Add Full Plot
Best of the Rest
- James Washington. The Cowboys defender dominated Super Bowl XXVIII.
- Defense. The Bills faced four elite defenses, including Bill Belichick's Giants defense, while the Bills' own defenses were average or weak.
5. Unheralded quarterbacks: Jeff Hostetler and Mark Rypien unexpectedly shone for their teams.
4. There's no place like home. The Bills thrived in their cold weather climate, but Super Bowls are played in warm weather cities.
3. A jinx of geography. Buffalo was never known for championship sports teams, but was known for a few villains. The teams they lost two were teams and cities with championship pedigrees who were accustomed to the spotlight.
2. How 'bout them Cowboys!
1. Whitney Houston: The New Jersey native faced and looked at the Giants during the national anthem; her stirring rendition inspired them. The Giants loss set the tone for the following three Super Bowls.