IMDb > "Game of Thrones" The Pointy End (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Game of Thrones: The Pointy End (#1.8)"

"Game of Thrones" The Pointy End (2011)

« Prev | 8 of 73 Episodes | Next »

War Strategy

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
19 April 2014

The Lannister guards slaughter Stark guards and staff and take Sansa arrested. They try to capture Arya, but Syrio Forel defends her and she escapes but finds her sword Needle and beings with her. When a boy tries to grab her, she accidentally kills him. Varys visits Ned in the dungeon and gives water to him and updates him with the news. Sansa agrees to send a letter to Robb to protect her father. Jon is frustrated that he cannot join his brother in the imminent war. He saves Commander Mormont during the night when a monster tries to kill him. Tyrion and Bronn are under siege of hill tribes and the cunning dwarf negotiates with them and they travel together to the place where the Lannister army is camped. Khal Drogo and his warriors destroy a village to take people to sell as slave to finance his invasion of the Seven Kingdoms. Daenerys orders to stop killing and raping the villagers and one of the Drogo's men offends Daenerys and challenges Drogo to fight with him. Drogo is wounded on his chest and one of the women she saved that is a witch treats his wound. Robb has a meeting with the lords and consolidates his leadership. When his men capture a Lannister scout, Robb releases him and sends a message to Lord Tywin telling that he will fight against him. Tyrion meets his father with the hill tribes that join their army. Sansa begs to her father's life in the court and Joffrey says that he will not kill Ned if he confesses his treason and recognizes him as king.

"The Pointy End" is a great episode with many plot points. Varys is a despicable eunuch, serving the realm in order to be always with The Powers That Be. At the Wall, the dead raises when they are touched by the Night Walker. The strategy of Robb releasing the Lannister scout is certainly to lure Tywin. What will happen to Drogo? Ned will certainly not confess treason and how will he be saved? My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "The Pointy End"

Now The Games Really Begin

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
4 September 2014

In Episode 8 of Game Of Thrones things get very serious indeed for the Starks. Robb learns of his father's arrest and makes a decision from which there will be no turning back.

My favourite scene of the season so far is in this episode, (Tyrions confession previously held it, with Arya's first 'dancing class before it) and it is one of the first, a pivotal moment featuring Arya and Syrio. Sansa's also has a significant role to play in this episode, Sophie Turner really shines in her scenes.

Tyrion is back, and again he gets the best lines (when asked how he wants to die, his reply his hilarious) and he is forming a great double act with Bronn.

We see Jon Snow and Khal Drogo in combat and both impress. Though Daenerys compassion (her "gentle heart" as Ser Jorah calls it) could cause her problems, but with Drogo by her side nobody will dare cross her.

For my money this is the best episode to date.

Fantasy has found its TV master

Author: igoatabase from France
10 June 2011

Khal Drogo will kill all knights to rule the Seven Kingdoms ! That's a lot of Ks for a single series of words but it appears I have broken the third alphabet letter of my keyboard. No "see" ? We'll see ! The truth is that this 8th installment was so thrilling that it convinced me that Game of Thrones would make a great video game. Its gallery of personas is so exciting and diverse. Khal Drogo is probably to the show who Goro is to Mortal Kombat ! A baby crazy crab with a pigtail ? Show some respect ! Seriously his fight against one of his men was bloody brutal and I already anticipate how charismatic he'll look in Conan the Barbarian even if I'll never forget Arnold Schwarzenegger fantastic portrayal. Moreover the scene was mesmerized by what was happening on the winter front. The climatic contrast between both regions, like fire and ice, made me feel like if Daenerys was connected to Jon somehow. Is Drogoro the vessel that will allow her to unleash her inner dragon ? And what about the wolf, is it the dark side of the Snow ? It's obvious the writers blur the lines on purpose and I wouldn't be surprised if their bond became so strong that the death of the animal would be fatal to its Shadow Dancer.

With a lethal Littlefinger on his throat I really worried for Ned's fate. In fact considering what happened to some other characters I wouldn't have been surprised to see him meet a quick death. They don't show mercy on Game of Thrones and that's definitely refreshing and plain bold ! That's why the scene with Cersei and Barristan was so intense because I was almost sure that they wouldn't hesitate to kill him or even call him a traitor. Ian McElhinney performance was knightly to say the least and I really hope his character will turn his back on them, save Ned and join the Stark to make her reign as short as possible. Yes because no one considers Joffrey rules. He's only a puppet in the hands of her evil mother ! But when their vicious smiles toward Sansa made me angry I have to admit that his attitude after her speech convinced me that there's still hope. Was his love declaration in the previous episode authentic ? I thought it was only an other of their mind games. It leads us to Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. The size of a dwarf but the talent of a giant ! His every lines are delightful of wit and the contexts they're told are just hilarious. In fact Jon Snow's chubby buddy reminds me a little of him because at first they look useless but once they begin to talk you quickly realize they compensate their physical weakness with bright intelligence. It's also the case for Arya and I hope her swordfight lessons will help her survive ! As for her brother Bran praying session it was both poetic and funny. A naked giant in the woods ? Gods in the leaves ? Just mystical !

GOT Binge...

Author: jcbsn from Utah
19 June 2016

So we have war it seems. Jon Snow just proves again that he is the best these people have going for them. Already 1-0 against the winter people, who look like nothing to mess with since they don't die, pretty much.

Robb is starting to show some promise. Still no Jon Snow by any means, but at least he is giving Arya a run for her money for the title of best Stark son.

Young King Inbred sucks quite a bit already. Not surprised really. Hopefully he dies eventually and Jon Snow takes the right to the throne. Or Drogo cuts his head off.

The episode falls a bit short to the other two but it's still great.

Author: timothymcveigh from United Kingdom
17 April 2016

The episode starts with the Lannister slaughtering The Stark's while Arya is practicing with Syrio then the Lannister men arrive and kill Syrio. Which is like no because he is one of the best characters on the show and he has a minor role and Sansa tries to get her farther free but doesn't work. Tyrion near the end of the episode arrives at Kings Landing with his allies at the end Sansa tries again and it works her dad Ned Stark will be freed if he confess to his crimes.

So this episode is still great but had a lot to compete with but the whole episode point is to build up tension which it does I am a way more excited for whats to come later on in the show after watching this.

The Pointy End successfully sets-up the last two episodes

Author: gavin-thelordofthefu-48-460297 from United States
13 April 2016

The Pointy End does a very successful job in setting up the last two episodes while still bringing character study to the Starks and Lannisters. Also, the relationship between Daenerys and Khal Drogo played by Jason Momoa is very interesting especially the way they speak the Dothraki language especially in the last few episodes. Also, the end scene where Joffrey promises to show mercy to Ned Stark if he confesses his treason and accept him as the rightful king is very intense. My only quibble is that some of the other side characters weren't given much to do, but it doesn't matter.

It's still well-acted, it's still well-written, and the pacing is much tighter this time around. The music score still manages to be beautiful and the direction is really good. So, overall another great episode and a great set up to the last two episodes of Season 1.

Lannisters Coming For Power!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
16 June 2015

This is the eighth episode of the first season of Game of Thrones. If you ask me, this is another excellent episode to put forth in this series. This episode is all about the Lannisters asserting their power over the Starks, and it is very interesting to watch. I particularly liked the addition of Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister. It's clear he hates his youngest son, but their conversations are very clever and engaging. Also, Richard Madden stands out in this episode as Robb Stark. He finally gets to be front and center, and he does it quite well.

In this episode, "The Pointy End," Ned is betrayed by the Lannisters and is set to rot away in a cell. Joffrey who now claims the title of king commands Robb Stark to commit fealty towards him. He agrees to come to Kings Landing, but this time with an army. The Night's Watch realizes that the White Walkers have returned. Finally, a disagreement ensues between Khal Drogo and one of his men over the issue of slavery.

Overall, this is a great episode. It may not be the greatest episode to date, but it sure packs a punch. I thought the Night's Watch scenes could be tidied up a little bit more, but other than that this is a very fine episode.

My Grade: A

The Dead King's Carelessness Bears Poisoned Fruit

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
23 April 2015

Well, here we are. Heading into a series of battles. There appear to be few good guys. The queen and her smug son, who has ignored what the king wrote, and made himself the new king, is now feeling his oats. One problem is that he is antagonizing some that would be allies. These people are being laughed at and that may come back to bite him in the butt. Ned Stark rots in the dungeon while his daughter is being used as a pawn. She is naive and inexperienced, but she has the courage to ask the boy king for mercy for her father. Meanwhile, Tyrion is back in the presence of his father. Of course, there is no love for him other than his being a blood relative and demanding respect. He is by far the most intriguing of characters, many dimensional, devious and self centered, and as slippery as one can be. But, the big deal now is that all the forces are in place, and their collision will make up the last two episodes of the first season.

The North prepares for war

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
17 August 2015

Following the arrest of Ned Stark the Lannisters quickly move to solidify their hold on the throne. All those who support the Starks in King's Landing are quickly slain, his daughter Arya must flee for her life while Sansa's position suddenly changes; she is told that she can no longer expect to marry her beloved Joffrey and begs for mercy for her father. When news of these events reaches Winterfell Robb Stark summons his bannermen and prepares to wage war against the Lannisters.

Meanwhile on the Wall rangers return with the bodies of two men who went missing some time ago; Sam notes that they don't smell rotten as one might expect… and later we learn why; they have become White Walkers. When they attack they aren't harmed by swords; only fire kills them.

Freed from the Eyrie, Tyrion and his companion Bronn, meet some members of the hill tribes; luckily for them even these barbarians can be bought with Lannister gold and they take Tyrion back to his father. Across the Narrow Sea Daenerys shows mercy to the women of a tribe the Dothraki have just defeated and plan to have their way with… denying them their 'reward' may have lost her some of her support although Khal Drogo stands up to his men to protect her.

This was another fine episode that continues to set things up for the war between the Starks and the Lannisters which has now become inevitable. It is hard to see how Ned will survive and Arya's safety is very much in doubt… for the first time she is forced to use her 'Needle' on a person. The opening scenes are fairly bloody and we see a few established characters die. The saddest of these is Arya's tutor, Syrio Forel, his actual death is off screen but before he falls he defeats several knights using only a wooden sword! Miltos Yerolemou was great in this roll; I'll miss his scenes with Maisie Williams' Arya. It was great to see Peter Dinklage giving another entertaining performance as Tyrion; his speech explaining how he hopes to die was hilarious. After several episodes where Daenerys' status among the Dothraki improved it was interesting to see her compassion set that status back somewhat; it will be interesting to see how it affects her in later episodes. Here we see it lead to one the Dothraki challenging Khal Drogo which leads to an impressive fight. The events at the wall were interesting as they showed us more of the White Walkers; a threat that will inevitable play an important part of the story at some point. Overall a fine episode that advanced the plot nicely and contained many great scenes.

A lot is happening in this one, but with a lot of lame ingredients

Author: ipoweri
2 February 2015

The ridiculous concept from the previous episode continue (read my review of the previous episode for reference) where much of the plot are derived from a unbelievable scenario where the dying king wrote down his throne's faith only with Ned as witness. This entire conflict is based on this stupid plot from the previous episode.

I find the fighting scenes with the dothrakis really lame. It is so overdone. And arguably the two most stupid and deceitful characters in the entire show, Joffrey and Cercei, are suddenly running the show. This can only go bad.

But beside that, the story takes some interesting twists and you can't help but root for Jon Snow and Samwell Tarly. They are a really cool duo. And there is a little cliffhanger to what exactly happened to Arya Stark, another nice character. Well we'll see. I guess I might get over the lame excuse of a reason that triggered this Lannister/Stark conflict from last episode, but it might take a while. It was so lame and I am stunned no other have pointed it out here.