IMDb > The Paranormal Diaries: Clophill (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Ignore These early reviews and make up your own mind.

Author: daitch chase from London
12 November 2013

To those who have quoted 'poor story' 'copying old ideas' fail to realise that these events are based on real life and a more than real location. This is a documentary fashioned for a wider audience. I grew up in the local area and have been to the Clophill site many times, by day and by night. Now I am not easily scared but there is a indescribable atmosphere surrounding the location. The folklore surrounding the site is legendary locally and rightfully so. I dare anyone who reviews this film based on previous watchings of the likes of 'Paranormal Activity't and the fake found footage style films to go visit the site themselves at the witching hour and then see if they still stand by the reviews they wrote. Take this documentary for what it is and the subject matter and do not base your critique solely on the execution of getting the 'true' story across. Then, as an individual, excercise your freedom to make up your own mind.

Not worth wasting any time on.

Author: martinh-949-805453 from Western Australia
15 March 2014

This is a terribly lame and boring piece, and you would do well to move on in search of something else. I was hoping for either an interesting investigation, or some nice chills from this 'documentary' but sadly I found neither.

The movie mostly consists of middle-aged English guys, who probably think of themselves as "not easily scared", being incredibly easily scared and filming their own hysteria in the absence of anything else happening. At all.

Confirms my plummeting opinion of modern English "Most Haunted" type shows as being even worse than the US varieties. What a shame.

One of the stand out horror films to come out of Britain in recent years

Author: FinalGuyHorror from United Kingdom
8 February 2016

Combining elements of Most Haunted, Blair Witch Project and The Wicker Man in a documentary melting pot may not sound like the most entertaining concept for a horror film, but then Clophill is not your average horror film. This latest feature from Off World Films and Bleeding Edge Films is a refreshingly understated and enjoyable take on a sub genre that has been recently defined by decidedly third rate fare.

Set in the actual village of Clophill in the UK, a place that has an actual history of haunting and occult activity, and shot in a documentary style the film follows a group of film makers that has set out to investigate the ruin of St Mary's Church. The now derelict building was once the site of satanic rituals and animal sacrifices, and a history of strange sightings and other paranormal activity has persisted to this day. Surrounded by a frightened and superstitious local population the team sets up for a three day investigation, unaware of what lurks at the old graveyard or what danger they may be in.

While undoubtedly marketed as another found footage affair, PD:C is very much a mockumentary; the first third of the film is made up almost entirely of interviews and voice over work. This adds credibility while allowing the filmmakers to let the situation dictate their exposition, without the over reliance on otherwise banal dialogue. This approach also allow the viewers to build a rapport with the characters and the situation, which helps to buy into the more traditional found footage horror elements of the film's final act. It's also worth nothing that the crew have confirmed that around 90% of the on screen action was based on actual experiences of the team while filming.

For people expecting a traditional, jumpy horror they are likely to be disappointed; PD:C is much more interested in building tension and atmosphere than throwing out cheap scares for ninety minutes. The film has more in common with the BBC's paranormal mockumentary Ghostwatch than Paranormal Activity, as the on screen action is presented in such a way as to be completely genuine. The scary moments, when they do come, are subtle and designed to make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck rather than force your bum from your chair. And while the inclusion of the post investigation interviews does add an element of predictability to proceedings it never affects the tension.

The performances of the cast are perfect across the board, and it never feels like watching anything but a sincere documentary film unfolding. The editing and setting are both spot on, and the camera work is admirably steady and a world away from the usual motion sickness inducing pap we have grown used to. There is a very British, stiff upper lip feel to the film that will certainly appeal to UK and European audiences. The story is very well written and executed, although if one were to pick a fault it was that the ritual element of the films last third could have been left on the cutting room floor with no detriment to the overall experience.

While PD:C may alienate a portion of the modern horror audience that has grown used to jump scares and gore the more discerning fan is likely to appreciate its attempts to do something different, shunning the predictability that this sort of film usually emits in great, stinking waves. One of the freshest and most enjoyable entries into the found footage genre we have seen in years, and one of the stand out horror films to come out of Britain in recent times.

Not a bad film but daitch chase hasn't a clue

Author: Daman-Malone from New York, NY
13 June 2015

This movie is not a bad watch. It's got a good foundation of a story based on "Real Events" and the subject matter is always intriguing to watch. This being said I watched this film without reading any reviews or even reading the synopsis. After watching I started to read up on the reviews on here and there have been some very good opinions however daitch chase who left a review more to defend the movie clearly has an ulterior motive. I make it a habit to watch movies for entertainment and if it happens to peak my interested to find out more I will, but this is my own personal guide line, in any so called "REAL" movie if they people in the said "REAL" movie happen to be on IMDb with a list of credits I take their experiences to be more of an act than anything else. After all they are making a MOVIE even if the so called trivia states 90% of the film was real and not rehearsed. Actors are trained to react to their environment and place yourself as the character you are representing. So in a paranormal movie I expected much of the shaking of the camera, out the blue shock noises and just on the noise lets face facts when you walk do you have a score or musical effects follow you? no so at some point editing and sound and possibly visual effects were added. So this is a good movie but don't be like daitch chase if you like it great if not oh well. But don't pop at people who slate it.

Not a masterpiece, but not a failure either!

Author: marable-653-279035 from United States
11 October 2014

This movie plays out like a reality TV show/documentary. There isn't a lot of action to be had with this film. But if you like Ghost Hunters or Ghost Adventures, then you will probably like this as well. There is nothing new in this film, but it works well for what it is. It is somewhat slow as with most of these types of films... Interviews with "witnesses" first, followed by a night or so of "data collection/baseline events", followed by the "real" investigation. I was able to watch it without fast-forwarding through as I do with most movies like this. Acting wasn't horrible and the characters were believable as "everyday" people investigating these types of events.

Read the real History on the Internet instead

Author: us_2 from United States
2 February 2015

First off, I love ghost hunting shows on TV and spooky, paranormal real-life stories. But, I couldn't bring myself to finish watching this movie. Maybe if it was presented as a real documentary, instead of a horror/mockumentary, it wouldn't have been so boring.

Sorry, but I really thought Paranormal Diaries: Clophill was a parody of ghost hunters. The large group of people with the Ouija board were kind of irritating. When the main guy told the others to speak when they felt something, and maybe someone else would feel it too - it's called power of suggestion and group hysteria. With the ghost box, one person would say they heard something, then everyone else nods in agreement, when you really can't understand anything coming out of it.

There was a preview of the Black Water Vampire movie on the disc, and I kept hoping that it would come out of the forest and eat the investigators.

It Was Surprisingly Enjoyable & Believable

Author: KKLuvNlife
31 January 2015

When I first picked up Paranormal Diaries: Clophill, I was not expecting anything more than another "found footage" flick to add to my watchlist.

Immediately, I was taken in by the set up with the interviews that included the names and location of the persons being interviewed. I thought this added a nice touch. The characters were very believable since they were an average looking group who didn't do the usual over acting you see in most of the low budget found footage films. I also really liked how they flashed back and forth from the footage to interviews...another realistic addition.

I always enjoy a film where I have to really read through all the credits to know for sure it didn't happen! If I have to even consider the possibility it may be true for even a moment, I call it a success.

I found it to be enjoyable.

Works well in tricking skeptical people like me

Author: nooware from France
1 October 2014

This is not an horror flick, but a suspense, thriller movie. This is not a remake of Paranormal Activity, at all. This is not either inspired by The Blair Witch Project. This is definitely not a Hollywood movie but an interesting UK project.

(((Beware: spoilers here)))

If you can bear the 99% of the movie where you secretly laugh at the documentary-makers building up their fears and beliefs facing what you believe is a big hoax, the very short sequence at the end will be great surprise for you.

I still don't believe what the protagonists say, that there could be demons, ghosts, or whatever supernatural involved. But in the end, there is something, that insane ritual involving humans. And a bad friendly man talking to a little girl looks very human too, though the main characters get convinced by the existence of paranormal facts they fail to explain.

During the whole movie which mixes documentary footage, making-of of this documentary and some fiction, there is nothing to prove anything paranormal. It's like those UFO sightings videos showing a small dot on the screen with pseudo-expert comments, excited witnesses playing with their fears, third-party reported hallucinations, material things that are not evidence, etc.

If you are skeptical like me, you will believe it's a hoax and wait for something unreal to happen towards the end. Another lame paranormal event, you just think, mocking the director for making this movie. But what you get to see is much more believable. You should just see it by yourself.

I cannot believe that i actually spent my time on this

Author: skortzeny from Belgrade, Serbia
12 November 2013

OK, first, it's one more "first person" camera, boring copy of the copy of so called horror movie. First 15 minutes i taught it might be something of it, but after 15 minutes a load of boring character appeared and started to talk!!! And they talk, and talk, and talk through all movie.From time to time, only faces were different, but even those new faces (at one point there was something like 7 of them in one place), were just talking about ghost, how they heard something about something else, etc. Then they walk all over the forest with some cheap night vision cameras, and filming trees and grave stones in the dark. Oh yeah, there was even a bunny hopping around the dark which got himself a ironic nickname given by one of the character. I used FF button a lot during this "masterpiece" and honestly, i didn't missed anything while skipping most boring pats, which is the most of this movie.

A documentary about ghosts can be found everywhere, but i guess that these guys didn't tried to shoot a documentary which would be only reason for filming something like this, and even then it would be bad.

Honestly, 6.2 of general score for this...."movie"? Not a chance. 1/10 from me. Of course, this is just my opinion, and i would not like to insult anyone.

WoW! So bad!

Author: Flow from Romania
10 November 2013

"The Paranormal Diaries: Clophill": even the name is a ripoff of other such movies, trying to get out there, by linking to better found footage films. This one is really, really bad, boring from beginning to end, nothing interesting, nothing original, nothing scary whatsoever, it's pretty much more of a documentary gone wrong made by The Asylum.

As imagined, it rips off everything that you've seen before, mainly TBWP: Book of Shadows and The last exorcism: starts with some interviews, a group of people going to investigate a place made famous by some rumors, the discovers made there are similar to both previously mentioned movies and then finally, comes a pitiful ending that at least gives you the opportunity to close the player and go get yourself a nice deserving drink! You'll need it! I will never recommend such a movie manly because it's just so boring! Nothing new at all, nothing remotely scary, just some people expressing their opinion, throughout 82 extremely dull minutes! Stay away from this one. It doesn't even have a real story, it's just a presentation of something, basically, it's a film without a real plot.

The Paranormal Diaries: Clophill aka Extreme Boredom: The movie.