IMDb > "Wolverine" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Wolverine" More at IMDbPro »

'Wolverine' Anime Series an action-packed alternate take on the Marvel character

Author: ersinkdotcom from United States
22 August 2012

Of all the X-Men, Wolverine is the one who's proved successful at carrying his own weight outside of the team books. I think this is also confirmed by the anti-hero's stand-alone movie and another on the way. Japanese animator's Madhouse and Marvel Entertainment bring us the superhero's very own 12-part anime TV series to DVD. It's based on Frank Miller and Chris Claremont's successful 1982 storyline as its framework.

Wolverine's girlfriend, Mariko, is snatched by her father Shingen. He is the leader of a Japanese crime ring. She is promised to a man named Hideki Kurohagi for an arranged marriage. Wolverine embarks on a mission to rescue Mariko from the clutches of her father and battles several different adversaries along the way.

The character of Logan and his alter ego in the "Wolverine" Anime Series is distinct from other depictions. He appears younger and not as rough around the edges as he's portrayed in the comic books and movies. It feels like we are taken back to see how he was in his youth. Maybe that was the intention of the animators and writers of the show.

There's plenty of action and violence to keep fans of Wolverine and the X-Men satisfied. The anime style also moves things along at a breakneck speed. If you already love the character, then this series will give you something to tide you over until his next big-screen adventure in "The Wolverine." It may actually give you a hint at what's to come since the movie is supposed to be based on the same story arc this animated series is.

Bonus material include three featurettes entitled "The Marvel Anime Universe: Wolverine Reborn," "The Ferocious Anti-Hero: Wolverine Defined," and "Wolverine Meets X-Men." The first two are around nine minutes long and delve behind-the-scenes of the series and the character. The last featurette is around 30 minutes long and spotlights the production crew of the show.

The "Wolverine" Anime Series provides a great vision of the character in the popular Asian artistic style so many people are fans of worldwide. It gives viewers an alternate take on the character and his world than we get in the "X-Men" and "Origins" movies. 12 episodes clocking in at 284 minutes and a few featurettes will make this a worthy buy for enthusiasts and consumers.

Marvel + Anime = Just Terrible!

Author: David de Villiers from South Africa
20 March 2016

First off, I just want to say I the Marvel Animated Universe. And Wolverine is personally my favourite superhero from Marvel. But the only problem is that anime and Marvel Animation don't go well together. I hated this. It was badly animated and ugh, it was just terrible! I don't understand how people can even watch this. There are no words to describe how terrible it was. It had to spark of Marvel in it. The has got to be the worst Marvel Animated ever made. How can people even think about making this crap when it deserves to be thrown into the trash! It was not only the worst animation adaption of the Marvel Animated Universe, it is also the biggest disappointment.

Logan learns that his true love, beloved sweetheart and girlfriend Mariko Yashida, who disappeared one year ago, has been taken to Tokyo by her father Shingen Yashida, the head of the Japanese crime syndicate Kuzuryu and a supplier of A.I.M., in order to be wed to Hideki Kurohagi. Wolverine goes on a quest to rescue Mariko and defeat Shingen and Hideki, encountering several opponents along the way.

This was just terrible. I DON'T recommended this!