IMDb > "Game of Thrones" Fire and Blood (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Game of Thrones: Fire and Blood (#1.10)"

"Game of Thrones" Fire and Blood (2011)

« Prev | 10 of 60 Episodes | Next »

Cult

Author: igoatabase from France
20 June 2011

One season, ten episodes, more than five hundred minutes. Our televisual journey only lasted two months and two weeks but I'll always carry it with me from now on. There're shows you keep worrying about. Will the next episode deliver ? You have doubts, you lose faith or you keep being disappointed over and over. But very quickly we learned that Game of Thrones plays in its own league. There will be a before and after it because it redefined how fantasy should be pictured on TV. Fire and Blood was in the same vein as the other nine episodes but it bore the steamy pressure of being the last installment of a stellar series that transported millions of viewers over the rainbow. Who could possibly expect it to be better than Winter is Coming ? Comparing them in terms of quality doesn't really make any sense because I think it's wiser to consider the episodes as a whole. Yes because season one was, is and will ever be a living organism of its own.

I don't know if watching the show changed your life but as a reviewer it opened my eyes. Before I used to only believe in spoiler-free writing but avoiding to reveal something important is pointless when it comes to Game of Thrones, except its pilot of course, because in terms of decision making I just can't see anyone who would need to read a review. Should I watch the next episode ? Pure heresy ! You can't resist the irresistible. Indeed from its inspiring substance to its award-winning production everything about this ultimate episode was excellent, and the whole show by extension. First all arcs were properly covered and even Bran was back ! Jon Snow new friends helped him choose his path. Little big Tyrion was forced to become the new hand of the king. As I wished for Arya is now a tiny Joan of Arc version and as expected the fainting Sansa is stronger than she seemed. Sophie Turner's performance was impressive considering the extreme emotions she had to play. The second element that made the finale so exceptional was the considerable amount of eye-popping or epic scenes. Robb Stark proclaimed King of the North by his men was epic and the smile on his face was majestic ! Richard Madden's talent made Sean Bean's sudden departure less painful. Ned lost his head but his soul moved to his eldest son's body. But of course the impact it had on us was nothing compared to peeping the old counselor faking insanity around Littlefinger's charming worker and his hunchback before entering the iron stage. The show is a casting model when it comes to leveraging the acting experience of the ancients !

Otherwise what we will really dream about is the last sequence featuring Daenerys and her magnificent babies. Seeing her delicate body among smoking ashes hosting freshly hatched dragons was oneiric. The T-Rex attack in Jurassic Park, Dragonheart seamless visual effects and now the rebirth of House Targaryen. Long live the Queen ! Such fantastic appearances are rare on TV and the last time I was so enchanted by them was probably while watching Primeval. However here the legendary animals looked as much as real as the dire wolves ! The odyssey was so epic that waiting for season 2 could be a living nightmare but in my opinion that inevitable break is a blessing. Indeed it'll leave latecomers like me the precious time they need to finally read A Song of Ice and Fire ! Fire and Blood ? A chalice of sacred water that revitalized our every cells and boosted our imagination.

Season 1 Review

Author: kkoller0693 from United States
8 January 2012

If I had to put it into one sentence, "Game of "Thrones" is a fantastic HBO series. While it is more dialogue than action for a fantasy series, it works out tremendously with great characters (backed up by great actors) and a complex storyline. For people who haven't watched this show before should give it a test run; it might work out for you in the end.

After the first episode "Winter is Coming", I knew that this series was a winner. While the writers threw a lot out at you in the first episode, with the Starks and Lannisters, it was never too much to understand. The episode showed a lot of sex, a lot of story and a lot of character development but it all fit into the one hour frame they had to work with. As the season continued, I never got tired of it. The dialogue, while there is a lot of it, never seemed to bore me which surprised me. I found myself to love the blood and sword fighting when it appeared but I never missed afterwards. I sort of got use to the idea that dialogue is going to be a huge part of this series.

While dialogue is most of the episode, "Game of Thrones" does give you some intense action sequences. The short battle between Jamie Lannister and Eddard Stark in the episode "The Lion and the Wolf" was suspenseful, graphic and very entertaining. Even the trial by combat the Vale in the episode "A Golden Crown" was both suspenseful and exciting. Those are some of the battles to be seen in this 10 episode season.

The series also does show it's fair share of twists and turns. Whether it was the death of a major character in the episode "Baelor" that made audiences so angry that they threatened to stop watching the show (seriously that actually happened) or story twists that threatened the King's life, the season never back down from giving audiences shocking twists to keep them entertained.

"Game of Thrones" Season 1 was absolutely amazing. The characters are greatly acted out (especially Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister the imp), the story is complex and full of twists, and the violence while not a lot until the final episodes are exciting to see and graphic. This was a powerful season and I strongly recommend it to anyone who loves fantasy and complex story lines.

By the way, since I have read the second book "A Clash of Kings" I can tell you Season 2 will be fantastic. I have read the first three and I believe Book 2 is the best of all of them.

9.5/10

Season 1: Densely plotted and full of mythical kingdoms but yet accessible, engaging, fun, compelling and dramatic (Mild Suggestive Spoilers)

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
17 July 2011

In the shadow of The Wire, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, Sopranos and so on, it is hard for HBO to launch a drama and let the audience discover how good (or not) it is for themselves. Even when it is good sometimes you can feel that it knows the expectation on it and also the calibre of the company it keeps. It was this way with Boardwalk Empire, where one could feel the rather worthy air it carried from the very start – like it had to be this way because of what it was and how much it cost. To a point Game of Thrones begins the same way and the promos for it were running for months before it was shown. For the first few episodes I wasn't sure about it as it begins with a lot of talking and a lot of explaining things to the viewer to provide sufficient base on which to build. It isn't all as clunky as that sounds but I did get the feeling of being in the middle of something very complex and not being allowed to enjoy the story because of how much time was being spent explaining. The excessive nudity also felt like it was being done for the sake of it, as I didn't have enough context and character yet to care beyond the superficial.

This lasted no more than a couple of episodes though because quickly the families are established, the main players are reasonably clear and I was able to concentrate on what was going on in the present rather than just the history between the various families. This history is important of course, but once the base is down, the writers can get it across to us in conversations and interactions rather than just telling us. At this point the show very much comes to life. I am not a big "swords and fantasy" fan, nor do I have any great desire to be lost in a world of novels where even the author struggles to keep track of who is who, but I do enjoy a good story well told and this is what Game of Thrones is. Allegiances are fleeting, characters may or may not have an agenda, all men are worthy and of their word until they aren't and so on. The plot twists and turns quite sharply at times but it doesn't overdo this, instead it lets them play out well, without rushing too fast or moving too slowly. As well as doing a great job of making it accessible and easy to follow, the writers did well to bring the emotions easily too. I felt the pain of betrayal (Stark in particular, for all his honourable naivety, caused me to catch myself at a few turns) but also the brutality of the ruling classing battling for power – we all know kingdoms are build on blood but here you really feel it and see it, to the point that even the "good" leaders will sacrifice 2000 men for the sake of a diversion to get closer to the prize. The cruelty of these people is evident and it makes their characters more dangerous and more compelling.

After a slow start the cast also come alive. Bean begins as the big name and he is a really good character to come into this world with – in the way that so many shows and films use the "wide-eyed newbie" as their partner for the viewer, Bean fills that role here while also still being a powerful presence. Clarke started the show as a "bad performance" as her simpering character seemed to only exist for the sake of nudity; however over the season her transformation into Queen is really well done and very convincing to the point that she stood out for me as one of the stronger actors and her nudity became secondary. Headey is "OK" but I found her too reserved and without any way of appearing to be more than she is – she grew on me a little but I still found her limited. Beyond these the cast is deep in talent and good performances where it is the likable Harington or the extent to which Gleeson makes his Joffrey such a cowardly yet cruel c*** (there is a 10 minute YouTube video of him being slapped over and over again by Tyrion – it is a great watch). Speaking of Tyrion, Dinklage is brilliant in this role – funny, scheming, likable and very well rounded as a character – he was always welcome on the screen. I could go on with Gillen, Williams and others but, like so many HBO shows, it is hard to draw a line.

Game of Thrones appears to be worthy and overly serious at first, perhaps struggling to escape the weight of the HBO logo at the start of the titles. However a few episodes in we have firm ground under our feet and the characters, plots and drama can begin. It seems complicated but it is not thanks to good writing, which is also the reason for it being so compelling. The actors, the sets, the locations and the scale of it all impress and of course the many open plots at the end will have me lining up for the second season when it comes.

The Return of the Dragons

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
19 April 2014

Yoren brings Arya with him and cuts her hair, giving her the appearance of a boy as a recruit of the Night's Watch. Master Luwin tells Bran and Rickon about their father's death. Robb is declared The King in the North by the lords that are following him. Tywin orders the cunning Tyrion to go to King's landing to serve as the Hand of the King as his substitute. Daenerys wakes up and learns that he son is dead and all the warriors have left them behind since Drogo is near death. Further the witch Mirri Maz Duur tells that she has revenged all the evil Drogo did to her city and people. During the night, Daenerys suffocates Drogo with a pillow. At the Wall, Jon Snow learns that his father was murdered and decides to leave Castle Black. However his friends pursue him and convince him to return. Daenerys prepares a funeral pyre for Drogo and for burning also the witch. She also puts the three dragon eggs on the pyre. Then she walks into the flame and is consumed by the fire. However in the morning she rises like a phoenix with three baby dragons.

"Fire and Blood" is another excellent episode and season finale of "Game of Thrones". Now Drogo is also dead and the dragons have returned. I guess what will happen when Stannis receives Ned's letter telling that Joffrey is not the son of Robert. They will certainly claim the Iron Throne, but Tyrion is smart and has been assigned Hand of the King. I am also looking forward to see Jaime beheaded. My vote is ten.

Title (Brazil): "Fire and Blood"

Nothing else really compares.

Author: jonpak from United States
7 September 2012

As a fan of the series, loving both season 1 and 2 so far, I've recently rewatched season 1 and was struck at how epic this series really is. There are many good shows out there but for most shows, even the good ones, most scenes fade away with time. There is something different about "Game of Thrones" - akin to "Star Wars" in my estimation in the sense that there are characters and scenes that etch into one's consciousness (and from reading posts, I don't think I am the only one with this view). The final scene of season 1 is one of the best that I have ever seen on any screen - beautiful, powerful and transformative. Game of Thrones is marked with these moments of complete transformation - when you know the characters are forever changed and nothing will ever be the same.

Best Debut Season I've ever seen

Author: GibsonExplorer1976 from Canada
13 May 2013

The title of this review says it all. Never have I been so pulled into a series and made to care for its characters the way this show has done. This season has been overall spectacular in all departments.

One of my favourite qualities of this series is that there are multiple connected story lines happening simultaneously, so the second half of the season is non-stop payoff with episodes drowning in riveting scenes. Almost every actor portrays their part flawlessly and the dialogue is sharp and unforgettable.

The final two episodes might be the two best hours in television, and that says a lot considering the competition.

Best Episode: Baelor (09) Best Actor: Sean Bean

The end of a fantastic season!

Author: Red_Identity from United States
20 July 2011

So I finished Game of Thrones' first season. First off, I want to say that the episode was fantastic. You know, I expected the battle to take place in this first season's last few episodes but there is really no complaint.

What is seriously fantastic about this series is that it still gives it's characters enough story to fully engage as a character-drama. That is what makes it hit on a deep level emotionally. This episode never became anti-climactic because it still delivers great story-telling. The last scene was truly fantastic, not to mention the musical score. I don't want to wait long for the second season.

Season finale

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
3 October 2013

The season finale has the Lannisters fighting with the Starks. The Lannisters are evil and Geoffrey took over when the King died and beheaded Eddard Stark. The Starks must deal with Eddard absence and one older son took over. There are two sub stories merging. 1 the winter is coming and the North Wall is out to investigate the White Walkers. 2 The Dragon Queen has proved herself with fire, and has an invading Tars army and wants the throne. The huge sub-stories mixed in with soap opera scandals will have the audience wanting more next season. A well direct and acted H B O series. H B O pushes the envelope with the sex and violence of Game of Thrones. Eight out of Ten.

Great first season finishes and leaves us wanting more

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
6 September 2014

The event that closed the previous episode (the most shocking ending to a TV show ever) opens the last episode of the first season, and from here nothing will ever be the same in the Seven Kingdoms. I need to mention great performances in this episode from Emilia Clarke, Iain Glenn, Michelle Fairley, Sophie Turner, Richard Madden and Kit Harrington.

I have praised Little Maisie Williams as Arya Sark several times over previous episodes of the first season, and her performance is no less than you would expect from her, but she is given less to do here than one might hope. (Though we do see her turn the tables on a fat bully called Hot Pie who tries to steal Needle from her)

Peter Dinklage shares a great scene with Charles Dance, when Tywin makes Tyrion the acting Hand of the King. Like Williams I have praised Dinklage an awful lot during the first season, and their performances have made the characters two of my favourites. With Daenerys and Jon Snow tying for third.

The final moments of the episode, one of the most iconic scenes in the whole of the series are a wow moment.

Bring on season 2

Not perfect, yet a great way to end a great first season

Author: axel-koch from Austria
2 July 2013

There really weren't many things happening in Game of Thrones' first season and therefore it seems quite disappointing that it's over by now and this episode already is a set-up for season 2. But that is definitely the only disappointing thing to find with this season finale.

Directly continuing where 'Baelor' left off, 'Fire and Blood' shows us the dramatic aftermath of Eddard Stark's beheading. We see the reaction of every Stark family member and those scenes are some of the emotionally best in the series yet. After that, the matter changes somewhat too quickly, and Robb Stark's army is back to planning for war with all of them now recognizing the eldest Stark child as the true king of Westeros, however, this was also a very interesting moment. Preventing the story from dragging in the middle part are a great conversation between Tyrion and his father and Daenerys waking up again (in case you've forgotten: there was some serious stuff going on with her in the last episode too!)

The only part that wasn't as good as it could've been was, once again, the storyline at the Night's Watch. Unfortunately, some of the acting was weak and the pacing didn't work very well either. All in all, I didn't feel as thrilled as I felt when I saw 'Baelor' for the first time. But then, there comes this awesome final scene that will impress the hell out of you. Emilia Clarke is completely Emmy-worthy in these last five minutes and the closing shot is freaking amazing.

I really liked almost everything about 'Fire and Blood' and I would say that it's the 3rd best episode of GoT's first season. It's utterly entertaining and I could hardly think of a better way to end this excellent first season.