IMDb > "Revenge" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Revenge"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Revenge" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

It gets worse from episode to episode...

Author: hoboss-511-909039 from Hamburg
18 March 2013

At first, I was THE biggest fan and would have rated that show almost 100 out of ten. So, I was totally into that series... Since Season two has begun it's gradually getting worse... If I had known that in before, I would have stopped watching it after season 1 and thought of an end on my own. The whole story is so artificially constructed that's almost an ordeal to watch it (referring to THE INITIATIVE)... The Initiative did that, the Initiative is scary, the Initiative will kill you... For my ears it's like a writer's block and the staff didn't know what to construct next. BTW: will there be aliens soon? I am so disappointed and still hope that Revenge gets it together and make a sharp turn into "WOW, EXCITING!!!" (like Season 1)

There's one good thing: the actors are all doing a very good job. Still, if the content gets worse, there's not much to rescue.

(Since I'm no native speaker, I am not perfect in grammar. Sorry for any mistakes.)

Another bomb

Author: jbrias-360-89168 from madrid, spain
27 March 2013

What is it with Hollywood drama series that don't know where they're going? This series started out great, it had a good premise and an interesting set of characters. Think of it as a modern day Dynasty.

Now on its second season, the show has stagnated. The writers don't know where the show is headed, don't know how to end it and just keep introducing new characters to stave off the inevitable - cancellation.

In the latest episode, Emily's long lost foster brother appears out of nowhere, I guess to make up for the fact that they killed off Amanda Clarke. To make matters worse, this brother from another mother is instantly made co-chair of a foundation Victoria sets up for the departed Amanda. No background checks, no experience, no nothing. Co-chair. That's really believable stuff.

This is another show like The Following only it's been on for much longer.

Excellent story, even if you don't love drama

Author: sammcmullen from United States
19 November 2011

I generally tend to shy away from drama shows, the petty bickering, gossip, and backstabbing holds very little appeal to me. Revenge however caught my attention. A friend suggested it and I figured why not watch one episode. I now find myself looking forward to the next episode and the insights it will bring. Though the premise itself is not all that unique, the characters are excellently portrayed. The main character is an excellent blend of enough light that you root for her, but there is a distinct darkness that dwells within the her. I fear however, that this show is distinctly limited and cannot last. Overall an excellent show, though it's not a light show so don't watch it as a pick-me-up!

A devilishly good time.

Author: johnnymacbest from United States
27 September 2011

Oh the old phrase "revenge is a dish best served cold" is never far from the truth as the plot of this series provides. Simple in it's execution, twisting, like a snake in the garden of fertile soil abounding with fruit, and then without warning, strikes it's victim when he/she least expects it. A poison that grows within the human psyche of one Emily Thorne, whose past tragedy in her life leads her into a dark world of cold-hearted, calculated pursuit of vengeance. But in doing so, will she sacrifice her very soul?

It is fitting then that one would find an infatuation with a show such as this as it plays on one of the most demure and unfathomable aspects of human nature and the conflicts and consequences it brings to social inner-circles of family and friends so much so that one becomes blinded by arrogance, self-destruction, and wanton contempt towards those that have wronged the individual. As the story unfolds, secrets are unveiled for all to witness this dark and deadly tragedy that will inevitably lead to an even greater and terrible conclusion.

Intricately, it appears that all the pieces of the puzzle have yet to fall in place and this show is that one such puzzle. But the more things fit into place, the darker and disturbing it becomes. But the question remains: How far is one willing to descend into the depths of Hell without ever realizing there's no turning back? To find out, you have to watch "Revenge" for yourself.

Remake, Rehash, No Revenge

Author: Vincent Black from United States
28 March 2013

I found this show no different than any other night time soap opera. Very "run of the mill" and formulaic. From the first episode I felt I was just watching a "Dynasty" remake. To make matters worse the writer of this pathetic tripe is so heavy handed with the flash backs we start the season off with who shot J.R. Ewing and flashback 5 months. Now watching a flashback we flashback through Amanda's troubled and misspent youth. If the writers expected to hold my attention to watch more than just the pilot, they should have avoided the conflicted scenes with Gabriel Mann. Otherwise the character Amanda should have killed him in the very first encounter, leading the viewer to wonder if she shot the man on the beach or had him shot. Obviously the girl not capable of murder is not capable of revenge either. The story is a wash from the very beginning. If you think I am spoiling? No, you are told in the pilot episode in the first 15 minutes who lives and dies the first season.

A weak storyline, many loop holes, and a clone of the late 1970s soaps. If you love shows like "Desperate housewives", "Dallas", and your revenge a dish best served lukewarm, then maybe this is the show for you. If you are more of a "Dexter" fan and really love matured and well written shows then there is an ABC "Family" Production. They might as well show it on Netflix for kids.

Great start, now disappointing

Author: l-bowes from United Kingdom
30 August 2013

Season One was great to start with: We had Emily VanCamp tackle a villain-type role as the main character, which for me, added originality in comparison to other lead roles we have seen. Having said that, the character lost it's touch when the first season ended, Emily's character became dull and soft-hearted, and the show in general just lost it's touch.

I hope the third season will fix these errors and bring back what made the show compelling. But if not, I guess the show will lose another viewer.

If you like dark and gritty story lines then you will love the first season, don't be put off by the second season. I can only recommend giving it a chance to see how the next series will play out! If you like soap opera's then the second season shouldn't be a problem!

Lame

Author: zoocar from United States
29 August 2013

I do love Madeline Stowe and have in all of her roles, but sadly this series dropped me after the first season. It was fun for a time but the lifeless, stoic and poorly acted nature of the lead character Emily left me with only one bullet of entertainment and five blanks.

I do not mean to disrespect her. Not everyone is born with a deeper and more complex/resourceful soul to draw from. She is clearly doing the best she can from a very flat and colorless pallet.

There is nothing that can be done now to replace her and save this series that could have been great.

Because of Madeline, I am giving this two stars instead of one.

There's this thing called "suspension of disbelief"...

Author: griffithsrm from Illinois
15 September 2012

As a child, Emily was at the center of a national political scandal, but when she returns home 15 years later, nobody recognizes her--including the next-door neighbor who'd had an affair with her father. Did I mention that she moved into the exact same house where she lived as a kid? She successfully tricks another next-door neighbor by putting on a black wig and glasses and posing as a hotel chambermaid. Like a super-hero who puts on a costume and passes undetected among close friends, Emily also manages to save the plot line with some amazing surprise talents (mad fighting skills, knowledge of non-lethal poisons) and when she needs help, she turns to her annoying frenemy, the computer whiz, who hacks into private security camera footage just in time to collect incriminating evidence. And for all the dramatic build up, Emily's revenge is painfully anti-climatic. A politician is shamed into resigning from a campaign. A bitchy socialite is cruelly snubbed at a garden party. A hedge fund manager loses money and his clients get mad at him. This is the vengeance she waited fifteen years to carry out? When yet another villain suffers a sad trombone moment and Emily dramatically X- s out his face in red marker, the effect is unintentionally hilarious. I understand this is a TV drama and not a documentary, but c'mon ABC, you have to try to meet your viewers halfway. It's a promising premise and a good cast but even Madeline Stowe's petulant Hamptons smirk can't save such pitifully lazy writing.

Dallas and Dynasty reborn

Author: imdb-638-383492 from Denmark
28 May 2012

This series takes me back to my childhood when Dallas and Dynasty were running forever. The plot twists are exactly the same; lots of money and fancy houses, separation, bastard children, comas complete with amnesia following, devilish friends, trust funds, stock power battles, an abundance of mysterious strangers from the past etc. Only the family is called Greyson, not Ewing :-) The first few episodes were actually promising (if simplistic and cliché in other ways) but I guess the writers realized it would be a short show if they removed the main characters one by one and decided to go on a plot rampage I haven't seen since the eighties.

There are some pretty good actors involved, but the dialog is corny and the voice over laughable.

If you want to have some fun try listing the preparation and skills the main character has achieved in her short life. Or better yet the decisions her fiancé has taken and then reneged on during one summer. And how the devil did a Japanese sensei get into the plot? The continuity is also amusing; gaping wounds that disappear over night etc.

I stopped watching when yet another mysterious stranger from the past showed up. But it is still better than much of the crap out there.

Good but could have been better

Author: Raviv Granot from United States
14 January 2012

** spoilers **

I like the show, especially the first half of the season. Unfortunately, the producers ran out of ideas too quickly; the last two episodes I watched (8 & 9) were boring. The return of the fake Amanda Clarke to town is not that interesting, and so is the character of Tyler. The latter doesn't fit into the story. They should also try to build a more realistic story. -- there are too many James Bond characters in the show. But I will finish to watch the season, I want to know who killed Daniel -- I'm sure it has nothing to do with Emily, my bet is that the fake Amanda has something to do with it. Maybe season two will be a revenge of Emily against Amanda, the two seem to hate each other. Or maybe they will surprise us.

The good thing is that the two main characters, Emily and Victoria, are excellent. I like how the story evolves that Emily starting to really like Daniel and now also knows that Charlotte is her half sister. Her revenge plans will have to change.

Page 2 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]