IMDb > "Game of Thrones" A Golden Crown (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Game of Thrones: A Golden Crown (#1.6)"

"Game of Thrones" A Golden Crown (2011)

« Prev | 6 of 51 Episodes | Next »

Tough Decisions, Trial and Coronation

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
16 April 2014

King Robert reinstates Ned as the King's Hand and goes hunting. Ned is recovering his wound on the leg but is forced to take tough decisions against Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane in the name of the King. Tyrion demands a trial by combat and finds a knight to represent him. Viserys disrespects his sister Daenerys and Khal Drogo in front of their people demanding his golden crown and Drogo immediately resolves the situation.

"A Golden Crown" is another gripping episode of "Game of Thrones" with tough decisions take by Ned; the trial of Tyrion; and the coronation of the ambitious Viserys that finally receives a golden crown. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "A Golden Crown"

Not the full potential, but still really great

Author: axel-koch from Austria
31 May 2013

The previous episode was awesome and so my expectations in this "A Golden Crown" were pretty high. As it turns out, it totally manages to hold up the pace of its predecessor and contains a couple of important things happening. I was extremely looking forward to see how things will be after Ned's and Jaime's fight and it already began in a superb way when Ned awoke with a furious Cersei and a King Robert who has finally calmed down after his uproar in "The Wolf and the Lion" standing in his room. The episode didn't get any worse after that, but I'd say it was already one of the best moments.

The continuation of the storyline of Catelyn and Tyrion proved to be hilarious with once again, a marvelous monologue by Peter Dinklage and great performances by all other actors involved. The sword fighting in this episode was too really well-made and the fight scene in which we first meet Bronn was incredibly cool.

Ned's discovery in this episode was great as well and really blew my mind because I'm completely unaware of the plot of this series. Sean Bean continually improves in his role and is amazing when he gets to be the regent while reminding the audience that he is clearly the most likable character on this show. It was also really nice to see Isaac Hempstead Wright doing something again and I think it's really interesting how Theon Greyjoy gets more and more important.

Clearly the best part about "A Golden Crown" is the story part of Viserys, Daenerys, and the Dothrakis who return to the screen after their short absence in the previous episode. There are some major things happening with those characters and we really get to see how the characters progress - all of this is staged perfectly and has a really dark and captivating look to it since all of their scenes are set indoors. The final scene of this episode may just be the best Game of Thrones moment yet and I was so freaked out because of how fantastic this was.

I'm completely intrigued in the plot (except for the one at the Night's Watch. Seriously, I didn't miss Jon Snow and all his colleagues at all in this and the last episode - I almost forgot that those characters existed when I was watching these two awesome episodes) and technically, it's extremely well-made. But I can't help myself but to think that Game of Thrones still has a tad more potential to it than it shows us at the moment with supernatural stuff and really big fight scenes still stashed away from the audiences. I'm hoping that the season finale will provide me with the scenes I expect and for now I just stay with loving all the amazing characters and visuals.

Probably The Best Episode So Far.

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
4 September 2014

In this sixth episode we don't see the Wall for another episode.

What we do get is we get another good scene with Robb Stark (Richard Madden) and Theon Greyjoy (Alfie Allen). And we finally see what Robb can do in combat. We also get to see Arya with her "dancing master" Syrio Forel again and she learns a valuable lesson. Maisie Williams and Miltos Yerolemou are, once again, fabulous together. Ser Jorah and Viserys share a good scene too and Viserys comes across, for just a moment, as sympathetic. Just for a moment. And we see Ned make a shocking discovery.

My favourite scene of the season so far was Tyrions confession, who didn't want to know the end to Tyrion's story about taking a mule and a honeycomb into a brothel??

Tyrion played to perfection by Peter Dinklage and Arya played by Maisie Williams and dare I say it, noble Ned Stark played by Sean Bean (who I stated in an earlier review, I'm not a fan of him or any of his work) are easily my favourite characters so far.

I need to give special mention to Jerome Flynn, who's character still does not have a name on the show (but IMDb says is Bronn) who I'm really enjoying too.

One scene that puzzled me, was Joffrey's sudden apology to Sansa, 3 episodes after we saw Cersei advising her son to do just that. Why now?? We do get to see just how naive Sansa (Sophie Turner) is. Turner plays the scene very well going from being rude to her Septa Mordane (a superb Susan Brown) to smitten the minute Joffery arrives.

All I can think of, is it tied to a scene following shortly where Eddard announced he was sending the girls back to Winterfell, and Sansa's pleas to stay, she may have been happy to leave had Joffery not apologised. There is a nice moment in that scene that is just a look between Sean Bean and Maisie Williams as Sansa says "I don't want someone brave, handsome and strong... I want Joffery" it really showed the chemistry between the two.

Possibly the best episode so far!

Entertaining parallel stories revolving around a wonderful and dark Daenerys but sharp editing and greedy writing

Author: igoatabase from France
23 May 2011

The previous installment Stark versus Lannister driven story was thrilling but it had a drawback. Indeed it revealed one flaw of the show, its editing. I just found the numerous switches between arcs a little annoying because the transitions weren't smooth enough. Compared to Lost's season 6 for example it lacked some creativity, original ideas to link them instead of sharp cuts. I love Arya and her dancing session in Lord Snow was fantastic but here it felt slightly misplaced or at least not well staged. It's probably the issue when dealing with so many parallel stories, they just can't be all properly covered in one single episode. In my opinion their mistake was to even tell the anecdotic ones like the prostitute flying away or the king hunting. Of course their purpose was to feed the more important ones but I can't help thinking that they should have better arranged them. Or maybe I was just disappointed that it wasn't a special Daenerys installment. I mean she's such a fascinating and ambivalent character ! The Queen of Dothraki literally stole the screen and her few scenes were both shocking and intriguing. One reference that stroke my mind ? Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom ! Yes because Lady Stark, her strange sister and the dwarf were back too. The dungeon is apparently full of surprises and as a roleplayer I'm already dreaming of giant dragons and wicked pitfalls ! If only the show's format was more elegant, like in Fringe's season 3 for instance. Still it didn't change the fact that most story arcs, because I was a bit disappointed by Ned's one, were excellent. As for the ending it confirmed again that Game of Thrones is not for the faint of heart. Long live the King !