IMDb > Last Love (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mr. Morgan's Last Love

Last Love More at IMDbPro »Mr. Morgan's Last Love (original title)

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Brilliant!

Author: Ali Tayshoori
1 January 2014

Mr. Morgan's Last Love (2013)

I have to say, this is a way above average drama. There's a lot to like about this film: 1- Acting: It was stunning. I mean Michael Caine, what do you expect! Clémence Poésy's performance was not bad either. 2- Cinematography: The film was beautifully photographed. Actually, this is one of the very few films this year that were shot on actual film. We should learn to appreciate every single detail about this dying medium. Film in itself is magical and artistic. We should learn to appreciate the randomness of the grain, the color latitude, the dynamic range, all the nuances. 3- Michael Caine's horrible fake American accent. 4- Poésy's eyes when she smiles. She's adorable!

There isn't much to not like about the film. The plot thickens towards the end of the film and the pacing gets a bit messed up. Maybe that's a good thing, I don't know. My overall impression was very good. I loved it! 7.5/10

Worth Watching

Author: John Lester Cabreros from Regina, SK
12 October 2013

This movie is so emotional and from the very beginning,I was carried away with the sympathy and very doleful atmosphere throughout the movie. Michael Cain did a wonderful job here. He was able to maintain his character till the end. The soulful music is just right to the theme which it made the setting more captivating.The other cast were wonderful as well. After watching this movie, it makes me more reluctant to visit Paris in the near future.This is one of the great movies I have ever seen in my life. I wish there is an English version of the book where the movie was taken from.

This is a must to see movie.

Sad but stunning

Author: busyhobs from Chesterfield, England
15 December 2013

I felt compelled to write something about this title. I was initially confused by Mr Morgan's accent, which is probably the only reason this is a 9 and not a 10. This film is beautiful in every way, the story, the characters and the setting. The subject matter is quite sad, but I still felt a warm glow in my heart at the end. The French setting also adds to the sophisticated feel of this movie, giving a perfect backdrop to a complicated and endearing love story. This film is a cuddle up with a "loved one" classic. The pace is good too, slowly meandering through Mr Morgan's life after he lost his wife; subtly showing his struggle as he closes himself off from the world. You feel there is little hope until, a young dancer, opens up a crack and lets light back into his life. Anyone who likes a less conventional love story will adore this film.

Slowly moving

Author: r-hehl from Germany
28 August 2013

After Sandra Nettelbecks movie Mostly Martha I had high hopes for this one and was not disappointed. In contrast to Mostly Martha, the film is more Drama than Comedy. This movie is about a dysfunctional family with a father/grandfather being estranged from his children. This is something almost every family can relate to. The movie develops slowly, revealing the family secrets one by one. At the end we will feel sympathy with every member of the family because we understand their positions but we are far from knowing how to solve their problems. The solution or kind of a solution that will leave most of us happy is also revealed slowly. This is a slow movie with very good acting. Michael Caine is excellent. The only thing that bothered me a little was the music.

Great acting, great story , a real MUST-SEE

Author: Ton van der Velden from Netherlands
18 October 2013

I saw this great film 4 times and would have watched more often if my local cinema would not have finished showing it after 3 weeks already. I loved the acting, the mood, the music, the scenes of Paris. I "fell in love" with Clémence Poésy (real name Guichard, Poésy is her mother), a star in 3 Harry Potters, In Bruges and much more. This film was shot between October and December 2011, so it took 2 years for a wide release. First they filmed in Paris, then St Malo (Mr Morgan has a summer house there), then the interiors in Brussels and Cologne, as it's mainly a German production, in English and a bit of French. Matthew Morgan is a retired American professor of philosophy, living alone in St.Germain, Paris, ever since his wife died 3 years, 2 months and a few days ago, when he meets the young Pauline, a modern dance teacher, on a bus and then again. Her father also died (the director dedicated this film to the memory of her own father who also died). She seems to be in search for a father figure and starts helping Matthew. We don't get much or anything to know about her own problems. Matthew tried to kill himself, and Pauline livens up his life. He had a friend whom he took to expensive dinners but when she moves out of Paris he became even more lonely and Pauline fills that gap nicely and becomes his last love but purely platonic. After his second suicide attempt she visits him in the hospital and here also his son and daughter arrive, thinking Pauine will be their new stepmother or is a bimbo. It turns out the relationship between father and his son and daughter is far from good. They quarrel about their mother who wanted to die in Paris but they feel he took her way from them. Miles Morgan ,the son, plays just one face here all the time, an angry one. Karen, the daughter, has also an angry role and quickly returns to the USA when there are family problems back home. Pauline is caught in between. The film then becomes more or less 2 stories in one, about her and Mr Morgan and Mr Morgan and his children. The ending (which of course I don't reveal here) leaves you wondering about a number of things, most of all how much time there was between the last scene and the penultimate one. In general there's some guessing to do here and gaps to fill by yourself, but that's fine as the best films always leave room for own interpretations. The acting is superb, by Micheal Caine (who might get an Oscar nomination) but mostly by Clémence Poésy who is a real kindhearted spirit, and the "crack in Mr Morgan's life, that lets the light in". Mr Morgan says she does not have a mean bone in her body and Miles thinks she lights up the room with her presence. So Pauline is a dance teacher. Right NOW Clémence Poésy stars on stage for 2 months in a theatre in Paris in a play called "I always dance" (a war story monologue) and the French reviews are mainly glorious, so it shows she has great acting talents. Educated bilingually she lives a lot in London and New York and is also a great fashion model, on the cover of many magazines. A great film about love and friendship and family ties, albeit melancholic and with not a lot to laugh, but of a sort I wish would never end and Paris looks lovely. The director manages to give us neither too much nor too little emotion and avoids big clichés and banalities. I can't wait for the DVD (January 2014).

An eye wetter for Michael Caine fans

Author: airborne60 from Sweden
22 February 2014

Michael Caine is getting old. Playing an old man, acting or real? He is at his best. Gone is his dry humor and whit, gone is also his regular British accent (apart from a few strongly emotional scenes when he suddenly looses the American accent he is supposed to have).

This is a very odd movie, difficult to put into any frame. The acting is nothing else but superb, not a single moment without complete realism.

Watch this move alone or with your significant other, do not forget the paper napkins, because this is very emotional. My eyes are still wet, this is a movie that will remain in my mind for a long time.

So sincere and well acted it rises above a good but uneven script...see it

Author: secondtake from United States
30 May 2014

Last Love (2013)

This is such a poignant and well meant movie it's hard to not like it and its intentions. What it fails to do is "rise above." It is a heartfelt look at finding meaning at the end—and the beginning—of life in Paris, and yet it remains somewhat prosaic, missing a beat now and then. I loved it at times, but only very much liked it by the end.

I love without reservation "Mostly Martha," the most successful movie by the director, Sandra Nettlebeck. In that one, she makes her understanding of being German, and its limitations, an important part of the movie. Here we are in France, in a plot based on a French novel, with a British actor playing an American and a young French woman. Michael Caine is nor ordinary actor and he's actually wonderful here. And indeed the young woman who plays his muse, in a way (the woman who creates the "crack" in his world that is the key to the movie), is also very good, if common (played by Clemence Poesy—she appears in a couple Harry Potter movies).

What succeeds beyond these very good performances is the idea of a man near his last days in Paris, after the death of his wife, and a young woman who befriends him out of some unexplained loneliness. What they form is an odd but believable friendship. Their family and other friends do not understand or approve, but it makes sense to them, even when it's awkward. It's a kind of brave and interesting subject.

What it lacks is exactly the right feel and touch, the sense of trueness to spirit and character that people might actually have. There are moments that are just great, a rebellion or a quiet look, and then there are moments where the characters act, well, out of character. A hair.

If this seems like picking on nuances you have to understand that the movie is about such emotional and psychological nuances. It sets its own bar high, and so suffers from that. Sometimes.

See it? Yes. I liked it wholly. But see also "Mostly Martha" for a similar sense of finding what matters, of pan-European feelings, of crossing normal boundaries with romantic flair.

A romantic, eloquent tale of life and yes… last love

Author: JohnRayPeterson from Montreal, Canada
30 December 2013

Sandra Nettlebeck wastes no time getting to the hard drama in the first scene of the movie and that's the way to give the audience a glimpse of what's to come, right off the bat. Michael Caine was the man to deliver that gripping attention grabber and he did it well. The movie is unpredictable but not shocking; despite your best efforts to see what's coming, you won't, but it's not for effect, I don't believe, it's just life, and director Nettlebeck does her best to make that point.

Mr. Morgan, played by Michael Caine, lost his wife; the movie introduces her to us via the images in his mind throughout the movie, while he struggles through what is no longer life, no longer that is till a chance encounter on a bus with the almost reincarnation of the dear departed. He meets Pauline, played by Clémence Poésie, again on the bus not long after and a perplexing relation ensues, one hard to define and it would be futile to try. What the aging retired professor of philosophy had not come to terms with before the passing of his wife, Pauline helps him find it eventually, him and his son Miles.

The story is sombre in many scenes, hopeful in others and always thoughtful thanks to nice writing and fine performer's use of body language when mere words can't be enough or just too much. That is what I liked most about this movie, beautifully simple as it should be. Emotions will be triggered if you have an ounce of sympathy or empathy, but it's not over the top. Michael Caine's performance is one I'll remember as long as I remember him.

The setting, Paris mid autumn, made me fall in love again with that city. The cinematography is perfect and it reveals a bit of why the city of sights, sound and forgivable sins is so attractive; it doesn't overshadow humans, it provides for them. Ending on another fine note with the song 'Not too Late' by Norah Jones sealed it for me. This is a serious movie for serious people, about life and I recommend it because of that for those who want to hug… you'll feel like hugging after this movie.

A pleasant film with a few inconsistencies

Author: arlindo nogueira marques correia (correar) from Lisbon, Portugal
4 January 2014

it's an unpretentious fine film, which can be seen with pleasure.

Interpreters are beautiful and the dialogues are very pleasant.

As it is usual, authors have some difficult in finding an end for the movie, being possible a few of them. Probably due to this, the last half hour is a bit inconsistent: Pauline redirects her love from father to son a bit too quickly.

Also illogical is that people go from Paris to St. Malo and vice versa as if it was the next town in the map, or as if they had taken helicopters instead of driving or taking a taxi.

Michael Caine exhibits his 80 years splendidly. I am astonished seeing that he will act at least in three films this year.

Spoilers about the ending

Author: chrismackey1972 from United States
24 December 2013

OK, Michael Caine is great in anything. He's one of the true actors with real talent who's still working. Clemency Poesy is good, but beside this film, the only other movies I saw her in were the Harry Potter movies, so it was a pleasant surprise that she can act as well as look pretty. The movie was fun, charming, rather predictable at times.

However, they ruined the last 15 minutes or so when - out of nowhere - in the hotel hallway, after leaving Miles' room, Pauline stop, turns, and runs into his arms and passionately kisses him. I was sitting there thinking "She's kissing him, why?" It's like there must have been a scene that was deleted in between when she left Michael Caine at the house and when she met Miles at the hotel. That part just seemed thoroughly disjointed. My biggest problem with the movie was Michael Caine committing suicide. He tells Miles to tell Pauline he has everything figured out, and then he's dead. He didn't have things figured out. People who commit suicide don't have things figured out, the problems in life overwhelm them, and that's why they kill themselves.

He told his son that he was never into marriage for the long-haul earlier in the movie. If Mr. Morgan really cared about Pauline, he should have stuck around for her, because if he was right about his son, he had to know the relationship between her and Miles would fall apart. When that happens, she'll have absolutely nobody. And did anybody else think Miles looked like a young Harry Connick, Jr.? The acting was great, but that last 15 minutes needed to be re-worked so it wasn't so...disappointing. I gave it a seven. Had they ended it right, I'd have given it a 9 or a 10.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]