IMDb > End of Watch (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
End of Watch

End of Watch More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 31: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Great Movie

Author: webster5212
11 October 2012

This movie was really a success. It shows what cops have to deal with especially in urban areas like this movie. The directing of the movie was amazing as well. The use of camera angles from the squad car cams to Gyllenhaal's camera, to the regular movie camera really gave the movie a great look.

The acting in this movie was exceptional as well. Gyllenhaal and Pena do an incredible job and made this movie very realistic and believable in my opinion. It shows what they and their families have to go through. It also shows hows cops interact with one another and form a strong brotherhood. Overall, this is a must see movie!

Only movie that made me teary eyed at the end

Author: Jmsmanochio from United States
30 May 2013

What a beautifully shot movie. Found it on Netflix last night and it's still as good as it was when I saw it in theaters. Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena were extremely dedicated to their roles and as a result were very believable as good friends; they actually reminded me of my best friend and myself. I usually find myself liking cop movies OK, but never see them as anything spectacular, and there are some scenes that I felt ran by too slow, but that's frankly the only complaint I have on the film. Everything else about it is pure gold! The acting, the directing, the atmosphere, and especially the ending. Never have I felt so emotional at an ending as I did for this one, it was utmost perfection for an emotional ending. I easily rank it up in my top 10 favorites and as the best cop movie I've ever seen.

Waste of a Redbox rental

Author: asia_30 from United States
9 May 2013

On a positive note, I only wasted 2 hours of my life and $1.30 for the rental of this movie.

The negatives are many:

1. Documentary-style filming by an on-duty policeman. Talk about fantasy.

2. The main characters dialog consists of using an expletive for every other word. No one talks that way - and I seriously doubt that real police swear that much. My guess is that the producers were worried that, if they took out the expletives, the movie would only be half as long as it was. Or, that the writers may have to (gasp) actually write something along the lines of story or plot.

3. The villains in the movie also use an expletive for every other word. Annoying and I doubt that criminal masterminds have to use all of that to make their way up the food chain.

4. Plot or lack thereof: I really didn't see any character development for any of the supporting or main characters. In the end, I just didn't care very much about any of them.

5. Overuse of the words "bro" and "dude". Are the main cop characters police or are they surfer dudes? Srsly.

6. Ending: Just abrupt and non-fulfilling. One could think that the production ran out of money and they decided that this would be a fine time to roll the credits.

Summary: Save your life force for watching something else. Or, just take a nap.

Good aspects in need of a better whole

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
16 February 2013

This is a very odd film indeed and I find it quite hard to sum it up because my opinion would be different depending on which part or aspect of the film you pointed to. On one hand we have a standard cop thriller where two decent cops play rough and tough and find themselves up against a drug cartel with lots of shootouts and movement. On the other hand we have a documentary-style delivery that hangs out with the characters and engages in banter and sees aspects of their lives outside of the job. It is mostly this latter aspect that carries the film while the former tends to reduce its value as a film. It is very much a case of good ideas adrift in a film that really doesn't need them.

The film is mostly delivered through cameras carried by the various characters and, as a device it does do a good job of summing the film up – because it is as effective as it is flawed. So it does give it a gritty feel and introduces a lot of movement and energy, but then it also means the characters all have to have cameras (or be on camera) even when it doesn't make sense of them to be. It mostly works though – mostly. The plot involves action that seems to below in a much less realistic film, I am surprised to read others here praising the film for its realism – I'm sure that aspects of it are based on reality but at the same time it is all rather overblown and most of it would not be out of place in a straight-thriller like Training Day. This clashes with lots of banter while riding in cars and the mix never really works. For me though the banter does work and it gives the film a really natural tone that does draw you into the characters and, by extension, the plot.

The performances are strong and they do make the characters and the banter scenes work. Gyllenhaal goes for his character even when he is doing things that are corny and embarrassing (such as singing along with his girlfriend or doing a cheesy dance) because he is doing them because they seem real and fit his character. He has a good chemistry with Peña, who is also very natural in the banter scenes. The rest of the cast are mixed, mostly decent but also prone to cliché as they are not given the time to become more than this. It is the two lead actors that do the work though and their relationship makes the film better than it probably deserves to be.

A real mixed bag then; the delivery and the banter helps it feel fresh and real but ultimately it is stuff you've seen before and it does at times feel OTT. It has a heart and it did engage me though – but a big part of this was the playing of Peña and Gyllenhaal.

I liked it but it could have been so much better

Author: southfljb from Fort Lauderdale
28 January 2013

I checked this out on In-Demand last night. Over all I liked it, I thought the docustyle worked well here. It was creative and unusual, especially the dash cam pov used in the beginning. The film moves quickly and is certainly not boring. What didn't work was the cartoonish characterizations of the Mexican gang members. They were so over the top that I found them more funny than scary, especially the main Latina gang member. She looked like Lady Ga Ga on crack. The ambush scene at the end, totally over the top and unbelievable. The director had one to many red bulls the day they shot this scene, a good old fashion "Bullitt" style car chase would have been great, with the bangers chasing the cops ending in a massive I-5 pile up, now that would be believable. The worst scene was the cop and the black dude getting all cage fight at the beginning, what cop would do that? and if one of them was to do it, Jake's character should have been the one, not the family man side kick. There was a lot of promise but just a few bad scenes really brought it down.

"He's my brother"

Author: Harry T. Yung (harry_tk_yung@yahoo.com) from Hong Kong
20 October 2012

Additional spoiler warning!!!

This exceptionally fine piece of cinematic work starts not unlike your usual police procedural. But it soon breaks away from the genre, taking you into the heart and soul of the men behind the uniform, in more ways than one: heart breaking and soul searching.

The movie opens with a VO by Brian (Jake Gyllenhaal), an almost poetic monologue explaining to the audience to what a cop really is, more specifically the LAPD. We are then introduced to this pair of buddy beat police, the other one being (Mike) Michael Pena. The story told in a simple yet most absorbing way as we see this pair from both angles – professional cops at work and human beings same as the rest of us. As a refreshing change, this movie is not about corrupt cops – in fact, there is not one single corrupt cop in the entire movie. The two young protagonists do not always work in completely orthodox manners but these departures are just small eccentricities. In one arrest, Mike and the suspect, after hurling racial insults against each other (Latino vs black), agree on a one-on-one slugging out, with Brain gleefully watching on at the sideline. Other samplers of their varied "day in the office" include recovering a large amount of cash and drugs from busting a car and rescuing kids from a house fire they spot on their beat (thereby awarded with well-deserved citations).

Outside their uniform, we share the life of these two young men through courtship, marriage and childbirth. We share this, first and foremost, through the conversion of these two guys on their beat, riding in their police car. This is the best part of the movie. We hear them crack expected raunchy exchanges, as well as share their feeling, aspirations, hopes and fears, about things in general and about their respective loved ones. After a few casual relationships, Brian is getting really serious about his current girlfriend Janet (Anna Kendrick) while Mike is excited about his wife Gabby's (Natalie Martinez) pregnancy. Following them through how they share the joy of Brain's wedding and Gabby's childbirth, the audience gradually find they that have come to care about these people as if they were their own family. Deepest is the feeling from knowing that these two men are ready to lay down their lives for each other. In their line of work, such possibility, unfortunately, is far from being remote.

How this movie ends really doesn't matter because after the end of the MOVIE, all kinds of possibilities are lurking so long as these two guys stay in the force. While the movie can conceivably end with a happy scene of these two couples celebrating an anniversary, a promotion, or whatever, the thinking audience will come out of the theatre knowing that on the next day in the story, Brain and Mike might be dying dead on some mean street in South Central.

Gellenhaal and Pena are in top form turning in a performance that is at once exhilarating and heart-wrenching. Kendrick and Martinez in their supporting roles have made essential contributions in making this movie such a memorable cinematic experience. The impressive rating of 8.0 from users and 70% from critics in IMDb is well deserved.

a heart-pounding, found footage thriller that may be one of the best cop films ever

Author: tbmforclasstsar from United States
10 October 2012

Found footage movies have really become a major genre in the present cinema world. What started off as an effective way to add some scares to a horror movie has now moved to superhero films (Chronicle) and cop films (End of Watch), as well as several other genres. And while making a found footage film always ends in some issues with who would be filming what we are seeing and how to shoot everything so it is logically found footage, these films can be extremely effective.

This effectiveness is displayed in End of Watch.

Starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena, End of Watch is the story of two police partners and their run ins with criminals, a dangerous cartel, and the lives they live together as brothers and with their own families. As Officers Taylor and Zavala, Gyllenhaal and Pena are the lifeblood of this film. Everything hinges on whether we can believe them to be friends and partners and whether their relationship appeals to us enough that we care for the trouble they end up in.

Luckily, Gyllenhall and Pena are both brilliant in this film. And with dialog full of mocking jokes, pranks, and personal stories while they drive the streets of South Central LA and intense action shot right from the chest of each officer, both of their officer characters come to life in what is easily one of the most realistic and honest partner stories ever to be put on film.

Officers Taylor and Zavala are very good at their jobs, but it comes with some dangerous territory. The opening scene of the film is a car chase that ends in both officers having to gun down the suspects they are chasing after shots are fired at them. This is not the first time either has been in great danger in their line of work, and it definitely won't be the last time.

Part of the problem that comes from creating a found footage film with a cop film is that many of the action sequences call for frantic running and dark areas where it is hard to see what is going on. This could become painfully annoying with a movie made like this, but End of Watch does a fantastic job of making us aware of what is going on by switching camera angles, adding still cameras from cars and buildings, and giving us dialog between both officers that keeps us aware of what is happening. Now sure, there are many times when the footage on screen could not be from any of the characters or cameras that inhabit the world of the film, but we roll with it because the story is so intriguing, heart-pounding, and non-stop that we can't real waste time thinking who could be filming what we are seeing.

To read the rest of the review (IMDb form too short) visit:http://custodianfilmcritic.com/end- of-watch/

One of the Best Cop Movies Ever

Author: ClutchandMikemovies from United States
7 October 2012

"End of Watch" is not only one of the best cop movies ever made, its one of the best buddy movies ever made. To be honest, my expectations were quite low going to see this. The previews made it looks like a found footage movie in the buddy cop genre, but it actually turned out to be much more. First off, I have to commend "End of Watch" for not sticking directly to the point of view camera style. That technique has been beaten into the ground so much in recent movies that, quite frankly, I'm sick of it. Instead, "End of Watch" uses the point of view camera for moments that need to capture the realism that it offers. Other scenes are shown from the perspective of a third party narration that gives the film a nice smooth flow. Secondly, this movie doesn't fall into the problem that similar movies have: it has some great comedic relief. Sometimes a too serious of a movie is really nothing more than a let down, but "End of Watch" does a great job of mixing the humor of the two cops as well as some true grit action.

I guess I should mention something about the plot, but this movie is more of a free roaming look at two officers in the L.A.P.D. than it is a plot driven story. The two cops Brian ( Jake Gyllenhaal) and Mike ( Michael Pena) joined the force together and consider each other brothers. The main story of the movie involves them digging deeper and deeper into the cartel in Los Angeles. But the movie is much more about the two cops than anything else. It does a great job of slipping in their back story and making their close friendship very believable. There isn't a bad acted scene in the movie and all of the action is very intense. There are some tough to watch scenes, the film doesn't stray away from trying to capture the brutality that these kinds of officers would see on a day to day basis.

Like I said before, this is one of the best cop movies ever made. It is impossible to walk out of the theater without a new found respect for the officers who put their lives on the line. (As cliché as that sounds, you go see it and tell me I'm wrong.) This one of the best movies I have seen this year. If gritty cop dramas sounds like something your into, then this is my top recommendation.

Check out more of our reviews at www.clutchandmikemovies.blogspot.com

Pretentious and poorly directed

Author: zjwen from Netherlands
5 October 2013

I have to say, when I saw the trailer, I thought this was going to be a good movie, but it fails miserably.

This is supposed to be a "found footage" movie, but there is a shot from the sky and there are a couple of shots from the rear bumper of the car, also there are shots when no one else and no other camera's should be there. For instance, when they have sex, this is being filmed AND the camera is moving while filming. This could mean that they were acting out some sort of fantasy, being filmed by one of their friends, or this is just really poorly thought out. There are A LOT of scenes (I honestly think at LEAST 10 % of all the shots) that are filmed by "a third non- existing party".

Also, they try REALLY hard to make this movie "bad-ass" but they really fall back into badly acted and irritating stereo types (especially the Mexican gangsters).

I don't know why I have watched the whole thing, probably just curious if they could salvage at least something in the end, but it got worse and worse.

Finally I also wanted to comment on the gangster scenes. WHY do both parties (the black gang and the Mexican gang) have at least 1 guy filming them?? What would these gangs have to gain from that? They probably did this so they could show you some scenes through the eyes of the gangsters, but they already have truly messed this up as I have previously explained by showing "regular camera work" so why bother giving the gangsters cameras if they could have just filmed them in the conventional way??

I am really sorry for the amateuristic way of putting this all down, but I am Dutch, not English and I am really tired, so I really didn't want to spend to much time on this, but I just wanted to spill my guts over this abomination.

Two thumbs down, not worth watching, waste of time and money. I really don't understand why this gets such a high rating.

Good night

Like Southland but with better production values

Author: Steven Ball from Brentwood
8 March 2013

The hand held camera work gets old after awhile but the acting (script) and the interesting locale in the LA underbelly keeps you watching. I read in the trivia section that some of the dialoge was improvised. If so it came across as believable. The lead actors were great & it was good to see Ugly Betty in a role away from her TV persona. Anna Kendrick is not one of my favorite actors but here she kind of blends in. There is a strong line drawn between the "good" Mexican Americans & the "bad" Mexicans - drug cartel types. There also plenty of "bad" Negroes but not too many "good" Negro positive characters. Buddy cop movies are plentiful but this is one of the better ones.