IMDb > "Once Upon a Time" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Once Upon a Time"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Once Upon a Time" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The previews sparked my interest and the pilot just hooked me.

Author: zactac from United States
20 October 2011

Once Upon a Time already shows much potential with a great pilot episode. It really got to the point without giving everything away. It basically tells the background information behind the story seen in the shows fictional town of Storybrooke. It does this in just the right way so that the viewer won't get confused or bored from just hearing the talk of fairy-tales from the side of a little boy.

It's simply about Emma Swan and the destiny she's unaware of. Before she was born a prophecy was foretold that an evil curse would befall all of the inhabitants a fairy-tale kingdom sending them to a world where they no longer remember who they are or the happiness they once knew. In the prophecy it is foretold that Emma would be the one to return and save them from the dreaded curse.

Now while there are many other characters in the story it is meant to revolve around Emma and the issues she must face in order to overcome the curse. The story shows much promise already and with no doubt it is sure to progress as the show continues. Morrison (Emma), Goodwin (Snow White), and Parrilla (Evil Queen) have already hit all of the right notes in just the first episode, Parrilla I loved mainly because she makes a very worthy villain in the show.

Even though it has only begun there is great room for success and progress. I think this could be the show of the fall/winter TV season to watch. If any one decides to watch just one show this fall then let it be Once Upon a Time.

Creative

Author: Jedi_Rumor from Normal, IL
24 October 2011

I really enjoyed the pilot episode. It was refreshing to view a show that was not another reality series or "dare" show. This series brilliant mixture of classic fairy tales that adults have grown so familiar with and blended it with creative story lines. The acting was well done and the special effects were as well. The casting was well done and I couldn't imagine any other actor/actress playing the parts. Without giving too much away it's worth investing the hour to view! I can't wait to see the second episode and recommend this to any one who is/was a fan of Disney movies/Lost. Older children may even enjoy watching the series

A Enchanting Story

Author: killer1h from United States
6 December 2011

Going into this show I wasn't quite sure what to expect seeing as how it was only partially laid out. However to my ever happy surprise this show is amazing, beautiful acting, terrific plot lines, and they weave it together so perfectly that you really just have to applaud the way its done.

This show is about 3 key elements, henry(the boy) he's basically like the guide he tells his biological mother(Emma swan) that the entire town is filled with fairytale creatures and that his adopted mother(Regina mills) is the evil witch that cast a curse upon the town and made everyone forget about their fairytale endings, and now its up to Emma to bring them back. The reason that this show works so well is that it introduces the very seldom seen both sides of the coin element. You see what it looks like in their "modern" town and then you see what happen in the past to lead up to the series of events. All and all it works just right. 10/10 We couldn't have asked for a better show keep up the good work!

Pilot was fantastic!

Author: lostarkeo from United States
17 October 2011

I saw an exclusive screening of the pilot at New York Comic Con and the show has a great start and a lot of potential. The plot and characters are well established during the pilot and by the end of the episode you're just thirsting for more! The episode consists of "present day" followed by back flash sequences in a very "Lost" fashion and it works well with this fairy tale genre. Just so you know what has been planned for the show, the writers at the NYCC panel said that further episodes will focus on the background of the characters. Tune in October 23 at 8PM for the pilot episode and support the beginnings of a great show on the ABC Network.

Once a upon a time, a series began by hitting the right note...

Author: iamvinci89
21 October 2011

In 2004 millions of people were hooked to a series right from its pilot. The series- "LOST" went on for six successful seasons and ended on a high note. It is far from forgotten, many are introduced to it everyday through home video and it had become a part of the present pop culture.

From the same show's writers comes 'Once upon a time', starring Jennifer Morrison(House MD) as Emma swan a loner who on her birthday is visited by her son(Henry)(Actor:Gilmore) whom she had given up for adoption a decade ago. While trying to get him home ,Henry tries to convince her that she is a part of the "Fairy Tale" world like all of his neighbors in 'Storybrooke'. He even points out that his mother(Parilla) is 'evil'. Emma of course, never believes him. After meeting his teacher Mary(Goodwin), she realizes his life is not unlike hers. Orphaned at birth, lonely and in need of love. She also sees why Henry would find it hard to like his adoptive mother who she thinks is a "Hard ass".

Meanwhile, like their previous series, the writers have infused this one too with parallel flashback sequences. It takes place in the fairyland where snow white(goodwin again) and her husband-prince are trying to find ways to beat the evil queen's(Parilla!) impending curse.

The pilot hits the right note everywhere. There is not a moment of unnecessary drama, action or even unwanted CGI. Morrison seems at ease with her role as a clueless 'chose one' , who needs to slowly unravel the mystery of the town. The supporting characters seem perfectly cast and the child actor Gilmore does real fine acting for a 10 year old. The plot looks promising too.

However if past instances have taught us anything it is that even great series can take a fall by- 1. Running out of good ideas(like Heroes) 2. The channel canceling it abruptly due to poor Nielsen rating(V).

If 'Once upon a time' can survive these two dreaded pitfalls, then we may have a potential 'LOST' in making. This one is surely the season hit!

Lately disappointing

Author: aaaurora from USA
20 February 2012

I must admit I loved the beginning, but lately it has been extremely disappointing. I feel absolutely no progress in terms of the characters' evolution and every time I think something will actually happen - it is postponed at the end of the episode.

To be honest, 3-4 episodes ago I started ironing during them, as they just do not capture my attention any more .. Now it is more like - whatever...

I am really sorry about the show - it was so nice in the beginning, and now it reminds me an endless loop, like Lost (which is why I hated this one) I hope something will change..Or at least somebody is reading the commentaries, as people start to get frustrated.

i'm in love

Author: Vanessa A from Canada

Such an AWESOME pilot!

I really hope the story lines stay as interesting every week. While I do agree with some of the reviewers here about the fairy tale parts being a bit unbelievable, everything else was perfect. Even the fairy tale parts were acted well. Great cast with believable chemistry.

I've been waiting for a show like this. As kids, we all grow up with these stories, it feels great to see it come to life mingled with reality.

Definitely on my list every week from now. CANT wait for the rest of the season! WOOP!

once upon a time...an amazing show began.

Author: audrey-sondheimer
30 October 2011

to be honest i hate all that fantasy crap, like harry potter, twilight, true blood, and i also hate all the shows that nbc and abc brings to the table. But the other night I was bored and a re run of this was on and I thought what the hell, I'll give it a try. This show is mind blowing. I am officially addicted. There are some questions I have, as the whole present time vs story time doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But the end of the first episode got me so insanely hooked. This show is definitely better than grimm. I don't know how there going to make seasons out of this show, but I am very excited to see. I gave it a 9 only because I am a bit confused on who some of the present time characters are. But besides that, amazing.

Less Than Mediocre

Author: bbb515 from United States
18 May 2012

I want to start off by saying that I really wanted to like this show. However, by the 8th episode I realized that it was a big waste of time. I'm going to have to disagree with all of the other reviews comparing this series to Lost. For me, there is absolutely no comparison between the two. Even if the plot is interesting, most of the actors do not have the skills to pull it off. Jennifer Morrison (Emma Swan) gives an incredibly emotionless performance for someone who is abandoned as a child, and subsequently gives her own child away. Jared Gilmore (Henry Mills) tries, but I find their connection annoyingly lacking. With that said, I think Ginnifer Goodwin is pleasant in the role of Snow White. She was a good choice for this role, as she is accomplished as well as versatile. Goodwin gives off a sense of grace and purity essential for the character. The only other good part about this series is Robert Carlyle (Mr. Gold/Rumplestiltskin)he is creepy and believable in both roles with is important when the performance from Parilla (Regina Mills/Evil Queen) is laughable.

I think this series had the potential to be great, but the casting was done so poorly, it will forever be less than mediocre in my book.

If the premise appeals to you, stick with it!

Author: dtuttle from Seattle
21 October 2011

I love the premise of this. But there are some really poor scenes in the first half of the premier. The acting seemed bad, the script was uncomfortable, large parts of that section were very hard to swallow. The other half of the story where most of the action takes place is plausible, well acted, packed with emotional resonance and charming. It's also got a great dark side to it and the story doesn't hit you over the head by trying to explain every detail of what is going on. There are characters who I think I have figured out but I'm not certain, so I look forward to finding out. However I stuck with it and was rewarded with a marvelous overall premier and I'm looking forward to watching 1.2 right now!

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]