IMDb > "Magnificent Century" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Muhtesem Yüzyil"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Magnificent Century" More at IMDbPro »"Muhtesem Yüzyil" (original title)

Nicely done

Author: AerosmithNirvana from United States
14 March 2012

I do not imagine anybody who watches these kinds of shows ever actually expects historical accuracies. It's good entertainment and if you've studied or know a little about the history, it is even more so. It's not meant to be a learning experience. What it does accomplish is portraying the general "feel" of the era from an obviously biased perspective (the main characters'). If you have enjoyed shows such as the Rome television series (2005 - 2007) and The Tudors (2007 - 2010), you'll enjoy this. There is drama, action, a little comedy, complex characters, (mostly) magnificent acting, and beautiful wardrobes. I found it to be rather captivating. :)

Guilty Pleasure!!!!

Author: oliaryu from United States
3 April 2012

To say I have been obsessed with this show for the past few months is to put it mildly:) I don't speak Turkish and my husband (who is Turkish) suggested we watch the first episode for fun and he would translate. Well…I am sure he was not so happy for that suggestion for the months that followed as we would watch almost every day and he would translate for me. Now we are half way through season two and we are still hooked! I love the overall feel of the show, the costumes the stories etc…yes it can be totally cheesy at times, but I think they did an amazing job. It is totally my guilty pleasure:) Now that there are episodes with Russian subtitles (which is a language I also speak) my husband is finally able to relax:) This may not be for everyone, but if you love history and period dramas, it is certainly entertaining and a great way to learn Turkish. Although I might sound like I am from the 15th century when I go to Istanbul this summer, my Turkish is definitely better and understand a lot more on my own now.

Fantastic

Author: bberna-367-355930 from Turkey/USA
11 May 2012

I love history. I read and read to learn what was actually there in the past all over the world. If you do not know your history, how can you look forward to your future. This series is excellent! Best costume, best soundtrack, best acting and best of all ever filmed for Turkish community. It should be translated into other languages. Far better than many series, I bet. Thank you all the actors/actresses and all the team. I am not a frequent TV watcher due to my daily schedule at work. However, I am in the USA past 3 months and swatch in online. Can not miss an episode :) If you watch it once, you can not let it go. Dear producers, please continue for other crucial history periods since Turkish community seems to forget about it all. Thanks.

impressive show

Author: Vincentiu from Romania
18 October 2012

costumes, palace recreation, action scenes, intrigues, love stories, hate stories, great art of details, not bad actors, historical film with crumbs of soap opera, lights, shadows, beautiful music, and a legendary figure of Turkish past. is it enough ? almost. because the virtue of movie is ambition to present a human character. and for who discovers Soliman the Magnificent like silhouette of myth is not really easy to accept an Ottoman leader with many ( little ) vices. the air of fairy tall is at right place but the respect for truth is one of fundamental characteristics of script. and this is one of good points. another - the cast. not perfect but inspired instrument to present atmosphere of a time not very romantic but cruel, strange and seductive.Halit Ergenc is pure star, Okan Yalabik builds a complex and refined character and the victory of Meryem Uzerli are worthy of praise .in this conditions, the film is a Turkish cultural cruiser . so, its mission is very important. roots - hard work, good ingredients and unbeatable recipes.

Great show, which has to get at least 9!

Author: rasayc
17 February 2014

To be honest i am not a fan of this show. I am not even watching it. So how come i am so into it ? Simple, my wife is watching this show every week. I am only listening the show while i am doing something else. Time to time i just peek in to see what is happening. Truly, acting, the song, costumes, and the places it has taken are all great. It is true history with adapted parts to todays TV show. You can even compare it to Game of Thrones. It is all about plots. Of course there is no dragons but this is the real thing of GoT. The love story is real. All the wars are real. All the killings are real. You will cry for the dead people knowing that, he/she was really killed like it in history. If you like palace plots and love stories you should give it a try.

Very Addicting. Amazing show, stunning actors, costumes and decorations

Author: allygolos from United States
18 July 2013

Love the show! And I am addicted. First two seasons were amazing, but the third season is rather 8 then 10. You will be stunned by the beauty of the actors, amazing costumes and decoration and most of all the jewelry peaces that women wear. I even took a print screen pictures of some of them to order something similar. I love the fact that most of the show proceedings are based on the real history and real people(but some characters were made up). Of course it's an entertainment show so don't expect to learn 100% accurate history from it. Before starting watching the show I would recommend to read a little about Suleiman the Magnificent. At least read about him and his life on wiki. I also wanted to note the music in the show, I am not sure who is a composer, but he/she definitely had done extraordinary job with the music (and i'm surprised that nobody did comment on it before in their reviews) I really recommend it for anyone who loves historical TV series or soap operas.

hooked on it ,diffrent special ,wonderful ,and well done

Author: Inaam Bella from United States
4 January 2014

i am just falling in love with this show .... wonderful , terrific and interesting true story , from the history .... I had seen a plenty of shows. and movies , ... and noon one. , noon one

could made me addicted on it ...., ! like this show did :) !! ! it' s really really special ,, totally exceptional ....! Evrething 's particular beautiful amazing and interesting : story, events , actors , clothing , art , music , ! Ooohh. my god the music !!!!! <3 What a wonderful music , what a hight taste and rich arts ! The most important , And worth mentioning, that you deduce a real precious life lessons from it... Well done and. great job which respect the taste and the intelligence of the audience

love it <3 <3 <3

Author: shamsalbayati91
20 January 2013

One of my favorite Turkish TV series. so interesting and entertaining just love it <3 the actors and actress are amazing, and fabulous :D great show... really enjoyed it everyone did a great job in their role and especially Alexandra because of her face emotions that had so much meanings to it. really great. when i started watching it, it made me so interested to search about the real ottoman history and what really happened. its a very nice show. worth watching i guess One of my favorite Turkish TV series. so interesting and entertaining just love it <3 the actors and actress are amazing, and fabulous :D great show... really enjoyed it

Great Representation of the Ottoman

Author: Scholarly Reviews from United Kingdom
27 April 2014

Aside from my addiction to and admiration for the series, I would like to give some extra information about the correlation between the series and the historical accounts, in deed.

First of all, it is not reasonable to state that the series does not reflect the history in an accurate way. Really? I would like to ask these claimers that "which historical account(s) gives a true representation of any historical event?". Well, every historical account gives a sight of subjective perspective; the only objective one is "the chronicles" (only dates and clauses explaining the cases in a brief way). From this series, we cannot expect the bloody war scenes as its one episode is about 2 hours and what is really curious is the life of Sultans in the harem, their education and life styles because the "harem" of the Sultan is forbidden to any outsider for the time. The only confirmed account of harem is written in the autobiographical letters by Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, who could only visit a Pasha's harem, though. The fictional parts are also needed to seam the unknown lines of the history if we would like to watch a coherent account.

The acting is really great! The maturation processes of all the characters are well given throughout the series. The music is really well composed and paid attention. The gestures and postures of the actors and actresses are just BEAUTIFUL, especially at critical points. Costumes! They are just true representations of the time's costumes and richness of the Ottoman State. Jewelry! Wow, yes I had already heard and searched for these precious things before I watched the series; but seeing them online is just invaluable!

The setting is really a true representation of the time. The Topkapi Palace is still there in Istanbul for the ones who wonder. It has to be visited when one goes there. There are still odours that you can smell in the Harem part of the palace. It is explained that all the walls of the Harem was washed with "rose water" throughout centuries, and it left its smells there, really! All the rooms of the consorts, concubines, shahzades (princes), sultans and servants are there in their real forms as you can see in this series (btw, there are hundreds of rooms in deed!).

The series provides a wonderful insight of the 16th century.

If you didn't see it, you've never saw a love story before!

Author: Nada al-s from usa
10 October 2013

Oooooooooh my God, simply,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, If you didn't see it, you didn't see a love story before,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I've seen a lot of movies, TV shows, etc................................. but this one is the best, truly "Magnificent,"""""""""""""""""""""""""""" a true romantic love story from the 16th century between a slave and the king of the world,and the best part of it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that it is a true story from the history, and you get to see paintings for the actual characters and where this story happened, all the details about the buildings, clothes, accessories, hair style, everything is perfectly done,you should not miss this one <3