IMDb > "The Secret Circle" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Secret Circle"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Secret Circle" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Canceled?????? NOOOOOOOoooo!!!!

Author: fungbroz from Charlotte, North Carolina United States
10 June 2012

My partner and I so looked forward to Thursdays @ 9 so we could watch one of our Fave shows, Secret Circle!!!!.....I soo Hate learning it has been canceled.....

Please, I implore you, please give it some consideration and hopefully u guys will bring it back.....

I liked this show much better than all the "here's a vampire, there's a vampire" on just about every show u watch these days....

I really enjoyed watching the young witches doin' their thing....

Please bring Secret Circle back to the CW....I love your Supernatural show but it's no Secret Circle..

The Secret Circle is a must-see!

Author: Shivi Silva
23 December 2011

The Secret Circle is definitely a show that is worth your time. Don't judge it just because the central characters are teenagers, it doesn't only focus on them. Any adult who is into genre shows such as this, will find just as much enjoyment out of this show as anyone else. It has a promising Pilot that offers massive potential for the show, and trust me when I say this, the show does take advantage of that potential and is developing into quite an addictive and fun new TV series. The farther you get into it, the better it gets and the more compelling the characters and story become. Once you get passed the first three episodes, the fourth episode, "Heather" is really when the show catches its footing. It becomes darker, more mysterious, the pacing becomes faster and the show itself begins to develop into a really great series of its own.

The Secret Circle is a show where you can't make assumptions and think you're right, because the writers will end up spinning that assumption and giving you the unexpected. The show is compelling, it has a dark theme, plot-twists, there is mystery, romance, action, drama, horror, and of course the paranormal/supernatural elements of witches and magic.

Like I said, The Secret Circle is a must-see! After all, it isn't an official People's Choice Award nominee for nothing.

Surprisingly Good!

Author: rkmacpherson from United States
17 September 2011

Not my normal television genre, my sister raved about Vampire Diaries and mentioned this show was from the same showrunner and from the same author's works, so I gave it a shot. Initially, I only knew about Britt Robertson, but I was delighted to see some stellar newcomers and veterans.

The show looks promising. It doesn't seem afraid to go dark when necessary, nor does it appear to rush into anything. The stars are agreeably pretty, but Thomas Dekker and Robertson seem able to anchor the youngsters. Thrilled to see Natasha Henstridge and can't wait to see what's in store for her.

If the show doesn't embrace the camp, if it goes for a fairly realistic portrayal of teenagers (unlike, say, Twilight), this could be a lot of fun to watch. Fingers crossed!

Definitely one to check out

Author: skider from United States
25 September 2011

Great show - It keeps you interested, has a great story so far and definitely looks like it will be around for a while. I used to be a Smallville fan and I've just been searching for something that had some of that superpower supernatural stuff in it. This has delivered so far - I'm diggin it.

It's not dramatic just to be dramatic.. like some other CW shows - but this actually has meaning behind it since it's an interesting plot. The only potential downfall would be that they screw up the story, right now I say they have the right cast, they have the right crew, and they have the right writers.. but I've definitely seen it happen before.. the writing eventually takes a downfall..

For now. They're doing it well. So If you're into some sci-fi, some drama, and a hot lead who can act..

Watch it.

Save the secret circle because its amazing :)

Author: Jordan Butler from Australia
19 May 2012

The Secret Circle is an amazing television show and myself and many people enjoy it ! Worst thing is it has been canceled and so much was opened up on the finale of season 1 which will now never be complete :( not to mention the books were only a slight guide so they wont answer the questions of what happens either. SIGN THIS PETITION TO RENEW TSC FOR A SEASON 2 :) The petition can be found on change.org, just search the secret circle in the search bar and it is the first petition to appear. Don't let this amazing show that actually has a great plot and great characters go to waste leaving behind shows which actually have not good content. The secret circle is one of a kind, so save it !

Doesn't deserve full 8

Author: Haris Krupalija from Sarajevo, Bosnia
7 October 2011

I'll just put this in pros and cons since there's no really point writing 1000 words review for the show that barely started.

+ 1. Plot seems interesting 2. Chicks are hot 3. I love places of shooting (whole town really) 4. I love dark breeze of it 5. Acting is quite a good but it could be improved 6. Solid character development - 1. Lines are sometimes cheesy and really stupid 2. Sometimes nothing makes sense at all 3. Special effects seems really bad made 4. Whole concept of witchcraft is messed up and pretty much old story

Show has potential but it really needs to work up if it wants to achieve anything. They need to create something new, to write better lines, to actually create better chemistry between characters, to remove stupid 10s looks and a lots of other small things. So far the show is good; the rating does justice to it. Solid 7.5/6 show that has potential to rise to 8 if played well.

The Secret Circle: Did Somebody Say WITCH?

Author: shatteredrifle from Philippines
18 September 2011

The Secret Circle follows Cassie Blake (Britt Robertson), the new girl in the town of Chance Harbor. Now living with her grandmother (Ashley Crow) due to the sudden death of her mom, she wonders why there are a lot of strange things happening around her. When 5 school kids take her to an isolated place in the woods, they explain that she is a witch, a revelation that leads to more questions than answers.

While watching the pilot episode, I understood why the show was able to break opening records in the CW network. The Secret Circle is a nice blend of supernatural drama and suspense, a formula that works given the Vampire Diaries' immense success. The characters are interesting enough to care about; the kids are central to the plot but the activities of the grown-ups get your attention as well.

When you have a new show, the one thing you absolutely need to do is get your audience hooked. The Secret Circle is able to do this well. Although nothing that will change your life happens in the premiere (a burning vehicle, magic-induced rain and a person drowning without even swimming) and at times it becomes slow in pace, the events put in place are exciting incentives for you to catch the next episode. Like Cassie, you would like to know what is really going on.

The show's presentation of magical powers is also refreshing. From my understanding, a witch needs to channel the energy inside her and concentrate so that she can alter the environment. Like in most things, there is strength in numbers. It's not as simple as a point-and-shoot type of ability but not as complicated as bloodletting (well, at least not yet). Even with a fantasy show, things have to remain grounded in reality to make it more believable. In terms of special effects, I am not yet completely sold. The forest scene was beautiful to look at but I think the storm could have been handled much better.

Britt Robertson is no stranger to this type of role, having starred in the CW's short-lived show Life Unexpected. She has this quality about her that makes her a strong female lead. Delicate and fierce at the same time, Cassie Blake is one girl you should not mess with. Thomas Dekker will be bringing fans from his previous shows Heroes and Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles. Given his experience in playing various teen characters, his portrayal of Adam won't be a problem. Among all the kids, I like Faye (Phoebe Tonkin) the most. She's the type of bad girl you can't help but root for. I hope she is given more story and background in the succeeding episodes. With veteran actress Natasha Henstridge rounding up the cast, The Secret Circle is looking pretty solid acting-wise.

I realize now that the Secret Circle reminds me of Marvel Comics' The Runaways. The kids are on a path of self-discovery through their little group while the adults have their own plans for them. At the core, this show tackles being independent, growing up with these gifts, learning to control them, and dealing with the consequences of their actions.

The Secret Circle is obviously targeted towards a young audience so it is almost certain that usual elements of teen romance and anxiety will be present. However, with witchcraft being at the center of it all, it will be enough to keep older viewers interested. Besides, I don't think there's enough of a cheese atmosphere here to repel a wider audience. If magic is your cup of tea, look no further. If not, then I advise you to still stick around. After all, the pilot gives enough to wet the appetite. When witches are involved, you just don't know what's going to happen next.

The Secret Circle

Author: koufetina
9 November 2011

It's a good one. It is one of these shows you wanna watch while you are drinking a cup of coffee and enjoying some time on your own.

The plot is really interesting, it catches your attention from the very first episode.

The basic characters are many and different from one an other and you can't pick a favorite. They are all really good.

Each episode is thrilling and like all TV-shows the ending of each one is breath-taking, so you can't wait to see what will happen next.

So, if you are into teen drama combined with supernatural abilities, this is your show.

Pretty good and has potential

Author: lizwilder_1234 from England
16 October 2011

The show started off quite simple and the story line was obviously just getting started, but after the first few episodes it's developed and now i can see that the show is going to get a lot better in time. I haven't read the books, but i know some things have changed (kind of like they did with The Vampire Diaries, making elena's character the opposite of who she is, bringing in new- non-existent character's and getting rid of some and changing loads of aspects of the story), but i can't help thinking they do this to make it more TV friendly. They do it to stretch it out and make it last longer, put their own twists and spins, making you're more eager to see the next episode to see if what you know should happen, does. I can say that The Secret Circle is a good show, it needs work, some of the actors aren't that great and are obviously just starting out. The thing that drew me to TSC was Phoebe Tonkins, the Australian actor from H2O: Just add water, and she is a brilliant part of the show. I love her character, she's full of surprises and she's a brilliant actor too. Cassie also shines a light on the show as well, i had seen her in 'life unexpected' and thought she was great in that. But anyway, the story line is developing so their's no point in shunning it until it's a good way into the series, and i just overall think it's pretty good.

Not exactly what I expected...but not bad.

Author: srtemplin from United States
21 September 2011

I had high hopes for this series. I read the books when they were first published and I was in high school. They became some of my favorites and I read and re-read them many times. That being said, this show bares a very small resemblance to the books.

I expected the updating (cell phones, music, etc.), but much of the story has been changed. The premise (young girl moves to a new town and discovers that she is a witch and part of a coven of teenage witches whose power is growing and vulnerable) is the same. However, there is a lot more that is different than I expected. If you want to avoid spoilers, read no further, and know that if you have read the books, this show is very different.

Instead of New England, it is set in western Washington. Not that I have anything against this, I happen to live in a small WA island town myself, but much of the original story hinges around the historical treatment of witches (especially the ancestors of the main characters) and how it impacts the secrecy they live with.

Also, many of the characters are not in the show. This may be done in order to keep the mystery, but those who are fans of the Vampire Diaries (show and books), the Secret Circle doesn't seem to follow the books as closely in characters as the Vampire Diaries does. In the books, the coven is 12 young witches. In fact, Cassie's spot originally belonged to the younger sibling of two of the other members of the coven, but she is murdered to make room for Cassie (not by Cassie BTW). Much of this story line is left out of the show.

All of this aside, it is a fun teenage drama. I am a little leery of the Twilight-esque genre, but this one didn't quite seem as bad. Cassie is a much more sympathetic character (in my mind) than Bella is. Brit does a good job of portraying a young girl with power who has been thrown in the deep end of the pool and is doing her best to swim with the sharks.

I will keep watching to see where it goes. My advice is to watch the show with fresh eyes and pretend that you don't have any preconceptions about what the story is about or where it will go. Like I said, I loved these books as a teen and I hope that others will like the books and show as well.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]