IMDb > "Revenge" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Revenge"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Revenge" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Finally! A show worth watching!

Author: SirBH from United States
3 November 2011

I rarely watch any TV drama shows except law and order: SVU because I find most of them very boring. I don't remember seeing any commercials or any episodes on television but I came across this on Hulu and immediately became a big fan. I think the characters are all well played especially Emily and they aren't cut and dry. The plot is very engaging and interesting with some nice twists. And if you think that the series will be short because there aren't many characters to get revenge on, I disagree because they have plenty of good material and new characters are added. I really like revenge movies and it is refreshing to see a show built on revenge and everything else that happens from trying to get it. This has become my new favorite show. I highly recommend this show especially if you like revenge or spy movies.

Fab Fab Fab

Author: bill-395-991909 from United Kingdom
13 June 2012

I'm in London and the first series has just started airing. Loved it from the start, just watched episode 3 and totally hooked. Madeleine Stowe makes a fantastic bitch, controlling , glamorous – not since Joan Collins in Dynasty have we have such a character and she looks great And where did they find Emilly VanCamp, she is brilliant, cool, together and sexy..so sexy. It gives a real feel for the Hamptons and the people who live there - from the super rich, to the guys who work the bar. I like they way the story is told in lots of flashbacks. Pleased they have done another series, but at the moment just enjoying the first, and 19 more episodes to watch.

Is jack getting on anybody else's nerves?

Author: carmenblack8 from United States
9 October 2013

When he told Emily finish by the end of summer or he's gonna tell everyone i just wanted to punch him in the face.

His character is so annoying OMG.

I hope the writers don't still think we want her with jack heck no.

And hes mad Amanda died but she chose to stay there Emily tried to pay her off she's not as innocent as he thinks.

I feel bad for him and the baby but can't they right his character off and let him n his kid move.

Like let EMily be n do her revenge.

tell me what you think

all opinions welcomed

thanks

"Revenge: The Complete First Season" shows off complex must-see TV show

Author: ersinkdotcom from United States
12 September 2012

I review movies, comics, and work at a movie and music store. This leaves very little time for me to spend watching senseless television like reality series (except "Gene Simmons Family Jewels"), court room dramas, detective thrillers, and mindless sitcoms. I must choose carefully what I devote precious hours of my life to. ABC's "Revenge" is high on my must-see list every week when it's in season.

Emily Thorne (Emily VanCamp) returns to the Hamptons after spending several years in juvenile detention. As soon as she arrives, Emily sets out on a mission to exact sweet revenge on those who tore her family apart. She'll stop at nothing to expose the people who framed her father for a crime he didn't commit. Her biggest target is the powerfully rich queen of the Hamptons, Victoria Grayson (Madeleine Stowe) and her husband (Henry Czerny).

"Revenge" is one of those shows you watch and when it's over groan and wish it could be two longer. I can never get enough of it. Just when you think you have something figured out writers go and change all the rules of the game again.

The best way to describe the show is as "The Punisher" meets "La Femme Nikita." Emily Thorne isn't a government agent, but she's just as resourceful and ingenious. After the first episode, you find yourself wiping the sweat off your forehead in relief that you'll never have a chance to cross her. She wants retribution for the death of her father. Anyone who was involved is going to suffer horribly.

9 to 7 to 5 along the seasons

Author: murtaza_kzl from Pakistan
23 May 2014

I am on the beginning of the third season.. As many reviewers have already mentioned that the show started brilliantly but it has lost it's spark. We do not want Emily to take down a person involved in the incident in each episode but it would be better if the revenge actually had a logical path. Season 1 was just perfect, nothing wrong with it but then season 2 provided us with nothing new at all. Few episodes can be actually skipped and it won't matter to the plot at all. What is it with introducing new characters that are too lame to stick anyway. Whenever such a stupid character is introduced i check IMDb whether the character would stay long or it is just a guest appearance and to my relief it is temporary but then why introduce it in the first place. Season 2 was not that attractive but i won't eliminate it from the current watching list. I have a bad habit of sticking to shows that lose their touch like vampire diaries and supernatural but i don't think i will continue revenge if season 4 turns out to be disappointing. However as per ratings of each episode i must stay that season 3 has some good ones towards the end so i have my fingers crossed... The show must have an end date and a properly planned end rather than being canceled and then preparing a hasty end which is always crappy.. The entire cast is brilliant and they have build the characters well so that you can empathize from each of their point of view but it needs more story and not the same twist and turns to keep the interest alive..

A compelling saga of intrigue and often good dialogue

Author: simondclinch-1 from United Kingdom
29 April 2014

There is a lot I like about this series. In the first place it doesn't indulge in unrealistic sci-fi or fantasy apart from some hacking that is achieved too quickly - e.g. one or two keystrokes from idea to done. If only it were that simple! In addition, Victoria's detection of goings on at the beach house seem unreasonably selective given that it is literally under her nose. Nevertheless it is still fundamentally a good plot with good dialogue and acting.

A review in The Guardian seemed to condemn the second series as not being up to the first in terms of plot. I disagree and find that the second series explores the terrain logically that was not uncovered in the first series and builds up the suspense just as compellingly.

Revenge

Author: emilyjmccann from United Kingdom
3 January 2014

Shows exactly was it says on the title. Vengeful Emily (aka. Amanda) wants to get revenge on the people who framed her father, David Clarke.

The concept of her situation is quite confusing since new information start to appear within the episodes and each one of them is gripping and exciting. Since I live in the UK, series 3 doesn't begin until Monday 6th January and I have heard some of the story lines and I am very excited.

Series 1, outstanding and gob smacking. I am so glad Tyler got killed off, but then again I wasn't, I find it interesting how there are always characters scheming against Emily so there is always an obstacle for her to face, usually she kills them and it's clear she is the person you don't want to mess with.

Series 2, still outstanding and gob smacking in a different way. I never expect what is going to happen and this time poor Declan, Jack's younger brother and Charlotte's lover dies after an explosion. At least he said bye to them but it is still heartbreaking for Jack as you feel more sorry for him after he lost 'Amanda' his wife and now his brother.

Hopefully series 3 will bring more brilliant story lines and maybe a couple of more series after that since her revenge is taking far too long with about 20 episodes in each season. And I wish not to see anymore of Aiden, he annoys me and just seems like the sub story that has ended - he may love Emily/Amanda but it doesn't seem like their relationship is going to last because he comes across to aggressive and I believe he could be a game changer, he seem's to sly for my liking even though the majority of the characters in Revenge are sly because they can't trust anyone so they want to get revenge on the people they hate.

I recommended this, it's a must see but watch it from the beginning otherwise it would be confusing to understand the concept.

Great Premise, Little Resolution

Author: joseph-lapolla from Denver, Colorado
29 December 2013

My wife and I started watching this show about two weeks ago, and as Netflix/Hulu Plus allows, we became addicted quickly and binge watched. That said, we are through the first two episodes of Season 3 and I am wondering whether I should even continue.

SPOILERS...

Season 1 was pretty fantastic and the storyline is intriguing. The evils carried out by the wealthy, all-powerful Graysons make viewers anticipate their demise. Emily and Nolan are very calculating and make a great combination, though Emily is somewhat reluctant to recognize that she would be extremely unsuccessful without Nolan. However, 22 episodes of a 42 minute show is TOO LONG for one season. We endured and enjoyed it - Season 1 = 9/10.

Season 2, it was only a matter of time before Victoria reappeared, as it was seemingly obvious in our minds that the show could not go on without her. We didn't have to finish the first episode without her being found alive, which was a welcome sight. And then...season 2...just seemed like the writers not so subtly created numerous subplots to make the show go on. The drug dealers trying to take over the Stoaway? Really? Too many new characters that we couldn't care less about, and it lasts another painfully long 22 episodes. Season 2 = 3/10.

I loved Dexter (haven't seen final season) and Breaking Bad. This show originally reminded me of those. However, I can't help but remember that each season in those other shows had a main antagonist that was "resolved" by season end. Revenge is about the Graysons but nothing ever happens. I want to see the end, but I fear that may be 2 or 3 seasons away. It's a great story but it's not made to last this long...

Sweet revenge turned sour

Author: B. W. from USA, Germany
10 December 2013

"Revenge" is dramatic, opulent, twisty, well-scored and filled with characters you love to hate. The first season was filled with tension, mystery, suspense, good character development, surprises and enough story to make you interested in what was going to happen to these characters next.

Then, through season 2, the twists and turns took you on a roller coaster ride that evoked the laughs and screams you get from one in an amusement park more than the intense intelligent journey you get from well-written drama. In other words, suddenly everything seemed ludicrous – the villainy, the action and re-actions of many characters.

It seems it doesn't matter how many evil people have been killed off already in two seasons, there are always more devious scoundrels brought in to take their place. But, hey, the so- called "good guys" are as deceitful as the rest of the lot. You can play only so many tricks on an audience before the viewers say, "Sorry, that just doesn't work anymore." The plot has turned farcical, ridiculous, preposterous, and absurd (if you think I'm being repetitive, that's the point), so that one is no longer willing to go along with the inane plot development. Nor does one care anymore what happens to the characters. No character trusts any other, and now that the writers have killed off some of our favorite (and in some cases likable) people, we viewers no longer have enough trust to get too deeply involved with anyone.

Maybe it's a "guilty pleasure" for many viewers (ratings have been quite high) – maybe it will become a cult classic – and maybe some viewers who loved the first season are not yet willing to give up on it. As for me, I'm done: I give season 1 the highest rating, but season 2, in spite of its good looks, is nonsensical comic soap-opera sci-fi.

Season One Had a Perfect Bittersweet Ending

Author: degrassi95 from Canada
20 May 2013

And that's where the series should have ended . Season one was great and I get the feeling that the writers thought that it might end there. But it appears that the network thought they could, for the sake of profit, squeeze a few more episodes out of the series and that's where things got complicated and confusing. I'm sure some viewers would have screamed if the series would have just been canceled at the end of season one, but in this case (except for the actor's continued employment) the ending episode of season one would have been a fitting (and even quite moral) spot to end things. (My rating is only for season

Page 6 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]