IMDb > "Once Upon a Time" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Once Upon a Time"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Once Upon a Time" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Birdemic

Author: Hannah Norman from Truro, Cornwall
27 March 2015

Have you guys ever seen the movie Birdemic? Because this is the series version

Although both are attempting to tell different stories, there are so many similarities. Bad CGI; painful dialog; awkward acting, and poor direction. At least Birdemic is entertaining to watch.

When my sister told me the plot (fairytale characters in the real world) I was intrigued to at least give at a try. I walked out of the room after about 10 minutes. She'll keep me informed about new characters to which my reply is "But they're not from a fairytale?". Iron Man will be featured on this show before long!

Frustrating Show!

Author: kikkapi20 from usa
1 January 2015

What frustrating show! OUaT sounds like such a good idea in theory, and Season 1 started to get on the right track (plus they have a wonderful costume department), but Season 2 has been terrible! Jeez, Kitsis and Horowitz treat the audience like we're dummies who can't remember what happened last week! They threw all of Regina's character development out the window and waste the talents of many in the cast. The consistency of episodes is hit -or-miss and has been increasingly disappointing. I hope that Lana Parilla and Robert Carlyle move on to a different project that can better utilize their talents. As for me, I'm done with OUaT. Let me know if they do a Rumbelle spin-off.

Used to be great, now sucks

Author: qingfengwxc
6 January 2014

It used to be an AMAZING SHOW. Then everything fell apart. The creators make characters change for plot convenience, making them drastically out of character at times. They remove the characters with the best actors, such as Robbie Kay (peter pan)and Jamie Dornan (sheriff graham). They also force a lot of the plot to work, even though it goes against a previously stated story line. Also it is too unorganized, having too many aimless and pointless sub-plots that are not even interesting. Plot is repetitive and boring. True love always solves everything. Also, any character not related to the protagonists family gets cut out of the show. If you're going to watch, only watch season 1. The rest is probably the worst show I've ever watched.

If this is dark, My Little Pony is PURE EVIL

Author: Lomedin
8 September 2013

I read some comments about how this show is like a dark fairy tale for adults and similar stuff. That, and the fact that there are people from Lost involved, made me give it a try. After the 3 first episodes, I wanted to rip off my eyes and my ears were bleeding. And not because of how dark it was. Let's go point by point: 1- The actors couldn't be worse (particularly the people portraying Snow White -Ginnifer Goodwin -, her prince -Josh Dallas- and the son -Jared Gilmore- of the main character female hero. She -Jennifer Morrison- is not that great either although, compared to the rest of the cast in general, her acting isn't so bad). I can't stress enough how terrible Ginnifer Goodwin is. 2- The FXs are amateurish. 3- The whole show is even more cheesy than the original fairy tales these people base their script on.

Now, to be fair, the show got better after those first episodes. Coincidentally, when the story stops being focused so much on the main female character, her son, Snow White and her prince and starts paying more attention to darker characters. Thankfully, these are actually portrayed by real actors who can fake a range of emotions properly (see the Evil Queen -Lana Parrilla- and, especially, Rumpelstiltskin -Robert Carlyle-). The FXs also get better. Just when I thought the series was not so bad by the end of season 1, here it comes season 2 to correct me. This new season apparently goes back to focusing on corny clichés, bad acting (the story somehow goes away from the "evil" and more complex characters) and spreading an underlying blanket of Christian morality all over the show. My ears bleeding again and my eyes falling off. I didn't watch any season 3 episode yet. Not looking forward to it either.

A lot of potential in this how. Wasted, so far. That bit of "darkness" comes out now and again (rarely) in the shape of good acting by -literally- two villains fighting with their inner contradictory feelings. However, don't expect anything that any children brought up in a catholic school would consider wrong. It's interesting to see classical tales being used, twisted, changed and mixed up in a number of ways. It is not amusing to do it the way they are doing it. I can throw a safe guess by saying that this show won't appeal to anybody but your common teenager, family oriented people or young adults without complex minds. Talk about overrated series. Anyhow, for Pete's sake, quit the "dark fairy tale for adults" description. If this is dark fantasy for adults, My Little Pony is pure evil rated X.

Once Upon A Time I Fell In Love With A TV Series

Author: n-thecritic
24 October 2011

I only got 3 words for you "best fall series". Last night's pilot of ABC's Once Upon A Time is probably the only new fall show that took my breath away from the first episode. I'm really happy that the creators of lost are finally giving us a new show that makes us wondering what's coming next as we are watching. Finally ABC sets things right after the big disappointment of there recent new shows Charlie's Angels and Pan Am which I had high hopes for them but they didn't turn out as much as I expected.

Now let's take a look at the view rating shall we? Once upon A Time got more than 12.8 million views for last night's first episode while Charlie's angels pilot got only 8.75 million, and Pan Am got 11.06 million, that's a really good start and I hope the series continues on the same path of awesomeness.

My wife made me sit through this trash... horrible show.

Author: Marcus James from United States
9 November 2014

I was in the room while the wife watched 3 seasons of this show and by the end, all I wanted to do is castrate every man in the show, and drive a 12in spike into the skull of every princess/queen (good or bad) in the show. I have never seen more whiny characters in any show or movie in my entire 37 years of life. A lesbian emo nigh club would have more testosterone than the entire cast of this show combined (including men) and I am not even going to touch the plain stupidity of the characters from Rumple and the evil (lol) queen to Sniveling White and Peter Pan. This show is an embarrassment.

Even my wife, a huge Disney fan, made up apologetic excuses to keep watching the show. She just doesn't want her fantasy heroes and characters to suck so bad so she tried to find the good in the show and ignored all the bad.

The Magic is over...

Author: fairhaven from United States
15 October 2013

I loved the first two seasons, but this third season is nothing like I had hoped. It was a great idea, everyone loves Neverland and Peter Pan, but you hardly see him or Neverland, except jungle. This doesn't have the magic the first season did. I guess there's only so much you can do with fairytale characters living in our world, because it's like they're grasping for anything to bring it back, and I'm afraid it's finished.It's dark, dreary and boring, before they would go back into the past and it fit, now it seems very scattered and just a filler. The opening of the third season had only 8 million compared to 12 in the first season and viewing will probably go down. This will probably be the last season for it anyway, loved the first season esp guys, but I don't look forward to the next episode now. Sunday was my last one.

Season 3

Author: gurubesar from Canada
11 November 2013

One of the problem with TV series is that most of the time as the season advance, the story get more and more confusing. This is the case with this series as well. It started out okay, even I would say quite good, but as the story progress, the writer get more and more out of control. In a make believe story, you can have anything, but let's put thing is perspective. Adding Mulan (which is the Disney version of Chinese historical story of the Chinese hero) is the beginning. And then of course you have to add Robin Hood, Peter Pan, King Arthur and all sort of characters from any kind of children books. What missing now is the character from Ramayana, Mahabarata, the Eastern Mythology and the Greek Myth.

Let's get organize guys, prepare the plot carefully and do not go too much sideways just to extend the season. Season 1 & 2 are okay, but season 3 is getting a bit ridiculous when you put in Peter Pan and give a picture of him as the bad guy. This is really not the idea of Peter Pan for the children....

Interesting

Author: Kushal Tank (kushaltank20@yahoo.com)
3 November 2011

From the makers of Lost comes Once Upon a Time.

When Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison) is alone on her birthday she is visited by her son whom she gave up 10 years ago for adoption. While on their way to 'Stroybrooke' the boy tries to convince her that all the residents of the town are fairytale characters and they are not aware of it. This is the core and modern day setting of the story.

The second half of the story runs in flashbacks this the part which you can assume to the be the authentic setting of show white.

So, basically there are two settings which are in different parts of time.

The storyline is good, Jared Gilmore shows some really good acting for his age, other actors have also done a nice job. the cinematography is decent (haven't seen any extraordinary shots or camera angles till now) the sound effects are really great.

If you are looking something as exciting, complex and hardcore as Lost you will be disappointed, come on it's a fairytale but it certainly is enchanting, warm and gripping.

Now the criticisms,

The cast is good but not brilliant. The shift between the two time lines is a little bit awkward sometimes.

In all the show is interesting, so if yo have 60 minutes to spare it's worth venturing into.

Wooden actors, wooden plots, this series doesn't deserve a second

Author: Trevor Hemsley from Brighton
10 May 2012

Utterly contrived, wooden plots with no imagination, bad acting, sets that look cheap and unreal, this series has it all. I could select individual actors for special mention but I'll save them the embarrassment. The cast list sounds quite hopeful with Robert Carlyle and some of the others in it being good actors and well known - I do hope they're being paid well enough to compensate for the dreadful story-less plots and wooden dialog they're being forced to recite. The end of series 1 can't come soon enough for me and hopefully it won't get a second series and we'll be spared the pain of more of it.

Avoid.