IMDb > "2 Broke Girls" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"2 Broke Girls"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"2 Broke Girls" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I Keep Waiting for it to Get Better

Author: wahoo8888 from United States
30 October 2013

After I first saw the ads for this show, I thought it would be funny. After I saw the first few episodes, I thought it would get better. After I watched the first season, I thought Season 2 would be an improvement. Zero stars for me. This show actually has gotten worse. The acting is so bad it is often excruciating. It seems that the 2 broke girls are just reading punch lines from a cue card. And apparently the writers believe that the more off-color the joke, the funnier. And would somebody please tell the actors that talking really loud does not make this miserably written show any funnier either. I guess the network agrees with me since the shows has been downgraded to the 8:30 time slot. Next stop...Saturday night.

Laverne and Shirley with Filth

Author: qormi from United States
6 February 2012

Yeah I'm in the kitchen eating dinner sometimes and my wife has it on. I tell her to turn this crap off and she leaves it on and cusses at me. This show is pure torture. It's basically about two unattractive young women who never shut up. They exchange wisecracks for a half hour and always find an opening for some gross sexual innuendos suitable for high school freshmen. For example, one of them doesn't like a lollipop - "Last time I sucked so hard and got nothing out of it, I was dating." Also there is no pacing or timing here. Just two actresses reciting 500 lines as quickly as possible; each line punctuated by a laugh track......they never shut up. Neither one of them....please make it stop.

Good idea gone terribly bad

Author: duraflex from Ohio
25 March 2012

Life is too short to waste it watching crap like this.

The concept of two unlikely young women from very different backgrounds sharing the same minimum wage jobs and the same apartment held promise for humor and understanding. However, as the weeks have worn on, it's been all downhill.

Co-creator Whitney Cummings has a very nasty, negative streak in her outlook and she reflects that in the characters she puts on the screen.

Add to the mix a thoroughly disgusting co-worker cook in the diner where they work. Next add a new obnoxious, over-sized, oversexed loud-mouth neighbor and you've created a real mess.

The humor has turned very crude and not at all funny.

The glimmer of heart, sensitivity, subtlety and sarcasm that marked the first shows has morphed into a crude, unpleasant half hour that I will no longer watch. Too bad.

A total waste of time

Author: Jess-K
28 September 2011

I gave 2 Broke Girls two tries, and I didn't laugh once.

I found the attempts at humor to be offensive and boring. None of the characters seemed likable to me, so I couldn't trick myself into caring what happened with any of them.

The character of Max comes off like a bully, and the character Caroline comes off as a doormat. It's hard to care much about a relationship like this one, and it made me root against them, not for them. It's not even a good 'frenemy' dynamic, as Caroline is dependent on Max and Max seems happy to exploit this. If this kind of abusive situation is supposed to be funny, this is news to me. I believe this show is a complete waste of time.

on the good side of mediocre...

Author: elizabetmulder from United States
4 March 2012

It's not bad... It's not good. It's exactly what it needs to be. Very okay.

Lots of sex jokes, sometimes cheesy, sometimes raunchy but most of the times enjoyable. The actresses that play the lead roles are perfectly cast. Especially Kat Dennings, who, even with material that isn't always up to par, lights up the screen with her wonderful, sensual, charismatic, yet sometimes almost painfully sarcastic and bitter sense of humor.

I don't know. I've watched a lot of episodes of season one, and somehow I just keep watching whenever I need some harmless, simple humor. I think that this show completely proves that good leads really can carry a show and capture an audience. It's just a sweet concept, literally, with the cupcakes and all, and it's a warm show, made with some love and fun. I'm not impressed by it but I like it. At the moment it's the only comedy show I watch. Much better than a lot of other crap out there. Maybe not as good a some shows, like modern family and community or 30 rock. It's not brilliant in any way, it's not new and original in any way, but you really feel for the characters, maybe not right away but after a few episodes you start appreciate them.

This sounds like such a "meh..." review, but it's really not. Beth Behrs, who I really haven't seen in anything else, portrays the part of the naive rich girl who just landed in the gutter just fine and endearing. It's a joy to see Jennifer Coolidge working again, she's just wonderful in portraying "over the top" characters, sometimes I almost feel ashamed that a movie and TV fanatic like me likes her, but hey, everybody has their guilty pleasures. At the moment 2 broke girls is mine. When I don't want to think and just want to watch something fun.

Plus, I really dig the fact that this show is not shy about the sex jokes and sometimes gets really rude. Don't we all sometimes?

Awful...

Author: beege2006 from United States
10 March 2014

When I first learned of the show, I was excited to see it. I watched one episode and thought... this will be canceled mid season. I can't believe it's still running to tell you the truth. The acting is so bad, it's painful to watch. Each 'punchline' is set up so poorly, you are already cringing before it's said. Even the exits and entrances onto or off the set are forced. It's like watching an audition at an amateur acting studio.

It's a shame considering the concept is decent, however not only does the acting fall short, so does the direction. The crudeness behind some of the dialect could actually be funny if delivered correctly and without so much force behind it to be funny. After each quip you almost expect to hear a drum line in the back... "BA DA BOM!"

Worst show to hit the screen in years by far.

After Three Years, I Give Up!

Author: Heisenberg White
18 October 2014

I really tried with 2 Broke Girls, I really did! It sat and watch over fifty 20 minute episodes of it and it unfortunately only got worse. This won't be a long review, because there actually isn't enough substance to write a full review.

Basically it is about two women, one poor, one rich, but when the rich girls father gets arrested for embezzlement, her house is taken by the bank and she is thrown onto the streets. The two girls meet each other, and work in the same greasy diner, and end up living together. They also want to start up a cupcake business (wtf?!) and they never...stop...talking..about it. It gets very repetitive like that.

In fact, the main problem with the show is repetitiveness and the lack of comedy. I know that comedic television shows have running gags and so forth, but 2 Broke Girls is plain and simply, repetitive and not funny. From talking about getting money for cupcake shops and other entrepreneur endeavors, to the never...ending...SEX...jokes! See how I put sex is all caps, that is basically what TBG does with all there jokes.

The script always has a few funny non sex jokes, most flat line, a little plot progression and then SEX! *Audience goes crazy in the background* Plot, Plot, SEX, plot. It is very annoying and proves why this will never be a popular show. In the future, do we really want people to be reminded of the generation as the people who found this funny, or something genius like Arrested Development or something. After recently marathoning brought Seinfeld, I can assure you, YOU DO NOT NEED SEX JOKES! It is the LOWEST form of comedy, and is only directed at immature young teenage males.

The most unfortunate thing is that TBG started with so much potential. It could have been the show that brings back the multiple camera set up, with a live audience. And to be honest, for most of the first season, I actually still quite enjoyed it, despite all the sex related jokes. But beginning of season two, I was beginning to get a bit bored, and by season three, I've had to give up. As a straight male, I wasn't ever offended by what they were saying, but I can fully understand why women, gays and every other minority has been insulted at some stage or another.

This is third show I've ever had to give up on, the other two being Glee (don't judge) and The Wire (I tried, seriously) but this one I really tried to get into, no matter how often it failed to grip me.

Overall, I think it had potential, and it had good, original plot ideas, but these two things were never taken to the best of their advantage. The jokes to often flat-lined and/or were sex jokes. It is just tragic. So long you crazy broke girls 4/10

Ps Beth Behrs is very annoying IMO. This isn't effecting the score but it should because she was so unlikable and almost unwatchable.

Urgh, turn off the TV and RUN!!

Author: Donna Huang from Australia
25 April 2012

Gosh, what a horrible show. I only watched about 5 minutes of it before I got mad and shut it off. However, 5 minutes was enough to give me an idea of how horrible this show is.

2 Broke Girls is NOT funny! The jokes are very raunchy, and that gets tiring fast. The laugh track is horrendous, and is thrown in your face every time someone says something.

The characters were unlikeable and annoying. In the few minutes I watched this, the brown haired girl got mad at a customer who hesitated for 5 seconds while ordering a meal, and then proceeds to start clicking her fingers in his face, and then trying to sass him for it. Calm the heck down! Not funny at all.

1/10 stars. Don't even bother.

2 broke girls - with Kat Dennings (comedy)

Author: helena-ricci
4 December 2011

I've seen all of the episodes that are out to date, and from the first episode I knew this was a show for me! I mean, the plot is not supposed to be plausible, it's supposed to be comedy, and a feel good show, and that's exactly what it is, with a little cynical twist added from Kat Dennings. Kat Dennings run the show, and she is the main reason I follow this series. For people who like Kat Dennings kind of humor, this is a show for you, where she gets to play a little more freely with her puns than she has been able to do previously in movies and other shows. I love it!It might not be a very popular show, like Glee or all these other vampire shows that people are into now, but that's why I like it, it's plain and simple, back to old school stories of the rich and the poor, but I'm not gonna be surprised if this is one of those shows that aren't gonna be around for long since it's not main stream popular. It's a shame if it wont last.

not a great show

Author: Krissz from Denmark
16 April 2012

Some time ago I found this on, and decided to watch it. firstly because I had never heard of it, and second because Kat is pretty hot.

Have seen it some times now and well....I don't like it. Don't know why that cupcake thing is so huge. Come on its muffins with icing! Why is that so special?!

well let me get to the point: The characters are really stereotypical. A low class girl meets up class girl. In a way that story is really really cliché in it self. try think of fresh prince of Bel-Air with Will Smith during the 90's. The characters really doesn't act all "streetwise" or what ever. Max is in some way just being Dharma (the old TV-show) and the other one being her sister. The characters really don't develop at all, and seems to stay a bit the same as they started out with. The dialog is just based on sexual jokes, comebacks (from Max) and several pop cultural references e.g "I kissed a girl and I liked it" was presented almost as an add for Katy Perry.

"In 2008 when Katy perry sang I kissed I girl and I liked it...i tried it, but I didn't"

sort of how she said it, and really? REALLY?! that is some of the worst ways to put a reference in! It is so obvious that either they were paid to make such references or that they think the audience is stupid. With such a way of telling a joke, they kill it almost before it is said. it could just have been "well I once tried to kiss a girl, and I didn't like it!" that is a reference people know, and you really don't need both year, artist AND song title to know what you talk about.

The writing seems to be not well done. The situations sometime gets out of hand waaay to early e.g. with their new neighbour. The Indian guy dies and a new one moves in. Alomst all of a sudden Max freaks out and threatens to shoot the new neighbour.....is that really streetwise? it was so weird thinking that they at NO time asked her "what do you do for a living?" I thought she worked with models...but noo. again the "streetwise" Max should know how to tackle different kind of people, and know who is prostitutes and who isn't. This just shows that they really didn't think the "streetwise" part in, and just had some obnoxious girl who throw comeback remarks at people acting like Dharma. kinda emo, but not really. They really don't seem to grasp how you are "streetwise" and the characters seems flat. The whole thing seems to be really lazy written. some of the jokes are just to obvious and poorly made e.g. the "Christmas comes ones a year" joke was embarrassing.

All in all i wouldn't say it is extremely horrible, have seen waaaay worse comedy-shows than this. All it does is just being lazy and a bit boring. For those who want that it is fine, but I would rather watch something else.

3 stars: 2 for trying something but really doesn't do the right thing and 1 for Kat Dennings. Yes a bit lame but I think she is rather hot.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]