IMDb > "Revenge" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Revenge"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Revenge" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

There's this thing called "suspension of disbelief"...

Author: griffithsrm from Illinois
15 September 2012

As a child, Emily was at the center of a national political scandal, but when she returns home 15 years later, nobody recognizes her--including the next-door neighbor who'd had an affair with her father. Did I mention that she moved into the exact same house where she lived as a kid? She successfully tricks another next-door neighbor by putting on a black wig and glasses and posing as a hotel chambermaid. Like a super-hero who puts on a costume and passes undetected among close friends, Emily also manages to save the plot line with some amazing surprise talents (mad fighting skills, knowledge of non-lethal poisons) and when she needs help, she turns to her annoying frenemy, the computer whiz, who hacks into private security camera footage just in time to collect incriminating evidence. And for all the dramatic build up, Emily's revenge is painfully anti-climatic. A politician is shamed into resigning from a campaign. A bitchy socialite is cruelly snubbed at a garden party. A hedge fund manager loses money and his clients get mad at him. This is the vengeance she waited fifteen years to carry out? When yet another villain suffers a sad trombone moment and Emily dramatically X- s out his face in red marker, the effect is unintentionally hilarious. I understand this is a TV drama and not a documentary, but c'mon ABC, you have to try to meet your viewers halfway. It's a promising premise and a good cast but even Madeline Stowe's petulant Hamptons smirk can't save such pitifully lazy writing.

Lost interest November 2013

Author: MichaelBBBBB from United States
6 November 2013

I liked this series until lately. It had it's ups and downs but, held my interest. Without spoilers, the last few episodes made it clear this will never become more than a daytime soap opera. At first, the story had plot completions and small goals that were met or, at least resolved, for better or worse. That no longer happens. As I can see no possible way for the show to rekindle my interest, I am quitting now. If you enjoy flat out soap operas, and I am not criticizing you if you do, than this might be the show for you. If you want plot advancement and forward movement, than don't waste your time.

There is really nothing more to say to meet the arbitrary 10 line minimum of this site.

Fun to watch...but

Author: ron-fernandez-pittsburgh from United States
30 September 2013

REVENGE is a guilty pleasure. Just finished season one. If one can suspend disbelief, great. If one is looking for reality, check that one at the door. Even with todays technology, what the characters do with all the technical mechanisms, no way could all this happen. Twenty years ago or less this series could not have possibly been produced. There are more loopholes than meets the eye. And just about all occurrences are improbable. Just one instance SPOILER ALERT. Lydia lives in a high class well secured apartment building. Yet, two, not one, but two men get in her apartment without any difficulty at all!!! Emily's disguises are almost nil. Strange people just a few years later didn't recognize her. And how did she get to be one of the hired help at the big NY Eve party at the Graysons. No credentials, no background, no references. How was she paid? Convenience for the viewer but so phony otherwise. And how can Emily and or her 'partner in crime' possibly do what they do without ever being seen or noticed? Just a few of dozens of examples that are unexplainable. Again, if you just want to be entertained as a thrill ride, then by all means, enjoy the ride. REVENGE could have just ended after the first season. Just started season 2 for fun..ANOTHER ALERT: How in the hell did Victoria escape from the plane that was blown up????? Unless this was all a dream, this is the stupidest, craziest example of writing EVER. Will I continue to watch season two? Now THAT'S a cliffhanger!!

Revenge Episodes

Author: hippersonj from Canada
3 February 2012

I'm from St. Catharines in Canada and LOVE the Revenge show. In fact, I can't hardly wait from week to week to see what's going to happen next. I try to imagine, but I could never come up with the ideas that this show has. My only problem now is that the Revenge series are mostly re-runs and that can get "old and boring" very quickly. I wished they would make sure we have a new show each week because it's really fun to talk over with friends to try and see who comes closest to what's going to happen on the next show. My friends and I have fast become "family" because we're all so involved with Revenge.

Please help us and continue to give us a new episode each week so we don't lose interest. Can someone out there make this happen? Thanks.

Lame

Author: zoocar from United States
29 August 2013

I do love Madeline Stowe and have in all of her roles, but sadly this series dropped me after the first season. It was fun for a time but the lifeless, stoic and poorly acted nature of the lead character Emily left me with only one bullet of entertainment and five blanks.

I do not mean to disrespect her. Not everyone is born with a deeper and more complex/resourceful soul to draw from. She is clearly doing the best she can from a very flat and colorless pallet.

There is nothing that can be done now to replace her and save this series that could have been great.

Because of Madeline, I am giving this two stars instead of one.

LOVE IT! Hooked

Author: Heather Hill from california
6 January 2012

I was pleasantly surprised on what an amazing show this really is. I actually feel like I am there in the show trying to figure out what Emily is going to do next. I love the suspense of it all and I think that it is so much fun to try and figure out her plan for everyone. What a devious and delightful plot. I love love love it! Wish I could watch it twice a week. It is better than I expected! Please don't end this show, make it come back for another season, I will be lost without it! So addicting, keep up the good work! I am wondering if Emily and Charlotte could be half sisters? I hope that she could end up with Jack in the end, he is such a sweet guy and it kills me that she can't tell him who she really is. I do not like that looser she is with now, but I understand its part of her plan. All the twists make it so interesting and it really keeps you on your toes wondering whats going to happen next.

Not dark enough for me

Author: baines from Gothenburg, Sweden
13 January 2012

I think this show could have been great as a mini-series if you added more brutality/violence and more sinister actions from the main character.

The actors are not doing a bad job, but the more I watch this show, the more I feel like I'm not in the target group. It's too much of a soap opera for my taste, and it feels like this show will go on forever, just add more characters that hurt Emily/Amandas father and you're all set.

The show simply doesn't live up to its name, there isn't much revenge happening. I don't empathize much with Emily/Amanda and I don't get that feeling of retribution taking place in front of my eyes when finally a character dies.

The most recent movie I watched was "The girl with the Dragon Tattoo", watch it and see a rapist get what's coming to him, that's revenge.

Amazing Show

Author: Johanna Rude from United States
10 May 2012

I've always loved the movie Kill Bill but not in my wildest dreams I could have hoped for a show that would represent the same quality and emotion the movie showed. A good revenge story has always been popular no matter if it was Uma Thurman, Liam Neeson, Harrison Ford or Mel Gibson revenging their family. Revenge is a unique show in that it always gives you enough to keep loving and rooting for your favorite characters but at the same time leaves you wanting more. It is not necessarily because of affected cliffhangers but simply the storyline that makes you want to learn more and know what the future brings. Emily Thorne as the main character seems to be clever, smart, competent and amazingly diligent when it comes to revenging her father. She also shows a purity and innocence as a small child and you get to see the transition of her going from a place of happiness to a place of grief and loss. Even if you have a strong moral code you keep hoping Emily will get her dark revenge on every one in the Grayson family. Her background and history of loss, grief and lost childhood makes you hope she will make everyone pay who was responsible. I am always impressed whenever I find a show that gives you enough answers and solutions to be satisfied while at the same time keep you wanting so much more simply because the storyline is so rich. The Writers have obviously done a phenomenal job in a way that you recognize quality, intelligence and suspense in each written episode. If you love stories of suspense, hope, revelation and rich diverse characters, you will love this show. Emily Thorne is an amazing heroine that displays so many shades of gray that will leave you wondering what it is that makes you root for her and what it is that you would do in the same situation. In my opinion, this is one of the best shows around since the 90s. It has everything you could ever want and more. Plus, from what I read from the Writers and Producers of the show, they actually care about the fan base and their hopes for the characters and the storyline. Mike Kelley has done a fabulous job and even though I truthfully have never heard of him before, I believe he skillfully created a new masterpiece of TV show with Revenge. Give it a try and you will be in awe.

Great story - my favorite show of the season

Author: phd_travel from United States
31 December 2011

Finally there is a good television drama that isn't about gruesome crime solving or vampires, or werewolves and isn't just meant for teenage girls or crime obsessed adults. The story draws inspiration from the classic "Count of Monte Cristo" and is cleverly updated to the world of the Hamptons and hedge funds. The main character Emily returns to the Hamptons to take revenge on those who framed her father. There is genuine emotional tension and true excitement each episode. The scenes are well written and are inventive and satisfying to watch. The best thing about the writing is how it makes you care for most of the characters good or bad and when they are doing bad things you want them to get away. You really want Emily Thorne to succeed yet you care for some of her victims. The beach house settings are attractive.

Madeline Stowe is perfect in her role as Victoria Grayson and looks lovely as the ruling doyenne of the Hamptons. So glad she has found this role that suits her ability and looks. She was in an in between stage the last few years. Emily Van Camp as the main character Emily Thorne/Amanda Clarke tackles a difficult role well exuding sweetness and cunning without overacting. The supporting cast are good actors - chosen for acting ability rather than pretty faces. They aren't CW network attractive but they all act well. Joshua Bowman as the scion Daniel Grayson looks suitably clueless at times. Ashley Madekwe is good. Some casting was a bit weaker Christa Allen is a bit wrong side of the tracks for a Hamptons princess. Ashton Holmes as the not so nice best friend of Joshua Bowman is a bit too unhealthy looking and unattractive. Nick Wechsler looks earnest as Emily's first love but is kind of homely looking. Connor Paolo is distractingly tiny for his role. Henry Czerny looks suitably sinister as the evil CEO Grayson and Amber Valetta is quite good as a Hamptons wife/mistress.

In the end a good story is what makes a television series work and Revenge has it. Tune in and hopefully this one will last long. A good plot is better than violence and effects.

who shot JR

Author: aaroninacave from N.Ireland
22 July 2013

I had my doubts about this show but was convinced to give it a go by a friend... after the first 6 episodes i thought 'boy i got this wrong, this really looks like a decent show'.

Then, after episode 10 i realised that my initial doubts were well founded... i don't know what happened but i just turned into a soap not unlike Dallas or something. It lost it's direction, the writing became painfully contrived and to be honest the Revenge aspect of the show got lost behind several relationships... sad to say it quickly became a bla bla bla show fit only for teenage girls!

i abandoned this one after 14 episodes, it would have been 8 or 9 if not for my wife... now even she can't be bothered with it!!

Give this one a big miss!!! (unless you're a wee girl)

Page 3 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]