IMDb > "Revenge" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Revenge"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Revenge" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Good performance but lacks plot

Author: saifmohammed from India
14 September 2013

I thought from the start it was going to be a great show; the cast is great, performance, but it lacks story. It is uselessly stretching the plot. I seriously can't understand even though having all proofs the protagonist is delaying her revenge and even stopping others to do so.Like the takeover of Nolcorp was totally unnecessary also when Amanda died and Emily threw the laptop containing all proofs against the Graysons and said that now her head is clear and she is deemed to destroy Conrad and Victoria and that she deviated from her path and now she does not require any proofs implying that she is going to kill them but doesn't. It circles around meaningless sub-stories and hangs the second season towards the end for more. I hope the third season should be its last.

Some watchable characters, though far from brilliant

Author: lenvm from United States
25 August 2013

The basic idea here of adapting the Count of Monte Cristo should make for compelling TV. Unfortunately, the result is mixed.

The big problem is the main character. She just isn't interesting enough to win our sympathy. It may be that the actor who plays Emily isn't up to the challenge, but the writing fails her, too. Don't get me started on Jack and Declan, who walked right off the set of Melrose Place.

Two characters make the show worth watching: Madeleine Stowe as the eeeeeeevil Victoria and Gabriel Mann as the delightful Nolan, who has the complex character Emily lacks. Why Nolan helps Emily despite her abusive treatment of him is not sufficiently explained.

Despite my gleeful response to Victoria, it must be admitted that, at the most basic level, the show promotes a lie about the 1%, which is that they work really hard to be evil. In reality, the evil that the extremely wealthy do is far more banal, and generally within the bounds of legality, since the laws exist to protect them. The show perpetuates a fantasy about social class which is essentially wrong.

Wow.

Author: missydizzy23
31 October 2012

This show is absolutely amazing. From the trailer of this show, I had many second thoughts as to whether I should watch it or not...but once I started I just couldn't stop! This show is just so good. There is so much drama in this show and can get complicated at times but it doesn't stop my addiction to it! Emily Thorne is the main character of the show and she is trying to plot revenge on the family that framed her father for a terrorist attack. Her tactical skills are just mind blowing. Not only is she absolutely stunning, but her character never fails...she is very smart. She will do things that you yourself have never thought of. She has the ability to do absolutely anything. I know I am talking a lot about her but she is what ties the entire show together. All the other characters also play a big role in the show as you will see once you watch it with the powerful Victoria and charming Daniel. I recommend anyone to watch this show! You will not be disappointed!

Amazing Show

Author: Johanna Rude from United States
10 May 2012

I've always loved the movie Kill Bill but not in my wildest dreams I could have hoped for a show that would represent the same quality and emotion the movie showed. A good revenge story has always been popular no matter if it was Uma Thurman, Liam Neeson, Harrison Ford or Mel Gibson revenging their family. Revenge is a unique show in that it always gives you enough to keep loving and rooting for your favorite characters but at the same time leaves you wanting more. It is not necessarily because of affected cliffhangers but simply the storyline that makes you want to learn more and know what the future brings. Emily Thorne as the main character seems to be clever, smart, competent and amazingly diligent when it comes to revenging her father. She also shows a purity and innocence as a small child and you get to see the transition of her going from a place of happiness to a place of grief and loss. Even if you have a strong moral code you keep hoping Emily will get her dark revenge on every one in the Grayson family. Her background and history of loss, grief and lost childhood makes you hope she will make everyone pay who was responsible. I am always impressed whenever I find a show that gives you enough answers and solutions to be satisfied while at the same time keep you wanting so much more simply because the storyline is so rich. The Writers have obviously done a phenomenal job in a way that you recognize quality, intelligence and suspense in each written episode. If you love stories of suspense, hope, revelation and rich diverse characters, you will love this show. Emily Thorne is an amazing heroine that displays so many shades of gray that will leave you wondering what it is that makes you root for her and what it is that you would do in the same situation. In my opinion, this is one of the best shows around since the 90s. It has everything you could ever want and more. Plus, from what I read from the Writers and Producers of the show, they actually care about the fan base and their hopes for the characters and the storyline. Mike Kelley has done a fabulous job and even though I truthfully have never heard of him before, I believe he skillfully created a new masterpiece of TV show with Revenge. Give it a try and you will be in awe.

Fantastic Guilty Pleasure

Author: Nastasha from Canada
5 March 2012

I am always on the lookout for a series that has something new to offer, but is still a character driven show. Most reviewers have covered all the points I had intended to, except that one of the things I love about this show is how Victoria, the woman Emily wants to hurt the most, is so redeemable and that only through the pain of the same treachery Emily wants to avenge, has Victoria become such an ice-cold bitch.

It's interesting how Emily at times has the shades of who Victoria has become. Behind both their smiles hides manipulation and devious intentions. Neither of them ever stop to plot and will stop at nothing to achieve what they want. Although it's worth noting that between the two of them, it is Emily who will go farther; Victoria draws the line at her children.

The supporting characters are also very well written. Everyone feels three dimensional. The heroes are perfectly flawed and the villains are not stock characters. Good show. I'm interested to see how the writers will keep this from getting old. So far they've got me hooked.

Great story - my favorite show of the season

Author: phd_travel from United States
31 December 2011

Finally there is a good television drama that isn't about gruesome crime solving or vampires, or werewolves and isn't just meant for teenage girls or crime obsessed adults. The story draws inspiration from the classic "Count of Monte Cristo" and is cleverly updated to the world of the Hamptons and hedge funds. The main character Emily returns to the Hamptons to take revenge on those who framed her father. There is genuine emotional tension and true excitement each episode. The scenes are well written and are inventive and satisfying to watch. The best thing about the writing is how it makes you care for most of the characters good or bad and when they are doing bad things you want them to get away. You really want Emily Thorne to succeed yet you care for some of her victims. The beach house settings are attractive.

Madeline Stowe is perfect in her role as Victoria Grayson and looks lovely as the ruling doyenne of the Hamptons. So glad she has found this role that suits her ability and looks. She was in an in between stage the last few years. Emily Van Camp as the main character Emily Thorne/Amanda Clarke tackles a difficult role well exuding sweetness and cunning without overacting. The supporting cast are good actors - chosen for acting ability rather than pretty faces. They aren't CW network attractive but they all act well. Joshua Bowman as the scion Daniel Grayson looks suitably clueless at times. Ashley Madekwe is good. Some casting was a bit weaker Christa Allen is a bit wrong side of the tracks for a Hamptons princess. Ashton Holmes as the not so nice best friend of Joshua Bowman is a bit too unhealthy looking and unattractive. Nick Wechsler looks earnest as Emily's first love but is kind of homely looking. Connor Paolo is distractingly tiny for his role. Henry Czerny looks suitably sinister as the evil CEO Grayson and Amber Valetta is quite good as a Hamptons wife/mistress.

In the end a good story is what makes a television series work and Revenge has it. Tune in and hopefully this one will last long. A good plot is better than violence and effects.

what an amazing show . the best that came out of Hollywood in the last ten years !!!!!!!!!!

Author: tarekofsyria from United Arab Emirates
30 December 2011

Being a fan of Madeline Stowe , the good roles she played in the 80s and 90s , and the fact that she was nominated for the golden globe for this series are the reasons why i wanted to follow this show . revenge is a really fun thrilling ride . first i would like to mention that the cast have done a great job ,Henry Czerny and Emily van camp are very convincing . Ashton Holmes added more drama and flavor to the revenge theme and of course Stowe has definitely portrayed Victoria in the greatest way possible . also the great setting of the show adds the element of class .the story takes place in the Hampton's , very chic very Dallas and falcon crest if you still remember these shows in the 80s . the plot is deep and and unpredictable . it gets thicker and thicker leaving the viewer wanting more and inpatient to know what will happen next . the director has achieved a great deal by making this series in a time when people got tired of the clichéd police thrillers where someone is killed and we wonder who did it . this show is much more meaningful than that, it touches deep matters . i recommend revenge to anyone who is looking forward to watching a class act with an original plot and a great cast that will keep you insatiable . i really hope Stowe will win for this one .

Beautiful Script

Author: Francis Harrison from canada
25 May 2012

i must say, being an ardent watcher of so many TV shows, this stands out as one of the best(if not the best) scripted TV shows ever.

Each episode gives every character a chance to blossom, invites us into their worlds and thinking and then drops a bombshell on us, keeping us in awe and suspense. I love how Emily tackles revenge and how every move she makes leads to more and more issues. I love Victoria's character and i'm also rooting for Declan and Charlotte.Very few flaws, but then its remains so good a spectacle, u would hardly notice. i hope it gets better with each new season. A perfect guilty pleasure. to the writers, i doff my hat to you. and to the actors, thank you.

Teenage series

Author: ripe_51 from Finland
20 February 2012

The show seems to have gotten a lot of positive reviews, but really cannot agree with them. To me it seems that revenge is just another teenage show, which leads me to question how has it gotten 8.3 stars without even having vampires in it... o_O

The idea of the show is decent enough, but it doesn't match up to the name, it really should be REVENGE, not a soap opera with teenage issues. The series is frankly a bit childish with emo themes in it. It's got the rich kids, the not rich emo dude who's angry at the privileged and pretty much the whole world except this girl etc etc. Sound familiar? It's because every teenage show has them.. It's not my cup of tea.

I did watch 5 episodes, should given up after 20 minutes of the show because that's more than enough to get the idea of what this series is about. I should add also that the main actor doesn't exactly fit the profile, she's just not believable as the "angel of death" who looks like an angel on the outside, she just looks dull. She doesn't make me believe her rage, anger.. anything.

Wonderfully Dark New Series

Author: Jason Daniel Baker from Toronto, Canada
14 October 2011

Amanda (Vancamp) whose life was destroyed when she was a little girl by a conspiracy of evil rich creeps in Southampton, New York returns 15 years later to exact a bold and elaborate revenge plot with a long list of people she intends to get even with.

She comes in the guise of Emily Thorne, wealthy débutante with all the right connections and personal holdings which rival those of her enemies none of whom suspect who she really is and why she is there.

Adopting disguises and employing illegal methods of stealth she undermines each and everyone she believes has wronged her.

But she is also haunted by personal feelings of the life she might have if she could just forget what was done to her and her father. This includes a romance with a local bar owner that began as crush when they were children before the calamity which saw her father framed for a crime he did not commit.

Canadian viewers will notice several Canadians in the cast - most notably Port Perry & Montreal's Vancamp, Toronto's Czerny and Halifax's Tupper.

We love to see our homegrown talent do well.

Page 4 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]