IMDb > "Once Upon a Time" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Once Upon a Time"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Once Upon a Time" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Season 3

Author: gurubesar from Canada
11 November 2013

One of the problem with TV series is that most of the time as the season advance, the story get more and more confusing. This is the case with this series as well. It started out okay, even I would say quite good, but as the story progress, the writer get more and more out of control. In a make believe story, you can have anything, but let's put thing is perspective. Adding Mulan (which is the Disney version of Chinese historical story of the Chinese hero) is the beginning. And then of course you have to add Robin Hood, Peter Pan, King Arthur and all sort of characters from any kind of children books. What missing now is the character from Ramayana, Mahabarata, the Eastern Mythology and the Greek Myth.

Let's get organize guys, prepare the plot carefully and do not go too much sideways just to extend the season. Season 1 & 2 are okay, but season 3 is getting a bit ridiculous when you put in Peter Pan and give a picture of him as the bad guy. This is really not the idea of Peter Pan for the children....

Unwatchable

Author: ufhamlet-895-675761 from Charlotte, NC
5 May 2013

I can appreciate that people want a wholesome show that has a continual story arc, constant influx of new characters to learn and engage with, and some sizzle in the form of special effects and plot twists. But OUAT has absolutely no steak.

The writing is garbage. From implausible story elements to plot holes to middle-school- caliber creative writing content, I can feel brain cells committing hari kari halfway through every episode that I endure for the sake of my wife.

The acting isn't much better. Delivery tends to be either over-baked melodrama or flat, emotionless tripe. I sympathize a little with the cast, as Morrison proved that she's watchable in House, and Carlyle has had a great career. I don't know that Hanks and Streep could do any favors for OUAT's script. The boy is shrill and precocious, and while his story tells me that I should be sympathetic and intrigued, I'm desperately hoping that he gets written out and causes at least one of the main characters to have some motivation to do something that actually impacts the story.

Special effects are on the poor end of network made-for-TV fare. Even the costuming and makeup seem to be an attempt to anger taste and logic. Goodwin in particular vacillates between looking like a feminine boy to a ringlet-wigged superhero, neither of which makes her likable or approachable.

The premise is clever, but the execution couldn't possibly be worse. I do believe that family-friendly content can coexist with quality, but OUAT certainly isn't evidence of that.

Wooden actors, wooden plots, this series doesn't deserve a second

Author: Trevor Hemsley from Brighton
10 May 2012

Utterly contrived, wooden plots with no imagination, bad acting, sets that look cheap and unreal, this series has it all. I could select individual actors for special mention but I'll save them the embarrassment. The cast list sounds quite hopeful with Robert Carlyle and some of the others in it being good actors and well known - I do hope they're being paid well enough to compensate for the dreadful story-less plots and wooden dialog they're being forced to recite. The end of series 1 can't come soon enough for me and hopefully it won't get a second series and we'll be spared the pain of more of it.

Avoid.

Unsure whats with all the positive reviews...

Author: Spartan_420 from United States
14 January 2013

First of all I have watched every episode up to date hoping that the acting had to improve since it really couldn't get much worse, but I guess i was wrong. Everyone who is posting positive reviews must be on some serious drugs because it is awful. The plot is okay at best, but it is quickly descending. Snow white, the main character, is a joke, we spend majority of the episode making fun of her and her cheesy lines.

What upsets me the most and has encouraged me to come here and comment is all the users saying that this is one of the best shows of the year and of our time. The first season had something going and now it seems like they are making stupid things up as it goes. Only okay actors are rumplestilkin/Mr.Gold and the evil queen/Regina. So before wasting your time read my review.

Once upon a time is a complete fail compared to every other recent series and needs to be canceled to make room for better things. Putting this show up there with breaking bad, true blood, justified, walking dead, homeland, Dexter, and weeds is a such an insult. Please don't post comments if your are under 12 yrs old and like fairy tails so much that you completely disregard acting skill. Thank you very much and have a great day.

Meh

Author: rebbekcah
13 October 2014

The only way I can describe this show is meh. The premise seemed promising but before the end of the first season, it turned into a fairytale soap opera for 12 year olds. Some of the little subplots were entertaining, such as Ruby/Red being the wolf but this only lasted an episode or two. I was torn between clawing out my eyeballs and falling asleep during all of the Snow/Mary Margaret and Prince/David crap, and the whole thing about Regina/Queen and Emma fighting over Henry got old really fast. The one part of the show that was worthwhile was Rumpelstiltskin/Gold. His character was amazing and he was the only reason I watched as much as I did. Overall, it was pretty cheesy and random, but I am giving three stars for Rumpelstiltskin/Gold.

"Magic always comes with a price"

Author: Simon Bubach from Sweden
14 January 2012

This is a very innovative TV series. The evil queen wants her own happy ending, but "magic always comes with a price." It's a very clever idea, the whole series is made after that concept which makes it very unique.

All the characters are very likable except the little kid who can get a little too much sometimes. Occasionally, the series can be quite silly and goofy but I guess it is for it to be a family show but it feels stupid sometimes. But besides such trifles, it is a good television series that is exciting and fun.

It will be very exciting to see how the series continues. So far it has been very promising. One problem, however, (based on that it has been so successful) is that I'm not sure they have a good plan for a possible season two. I don't want this to become another television series that have a good first season but a bad second one.

Then finally, just to name Mr. Gold, he is easily my favorite character.

Falls short from its potential.

Author: Krista T from United States
12 January 2013

First of all, I love a good fantasy or fairy tale movie/TV show. I somehow made it through 12 episodes of this show before I finally decided that any glimpse of grandeur were just that- a glimpse.

You follow the main actress who is the obnoxious reformed bad girl who gave up her son for adoption ten or so years ago, who is now just as obnoxious as she is. The adoptive mother is the evil queen, and her main role in the current day Storybrook is to tell the aforementioned bad girl to leave HER son alone. Bad girl doesn't listen because her new relationship with her son makes the storyline plod around.

Every character in Storybrook had a past life as a fairy tale character and every episode will retell the story of at least one of these folks in a new way, mostly they seem to be prequels to where most stories start off. They were trying to be fresh with their renditions, the mini plots are way too simple to have any drama to keep you hooked, so I am guessing that the people who LOVE this show are either preteens without standards or are easily distracted by fancy special effects/ Red's crazily inappropriate uniform for the café that she works for. Oh and for some reason it takes all 12 episodes that I watched for Snow White and her prince charming to finally quit beating around the bush and get together in the modern day. This show would definitely have benefited from taking inspiration from the early seasons of Desperate Housewives in terms of how to drive a dramatic romance.

Be prepared to role your eyes at the shenanigans that the characters pull seemingly without any consequences. Character development is minimal, except for Mr. Gold/Rumpeltiltskin or however his name is spelled. I'm pretty sure that he is the main reason I watched as far along as I did, and I seriously hope that he screws everyone over in the end. Another interesting character was one that the queen killed off early on in the most original plot of the entire first season as far as I am concerned, so now it is up to Mr. Gold to carry the shoddy and predictable plots/acting of everyone else. Yes, I am aware that there is a second season so my review is way behind the times,I seriously hope that they pulled a Harry Potter and chose a new director for the new season.

As far as a fairy tale mixer that I think is worthwhile, check out The 10th Kingdom. It dos something similar with the modern day getting an unexpected visit from fantasy land. While both are original, at least 10th Kingdom doesn't fall flat.

Two stars for Mr. Gold.

Interesting

Author: Kushal Tank (kushaltank20@yahoo.com)
3 November 2011

From the makers of Lost comes Once Upon a Time.

When Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison) is alone on her birthday she is visited by her son whom she gave up 10 years ago for adoption. While on their way to 'Stroybrooke' the boy tries to convince her that all the residents of the town are fairytale characters and they are not aware of it. This is the core and modern day setting of the story.

The second half of the story runs in flashbacks this the part which you can assume to the be the authentic setting of show white.

So, basically there are two settings which are in different parts of time.

The storyline is good, Jared Gilmore shows some really good acting for his age, other actors have also done a nice job. the cinematography is decent (haven't seen any extraordinary shots or camera angles till now) the sound effects are really great.

If you are looking something as exciting, complex and hardcore as Lost you will be disappointed, come on it's a fairytale but it certainly is enchanting, warm and gripping.

Now the criticisms,

The cast is good but not brilliant. The shift between the two time lines is a little bit awkward sometimes.

In all the show is interesting, so if yo have 60 minutes to spare it's worth venturing into.

Sadly, this show has become childish and stupid

Author: krushmeat from New York City
3 November 2014

I used to look forward to watching this show. Now it's become so infantile, it's barely watchable. It's like someone at the top said, "let's make this more for kids", and they translated it to 'stupid kids'. Just as 'Once Upon A Time In Wonderland', the stupidity and childish nature of this show has pretty much done it in for me. Clearly the demographic that they're targeting is junior high school kids. Oh well. Goodbye Kitsis and Horowitz. I've enjoyed your creations before, but now they're simply banal. I guess you won't mind losing the intelligent portion of your audience, as long as you keeping setting your sights at the lowest common denominator.

Used to be great, now sucks

Author: qingfengwxc
6 January 2014

It used to be an AMAZING SHOW. Then everything fell apart. The creators make characters change for plot convenience, making them drastically out of character at times. They remove the characters with the best actors, such as Robbie Kay (peter pan)and Jamie Dornan (sheriff graham). They also force a lot of the plot to work, even though it goes against a previously stated story line. Also it is too unorganized, having too many aimless and pointless sub-plots that are not even interesting. Plot is repetitive and boring. True love always solves everything. Also, any character not related to the protagonists family gets cut out of the show. If you're going to watch, only watch season 1. The rest is probably the worst show I've ever watched.