IMDb > "Revenge" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Revenge"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Revenge" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Fantastic Guilty Pleasure

Author: Nastasha from Canada
5 March 2012

I am always on the lookout for a series that has something new to offer, but is still a character driven show. Most reviewers have covered all the points I had intended to, except that one of the things I love about this show is how Victoria, the woman Emily wants to hurt the most, is so redeemable and that only through the pain of the same treachery Emily wants to avenge, has Victoria become such an ice-cold bitch.

It's interesting how Emily at times has the shades of who Victoria has become. Behind both their smiles hides manipulation and devious intentions. Neither of them ever stop to plot and will stop at nothing to achieve what they want. Although it's worth noting that between the two of them, it is Emily who will go farther; Victoria draws the line at her children.

The supporting characters are also very well written. Everyone feels three dimensional. The heroes are perfectly flawed and the villains are not stock characters. Good show. I'm interested to see how the writers will keep this from getting old. So far they've got me hooked.

9 to 7 to 5 along the seasons

Author: murtaza_kzl from Pakistan
23 May 2014

I am on the beginning of the third season.. As many reviewers have already mentioned that the show started brilliantly but it has lost it's spark. We do not want Emily to take down a person involved in the incident in each episode but it would be better if the revenge actually had a logical path. Season 1 was just perfect, nothing wrong with it but then season 2 provided us with nothing new at all. Few episodes can be actually skipped and it won't matter to the plot at all. What is it with introducing new characters that are too lame to stick anyway. Whenever such a stupid character is introduced i check IMDb whether the character would stay long or it is just a guest appearance and to my relief it is temporary but then why introduce it in the first place. Season 2 was not that attractive but i won't eliminate it from the current watching list. I have a bad habit of sticking to shows that lose their touch like vampire diaries and supernatural but i don't think i will continue revenge if season 4 turns out to be disappointing. However as per ratings of each episode i must stay that season 3 has some good ones towards the end so i have my fingers crossed... The show must have an end date and a properly planned end rather than being canceled and then preparing a hasty end which is always crappy.. The entire cast is brilliant and they have build the characters well so that you can empathize from each of their point of view but it needs more story and not the same twist and turns to keep the interest alive..

what an amazing show . the best that came out of Hollywood in the last ten years !!!!!!!!!!

Author: tarekofsyria from United Arab Emirates
30 December 2011

Being a fan of Madeline Stowe , the good roles she played in the 80s and 90s , and the fact that she was nominated for the golden globe for this series are the reasons why i wanted to follow this show . revenge is a really fun thrilling ride . first i would like to mention that the cast have done a great job ,Henry Czerny and Emily van camp are very convincing . Ashton Holmes added more drama and flavor to the revenge theme and of course Stowe has definitely portrayed Victoria in the greatest way possible . also the great setting of the show adds the element of class .the story takes place in the Hampton's , very chic very Dallas and falcon crest if you still remember these shows in the 80s . the plot is deep and and unpredictable . it gets thicker and thicker leaving the viewer wanting more and inpatient to know what will happen next . the director has achieved a great deal by making this series in a time when people got tired of the clichéd police thrillers where someone is killed and we wonder who did it . this show is much more meaningful than that, it touches deep matters . i recommend revenge to anyone who is looking forward to watching a class act with an original plot and a great cast that will keep you insatiable . i really hope Stowe will win for this one .

Wonderfully Dark New Series

Author: Jason Daniel Baker from Toronto, Canada
14 October 2011

Amanda (Vancamp) whose life was destroyed when she was a little girl by a conspiracy of evil rich creeps in Southampton, New York returns 15 years later to exact a bold and elaborate revenge plot with a long list of people she intends to get even with.

She comes in the guise of Emily Thorne, wealthy débutante with all the right connections and personal holdings which rival those of her enemies none of whom suspect who she really is and why she is there.

Adopting disguises and employing illegal methods of stealth she undermines each and everyone she believes has wronged her.

But she is also haunted by personal feelings of the life she might have if she could just forget what was done to her and her father. This includes a romance with a local bar owner that began as crush when they were children before the calamity which saw her father framed for a crime he did not commit.

Canadian viewers will notice several Canadians in the cast - most notably Port Perry & Montreal's Vancamp, Toronto's Czerny and Halifax's Tupper.

We love to see our homegrown talent do well.

Look under the cheese.

Author: Paul Creeden from Boston, MA, USA
20 November 2014

Netflix has led me to a trough of cheesy fluff from which I never thought I'd ever snack. Truth is: I have binged on this series. I have to say the production values have a lot to do with it. I watched it on a big HDTV. I also watched it without commercials. It would be unbearable with commercial breaks on a small screen.

From Victoria Grayson's progressive face work to the overblown art direction to the hunks galore...this fluff is visually riveting on a big screen. Under the superficial cheesiness, there is an ageless class-struggle story. Granted, the 'impoverished' folks in this show are much better off than the legions of homeless who grace most American cities.

The acting is pretty good. The plots are often filled with plausibility holes. The vicious predatory attitudes of the rich is accurately portrayed, surprisingly well for U.S. major network TV. The lack of educated sophistication among these predators is also accurately portrayed. The mega-rich struggling with the working classes will never escape my interest. Good to see it put out there to a general audience and greeted with popularity.

Good season one, season two: lost its way.

Author: Dave Andrews from United States
21 September 2014

Well I've watched all three season so far and I have to say that the first season has been the best so far. It started with a real good idea about an attractive girl getting revenge on the people that wronged her father. Just like the show "Arrow" (2012) where the lead character is crossing names of a book his father gave him, Emily is trying to ruin the people that ruined her father. Season two basically devolved into a night-time soap (with better acting) based around the trials and tribulations of the residents of "The Hamptons" (Montauk, New York to be more precise). Season three gets a little better but still has that soap feel to it. I've read some comments stating that the show is getting too complicated or confusing but I don't agree, It is a show you have to pay attention to if you want to get it but it's not that hard unless the viewer is the kind that needs their shows to be spoon-fed to them. The show really should have Emily kick more butt and Charlotte needs too stop behaving like a thirteen year old.

Great show with great casts!

Author: Dewi Nandita Istiqomah from Indonesia
9 July 2014

I started watching this show when i saw it on HBO. Then i kept watching it 'til now!

This is such a great show, with great cast. Emily VanCamp showed excellent acting, her gesture, expressions, really get along with the stories. Gabriel Mann is a match to her with his jokes, though their gap ages are a 'lil bit far. Victoria is a great actress too, with her "mad- face" and "watch-me" style. But its a shame, in season 2 they got a little messed up with the Initiative, it made me confused.

Still got me wanting more and more after the episode ended. I am still waiting for the season 4. Keep up the good work, Revenge!

Wish we had more shows in a week

Author: Pratima Bhatt
16 October 2012

Fair and innocent-looking Emily aka Amanda is back for revenge and wont stop until she gets it. The actors play their parts beautifully and each character gets fair screen time ,so you see them develop (and go down) well. Although the show is based on something negative-revenge-it is very delightful to watch and is pretty addictive,many will agree. Whoever said it cannot be one man (woman,in this case) against the world,go watch revenge!You'll be surprised and shocked too. And the tag line , ' what goes around,comes around' , fits the plot perfectly. Only, whatever has gone around ,comes back tenfold! It's smart and fast-paced and worthy entertainment as opposed to the mindless entertainment so many shows provide. Try not to miss it.

get ready to OD- ON THIS SHOW!

Author: lukem1997-294-127791 from Ireland
27 June 2012

I watched this show thinking it would be just OK- well now I realize I was very wrong. this show is a work of art. the actors are brilliant, the stories are shocking and true to life, and best of all the characters are the best around. watching them develop from small minor characters to full blown antagonists to Emily was very enjoyable. I've never enjoyed a TV show as much as I enjoyed this show and I finished the entire series in 3 days! my favorite character in the show had to be Victoria. She's one of the main antagonists in the show but given that Madeleine Stowe was the only actress that was nominated for a Golden Globe for her role as Victoria just shows that viewers of Revenge agree with me that Victoria is the best character in the show.

It's time for Revenge

Author: vdk-43435
23 March 2015

Wherever the story goes, this will be my final season of Revenge. Which started of as a great show, degraded to ... days of our life !!

It becomes difficult to digest that something so good turned into a day time soap. The story line is gone and even the new "cast" member look and sound like they walk straight from the set of "as the world turns".

There are 4 episodes left in this season. I hope they pick up the pieces from the editing floor, so they can bring it to an end. Season 1 was excellent. Season 2 can be considered as a missed opportunity, by not giving it proper ending. Season 3 was challenging to keep my attention span. Season 4 is an embarrassment! Let's do us all a favor and free up the time slot for something new and exciting.

Page 5 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]