IMDb > Agneepath (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Agneepath

Agneepath More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Thats what Bollywood is about....melodrama which tries its best to amuse you

Author: shreyansh richhariya from India
26 January 2012

"Agneepath!!!! Agneepath!!!! Agneepath!!!!" When Hrithik shouts this in the end the audience is left awestruck with a burst of emotions.

Comparing this to the original will be unjustified as both the movies have their own appeal....but certainly the Hrithik version can give you full value for your money if you are a fan of Bollywood/Hrithik.

With each movie he does, Hrithik evolves as a better actor and he has a huge fan base which can be seen by the enthusiasm of fans in movie screens throughout the country.

Both Sanjay Dutt and Rishi Kapoor did a marvelous job of portraying the bad(read evil) guys. And Sanjay Dutt surely surpasses the over hyped Voldemort through his exceptional acting and dialogue delivery. Priyanka Chopra as Kali was really impressive and sometimes very funny also.

The story-line is nothing very new, the evil villain kills father and then the son avenges his death, but no matter how many times this plot is used you cannot get bored if the movie is as well made as Agneepath.

As it is produced by Karan Johar, there is no shortage of emotions and colorful cinematography in the movie, and this time the action sequences are also very impressive.

The music was good and the background score was fantastic and in tone with the plot of the movie. There is something with revenge that keeps the average Indian mindset always interested and the makers of Agneepath have done a commendable job to provide what the audience wants to see.

Although there might be too much violence for those who don't like action flicks. I don't have any problem in watching violence or melodrama so obviously the movie rocks for me.

Watch this only if you can bear some violence and revengeful emotions.

PS : As everyone knows, Katerina Kaif appears in the song Chikni Chameli and believe me....this girl keeps looking more and more adorable and desirable...the perfect combination of HOT and SWEET

Author: Piyush Kumar from Bangalore, India
27 January 2012

The old Agneepath completely belonged to AB and the new one has HR written all over it...Hrithik is at his Bloody Best..The movie doesn't belong to Sanjay or Priyanka or anybody..It completely rests on HR's muscular Shoulders which he has carried with ease...This is clearly (one of) Hrithik's best performances ever where 'one of' is optional and can be removed depending on the audience ...I should not take the credit away from Rishi Kapoor as he was outstanding too.....Sanjay Dutt looked menacing but was let down by weak dialogues.. I really missed Kader Khan from the original. ( The most underrated Dialogue writer ) Statutory Warning : The movie is violent as per Bollywood standards.

Statutory Request : Comparisons are inevitable when a remake comes, but to enjoy the movie you will have to forget the old one completely..

Its a movie with old skeleton and a completely new soul.

Bloody, Brutal ... but Brilliant

Author: sshogben from United States
29 January 2012

A fascinating tale of moral redemption.

Images so powerful they linger in the mind hours after they've left the screen.

And the eyes, always the eyes … the eyes of Evil, the eyes of Truth.

A young man (Hrithik Roshan) must tread the dark and difficult 'path through fire' -- lit., 'agneepath' -- of challenge and personal sacrifice to avenge his family against the crimelord (Sanjay Dutt) who brutally murdered his father, dishonoured his family, and corrupted their whole community.

If the classic 1990 "Agneepath" pioneered one of the strongest stories ever in film (and was way ahead of its time, for Hindi cinema), this 2012 "Agneepath" preserves the most effective elements of that brilliant original story and revamps what needed help. Our villain is even more evil, and the road of challenges our hero must overcome to defeat him is correspondingly an even darker, more treacherous journey.

Raw. Powerful. Primeval.

Sanjay Dutt's Kancha is a villain for the ages. Visually, he scared me just on the poster! A big, bad, very bad man. The bald head, the tattoos, the smile, the laugh, the spreading shapeless pale blobbiness of his huge bulk, and above all those hauntingly sick eyes, combine to render Mr Dutt's Kancha one of the most naturally frightening villains ever conceived. Where the original 1990 Kancha Cheena played by Danny Denzongpa was sleek and smooth and sophisticated, his evil was very modern and straightforward in open pursuit of power and wealth – and thus more familiar. Mr Dutt's Kancha, however, is pure psychopath: he destroys and kills because he LIKES it. And even though the audience understand how he became so twisted, that sickness makes him very scary indeed … the visual embodiment of human evil.

What I could *not* anticipate from the trailers, though, is how Hrithik Roshan's Vijay Dinanath Chauhan would prove equally intimidating and visually frightening as Mr Dutt's Kancha: with those keen clear eyes knifing through his face awash in blood, Mr Roshan's Vijay looks purely the Avenger-from-Hell. Director Karan Malhotra effectively channels Mr Roshan's natural intensity into a human sword of vengeance – a quiet character who 'says' a lot from the shadows, projects mountains of lurking threat and menace, even where he has no dialogue. Again the eyes, always the eyes in this film! Never before had any director so effectively used the sheer glow-in-the-dark luminosity of Mr Roshan's eyes. The iconic 1990 Vijay created by the great Amitabh Bachchan (one of his most memorable roles) was significantly older and more verbally aggressive, the character more seduced by the trappings of power and wealth, only refocussing on his essential task toward the very end. By contrast, Mr Roshan's Vijay leads a haunted, almost monk-like existence, never losing focus down the years toward destroying his enemy. Obsessed, relentless, deadly – and a perfect showcase for Mr Roshan to demonstrate, yet again, his great dramatic range as an actor.

Mr Roshan and Mr Dutt are so riveting in this film that any scenes they are not in, separately or together, honestly feel like a distraction.

Despite 12 intervening years these two great actors have lost none of the chemistry that powered 2000's excellent "Mission Kashmir". Mr Roshan is slightly the taller actor, Mr Dutt significantly the heavier, but the two are so perfectly matched and the build-up so well laid that by the climax of this "Agneepath" audience anticipation could not be higher ... or more well-rewarded.

An unforgettable, 'must-see' film!

This, despite certain of the supporting roles being poorly cast (rather shockingly, for such a high-profile project from a major production house). The performances of both Vijay's new parents were competent but undistinguished; Alok Nath as Vijay's father in the 1990 film was far superior. I quite liked the concept behind the new dark character Rauf Lala; however, naturally clown-faced Rishi Kapoor brought inadequate menace to this baddie, at least for me. (And I'll swear they made Mr Kapoor's wig out of cheap carpeting!) But easily the worst miscasting? The 12-year-old Vijay – any boy less likely, in form or colouring or behaviour, to grow into 'Hrithik Roshan' as an adult Vijay would be seriously hard to find! What were they thinking? Anyone curious about what did grow into Hrithik Roshan need look no further than 1986's "Bhagwaan Dada", wherein you'll discover that Hrithik Roshan himself at age 12 looked exactly as any reasonable person might expect: a tall skinny boy with fair skin, light green eyes, brown hair, and already the distinctively-perfect profile. But the young Vijay cast here looked so glaringly out of place – too loud, too heavy, too dark, too coarse – that every flashback (of which there are far too many) with this boy jerked me completely out of the story. Again, the original casting in the 1990 film was much more believable in that specific role.

On the plus side, however, certain female characters are much stronger and more three-dimensional in this 2012 version. Priyanka Chopra was simply outstanding as Vijay's lover and only friend, the new character Kaali – one of her best-ever performances, despite limited minutes.. Newcomer Kanika Tiwari also impressed, as Vijay's younger sister.

Veteran actor Om Puri was also extremely effective as Commissioner Gaitonde, Vijay's sometime-conscience and sometime-ally. His scenes with Mr Roshan were particularly good.

Even Katrina Kaif's jaw-dropping item number, "Chikni Chameli", may prove classic: who would have thought one could do THAT with a booze bottle!

Special credit is due the highest standards of craft professionalism that distinguish this 2012 "Agneepath", notably these departments: Cinematography (exceptional lighting and shot selection, especially with the principal actors) – Kiran Deohans and Ravi K Chandran; Sound and Sound Editing (variety and scope, silent private moments to mass public festivals, all perfectly managed) – Stephen Gomes; and Stunts/Fight Choreography (so many action scenes, but each distinct and cumulatively building to the truly epic climax) – Abbas Ali Moghul.

Full on entertainment with power packed performances...

Author: mainak_27 from Kolkata, India
27 January 2012

I watched the movie today, in 2 consecutive shows. The second time I loved it even more. I watched it again for Hrithik and Rishi. What gr8 performances. Hrithik is undoubtedly the best actor in the industry today. He gives the perfect expressions, he has the perfect body and tremendous acting skills. The last scene is just awesome and when Hrithik recites the poem in the end, it gives goosebumps. In this age of Iphone and gadgets, its very difficult for this type of movie to awe the audiences, but the performances itself lifts the movie. But, I am sure, as always, the performance of Hrithik will still go unnoticed. What more can I say, when in our film industry, SRK bags the award for his stupid performance in MNIK and Hrithik is dejected after his awesome performance of a quadriplegic in Guzaarish!!!! I would suggest that this movie should be watched by everyone. Its not much near the original. Some important character has been removed here and the new character of Lala is introduced here. The rest of the plot is the same for almost many old bollywood movies, so why compare it to Agneepath....only becoz of the name? So frndz, don't compare it to any other movie and just watch it...u will surely love it. I would rate this movie 10 on 10 stars. What a gr8 start to the year 2012!!! Enjoy....Hey I want to add again to my existing review..I watched it two more times and I loved the movie and the performances again and again. Even weekdays are having quite packed houses. In the hall, I found that I am not the only one watching it so many times. There were numerous persons who was watching it nth number of times....this all shows the power of the movie.....so thats the best judging criterion for the brilliance of the movie and its performances.....Well, enjoy again and again and again......love you all.....

Absolute fantastic piece of art

Author: srkmish from Manipal, India
29 January 2012

The best thing about the movie was it was on a constant roll, never trying to fill in stuff. From the moment we witnessed the small Birju with all his intensity and the menacing Kancha, we knew something special was in store. This is the first time i have found Sanjay dutt this scary ,even more threatening that his Khalnayak Role. Rishi kapoor proves once again why is the versatile hero of bollywood. Nobody could have done that rauf lala role better.

But the person who has lent his heart and soul into the film is hrithik. He has expressed so many moods and emotions in one movie, this may be his best role till date. There are so many subtle tender moments in the movie with Hrithik alternating between vengeance(Kancha), comradeship(Gaitaonde)and Joy ( seeing his sister). However at times i felt certain scenes were overdone to intentionally create a dramatic effect. Ah but thats bollywood.

Yet another winner this movie. Go see enjoy :)

bang it....

Author: ihatebabiessss
26 January 2012

just saw this movie and seriously fellas i liked it! i didn't book the tickets and just thought of buying it from the current counter but it came up as a mistake as there was shortage of tickets but fortunately i got the tickets of the day's first show :) while being there i can clearly see the crowd in the passage,ally shouting(not shouting actually,they were cheering) excitingly for the movie and its characters !! now it was the time when projection leads and some crappy ads comes up but suddenly movie's chart pop ups and the audience just got a bit louder like hey,yeah,whoa! fellas don't ask me what happened when the written poster came on screen :D now the movie starts with a festival and character joins the play . what to say about villain's avatar man! it was like huge monster :| he was looking like a beast man.I was like :O man what's this :O its all fine there like master's role as a good proud human being with his teachings :) now its about vi jay's character which is amazingly played .its all about his anger,revenge!! this revenge comes after his father's death given by villain(obviously by hook and crook) . vi jay and his pregnant mother now comes to city and her mother gave birth to vi jay's sister :) oh man how can i forget Raff la la :O truly man i appreciate this part!! bad,evil person who is into women's dealing business and drugs :) our HUGE MONSTER planted his emperor in Manda and now he wanted to be into other city but Raff la la was there :| seriously villains tried to be as much evil,bad as they can be! it was on peak man and they did a damn good job!! vi jay wanted Manda and for this he wanted someone whom he can use as a ladder and he made it by his mind! action was on its peak ! beautiful piece of emotions shown by our HERO during the clash with Raff la la while fighting for his sister :) now straight away to the ending! clash of the big daddies ;) oh man go watch it! i am not gonna tell you that! go watch it instead of enjoying it over here :P and seriously i don't care about anyone! i enjoyed it! and that is what matters! :)

A must watch ... perfect start to the year!!!!

Author: amlanpati from India
26 January 2012

Bollywood is following a trend of remaking classics and to be true I have been thoroughly disappointed but Agneepath comes to the rescue. It truly depicts how a remake should be made. However in the classic one the movie totally rests on Amitabh's performance but this one has a totally balanced performance by the cast. The trio of Rishi Kapoor, Sanjay Dutt and Hrithik Roshan have delivered excellent performances backed by a powerful screenplay and background music. It has been a totally engaging watch. Both Karan Malhotra the directer and Karan Johar deserve applause for trying their guts out to remake this classic. I recommend you to watch it on a movie theater near by...

Agneepath Rises.

Author: Anuvrat Bhansali from India
26 January 2012

You shouldn't wonder why everyone wants to remake a Big B movie. While the obvious to say is that they are a cult but the truth is we don't have stories, performances and dialogues like that today. A safe trick to pull the audience is to give them a star-studded remake of a movie the continuums of generations swear by.

If you are an ardent moviegoer, you might have felt bad with the fate of Don and Sholay remakes but Agneepath rises. Yash Johar & Mukul Anand will be proud of Karan. They can choose either or both.

First of all, it's not a complete remake. It has its own diversions but it's a wasteful effort not to compare it with the original. Some parts of the remake are a total downer. Not just the parents, I heard the kids say – I think the original was far better.

Sanjay Dutt is the first and the biggest disappointment. Tattoos of Shiva, preachings from Geeta, anecdotes from Mahabharat & Ramayan but not a single original Khalnayak moment till the last 15 minutes. I remember seeing the promo six months back and everyone spoke of Sanjay Dutt taking the entire pie from Hrithik Roshan – only if he would have been a more evil psychopath, psychopath, psychopath.

The next is Chikni Chameli. The choreographer & composer totally spoilt the cake. What a sheer waste of Katrina Kaif. The last but not the least is absence of Krishnan Iyer MA. I want to add the iconic "Sister Abduction" scene to the list but I understand that it's too much of a comparison.

There's not much you could say about the script/story since it's a remake but to talk about the dialogues written by the talented Piyush Mishra – they are mediocre. No special marks to the technicals as well.

Hrithik Roshan is brilliant, probably the best anybody could justify the real VDC. When he cries, feels happy, kills a man, runs, wants revenge, gets bruised – it's all in his eyes, he makes it real enough. He might not have been able to replace Big B's attitude but it was time they used this side of him than just counting on his looks & moves.

The surprise of the movie is Rishi Kapoor. What an actor! With the added touch of the surma, he made a better villain than Baba. He should have had a bigger role.

The score of the movie is suitably Maharashtrian, complimenting the movie. I don't know if you have noticed this but Bollywood seems fascinated with the idea of Ganesh songs or others running parallel with murder and melodrama scenes.

Apart from Kancha, everyone's performance has taken the movie a notch higher and fortunately there are no stupid-yet-intentional-because-audience-loves-it additions. Coming from Karan Johar, romance and slickness gives way to raw.

It's a nice remake and while you watch it try hard not to compare it with the original Agneepath, Agneepath, Agneepath.

this is what i call a good bollywood movie.......!!!

Author: amresh01 from India
29 January 2012

I usually don't prefer to watch remake of bollywood classics from past after my bad experience with ram gopal verma's AAG n many more which are more than cliché' ..disaster.....but Agneepath stand tall.Basic theme being the same...story of a child avenging his fathers death but chinematography ,sets, scenes and musics defines and take to a new level. i was really mesmerized by Rishi Kapoor's acting. This vintage actor truly shown his shine and worth in the film. Sunjay Dutt's hulk look and negative dialogue delivery perfectly described his devilish and negative role in the movie.Hrithik 's Musculer build and silent behaviour perfectly describes the violent terbulance going inside his mind of his father death. Movie has perfect mixture of emotions ,love,power,romance. go for agneepath...

Agneepath, Agneepath, Agneepath!

Author: Himanshu Desai from India
26 January 2012

Agneepath (1990) to begin with, is remembered majorly for Mr Amitabh Bachchan as Vijay Deenanath Chauhan. Agneepath (2012), however, will be remembered for Sanjay Datt as Kancha Cheena and Rishi Kapoor as Rauf Lala.

First half of movie, is racy,compelling and entertaining equally, thanks to brilliantly shot sequences, tight screenplay, heart-throbbing background score and power packed performances. Sanjay Datt excels throughout the movie, this is probably his milestone performance. Rishi Kapoor on the other hand, after showing brilliance in Do Dooni Chaar, again proves that a star remains a star! How about Hrithik?

Hrithik chooses expressions rather than words. He may not have mass - appealing dialogues but his expressions works like wonder! If you compare Hrithik directly with Amitabh Bachchan, he has, still, done a commendable job.

So where this movie lags? Post interval. Movie misses the thrill that it creates prior to interval, slows down its pace to focus on sub plots, which rather adds melodrama that is unneeded. Film seems dragged a bit too. Story, predictable and yet entertaining, somewhere challenges your logic. Climax, which seems to be written for justifying Sanjay's role, is not grand.

Music is good, background score is really thrilling.

Overall, a deserved watch for sure, but somehow keeps you longing for more.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]