IMDb > "Up All Night" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Up All Night"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Up All Night" More at IMDbPro »

I can't wait to see more!

Author: Beck-170-575588 from United States
26 September 2011

I completely disagree with the other reviewers. I thought this show was quite funny. I actually laughed out loud! Good dialog and it is just getting started. I went to my brothers and made him watch it. As a new parent that is not in her 20's I completely relate to what this couple is going through. It is too soon to really know where it is heading but I did enjoy the first two.

I hope they keep this show going as I can relate to it a lot more than most of the stupid comedies that are on now. I mean how many comedies do we need of singles trying to score? It's old and not funny to me. I am also tired of all the reality crap so this actually held my attention and I enjoyed watching it.

This show is hilarious

Author: rstyyvan from Honolulu, HI
13 October 2011

I must admit some of the reviews of this show so far are humorous. As far as I am concerned this show is well worth watching compared to the other lame ass shows that started this fall.....a.k.a. Two Broke Girls (I HATE that show) I am a super big fan of 30 Rock and Big Bang Theory and I am glad there is a new show that will keep us all laughing (those who watch anyways). The thing I like about this show is I can totally a young couple going through stuff like this with a newborn.

The one liners are well placed and I like laughing out loud during TV shows. I will say the major downfall of the show is going to be as the child grows up, babies tend to sleep more, so how they are going to tie in the name with the story may get difficult. Up All Night may not be the best name for the show but I do think Applegate, Arnett, and Rudolph can keep this show afloat with their strong comedian backgrounds.

All in all I love this show and look forward to Wednesday night just to see what happens next. It's refreshing to have a show that isn't like all the other crap they have been producing lately. Witty script and good acting will keep this show going a few seasons.

Will Arnett and Christina Applegate are Golden!

Author: (princess_kaguya_2000@hotmail.com) from Michigan
27 September 2011

I love this show. Will Arnett and Christina Applegate are hilarious as new parents adjusting to life after the 20-something party years. Will plays a stay at home Dad trying to stay sane while his wife becomes the primary breadwinner as a television executive for a talk show on the down slide, Ava. Ava (played by Maya Rudolph) is the shows one weakness. While Maya Rudolph is a fabulous actress, Ava is a one note character that makes the show somewhat awkward. This show is really unique. There have been tons of shows about families with lots of kids and parents that have been together for ages and there are lots of shows about young love, but what happens in between? This take on the family sit-com reaches to capture a younger audience, but is still likely to trigger memories in the 40+ demographic category. Check it out on hulu. I can't wait to see what's next.

Likable - looking forward to seeing where it goes

Author: falalalalalalalala from Canada
21 September 2011

I don't see why others are slamming this title (especially when one critique applauds the silly, obvious new comedy "Two Broke Girls"). I found "Up All Night" to be very watchable.

True, the characters' quirks might have been laid on a little thick, but that's probably true of all pilots. I think this show will offer a charming, funny view of new parenthood in today's world with just enough goofy material to keep it interesting. The tone of the show reminded me of "The Big C," in that it deals with a serious issue in a lighthearted manner.

I think the plot of the first episode was relatable. It is very believable that a couple that enjoys partying would try to rekindle that part of their life after having a baby only to realize life as they knew it is forever changed. I look forward to seeing how these characters navigate the world of parenthood, especially since their egos and glamorous lifestyles will have to take a hit. I hope it explores the characters on a more honest level, rather than always going for the laugh.

Good, Good Show--LOVE Applegate

Author: Erika Cawkins from United States
21 May 2012

I think this show is positively hilarious. Although I am a 23 year old college student, no where near any of the demographics in this show, I find myself laughing out loud during almost every scene. Yes, it's a bit silly and sometimes over the top and the comedy is a bit slapstick-esque but I can definitely see why older people relate to it and I obviously understand why the younger generation finds it comical. I also think Christina Applegate is an amazing actress and does comedy like nobody's business. Her one-liners are as flawless as she is. Will Arnett is also pretty funny--I'd love to have a husband like that at home. Finally, I see everyone commenting about Maya Rudolph attempting to "steal the show." I agree with this, she tries too hard to be funny and I think she has too big of a part in the show considering what it's about...but hopefully with time the writers will recognize that and fix it. This show definitely has potential to be a classic and I hope it continues for many more seasons.

A show that gets better with time!!

Author: bazzak14 from Dublin, Ireland
14 April 2012

There are shows that are exceptional right from the word go!

Then there are shows that start with potential and deteriorate badly.

This show is neither of the above. While it is not exceptional from the word go it does start with obvious potential. However, it does not deteriorate and instead goes above and beyond the potential it showed in the first place.

I just watched the season one finale and it was an absolutely sublime 21 minutes of television.

I know that there are tons of shows out there to watch and you may have watched the first episode or two of this show and thought "this is not as funny as the cast promises" and then again you may have seen the potential but decided that you didn't want to waste your time seeing if it lived up to its potential. But trust me this show does get to the point of being as funny as you'd expect the ensemble cast to be and as I said already more than lives up to its potential.

This show is very much worth watching. At the start I would maybe have given the show a 6 or 7, I wasn't quite sure. But now after getting used to the characters and having watched them mature and deepen, especially in the last few episodes, I would easily rate this show at a 9.

The first season finale episode itself is worth 10 out of 10 and had me in tears. It was brilliant and well worth making your way through the whole of the first season just to experience. A point had to be dropped because that quality wasn't there from day one (or maybe it was and I just didn't understand the characters enough yet).

So if you've tried the show already and decided to move on before it hit its groove or if you've never watched the show yet, I heartily recommend watching every episode of this show and I do not believe you will be in any way disappointed.

Not that bad

Author: TheNorwegianGuy from Norway
29 October 2012

I've followed this show every week since the first episode, and I think it's a little underrated. Sure, it's not one of those shows filled whit laugh after laugh throughout, but I think that's okay. There are a lot of worse shows on TV nowadays. This one is at least a little funny from time to time.

One aspect I like about "Up All Night" is the situations Chris and Reagan get caught up in. I think a lot of people can relate to what they are going through, because this show is a bit more "realistic" than many other comedies, with a lot of common everyday situations.

Will Arnett really saves this show, and makes it worth watching. Sometimes he's hilarious in the role of Chris.

I think "Up All Night" deserves a little attention. Not great, but not that bad either.

Funny, but Rudolph tries to steal the show to no avail

Author: ForCenturies from Australia
22 September 2011

For a show about two people trying to adjust to parental life, the pilot seemed to focus on the seemingly irrelevant character played by Maya Rudolph. Applegate and Arnett didn't have enough room to be their characters and to let the audience grow to love these flawed people.

Like Raising Hope, Up All night uses the "we've had a baby" idea to explore relationships. But unless Maya Rudolph (who I am actually quite a big fan of) butts out this show will go nowhere.

As Anchorman proved, Applegate can certainly do comedy, and of course look absolutely beautiful while doing it. While I have found Arnett to be sometimes one-noted in Arrested Development, he's relateable and vulnerable as the dad who has no idea what to do, and therefore - funny. It's unfortunate the show seems to focus on Maya Rudolph, if it focused on the couple this show would have been much, much more interesting and satisfactory.

Sadly unfunny

Author: SnoopyStyle
23 September 2013

Reagan Brinkley (Christina Applegate) and Chris Brinkley (Will Arnett) are a couple of hard partying professionals that got shocked into parenthood. Ava Alexander (Maya Rudolph) is a host of her own show and Reagan's boss/friend/dependent.

This is a show led by SNL veterans like Emily Spivey. And surprisingly it's just not that funny.

The leads Christina Applegate and Will Arnett have some good chemistry together. They have some good exchanges. Maya Rudolph is a one note character, and never gets much depth. They try various characters to add as support like the loser brother played by Luka Jones. Most of these efforts end in failure.

A Beautiful Funny Semi-Twisted Slice of Life!

Author: bravecape
16 November 2012

franciscoraposo72 you're from "F"ing Portugal. Of COURSE you don't think it's funny. You don't understand the nuances. The tradition. The LANGUAGE. HA KIDDING. Sort of. Anyway Will Arnett and Christina Applegate are perfect. But Christina Applegate shines the best she's ever been. She's one of those that keeps getting more beautiful. Maya Rudolph almost drives me nuts, but now it's like she's just hysterical. A little crazy even to Their mostly sane world. I didn't think I would even like the show when the first episode was them having a baby. Never works. But this did. One of those shows when it eventually is over(years from now), will suck! humm I have to fill a 10th sentence here. OK well I guess that did it.