IMDb > "Revenge" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Revenge"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Revenge" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Overrated!!

Author: kaungkaung96
28 March 2014

When I saw the high ratings on that series, I thought it would be good. So, I gave it a try. I watched the first five episodes and nothing could grab my heart. The plot is good enough but the way the actress revenges on each person is just way too predictable. The methods of revenges should be more interesting and different from other movies. It is just a crappy drama for the kids who watch only for the pretty and handsome protagonists. Most people says the first season was good enough but I didn't even like that. For those who want to watch just a simple and boring revenge story, "Revenge" is the one! That series is highly overrated! Doesn't deserve high ratings!

Teenage series

Author: ripe_51 from Finland
20 February 2012

The show seems to have gotten a lot of positive reviews, but really cannot agree with them. To me it seems that revenge is just another teenage show, which leads me to question how has it gotten 8.3 stars without even having vampires in it... o_O

The idea of the show is decent enough, but it doesn't match up to the name, it really should be REVENGE, not a soap opera with teenage issues. The series is frankly a bit childish with emo themes in it. It's got the rich kids, the not rich emo dude who's angry at the privileged and pretty much the whole world except this girl etc etc. Sound familiar? It's because every teenage show has them.. It's not my cup of tea.

I did watch 5 episodes, should given up after 20 minutes of the show because that's more than enough to get the idea of what this series is about. I should add also that the main actor doesn't exactly fit the profile, she's just not believable as the "angel of death" who looks like an angel on the outside, she just looks dull. She doesn't make me believe her rage, anger.. anything.

Amazing Show

Author: Johanna Rude from United States
10 May 2012

I've always loved the movie Kill Bill but not in my wildest dreams I could have hoped for a show that would represent the same quality and emotion the movie showed. A good revenge story has always been popular no matter if it was Uma Thurman, Liam Neeson, Harrison Ford or Mel Gibson revenging their family. Revenge is a unique show in that it always gives you enough to keep loving and rooting for your favorite characters but at the same time leaves you wanting more. It is not necessarily because of affected cliffhangers but simply the storyline that makes you want to learn more and know what the future brings. Emily Thorne as the main character seems to be clever, smart, competent and amazingly diligent when it comes to revenging her father. She also shows a purity and innocence as a small child and you get to see the transition of her going from a place of happiness to a place of grief and loss. Even if you have a strong moral code you keep hoping Emily will get her dark revenge on every one in the Grayson family. Her background and history of loss, grief and lost childhood makes you hope she will make everyone pay who was responsible. I am always impressed whenever I find a show that gives you enough answers and solutions to be satisfied while at the same time keep you wanting so much more simply because the storyline is so rich. The Writers have obviously done a phenomenal job in a way that you recognize quality, intelligence and suspense in each written episode. If you love stories of suspense, hope, revelation and rich diverse characters, you will love this show. Emily Thorne is an amazing heroine that displays so many shades of gray that will leave you wondering what it is that makes you root for her and what it is that you would do in the same situation. In my opinion, this is one of the best shows around since the 90s. It has everything you could ever want and more. Plus, from what I read from the Writers and Producers of the show, they actually care about the fan base and their hopes for the characters and the storyline. Mike Kelley has done a fabulous job and even though I truthfully have never heard of him before, I believe he skillfully created a new masterpiece of TV show with Revenge. Give it a try and you will be in awe.

Great story - my favorite show of the season

Author: phd_travel from United States
31 December 2011

Finally there is a good television drama that isn't about gruesome crime solving or vampires, or werewolves and isn't just meant for teenage girls or crime obsessed adults. The story draws inspiration from the classic "Count of Monte Cristo" and is cleverly updated to the world of the Hamptons and hedge funds. The main character Emily returns to the Hamptons to take revenge on those who framed her father. There is genuine emotional tension and true excitement each episode. The scenes are well written and are inventive and satisfying to watch. The best thing about the writing is how it makes you care for most of the characters good or bad and when they are doing bad things you want them to get away. You really want Emily Thorne to succeed yet you care for some of her victims. The beach house settings are attractive.

Madeline Stowe is perfect in her role as Victoria Grayson and looks lovely as the ruling doyenne of the Hamptons. So glad she has found this role that suits her ability and looks. She was in an in between stage the last few years. Emily Van Camp as the main character Emily Thorne/Amanda Clarke tackles a difficult role well exuding sweetness and cunning without overacting. The supporting cast are good actors - chosen for acting ability rather than pretty faces. They aren't CW network attractive but they all act well. Joshua Bowman as the scion Daniel Grayson looks suitably clueless at times. Ashley Madekwe is good. Some casting was a bit weaker Christa Allen is a bit wrong side of the tracks for a Hamptons princess. Ashton Holmes as the not so nice best friend of Joshua Bowman is a bit too unhealthy looking and unattractive. Nick Wechsler looks earnest as Emily's first love but is kind of homely looking. Connor Paolo is distractingly tiny for his role. Henry Czerny looks suitably sinister as the evil CEO Grayson and Amber Valetta is quite good as a Hamptons wife/mistress.

In the end a good story is what makes a television series work and Revenge has it. Tune in and hopefully this one will last long. A good plot is better than violence and effects.

The return of intelligent television

Author: A56T from United Kingdom
29 May 2012

Revenge is just the type of programme that British audiences need at the moment. For too long now we have been force fed reality show after reality show and now E4 have decided to show this quality drama from the US and we thank them for it.

It is sharply written, it has a good plot and a cast that are all recognisable from other things. It isn't the sort of programme you can sit and watch in a passive manner though, you find yourself engaging with the plot lines and this is what television should make you do.

It's nice to see the very talented Emily VanCamp back on our screens after sort of watching her grow up on the hugely popular Everwood. She tackles a big character very well and I look forward to seeing where it develops.

So if you're in the UK and are looking for a series that will both entertain and make you think then look no further than Revenge.

Beautiful Script

Author: Francis Harrison from canada
25 May 2012

i must say, being an ardent watcher of so many TV shows, this stands out as one of the best(if not the best) scripted TV shows ever.

Each episode gives every character a chance to blossom, invites us into their worlds and thinking and then drops a bombshell on us, keeping us in awe and suspense. I love how Emily tackles revenge and how every move she makes leads to more and more issues. I love Victoria's character and i'm also rooting for Declan and Charlotte.Very few flaws, but then its remains so good a spectacle, u would hardly notice. i hope it gets better with each new season. A perfect guilty pleasure. to the writers, i doff my hat to you. and to the actors, thank you.

LOVE IT! Hooked

Author: Heather Hill from california
6 January 2012

I was pleasantly surprised on what an amazing show this really is. I actually feel like I am there in the show trying to figure out what Emily is going to do next. I love the suspense of it all and I think that it is so much fun to try and figure out her plan for everyone. What a devious and delightful plot. I love love love it! Wish I could watch it twice a week. It is better than I expected! Please don't end this show, make it come back for another season, I will be lost without it! So addicting, keep up the good work! I am wondering if Emily and Charlotte could be half sisters? I hope that she could end up with Jack in the end, he is such a sweet guy and it kills me that she can't tell him who she really is. I do not like that looser she is with now, but I understand its part of her plan. All the twists make it so interesting and it really keeps you on your toes wondering whats going to happen next.

A Guilty Pleasure

Author: Westcoastal from Vancouver, Canada
19 January 2015

I rarely admit to watching this show. It's one of the trashiest, most poorly written shows on television, and it has some of the biggest plot holes and storyline issues of any series I've ever watched. Everything in the show seems designed for maximum melodrama, and it seems every storyline is written to reinforce a broadly-believed myth, misconception or stereotype. The goal with the show isn't to make people think - quite the contrary - it seems the goal is to suck people uncritically into the story so they don't have to think. It's every bit as brain dead as a daytime soap, with all the typical soap opera tropes you'll have seen a million times. Total pablum, and the utter antithesis of 'thought provoking', but for some reason I still enjoy it.

Some watchable characters, though far from brilliant

Author: lenvm from United States
25 August 2013

The basic idea here of adapting the Count of Monte Cristo should make for compelling TV. Unfortunately, the result is mixed.

The big problem is the main character. She just isn't interesting enough to win our sympathy. It may be that the actor who plays Emily isn't up to the challenge, but the writing fails her, too. Don't get me started on Jack and Declan, who walked right off the set of Melrose Place.

Two characters make the show worth watching: Madeleine Stowe as the eeeeeeevil Victoria and Gabriel Mann as the delightful Nolan, who has the complex character Emily lacks. Why Nolan helps Emily despite her abusive treatment of him is not sufficiently explained.

Despite my gleeful response to Victoria, it must be admitted that, at the most basic level, the show promotes a lie about the 1%, which is that they work really hard to be evil. In reality, the evil that the extremely wealthy do is far more banal, and generally within the bounds of legality, since the laws exist to protect them. The show perpetuates a fantasy about social class which is essentially wrong.

Wow.

Author: missydizzy23
31 October 2012

This show is absolutely amazing. From the trailer of this show, I had many second thoughts as to whether I should watch it or not...but once I started I just couldn't stop! This show is just so good. There is so much drama in this show and can get complicated at times but it doesn't stop my addiction to it! Emily Thorne is the main character of the show and she is trying to plot revenge on the family that framed her father for a terrorist attack. Her tactical skills are just mind blowing. Not only is she absolutely stunning, but her character never fails...she is very smart. She will do things that you yourself have never thought of. She has the ability to do absolutely anything. I know I am talking a lot about her but she is what ties the entire show together. All the other characters also play a big role in the show as you will see once you watch it with the powerful Victoria and charming Daniel. I recommend anyone to watch this show! You will not be disappointed!

Page 4 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]