IMDb > "Awake" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Awake"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Awake" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Awake Pilot = Magnificent!

Author: jusup from Norway
19 February 2012

This is my first review, did not consider reviewing any shows since almost everyone disagrees, but let's agree to disagree :)

My eyes were glued to the screen while i was watching the pilot and every single second of it, i did love.

Why? Because it's something new and believe me i have watched too many TV shows to be easily impressed by a new one, since its almost always the same "stuff" BUT..

Awake - did it, it impressed me. I'm highly grateful to those producers that gave this show it's awesomeness...

I see that many people do like this show and rated 10, in my opinion: that's exactly what this show deserves!

So if you are searching for a TV show where there is drama, mysteriousness, crime, awesomeness and at last but not the vary least NEW? This is a show you've got to see, don't take my word for it and see for your self ;)

Best regards Jusup

I'm craving for more!

Author: Watchakaboom
17 February 2012

First of all, I'm happy to see Jason Isaacs in this new TV drama. Though I've seen him in many successful movies like The Patriot, Black Hawk Down, Peter Pan, and the Harry Potter series, I didn't know how versatile an actor he is until I saw the pilot episode of Awake. He deserves the role.

For Kyle Killen, I hope he continues to write better material for Awake because it has so much potential. Awake made me feel like I was watching The Twilight Zone and Inception all packed in one story. I can't wait to see what's going to happen next.

To all the members of Awake production, thank you and keep it up!

Highlight of the year (so far)

Author: Arn_Thor
8 April 2012

This review is written after episode 6.

Awake captured my interest with a highly promising premise. Detective Michael Britten experiences two realities after a car crash, one in which his wife died in the accident and one in which his son died. Every time he goes to sleep in one reality he wakes up in the other. Queue crime mysteries, excellent dialogue in Britten's therapy sessions and endless pondering about what is real and what isn't.

From episode to episode the writers find new ways of teasing the viewers, reminding us that we are as clueless as Britten about which world is real. With every crime Britten solves, we are given new insight into the exact nature of - and relation between - his realities. I will not spoil anything here, just say that I have been grinning at the screen at the end of many an episode, applauding the show for upping the stakes. However, although the viewer is left asking some major questions, the show is not confusing. The realities are color-coded - one in orange hues and another in blue - and not at a single time was I too confused, which is impressive given the premise.

Jason Isaacs (Britten) carries the show with an impeccable performance; without it the show would have failed. Laura Allen and Dylan Minnette are convincing as the wife and son; Steve Harris and Wilmer Valderrama play Britten's partners in the different realities. The really enjoyable performances are delivered by BD Wong and Cherry Jones as Britten's therapists. It is in these scenes the show shines. The dialogue is excellent and serves as a counterweight to the (only somewhat) more traditional crime and family story lines.

The show is refreshing in its originality, the story lines and most of the dialogue is, as far as I can tell, excellent craftsmanship, and great acting brings every episode home. In fact, the show has thus far shone brighter with every episode. I have long awaited a show like this, and it is by far the most interesting _new_ TV-series this year.

Have Been Waiting for This One

Author: Johnny Pappas (Johnny_Pappas) from San Diego CA, US
16 February 2012

Finally we get to see the long awaited pilot of Awake. I loved Jason Isaacs in "The State Within" so I was looking forward to this show. As the tortured main character, Detective Michael Britten, Isaacs is up to the task to show the pain and joy that he experience when going between both worlds, one where his wife survived a crash and his son died and the other where the son survived and his wife died. I enjoyed the back and forth between the two therapists in both worlds, each seemingly trying to convince him that their world was the real one, and the way the criminal cases he investigated unfolded. I'm looking very forward to more of this show!

Imaginative TV

Author: Mbtm2007 from United States
6 March 2012

This was one of the quickest and most engrossing hours of TV I have viewed in awhile. Jason Isaacs, B.D. Wong, and Cherry Jones are amazing in this series. It is just a tad strange not to hear Mr. Isaac's natural English accent, but I can adjust as I did for Hugh Laurie as House. I am worried that this show might not find an audience and it will end up with the same fate as many other brilliant, intelligent series - canceled with hardly a chance. The juxtaposition between the two worlds in which the character finds himself is clearly written and intriguing. Which reality is the correct one for Britten? It is hard to decide but makes for good storytelling.

I really hope this show is picked up!

Author: getupday from United States
2 March 2012

I must say, the premise is admittedly frustrating: A man in a terrible car crash with his wife and son finds that each time he goes to sleep, he wakes up with a completely different reality. In one, his wife survived the crash, while his son died and in the other, his son survived, but his wife did not. Though neither outcome seems dreamlike. He lives and works in each, accepting both as absolute fact. Add to this already complex premise his duties as police detective having to solve not one, but two crimes per episode and...whew...I'm exhausted. But also, highly entertained and captivated! Jason Issacs, who plays the lead in this dual reality is superb, as always and surrounded by an exceptional supporting cast. I hope NBC renews this show, I have a feeling it will be must see television.

Brilliant!

Author: larry-anspach from United States
8 March 2012

Ahhhhh...I finally found an oasis in the middle of mediocre television! The premise behind this series is novel and provocative. After surviving a tragic car accident involving both his wife and his son, a detective finds himself living in alternating, parallel existences with two distinct (and contradictory) realities. I had to resist the temptation to think up different ways he could "validate" one reality versus the other...but then realized that you could distort either or both enough to make the storyline plausible. Using two different psychiatrists in the framework that debate the existence of the other is brilliant. The intersection of these two realities (where it appears the events in one reality are "co-incidentally" related to the events in another, in some enigmatic way, adds to the mystery. This show is an intriguing mind-bender that I suspect will become quite addictive!

Pilot Shows Promising Premise

Author: jorge_december from Mexico
16 February 2012

Having watched the Pilot episode of the long-awaited show "Awake" I've got to admit that I felt surprised and proud of waiting patiently for this series to come.

Jason Isaacs stars in this melancholic show as Detective Michael Britten, a man who suffers a car crash with his wife and son. Soon, every time that he wakes up, either his wife or son appear, with the other having died in the previous accident. As Britten attempts to make progress in his own life, he realizes that having both of them in his dreams are better than having only one left in his life. At the same time, Britten tries to solve crimes as he starts finding connections between them and therefore possible clues.

The show has powerful family values, as well as the theme of faith. Jason Isaacs never lets go as the desperate father and husband who tries to deal with his dreams with the help of two psychiatrists, each one in one of his realities.

I have high hopes that this show has the will and power to go on, but most of it depends on the viewers. Let's hope they channel into this show every week and attempt to reflect on such a complex but original plot.

One of the best shows for 2012, so far.

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
28 March 2012

Detective Michael Britten(Jason Issacs) while out with his wife and son, is involved in a car accident. But then things take a turn for the confusing, because he starts enduing two parallel worlds, one where is wife(Laura Allen) lived and there coping with the loss of there son. And the other is his son(Dylan Minnette) lived, and is a widower, trying to be a good father. Britten tries to keep his sanity in both worlds, And his Therapists from both worlds (Cherry Jones and BD Wong) try to convince him that both worlds are a dream, but the question IS IT?

A well made series, it is very clever in it's writing. I hope the writing will keep more interesting, and not give anything too quickly. Jason Issacs is really good here, has a struggling man trying to keep himself sane, you really get drawn in with his character. And everybody else in supporting roles is good too. I hope this show will go on for a while.

No dreams or no reality?

Author: ma-mr-alpha from Italy
22 February 2012

Only wakefulness and sleep. No dream. Or perhaps no reality? And who decides what is reality? An exciting new TV series, which began with an outstanding pilot. Crime, drama, mystery... wisely mixed ingredients that promise a splendid series. It will be hard to wait each week to see the sequel. And even more until mid-March, now. Unfortunately, as with many TV series with complicated plots, there is the risk of a sudden interruption. Let's hope not because it seems very promising. Amusing character played by B. D. Wong, as the counterpart played by Cherry Jones. Probably, "marble face" of Steve Harris fits for this part, or at least it seems appropriate to me. So far, however, only a good introduction: let's hope for a worthy continuation!

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]