IMDb > "Whitney" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Whitney"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Whitney" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Wow, these reviews are ridiculous!!!

Author: Todd Short from Shorewood, Illinois
8 November 2011

Sometimes I can't believe the crap people write in these reviews. I'm convinced that the same people slamming this show are the ones writing how wonderful Glee is. Unreal. I personally love this show. There's one reason in particular that warmed me to it. They laugh and smile at jokes during the show. It has always bothered me that in popular shows such as Friends and Raymond when a character says something hilarious that nobody in the show ever laughs or seems to even pay attention to the joke. Super phony. In Whitney they not only acknowledge jokes but they seem to almost come out of character to laugh or smile a little at them. This makes the characters even MORE likable and keeps me thoroughly interested. I enjoy Whiteneys attitude towards romance and the typical "women" things. It makes her interesting. Her bf on the show is great as well, probably even better than her. I'll continue watching to see how it progresses.

I like it.. not sure why other people are so disturbed by it

Author: Christina Pea from Canada
11 January 2012

I like the show because I can relate to the awkward relationship humour. I don't know why everyone is so insistent on bashing the show in these reviews. It's a sitcom about two people learning to co-exist and navigate each others personalities and idiosyncrasies. A laugh track is on EVERY sitcom, so not sure why people insist on pointing it out here.

Anyways I like the show, but perhaps you need to be able to relate to it to get some of the humour. I think it's funny, lighthearted and I like the characters. I think the actors play the character's well and deliver the lines as naturally as they can considering it's a sitcom and all sitcom character's tend to be kind of overly emphasized.

Really enjoy it!

Author: erinmm2005 from United States
2 November 2011

Based on the other reviews on here, this show is not for everyone. However, I really enjoy this show. It has some very funny one-liners and the cast is enjoyable to watch. Whitney Cummings (Whitney) and Chris D'Elia (Alex) are great comedians and have good chemistry! The relationship situations they get themselves into are totally blown out of proportion, but I think that is part of what makes the sitcom funny. The sarcasm at times is hilarious! I don't think it has been on long enough to really hit its stride, but it has been picked up for a full season, so I am sure it will be even better by the end of the season. I will definitely continue to watch. If you have never seen it... please give it a chance!

Funny is in the ear of the beholder...

Author: StefaniePerez from United States
30 September 2011

All the negative reviews are astounding! I cannot believe that people think NBC would choose to air a "horrible" pilot. I LOVED the show, from start to finish. Whitney has sharp wit and Chris D'Elia makes the show just as funny. Without allowing my review, nor the several others, give the show a chance and WATCH it!! I don't agree with some of the other reviews. The actors do complement each other, and it is almost as if the show was written specifically for them to be in the show. They have great chemistry on screen. The humor is sarcastic, and on point. The group of girls have funny jokes followed up by great acting. Yes, I won't deny that the laugh track is bad... but aren't they all? I must say, I am a fan of the humor for sure! I will continue watching the show, and I may not always be home to watch it, but will DVR it. It's nice to be able to look forward to getting home, to unwind and watch a good show.

One of the best new comedies!

Author: kdsnail from Redlands CA
9 October 2011

After seeing Whitney in a stand-up routine on some cable special, I had to give her new show a chance. I was not disappointed.

Other than the canned laughter, which producers feel the need to run every 8 seconds, the show has fresh faces with sharp wit. Whitney says what women should be able to voice - and that's the sharpness of this show. In a society where people expect women to have a limited intelligent contribution, Whitney dares to challenge the status quo without being offensive. To round out the lead roles, her boyfriend on the show does not play a wimp, but is a second person that can match her vibrant approach to life.

Watch it more than once and Whitney will charm you with her flair.

great show

Author: iddqd87 from United States
9 October 2011

First off, I do NOT usually watch TV, besides Always Sunny, Burn Notice, Community and some other random shows. I laughed at some of the commercials and thought it was worth a look.

I actually laugh out loud at this show. Rare for me. I think they are both very funny and its filmed in front of a studio audience so the laughs are more tolerable and when they get each other to crack a smile you can tell its real.

I hope this show stays for a long time, I really enjoy it and I think the 4/10 is pretty harsh. Its far better, more clever and genuinely funnier and well timed than most other shows out there.

really not bad

Author: diggus doggus from United Kingdom
13 January 2012

in today's internetz world, TV reviews matter less and less - watch an episode online, and if you don't like it, no harm done - after all, it's not a movie showing where you need to pay a ticket.

But Whitney isn't bad at all, and surely not as bad as the other reviewers make it out to be.

Perhaps it's the fact that i understand the characters, have been there (with the permanent girlfriend who burns for a marriage proposal that's not going to happen), or maybe it's my cynicism that's too close to the show's and makes me appreciate the jokes - in fact, this show makes me laugh; not laugh out hard, tears kind of laughing that Friends does, or the occasional solid laugh i get out of a Family Guy episode, but nonetheless, it's still plenty watchable for a TV show. In fact, i'd say that this show is about as funny as 2 Broke Girls is, and though neither is *that* funny, they both do well when your other alternatives are teen angst vampire chick-flicks.

Also, Roxanne is hot.

My vote: a cool 7/10

It's always a bad omen when the forced laughter comes every few seconds...

Author: Asteri-Atypical from Orlando, FL
22 September 2011

...and this was no exception.

Despite the fact it was claimed it was "filmed in front of a live audience", I no more feel this laughter was genuine, from the heart, than the impersonal machines which usually are the hallmark of a poorly-written crapfest comedy.

Since it was Whitney Cummings, I thought I'd give it a chance. Despite being a bit "cheap / crude", she seemed to have some wit in some of her routines. Sadly, no such wit was present in this brainless comedy.

This is not "amusing in a low-brow sense like Larry the Cable Guy or Jeff Foxworthy" comedy. It's just pointless, without anything unique or clever. This is just the same brain-dead sitcom we've seen before a zillion times, with a zillion different names.

I gave it a shot. It didn't cut it.

Nothing new here, folks.

This show should come with a Surgeon General's warning

Author: shakespeareandoll from United States
22 September 2011

Don't waste your time watching this.

The entire show lacks on any sort of conflict or real storyline. It relies on the fact that the main characters are unmarried and living together. Unless you've recently time-traveled from the year 1875 where this premise would be considered mind-blowing or vaguely astonishing, none of this will wow you.

Every single (and I do mean EVERY single) character is an unbearable mess. They seem like caricatures dreamed up by someone who has been living underneath a cardboard box and just recently came back into contact with other human beings.

The laugh-track on this show drowns the majority of the lines said by the actors, making it impossible to even enjoy any of the one-liners if you wanted to. Oh yeah, did I mention the fact that this show is entirely compromised of unfunny one-liners? I'm even pretty sure one of the lines was stolen from a Tyler the Creator rap.

Overall, this show is an absolute mess. Sorry Whitney.

Damn good show, solid characters

Author: David Losi from United States
28 February 2012

Much to my surprise, Whitney ends up being a very funny show. The surrounding characters really round out this sitcom to create scenes that are damn funny and memorable. All of Whitney's friends are a little weird in a good way. Her boyfriend Alex is so off it's funny. He does weird voices and movements with his body that are so unique that you just need to watch it to understand how funny it can be. Roxanne is another special character that has the ability to do physical humor and her timing is spot on. Lilly and her fiancé are especially difficult to figure out and were a bit slow to develop but I am now really digging their dynamics and want to see where that strange couple ends up. Whitney's parents have not played a huge part so far and it may be good to see a little more of them but what I have seen of them I was not in love with. The characters need more development but all in all this show was a gem to find and I am shocked that this show is not at the top of the list of best new comedies. So, check this out for yourselves and I think you will be shocked how damn sharp it is.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]