IMDb > The Words (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Surprisingly Amazing Emotional Story

Author: mjblack13 from United States
10 September 2012

The Words draws you in with its beautiful cinematography and engaged dialog. I was especially impressed with the layers of the presentation. Most films these days will spoon feed you a flat story and leave no room for personal interpretation. The Words layers a complex open-ended plot that demands viewer involvement. I was surprised with the simple surface story presented as each deeper layer was uncovered. Sometimes it came as a subtle hint when other times it hits you straight in the face. The film has the flavor of Memento or Inception; which is refreshing these days. Bradley Cooper surpassed my expectations. I never once saw his type-cast Hangover/Limitless ticks or mannerisms. He was completely in touch with the character and never fell back on default techniques.

Terrific movie... ignore the naysayers!

Author: rv78 from United States
20 September 2012

If you never see a movie unless EVERYONE else LOVES it... then skip "The Words". However, if you are able to enjoy a movie in spite of silly reviewers questioning the ending, the plot twists, or perhaps and don't require countless Dukes of Hazard-style car chase scenes and seeing the nude bodies of the leading ladies... then go see "The Words" and enjoy it! My wife a I went with another couple last night, and we all generally liked it or loved it! We planned on dinner afterward and this gave us time to discuss it... and that was helpful because we all had taken away different interesting bits. The actors are good to terrific. Jeremy Irons is exceptional! BUT...WHAT did it all mean? WHO CARES!!! It meant, quite simply, they made a great movie that requires one to have a mind to enjoy it. ;) Enjoy "The Words" for what it is... something different, finally!

"The Words" is amazing!

Author: Dinece Carmichael from Los Angeles
12 December 2012

I am not sure what Hollywood considers a good movie but I know this is an excellent film. The story is told with such elegance and fluidity that it is a joy to watch. I am buying this movie for my personal collection to make sure that I watch a film, from time to time, that reminds me of art in its highest form. The actors are brilliant, the direction is genius, photography is captivating and the scriptwriting is unparalleled. I completely loved this movie.

Though it was not a blockbuster hit bringing in hundreds of millions, it did earn back its original investment costs and nearly that figure again.

Just when you think you know how it's going to go - the movie bends then twists into another path. Just brilliant!!!

This years gem

Author: buryzoli from Romania
10 December 2012

This film is a rare and brilliant combination of book and movie. You will see this movie like reading a book, just Your imagination will be rest, replaced with this lovely pictures and actors. Words and frames will flow smoothly together before Your eyes, like a big, calm river but with volume, deepness and strenght. The narrator (good choice for Dennis Quaid, especially for His voice) will read for You, Jeremy Irons ("the old man"-a wonderful play of course), Bradley Cooper (just slightly under the other two great actors), Dennis Quaid, Zoe Saldana (good enough), Olivia Wilde (bad choice), Ben Barnes (nice play) and the others, will told the story in a great acting. Highly recommended for film and book lovers too. Beside the good story and acting, what I like most in "The words" is the words.

Four generations of stellar actors!

Author: rtaron from Canada
20 December 2012

This is such an under-rated movie and it is so sad that it will not be seen by more people.

Bradley Cooper has a great career ahead as a producer, he was very smart to make this project. The four generations of great actors were so well- chosen, each one the sexiest man alive I'm sure at one time or another. For me it was Dennis Quaid, and I saw more of the old Dennis Quaid in this movie than in a very long time. Bradley Cooper is the third generation actor in this piece and he really shows his acting chops. He's not just a pretty face! The pretty face is now Ben Barnes and what a great face it is. He is perfect as the young 'old man' in Paris after the war.

I almost never like stories within a story, now do I like stories about authors or actors, they always seem so navel-gazing, but this movie trumps all of those problems in such an amazing excellent way.

Watch this movie, you won't be sorry.

Story telling at its finest

Author: jesse-goulding
18 December 2012

Absent of cheesy one liners, cgi explosions and presumably never ending car chases it was not surprising to see the lack of respect this movie has received. It is telling of our culture to pass by a story, full of such raw, human, emotion, with dis-contempt and frailty.

'The Words' is a movie about life, mistakes and the pain we can all feel inside, and it is this ability to relate that makes it so powerful. It gives me hope, along with a select other few, that cinematic story telling has not simply been reduced to the next ex-cia to shoot up the town, or romantic comedy with the same stale happily ever after ending.

It is real, and comes with the all of the uncertainty and heartbreak of life.

The Words...3 out of 4 Skittles

Author: FilmStallion from United States
8 September 2012

The Words is an engaging film, and almost feels more like a book on screen. And like a good book, it quickly reins you in and keeps entertaining until the end. The writer/director team of Brian Klugman & Lee Sternthal is miles away from their script for the forgettable Tron: Legacy. With The Words they take their time by using their catchy story within a story technique to develop their intriguing characters. The Words may not have the heft compared to other favorites for Best Original Screenplay come this Oscar season, but it is respectable feat for the writer/director duo. Bradley Cooper (The Hangover, Limitless) delivers a nice subtle performance as a struggling writer drowning in a sea of desperation. Cooper continues to hack out diverse performances that continue to show his range and win over more fans. He's proving that he is not just Hollywood's latest flavor of the week. The rest of the cast is strong, and headlined by Jeremy Irons (The Man in the Iron Mask, Being Julia) as a broken down old man surprised to see his long lost book on the best-seller list with some young punk's name attached. The Words was dumped into theaters on what is historically known as the worst weekend for movie attendance, and most likely won't garner much of an audience. The film will also have trouble living up to the competition come Oscar season, but it delivers an entertaining and appealing film on the first weekend of fall award season releases.

Saw The Words/small spoiler!

Author: kcalways from Utah, United States
29 January 2012

I dare not tell the story as to spoil it. I too was in a packed theater but with 800 people in attendance. The story was well executed. Although some reviews were not good, I went and saw this movie anyways. This movie sold out as soon as it hit the Sundance Film Festival list. I was fortunate to secure a seating. All the Actors were fantastic! Olivia Wilde didn't get much of a part. I would of liked to see her character more developed. Bradley Cooper has been criticized for taking this part and they have said it was a poor choice on Bradleys part. I highly disagree. Movies are not meant to be highly MINDLESS! This movie takes an open heart to watch and love! It was easy to like the characters. Especially the UP AND COMING Ben Barnes! How do you play a character That well? without many words? I have followed this Brit's career and It will SOON explode on our American soil! I was very moved by Bens actions and reactions in the film. Ben's movements and actions as he fell in love and lost, and his reaction to another loss was phenomenal! He was VERY believable! Many were physically and emotionally moved by Ben Barnes's performance! For those who were fortunate to see Ben Barnes Performance in Sebastion Faulks Birdsong would agree that this guy will go far. And good luck to him as well as all who had small and large parts of this movie

This movie has a "Princess Bride-ish" type format. In that the story reader goes back and forth. This movie made you think! It made you feel! And will make you feel for days to come!

The True Words...

Author: Kerron McNab from La Ceiba, Honduras
11 December 2012

It's difficult to really determine what this films true intention was at first, but then you realize that this movie is more honest and open then you hope for. It's deep to say the least, it really pulls you in and makes you feel for the characters involved, especially Jeremy Irons Character (past and present). The true price of falsely claiming a work of art is yours isn't the guilt that you didn't write it, its the realization that you could never create it on your own. This movie is inspiring as it is overwhelming, not to be taken into high regard but it was very much worth paying attention to. If you write, if you draw, if you create anything that makes you proud that you did it, share it, if not you will regret it for the rest of your life, that was the true message of this film.

Author: Stewball from Arizona
7 September 2012

Spring and Fall are becoming my favorite movie seasons of the year. And the rating should be a 9.5 The box office may be small but the quality is up.

OK, I want all y'all that are allatime complaining that they don't make good movies in Hollywood anymore, to go see this. Disregard the press and even the other audience reviews. Why? Because this is a straight drama with no violence, action, gratuitous sex or even much romance even though it's being promoted as romantic. What is has is some magnificent dialogue, acting and a compelling, fascinating story that's as worn yet mysterious as the old satchel he finds the manuscript in. Unfortunately, those aren't things that sell movies by themselves, because so many people feel cheated if there isn't violence, action or gratuitous sex--even occasionally.

Anyway, the actors are all on time of their game IMNTBHO, especially Dennis Quaid who the directors must have worked real hard on to get him to stop using the 4 or 5 mannerisms he'd come to rely on for the last 10 or so years. Olivia Wilde has never been more attractive (offputtingly smiling at first but for a reason) and she delivers the best line in the movie perfectly. I don't think anyone would expect Jeremy Irons to turn in anything but perfection in that deep voice of his, which he does. And I'm moving Bradley Cooper a couple more notches up the respect ladder into pretty rarefied territory. The ending felt a little flat until I gave it some thought.

**SPOILER Cooper's/Quaid's character decides to write another novel which he presents as an extension of the first fiction (lie), which is actually the truth. He thinks, and it may well be, that it's his only out. What do you think? How many people would even give a second thought to the morality of the situation in his position. END SPOILER**

It isn't expected to do well at the box office, but that'll give you plenty of elbow room in the theater. And hey, The Expendables 2 is still playing.

Hmmmm, after all the disclaimers, probably the only people that see it are the ones who were going to go see it anyway. But hey, we know who we are, right. .............RIGHT.........Right........right.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]