IMDb > "Mortal Kombat: Legacy" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Mortal Kombat: Legacy" More at IMDbPro »

Interesting take on the Mortal Kombat franchise....More please !!

Author: Raf Cole from Antwerp, Belgium
30 April 2011

Just saw the first 3 episodes of the new Mortal Kombat series, and I must say it appears to uphold the quality we first saw with the Mortal Kombat Rebirth short. I think my only criticism is that it's just too short !! I'd like to see a feature film made by this guy, because he definitely knows what he's doing. Strong acting, good action/Martial arts sequences... what more do you want ??

And these are just the character introduction episodes (Kano, Jax, etc) so it can only get better from here on out.

Great job by Kevin Tancharoen and I hope he gets rewarded for his work.

Best regards, Raf

Better than the movies

Author: malcham15 from United States
26 April 2011

This Mortal Kombat Legacy Web Series is pretty good so far, the only problem is that I wish it was a little longer, but its still decent. I like how they are showing stuff like how Kano lost his eye and they eventually mention that Jax's arms are bad after saving Sonya from the explosion. So if anyone sees a Character like if they had Kabal or Cyrax, you'll see them before they became who we all remember from the games.

The Johnny Cage episode was pretty funny since they gave Ed Boon a cameo appearances. Mat Mullins does an OK job for acting but he is a good martial artist. The episode at least stays true to Johnny Cage's character and story.

This is a great Series to the fans who love the series. I believe that they keep up the good work.

P.S. (Kabal has not been confirmed for the series so far)

Excellent!!

Author: Imran Zunzani from India
27 August 2011

Despite of people pointing out flaws and goofs in Kevin's work, I'm really becoming a fan of his takes on characters. Although, the franchisee meddled with his work regarding the outworld episodes, he reclaimed and kept his work as he liked. And this is good. I was in awe, completely for the last episode of season 1. Cyrax and Sektor were just terrific. How Hydro was pulled off the stream in just one episode was meticulous. I'm just looking forward for the next season and hope the seasons continue, to include all characters that were never touched aptly in movies and games, like Noob Saibot. After the 'Cyber Initiative' episode, I'd really like the story of Smoke to screen. Great work done by the whole team. Just, please, keep 'em coming.

Definitely worth a look

Author: jungleboyuk from United Kingdom
19 April 2011

I don't understand why people are so easy to criticise this film, at the time of writing this review, only 2 episodes have been aired. It is petty and immoral to slate a film that they have not fully seen. E.G "I didn't like the first ten minutes of the film, therefore, the rest of the film is crap." So hear is some advice for those who want to slate this series, YOU MUST VIEW SOMETHING FIRST BEFORE YOU CAN REVIEW IT! Rant over.

Since the Rebirth trailer in 2010, a division has been made between the fans of Mortal Kombat; those who are for the remake and those who are against. Now the series has begun, this still seems to be the case. Fans of the "Rebirth" trailer, i believe, will enjoy this thoroughly, and those that did not, have already convinced themselves that the series is a failure, straying too far away from the source material.

There are many fans who refer to this reinvention as the "End of Mortal Kombat," Curiously, the same thing was said about Batman in 1989 AND Batman Begins in 2005. It deserves a chance. Fans have to ask themselves if they would want something fresh or, another Mortal Kombat Annihilation? Even if you enjoyed the Rebirth trailer or not, its worth a watch, if you still don't like it, don't be a bitch about it, just go play Mortal Kombat 9!

Really Good Reboot

Author: Greg Thomas from Wales
27 April 2011

I have been a fan of the Mortal Kombat franchise since MK2 and have watched and enjoyed both the live actions films and the animated series. While the films were entertaining to watch (for simply being MK films) they were far from being exceptional...especially Annihilation. However, I really think that Legacy is bringing the live action MK universe back to life. I have read mixed reviews but cannot see why fans are opposed to the show...it is Mortal Kombat. The shorts keep leaving me wanting more and more, the back stories are a great way of starting the show off and combined with the fantastic fight scenes it actually looks like a well put together mini-series. Sure there are going to be some comedic and cliché moments cuz this is the MK universe after all. I read somewhere that a fan was annoyed that Jax didn't follow protocol when Sonya's life was in danger and reacted 'emotionally'....did you even play the games or follow the story? If you did then you might have understood the relationship between Sonya and Jax....

Anyways...the series is good. It really does leave me wanting to see more and more and I am especially looking forward to seeing some of the other characters. This is the best installation of Mortal Kombat we have ever seen on screen so don't hate it =] One negative point - Make the shows longer. Want. More.

This is NOT Mortal Kombat

Author: holdenmcgrohen
6 October 2013

Don't get me wrong - it's a well-made series, rather entertaining and enjoyable to watch. It would just be better off if wasn't a Mortal Kombat title.

Kevin Tancharoen got carried away and went too far from the MK universe in many ways. First thing that strikes your eye is the cast. They look and act so different from the characters in games, movies and earlier series that it's impossible to believe that you're actually looking at Sonya, Johnny Cage and the rest of the gang. In fact I think Legacy has the worst cast possible for an MK series (except for Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa - he's the best Shang Tsung ever!).

The other disappointing thing is the spirit of the series. For some reason Tancharoen laid emphasis on gore while MK has always focused on mystery and darkness, and the whole MK world would give you the chills. Gore has always been a secondary thing that just added to the whole dark spirit of the story.

Random stupid jokes don't help building the right spirit either (a drunk bum sees a man disappear and looks at his bottle of booze in astonishment? come on! this joke stopped being funny about 100 stupid movies ago!). They just make you miss Christopher Lambert's outstanding performance.

And the story itself got transformed beyond recognition. Why Tancharoen decided to make Liu Kang and Kung Lao best buddies instead of distant relatives is beyond my understanding. It's a great idea to shed light on the characters' backgrounds but the stories this series tells are just too far-fetched and unbelievable.

Of course all the above might concern you if you used to love the games or MK movies. Otherwise you're just about to watch an entertaining series that will give you a distant idea of what Mortal Kombat is all about.

This is all that the previous movies and series failed to achieve...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
4 September 2012

Well I wouldn't really call myself a huge fan of the "Mortal Kombat" franchise, but I did play the games when I was younger, even got a couple of them for my PS3 today, and have watched the older movies, series and even read some of the comic books. I like "Mortal Kombat" for what it is, martial arts fighting without the need to implement a deeper understanding for the reason behind it.

However, I will say that this "Legacy" series is impressive. Especially compared to the older movies and the earlier "Conquest" series. Why? Well simply put because of the production value behind it. It outshines the previous stuff by a mile and a half. There is just a heavier and better feel to this series, it is more in the spirit of "Mortal Kombat", if you will.

I like how it takes each character and gives you some background behind who they are and what drives them. It is all done in a relatively short period of time in each episode, so of course it is limited just how much background story you get about each character. But so far it has been great entertainment and added some nice details to the characters portrayed so far.

As for the acting, well I have been content with the people they have cast for the various roles. People have been doing great jobs bringing the characters alive and believable on the screen. My personal favorites are Scorpion and Sub-Zero, always have and always will be.

I find "Legacy" to be a well worthy addition to the "Mortal Kombat" universe, and it is well worth watching just for the production value behind the series alone. It is really, really great.

I sort of gave up on this franchise as a plausible rendering on the screen after the "Conquest" series, so it was just by sheer random luck that I came across "Legacy", and it was just out of boredom that I sat down to watch it. But after the first episode, I just kept going watching it all, it was just that good. So perhaps "Mortal Kombat" can have a glorious comeback on the screen and justify itself after some questionable previous movies and an even less so series. I am excited to find out...

I just don't get it...

Author: markr_smith from China
4 June 2014

I'm generally enjoying the overall feel of these series (i'm halfway through season 2) in that the acting is OK, the script isn't terrible and the fight scenes are half decent... but i'm getting a little lost with the whole thing. It's nice to see the character's back stories and I understand that the whole Mortal Kombat universe is a bit of a mixed bag anyway, but I was expecting this series to bring a bit of continuity to it all. Would that really be that hard?

Instead we get changing actors from season 1 to season 2, the timelines are all over the place and the back stories get changed from one minute to the next: they completely did a 360 from Rebirth to the Kitana/Mileena story with regards to Baraka - Raiden jumps from being in an insane asylum with no powers (and being white) to being Asian and all powerful...

What I was really hoping for after watching the first few episodes was a linear plot with continuity. I mean, what's the point in making the universe more gritty and realistic if the whole things all over the place? The whole project seems futile. I'll see it through to the end of the series but I have little hope now that any kind of decent movie will emerge from this if they can't keep the main actors.

Weak plot with

Author: Mike Gill from Canada
3 January 2014

Cannot give this series a proper vote without reviewing without mentioning how terrible the plot is. Ed boon gave Kevin Tanchereon way too much freedom in creating the series and in turn falls out of the mortal kombat spectrum. The costumes are horrendous, Kano and Johny Cage are the only highpoints, with Sonya's plot also being cut to about 1/4 of that of Jax's. Everyone else is lacking far below. The Combat and choreography for the fighting is superb, but without depth the fighting feels plain without nothing to hold on to. Watch Mortal Kombat Conquest, or the animated series for a real in-look at what the franchise is really about. Season II is an extended segment of Season 1 with nothing new added.

4/10. Watch if your a hardcore MK fan.

Quick to the inter-webs!

Author: starsandpopcorn (starsandpopcorn@gmail.com) from Florida
3 October 2013

Everyone remembers the old Mortal Kombat games, and to a certain degree fans try really hard not to remember the movies that resulted from them. For the most part, Hollywood hasn't been too great at adapting fighting games (or most video games for that matter). Funny that you-tube was able to make it work after all these years.

Fans are no strangers to web series taking over where Hollywood has abandoned them, and probably the most well done series I've had the pleasure of watching is Mortal Kombat Legacy, which just released its second season. Of course, it features everyone's favorite characters from the games (and even a couple of obscure ones nobody liked playing with), but it manages to breathe new life into them while remaining faithful to what fans loved most about the original games. Essentially, the entire series is updated without being butchered, which was no small task, considering just how ridiculous the original premise actually was. Legacy though manages to offer an original story with new twists on the characters (just wait until you meet the new Liu Kang).

Legacy is directed by Kevin Tancharoen and produced by Warner Bros. Digital Distribution, which means that it's not really an indie project, but it's still a pretty big step as far as taking advantage of the potential for releasing series online. The episodes themselves are pretty short and chapter-esque, usually only lasting about ten minutes or so. The thing is, that Legacy manages to pack those minutes with some pretty impressive features. The fight scenes are awesome, and the series has even featured a few well known action stars like Michael Jai White (guess who he plays). Even the effects and the costuming would be impressive for a feature film, much less a web series.

The thing that has bugged me about the first two seasons is how many characters changed actors. Sure, there was almost two years between seasons, but I'm pretty unhappy about Casper Van Dien taking over as Johnny Cage (I actually kind of liked Matt Mullins and his washed up portrayal of the former action star). The other casting changes though are relatively unnoticeable since characters like Stryker didn't play much of a part in the first season. However, I'm not sure I like this direction of them changing actors, especially with season three rumored to be heading toward production.

The reason why Legacy is such a success is because it is basically fan service. It knows what Mortal Kombat fans want and it tries to give them exactly that (I say "tries" because "real" fans are never satisfied for some reason), and despite the fact that each chapter manages to stand on its own two feet, it's a very addicting web series and easy is very easy to watch. That being said, it's still a series about Mortal Kombat, which means that it's not exactly high art. Don't get me wrong, it certainly pushes the envelope at times with its strong vision and astounding execution, and really does deserve the utmost praise. However, it's not something that stays with the viewer after the credits have rolled. I really liked Mortal Kombat Legacy, but I wasn't exactly fawning over it the next day. I guess that means I'll just have to watch it all over again, and you know what? I'm alright with that.