IMDb > "Person of Interest" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Person of Interest"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Person of Interest" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I was pleasantly surprised!

Author: Right-Wing-Man from United States
25 September 2011

I tuned in not expecting much, and what I got was priceless enjoyment.

I always felt that Jim Caviezel was a good actor who has gotten a raw deal since "The Passion." His best work was "Frequency," but I tell you what his acting in "Person of Interest" was excellent and now I'd have to saw this is his best work to date. If this is any indication, I really look forward to watching him more in the future.

Michael Emerson, well, what can I saw, the guy is a brilliant actor, for "Lost" fans he will not disappoint. You just can never take your eyes off of John Reese and Mr. Finch.

The storyline is cool as well, it kind of has a "24" vibe going on but with it's own innovative twists and turns.

Good writing and of course Jonathen Nolen and JJ Abrams are pretty much golden at this point.

Thanks for a great effort, you've got a fan here and I hope this lasts many more seasons!

Realistic, Gritty, Fresh, AMAZING

Author: MajorFilmFan from United States
12 October 2011

"Person of Interest" is the brainchild of Jonathan Nolan, the brother of director Chirstopher Nolan. Jonathan wrote the screenplays for Christopher's movies "Memento", "Batman Begins", "The Prestinge", "The Dark Knight", as well as the upcoming "The Dark Knight Rises", and "Man of Steel", which Christopher is producing. But, back to "Person of Interest". John Reese (Jim Cavezil. OK, I did NOT spell that right. It's the guy that played Jesus in "Passion of the Christ", is a former government agent who experienced a tragic event in his past, and wants to conceal it from everyone. He is essentially homeless, but possesses some pretty impressive fighting skills. It's these fighting skills that make him noticed by two people: the first is an NYPD agent, Carter (Taraji P. Henson), who doens't really know who Reese is, and Reese doens't want to reveal anything to her. The other person is Finch (Michael Emmerson), a mysterious millionaire who was hired by the government after 9/11 to create a Big Brother like machine that would help save innocent people from being killed. But, eventually, the Machine began to take on a mind of it's own, and Finch took matters into his own hands, helping these people on his own, without the help of the government. It's this that leads him to Reese. He sees in Reese someone like him, a person who can't get over past tragedies, and it's those tragedies that are holding him back from being successful. Finch and Reese become somewhat of business partners, with Finch using Reese to find ways to save innocent people. But, sometimes, these people are not as innocent as they seem.

Johnathan Nolan has created a truly original show here. A gritty world filled with corrupt, and often complex characters. That's partially what makes this show so good. It's ORIGINAL. The world that it portrays may be unfaltering, and corrupt, but something about it feels REAL. You can relate to Reese, however, you don't know enough about Finch's mysterious past to really care about him. However, Michael Emmerson DOES portray this extremely strange and complex character in a way that makes him strangely likable. The action and fight sequences feel like something that belongs in a movie, particularly, one that Johnathan's brother, Christopher, would probably direct, and that Johnathan would probably write. This IS a VERY VERY good show, and it's one that will certainly surprise you.

An action thriller with substance.

Author: johnnymacbest from United States
27 September 2011

From the opening moments of "Person of Interest" I was gripped like wet rope from beginning to end. This is because JJ Abrams and Jonathan Nolan, a successful collaboration at best, delivers thrilling action in both it's plot and action scenes. But what I like most about this series is it's exploration of the post-911 world of NYC and the "surveillance State" which is so plausible that it's frighteningly disturbing. Though admittedly vague, more will be explained in future episodes in further detail.

Jim Caviezel is likable as an action hero. He brings a cold as steel demeanor but also has heart. An ex-government agent whose past has yet to be explored along with partner Mr Finch(played wonderfully by Michael Emerson) they set out to save soon-to be-victims of crime from unknown assassins and vile figures of high society by way of a machine that can predict future crimes. Despite similarities with Minority Report, it's much more grounded in reality and makes it more compelling as to the nature and mystery of the technology behind it. But I've a feeling that's just scratching the surface as to the true nature of it's purpose.

Speaking of Caviezel, the fight scenes have an almost film-like quality flair to them as well as the dialog. I find nothing of fault from the writing as it's backed by superb talent of Jonathan Nolan. His work on The Dark Knight is proof of that and that is what makes this show work.

Person of Interest is a smart, taught, action thriller with substance that is brimming with excitement and dangerous, tense intrigue, and nail-biting suspense.

It's a show that honestly wants to be good...and succeeds at it

Author: Mike Miles from Ames, Iowa
27 September 2011

So I don't have too many TV shows that I would say that I'm hooked on. I had LOST while it was on the air, and that was enough for me. Since that show ended, I've had a couple of shows that I've paid attention to, but none have ever really replicated the intensity and addictiveness of LOST. In fact, in those years, there have been shows that I have thought might have the "potential," but they all flopped and didn't get renewed. For this reason, I have a hard time when someone tells me a show is "the new LOST" or something to that effect.

The show that I'm writing about is not it.

Person of Interest is a new CBS crime drama that started airing last week. I didn't know much about it, but I saw that it had received some good reviews. I did some research and found it had some promise.

First off, it was created by two men named Jonathan Nolan and JJ Abrams. If you do not know who these men are, let me explain. JJ Abrams is the man behind LOST. That should be enough, but if you weren't a fan of that show (gasp!), then he also directed the recent Star Trek movie as well as this summer's Super 8. The other man is Jonathon Nolan. His brother is Christopher Nolan, who directed the last two Batman movies and is working on the third. Christopher directed them, but Jonathan Nolan wrote the screenplays. And he wrote the screenplay for Person of Interest.

Secondly, I noticed the cast. As I mentioned, one of the principal characters is played by Michael Emerson. I am of the opinion that Michael Emerson is one of the greatest actors on television. Benjamin Linus was such a complex, mysterious character and Emerson's acting really brought a lot to the show. The main character, however, is played by Jim Caviezel. I've liked this actor ever since he starred in 2002's The Count of Monte Cristo, but many people know him for playing Jesus in The Passion of the Christ. He's a phenomenal actor that is able to bring out the humanity in a character while at the same time portraying the raw nature of man. In other words, he can play a tough guy with a heart.

That being said, let's talk about the plot. The first thing that came to mind was "Minority Report." Both that movie and this television show are about preventing homicides before they happen. However, as the episode progressed, I thought nothing of that movie, as while the premise is not an original idea, here it is presented in a way that does not seek to imitate. Whereas "Minority Report" was about a futuristic "utopian" society in which crime is prevented through precognition, "Person of Interest" is more realistic and less science fiction. It takes place in present day New York City, a city still living in paranoia after the attacks of 9/11. Without spoiling much of the pilot, the premise is based off the massive security and surveillance undertaken by the government, and what would happen if that system were able to identify potential murderers and murder victims before a situation occurred.

It's obviously inspired by several other films and television shows. However, it doesn't seem like it, and from the direction to the acting to the writing, it's clear that this is a show that wants to stand on its own. It's not trying to be the next LOST; it's trying to be a good show. And personally, I think it'll succeed. It has the action, it has the plot twists, it has the suspense, and all the other things we expect out of a show like this these days. But beyond that, it has a passion behind it—which is what I think drew so many people to LOST, as well as other shows like Firefly and Arrested Development—that this is something that the people behind it want to see succeed and to be good.

Simply well done

Author: tmcdaniel1 from United States
24 September 2011

It is hard to do something fresh or different in this genre. I've found, usually, it is either writing or chemistry that produces success. This show has both (at least in the pilot). Cav can carry the weight of holding one's attention for an hour. He's proved that in spades.

I see this (so far) as Bourne Identity meets Minority Report but, done in a lower key with Cav as the focus not Tom Cruise (that indicates a lower key right away!).

Storyline? Plausible. That's enough of a base for the rest of the team to do something special. If the other five episodes (currently sold) are as good as the pilot, I predict it will be a memorable season.

That doesn't mean it will run longer. We've all see very well done efforts that didn't make it past a season. They appear, years later, strung together like strings of pearls (on a cable channel).

Then we weep for for might have been. However, the quality effort will shine through always.

My fingers are crossed for more than one season. I think the ingredients have all been shown as being present. That is what scares me a bit. The networks have a habit of taking something this good and moving all over the schedule until they've lost its audience.

I hope this doesn't happen and I wish the team the very best of LUCK, because mere TALENT is only part of the recipe.

Abrams' Genius meets Nolan's Class

Author: Akshit Markan from India
5 October 2011

With Jonathan Nolan and J.J. Abrams at the helm, I had great expectations from this show and it delivered in the best possible way. 'Person of Interest' is a sophisticated, intriguing, intense thriller with an exciting plot that kept me on the edge of my seat. After '24', this is probably the only show that stands out in this genre.

Jim Caviezel (Reese) plays an ex-CIA hit-man (which itself sounds cool) who is a tough guy but at the same time has strong feelings for his dead girlfriend which he tries to suppress. Michael Emerson, who we know as 'Benjamin Linus' from 'Lost', plays a scientist who hires Reese to do his dirty work. Emerson, who is known to play complex characters, keeps up his end of the bargain by giving a flawless performance. Even though the show has just began, I can see Jim and Emerson sharing great on-screen chemistry in the future (hopefully there is one).

There is a vast difference between writing a screenplay for a movie and a TV episode. But, that did not matter since, Johnathan Nolan, making his debut in the TV industry, had great help in the form of Abrams, who has been doing this day in, day out for so many years. Apart from the talented writing, the show also showcased some riveting action sequences, good editing and awesome visuals. The surveillance cam shots added another dimension to this show.

'Person of Interest' has a lot of potential and I would hate to see it become just another crime show. I hope it continues to impress and gets a renewal soon.

Best new drama of the 2011 US shows

Author: abecipriano from Manila, Philippines
1 November 2011

I've been totally addicted to this show ever since I watched the pilot a few weeks ago. James Caviezel is dark, brooding, yet calm and methodical when he's in action. Michael Emerson from Lost is also effective as the guy who invented the machine that predicts that violent crimes are about to happen.

It's an intriguing show. Closest plot that reminds me about this is Minority Report, but with a made-for-TV treatment that's still pretty damn good. Guest stars are also familiar to those who've watched Law & Order, CSI, etc., and are complementary. The cop trying to chase after him's a bit of a stretch but I guess they need something for continuity.

Worth recommending to those who want to hitch on a new action, mystery show that's very well-written and fantastic-paced.

Go watch it and you won't regret it.

Something new, something really good

Author: sasazg-1 from Croatia
27 September 2011

Finally, something original. The whole premise of the show seems little bit strange at times, but it makes sense. It's something we haven't seen on TV in while. I like the actors that were casted for the show, Jim Caviezel looks good as an ex-CIA hit-man, his martial arts sequences are credible, he looks like he knows what his doing. Michael Emerson is perfect in his role, as an odd billionaire who is a genius. A strange team that solves strange cases, it has a mysterious vibe which is good, it has a JJ Abrams signature all over. Nice bounce back for him after the failure of The Undercovers last year.

Definitely, a show that deserves a chance, it could become a hit, I guess it all depends how the story unfolds beyond the opening episode.

Give It Time!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
23 September 2011

I love the lead actors, Jim Cazaviel and Michael Emerson, who play Reese and Finch in this post-9-11 world. Finch finds and bails Reese out of jail and hires him to help protect Jessica Hanson in the first episode from being killed or killing. Unlike other crime dramas on the air, they don't play by the book which is refreshing. I hope they add more female characters in to help explain Finch and Reese's backgrounds. I love Michael Emerson ever since his performance in Lost. As Finch, he's totally believable as the rich billionaire who wants to make a difference and stop further horrible attacks such as murder. We don't know why he does it except how he felt after the September 11 attacks in New York City but he realized how much or how little money and power. Finch developed a system to help track persons of interest before something terrible happens to him. Reese is perfect as a former government agent disillusioned by the agency and the world to help him foil further plots. I keep looking for the future for this show and hope it lasts a season.

You are being watched, the machine.

Author: kuashie from Ghana
15 November 2014

This is a cleverly made series with a kick ass plot, interesting acting and character and a very bad-ass hero. This series keeps you at the edge of your seat throughout, since its concept broadens the paths the series can take.

The premise of the show is kept intact unlike some other shows that are too afraid to stick to premise. Past and present events are placed well and strategically thus leaving no room for plot holes. There are a lot more good parts to it, but I leave it here.

Season 1 is good, season 2,3,4 are better. This show is definitely worth you time because it is delivered in every kind of flavor.

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]