IMDb > Agneepath (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Agneepath

Agneepath More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 15: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

MY REVIEW: The Dark Rises

Author: Sandeep Gupta from Jaipur, India
18 February 2012

Karan Johar picks the cult Agneepath produced by his father 22 years back and Karan Malhotra like a expert craftsman gives it a new shape and shine. The uncomplicated revenge drama unfolds on screen like a massive mission. The direction is top-notch and cinematography is world class. Like the old Agneepath which made Amitabh win a national award, this time you see Sanjay Dutt turning evil into an icon like Gabbar Singh, Shaakaal or Moogembo. Hrithik gives Vijay a new identity and excels in emotional scenes. Priyanka Chopra makes good use of her short and sweet role. But it is Rishi Kapoor that takes you by surprise by essaying a role of foul mouthed pimp in a manner that will be remembered for a long time. The comparisons with old classic are inevitable but seeing this raw energy on screen in this modern era is a rare experience. Although movie suffers a bit by long drawn emotional scenes in second half but performances keep you going with the drama. Music and background score help the narrative moving and keep the intensity high.

Overall, this is a mass entertainer that doesn't sacrifice story telling for the sake of stylish entertainment. It shall be remembered for bringing performers of three different decades.

A poor remake

Author: anshul2001anshul from India
18 February 2012

Producers may claim that they were not marking remake on some minor plot points ( like husband of amitabh's sister) or no development of character of Amitabh's dad but still movie has imprint of old flick

plus - choice of very good location as mandwa, Om Puri, Rishi Kapur and minister were apt for their role. Praise for rishi kapur who shines in possibly first negative role in his life. Fight between his son and himself has certain godfather movie like feeling there are many opportunities which are wasted. e.g. Kancha's near maniacs is never explained, though towards end his dad is shown as proverbial uncle of Ravan who tried to stop him.Similarly in old movie goga kapur though less frightening but comes out as more scheming character which Sanjay dutt does not fight scene towards end is completely ridiculous and sole aim of it seems to show physique of Hrithik. Priyanka chopra is also wasted in small insignificant part. Praise for lady playing sister of Hrithik, she does not have many dialog but she delivers by her eyes

An Eye For An Eye May Not Turn the Entire World Blind..Exceptions Are Possible

Author: Sai Vineet Mohan Sinha from India
9 February 2012

An Eye for an Eye will turn the Entire World Blind. This may not always hold good. Especially if one's just and righteous father is brutally killed in front of one's eyes with no fault of his. This lays the foundation of the vengeance in the mind of his twelve year old son which gets unleashed post fifteen years. Needless mentioning that this very road and path to avenge is Agneepath. For the unknown - Agneepath is a famous poem by Harivansh Rai Bachchan. Karan Malhotra's Agneepath is not exactly a Remake of Mukul S Anand's Agneepath. It is by all means a Tribute to Amitabh Bachchan Starrer Yash Johar's Cult Classic Agneepath - 1990. Many Critics panned it mentioning it as a rip – off from Al Pacino starrer Scarface - 1983. Nevertheless it fetched National Award for Amitabh Bachchan, Filmfare Awards for Mithun Chakraborty and Rohini Hattangadi. Karan's Agneepath - 2012 is almost exactly the same as Mukul S Anand's Agneepath - 1990 for the initial 15-20 minutes of running time. Subsequently, it charts its own course and path. Though, similarities are plenty – Neelam plays Vijay's Sister, whereas new entrant Kanika Tiwari excels in the same role as Shiksha Chavan, Rohini Hattangadi - Suhasini Chavan as Vijay's mother to Zarina Wahab essaying Hrithik's mother to absolute perfection, Vikram Gokhale as honest Police Commissioner to Om Puri playing the role of Commissioner Gaitonde to A 'T'. Kancha Cheena played by Danny Denzongpa is still the same after 22 years in the character of Sanjay Dutt. If similarities are to be talked about, then why leave the differences. To top it all, there is no Krishnan Iyer MA the Coconut Seller turned life savior turned right hand of Vijay. The Nurse played by Madhavi – Marry Matthew gets replaced by the daughter of sex worker Kaali played by Priyanka Chopra. If Vijay Dinanath Chavan wears White Jacket, Trousers and Shoes, then Viju who lives in a Mumbai Chawl wears White Shirt, Jeans and Kolhapuri Chappals. Vijay Dinanath Chavan had Contessas for him whereas our Viju cruises on his Royal Enfield. Agneepath -2012 works mainly because, of the director's sincere effort. The Screenplay written by Karan Malhotra is water – tight and very fluent. With a running time of approximately three hours, not even once the audience gets distracted, from start to finish the audience attention is deeply rooted and eyes glued into the screen - courtesy to the water – tight and fluent screenplay. He could have blatantly copied yesteryear's Agneepath, but he did not want to disrespect it. For instance, there is no mention of "Name, Vijay Dinanath Chavan - full name. Father's name, Master Dinanath Chavan. Mom's name, Suhasini Chavan. Village, Mandva. Age, 36 years, 9 months, 8 days. We are in the 16'th hour" – which was the quintessential way of Amitabh introducing himself. In Karan's Agneepath, this comes in almost the Climax, when Viju introduces himself to his childhood friend turned foe and Kancha Cheena's Right Hand Man – Surya played by Pankaj Tripathy. Technically both the films are brilliant – if Kader Khan was to be credited for penning memorable dialogues then we cannot leave behind Piyush Mishra either. If Pravin Bhatt was rolling the Camera in Amitabh Bachchan's Agneepath, then Kiran Deohans and Ravi K Chandran's Cinematography too is top notch. If 1990's Agneepath was edited by Veterans - Waman B. Bhosle and Gurudutt Shirali, then we have to credit Akiv Ali for crisp editing of 2012's Agneepath. Switching from Technicalities to the performances – Rishi Kapoor's performance as the Drug-lord of Mumbai - Rauf Lala, who auctions girls at his den is excellent. Katrina Kaif is the Eye Tonic as Chikni Chameli. The Number is beautifully choreographed by Vaibhavi Merchant. Sanjay Dutt takes Kancha Cheena to next level, bald look, black clothes with his trademark swagger, holding Bhagvad Gita in one hand smoking Chillum. He is undoubtedly the uncrowned King and Rules the island of Mandwa. Priyanka Chopra though may not have a meaty role, but still does ample justice by portraying a Maharashtrian Girl – Kaali. Hrithik has once again proved, he is in the big league along with the Khans with his clinical performance. He may be a henchman of Rauf Lala, toppling him to wrest his empire later on, but remains grounded in spite of all his power. He donates all his money, runs charitable hospitals under the name of his sister, treats the residents of chawl as his own big family, runs into confrontations with his mother, marries his childhood friend, plays savior to Commissioner Gaitonde. Having said that, Viju has his mind, body and soul set on one target, one mission which is to avenge the death of his father. For that he knows very well; he has to tread Agneepath.

Entertainment at it's best, even for those who haven't seen the original.

Author: joty-brar from Canada
9 February 2012

Disclaimer: I have not seen the original Agneepath (1990), so this review does not compare the two movies in any way.

Agneepath is a remake based on the a movie from the early 90's that achieved a cult-like status. Considered widely to be one of Amitabh Bachchan's greatest movies (which is not an easy feat), this movie was remade with an entirely different cast.

The strongest point of this movie was the cast. In my opinion, this is one of Hrithik Roshan's best movies. I know I say this after almost every one of his movies, but I really do mean this time. The way he portrayed a character who's sole purpose in life is to avenge the death of his father was subtle yet amazing. Priyanka Chopra, what can I say about her, I love her. She did not have the biggest role, but she worked with what she had and made her character memorable. The best surprise in the movie was Rishi Kapoor. I've always seen him play the bubbly, loving father role so his character was a complete surprise. And last, but certainly not the least, Sanjay Dutt's portrayal of the evil Kancha was dynamic. From the trailers leading up to the movie, I thought this was going to be Sanjay Dutt's movie with his Indian Voldemort-like characterization. Now that I've seen it, it was Hrithik Roshan's movie hands down.

The music was alright. My favorite part of a movie is usually the music and this movie did kind of disappoint. The high points were Chikni Chameli with Katrina Kaif and the background score. Other than that, I really don't remember the music which isn't a good thing.

Overall, Agneepath was a nice surprise because I really wasn't expecting anything going into it. I had the nice advantage of not knowing anything about the storyline as I have not seen the original. The music could've been better, but the acting did make up for it in ways.

Rating: 8/10

An average movie with few good performances !

Author: Gen Fu from India
30 January 2012

The first half of the movie is somewhat enertaining, but post interval the movie gets too slow and sluggish and transmogrifies into a disaster. The movie is is full of melodrama. Sometimes, it gets too over the top to digest. Few performances were good though, which makes you half-mindedly stick to your seat. Rishi Kapoor has played the character "Rauf Lala" quite amazingly. Another great performance by him after "Do Dooni Chaar". Om Puri did full justice to his role. Sanjay Dutt was okay. Zarina's performance was overblown. Hrithik was indeed a bad choice for such a strong character, specially when this character has already been portrayedin the past by The Legend - Amitabh Bachchan. He can dhishoom- dhishoom in Krrish and vroom-vroom in Dhoom2, but he can not do an intense Vijay Dinanath Chauhan. He completely failed to have a grasp on the tone of the character and what is demanded of him as the character. Overall, the movie disappoints.

Agneepath Agneepath Agneepath

Author: Vijay (moviewalah) from United States
28 January 2012

Vijay Chauhan is back. He's back to remind us how powerful "Vijay Dinanath Chavan" was! "Dongri Ki Barsati Mein Rahne Wala Mumbai Bechne Aaya Hai..." Well, that tells a lot about new Viju's stature. By now you must have got the point that you are at a wrong place to read the review of this week's release. If you watch it just as another movie, chances are you may still like it. But again chances of you doing so might be credited more to Rauf Lala and deadly Kancha Cheena, who does not live no more in Kaanch Ka Mahal, than to Vijay.

Read this review at: www.moviewalah.com

Very little he did as a child to fulfill the promise he gave to his mom. Oh wait, he did not make any promise. Suhasini Chauhan was missing the whole time. It took an hour for him to grow up, in which not much interesting happened. Then for a while he looked lost in an Angaar-like family. Soon, at one point (Yaari Hai Imaan Mera moment to be exact), I just started to like the new conniving Vijay, but lo the next scene he reveals it all and thereon the movie drags into any usual run of the mill revenge drama. Gaitonde Saab did not need to Sudhaaro anyone here. In fact, even he had better lines than today's Gunda, Haain.

Before I start writing about Krishnan Iyer MA, Chanda Bai's Maa and Beti, Dhinkar Rao's Topi and others, let me pull myself back. Go and watch Agneepath. It's a well made movie with Hrithik being superb in a role, made iconic 22 years ago. In a restrained performance, he has done well by portraying it in an altogether different way. It's not his fault though that Mandwa this time actually belonged to Kancha and Mumbai was ruled by Lala.

Karan Johar has said this is his own revenge to the audience - Own son avenging his father's flop. Wonder how he forgot his father's flop is still re-watched nth time whereas no matter how much Moolah his blockbuster mints, it's not a repeat material. Give it max a month or two, and a month in 2013 during awards auction.

Karan, you should not have used a cult classic to sell your new movie, and of course not Chikni Chameli, who just lost a fan!

More Bollywood rubbish

Author: revenge_of_shinobi from United States
30 May 2012

I was a big fan of the original Agneepath so i decided to watch this even though i can't stand most Bollywood movies. The movie is very colourful, and as it started i thought i might enjoy it, but then came Sunjay Dutt. I saw the back of his bald head and thought "please, no, not this guy, please don't let it be him" but it was him. I hate Sanjay Dutt, whom from now on i will be referring to as Sunday Jutt because it's easier to swype and i don't respect him as an actor. I gave him a chance, and to be fair his character is written as one dimensional as can be, a sort of super villain. The director I think forgot he was supposed to be making gangster flick and instead thought he was directing some kind of Greek myth, the music blaring out right from the get go as if we all know of the legend of Vijay Chohan and recognise him as a gangster super star, when in fact he never does anything to deserve the moniker and music. The lead actor is very handsome but didn't have even a quarter of the charisma of Amitabh, I don't really think i ever empathised with him, his delivery was flat un-stylish and un-amusing, I certainly didn't want to be him, he was too damn boring. The only actor who was worth watching was Rishi Kapoor who i was admiring a quarter of the through the film before i when recognised him. The female characters are there... That's about it, they have 'standard' parts which you sort of have to bite your lip and get through because they kinda drag. I'm surprised they actually called this film Agneepath. Why recreate a film and then change the story line so much. It's essentially a different film that has some similarities but hardly worthy of being called a remake. it suffers from glorifying every word spoken by any of the main characters such that everything is supposed to be epic, there is no down time, no Krishnan Ayer Yum Ye to ground things, not even a great sound track like the original had. By the end it becomes a tedious crawl, i was having flashbacks of the eighties and nineties, of the "Dishahn Dishahn" punching sounds and the dying hero in his mothers arms. At one point near the end i thought the film might have a message, a couple of times there's a line spoken about a weaker man not being able to forgive a stronger man till he can beat him. I thought maybe Vijay might let Sunday Jutt go, but no, apparently Vijay did well not to listen to his wise father, he took nothing on board and got a lot of Cross dressers killed, still, as long as he looked a bit cool along the way eh? That's all that really matters.

Bollywood needs a serious dose of reality!!!

Author: jmiah91 from United Kingdom
8 April 2012

I never write movie reviews but I felt forced to do so for the first time after watching Agneepath. I decided to watch Agneepath after watching the trailer which made the film look very intense and exciting. I hardly ever watch Bollywood movies due to the fact that they are so annoyingly cheesy, cringeworthy and unrealistic. In fact I've only watched a couple in the last 3-4 years.

After watching Agneepath, it was unsurprising that Bollywood is still where it was in the last few decades, that is hugely unrealistic! I enjoyed watching the movie until the last scene. I haven't watched the 1990 version of the film so the storyline was new to me.

My point of concern was the final fighting scene between Vijay and Kancha. I really don't know where to start with the criticisms. I mean I could count the number of times (5) Vijay was gruesomely stabbed and cut by Kancha in the last scene. I mean any normal human being would easily die after that. I was preparing myself for the fact that Kancha would remain undefeated at the end of the film. Then I realised I was watching a Bollywood movie where one is immersed in to a 'fantasy' world and anything can happen! To my shock, Vijay manages to get back on to his feet after being brutally stabbed with a sword 5 times! Not only that but he managed to grab hold of a rock which is at least 10 times his weight and threw it over Kancha. Also, he manages to pick Kancha up (It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure how heavy Sanjay Dutt is!!) Yes, something like that can only happen in Bollywood! A man who was so brutally stabbed suddenly gets the power to do all those amazing things!

So you ask what is my point?? My point is why do Bollywood movie makers have to be so unrealistic and stupid? Why did they have to show Vijay being stabbed with a sword numerous times before standing up on his feet?? Why couldn't they be a tad bit realistic and just show Vijay being the hero and taking the lead in the fight and bringing Kancha to justice?

I was left cringing watching the end of the movie. This is the reason why Bollywood is regarded as a joke in so many parts of the world. This is the reason why Bollywood will never be as big as Hollywood. They have the talent (awesome actors) but they don't know how to use it. My friends and I refuse to watch Bollywood movies simply because of the unrealistic nature of the movies. So my piece of advice is, take a serious dose of reality Bollywood movie makers!!!

Waste of time, energy and money

Author: brutus-walker-217-285165 from India
22 March 2012

Absolutely Rubbish Movie! If the title of this movie would have been anything else than Agneepath, it would have fallen flat on its face.It could do business only because of its name. Rishi Kapoo was indeed good. Hrithik is much better actor than this film. He was not at all convincing in the role of Vijay Dinanath Chauhan. Sanjay Dutt had a good physical appearance but could not carry it through his acting.He was looking funny delivering some of the dialog's. And what was Priyanka Chopra doing in the movie. Was she even required.

The story line was too weak. So much of pomp and show and such a rubbish product. This shows that if you spend good money on marketing you could earn from trash. Waste of time, energy and money.

Agneepath gets it's DUE..

Author: engrumair21 from Pakistan
11 February 2012

AGNEEPATH (Movie Review) ONE LINER:

Agneepath gets it's DUE..

EXPECTATIONS:

Watching AGNEEPATH in new era after 20 years, one says just WOW!!. But,thinking to see the classical AGNEEPATH made in new style, how can one create or act as AMITABH as VIJAY DINANATH CHOHAN or DANNY is KANCHA having their characters written in gold in history of Bollywood. So, automatically expectations, anxiously and curiosity to see new AGNEEPATH is high to the sky for sure!!.

STORY & SCRIPT :

Story here is just very very good written in a manner that it shows all new AGNEEPATH with having majot crisps of the old one.

Script is another beauty of the movie giving actors to perform historians, but still a much more crisp in the script and a bit of thrill would have made it gold. But still a beautiful script.

DIRECTION:

KARAN MALHOTRA as a Debut director made his one of the bravest move of his life and made AP again but thankfully not in the same fashion as the classic one was. He recreated it totally in his way having new angles and characters but maintaining the main characters original of VIJAY & KANCHA. His vision is just great and quiete wide and has made a wonderful action movie or we can say a wonderful dark action movie. He is here to stay, giving his vision to AP.

MUSIC:

In AP now AJAY-ATUL performs their duty of composers with guts. The compositions are just beautiful especially " ABHI MUJH MAIN " sung by SONU NIGAM and "O SAIYAAN" sung by ROOP KUMAR RATHOD. "ABHI MUJH MAIN" which sees the class of Sonu Nigam again. "CHIKNI CHAMELI" is their old composition. SHAH KA RUTBA is also nice so as GUN GUN GUNA.

The videos & choreography & the timings of the songs in the movie are just awesome. Whether you see SHAH KA RUTBA or GUN GUN GUNA. Katrina Kaif shows that how hard she works & make the mouths of people shut who claimed that she can not dance in CHIKNI CHAMELI. It's a chart buster in single screens gaining lots lots of whistles and cheer so as in multiplexes. ABHI MUJH MAIN is a total surprise . It's directed with great emotions and a beautiful angle & it makes you feel the emotions. Same was the case with O SAIYAAN as it's promo created astrong impact but for audience's disappointment it's there for only 30 seconds. Background music is just mindblowing. One of the best background music ever heard. What a impact it creates in the movie.

Music needs few hearings and u become fond of it. Overall a worth praising music.

CAST & ACTING:

HRITHIK ROSHAN as VIJAY DINANATH CHOHAN is a master booster for the fill in shoes of AMITABH but he delivers the role in his own way and has given one of his career best performance. His first out & out action movie. When u see his expressions, you literally become speechless that boss how brilliant are his expressions.Totally award winning performance.

SANJAY DUTT as KANCHA as got a worthy role after his Munna Bhai role. And his get up as KANCHA is just enough to make many people sleepless as he is totally fearful and he acts very well. Delivers a great performance. But at few places got over but is avoidable.

The biggest surprise is the new role played by RISHI KAPOOR of RAUF LALA. And what a avatar he has got and delivers a smashing villain performance. A total surprise. Both villains are just great.

PRIYANKA CHOPRA as HRITHIK's love interest, plays a sweet and naughty naughty bubbly character as KAALI.she has a proper role and she acts well so as she looks stunning in the movie.

ZARINA WAHAB and the girl played the role of sister and the role of father of HRITHIK , all have acted very well. All remaining actors have acted very well too.

PLUSSES & MINUSES: PLUSES: 1. Karan Johar attempting his father's great film AGNEEPATH again and showing confidence on KARAN MALHOTRA and the idea. Bravo. 2. Direction. 3. Post interval scene. 4. Brother sister chemistry, especially two scenes in this respect are master blaster. a. When VIJAY's sister comes to know about her brother. b. The complete scene brother sister spending time together and the dinner scene at home. 5. Initial scene when KANCHA gives punishment to VIJAY's father. 6. Music & background music. 7. Acting by all actors. 8. It's time duration on which many have said that it's dragged, but I think differently as in my opinion the movie is not at all dragged, it required this much time. Assume cutting LORD OF THE RINGS cutting by 30 minutes or ZINDAGI NA MILEGI DOBARA by 20 minutes, you would have missed entertainment of that time or cut BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT for even 15 minutes and it would have made loss of 15 crucial minutes for sure, all will agree i think. 8. Dark & violent action, as if it would not have been the case, the impact would have been less than this.

MINUSES: 1. O SAIYAAN video should not have been cut. 2. Script could have been much crispier and had a bit thrill. 3. Sanjay goes over at times.

CONCLUSION:

Overall the movie is an all & all entertaining action movie presented in a totally new style than the classic AP which made it's impact far better then if it would have been made for sure. A full package movie. Go for it !! RATINGS: 4.75/5.