IMDb > "Revenge" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Revenge"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Revenge" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Excellent story, even if you don't love drama

Author: sammcmullen from United States
19 November 2011

I generally tend to shy away from drama shows, the petty bickering, gossip, and backstabbing holds very little appeal to me. Revenge however caught my attention. A friend suggested it and I figured why not watch one episode. I now find myself looking forward to the next episode and the insights it will bring. Though the premise itself is not all that unique, the characters are excellently portrayed. The main character is an excellent blend of enough light that you root for her, but there is a distinct darkness that dwells within the her. I fear however, that this show is distinctly limited and cannot last. Overall an excellent show, though it's not a light show so don't watch it as a pick-me-up!

A devilishly good time.

Author: johnnymacbest from United States
27 September 2011

Oh the old phrase "revenge is a dish best served cold" is never far from the truth as the plot of this series provides. Simple in it's execution, twisting, like a snake in the garden of fertile soil abounding with fruit, and then without warning, strikes it's victim when he/she least expects it. A poison that grows within the human psyche of one Emily Thorne, whose past tragedy in her life leads her into a dark world of cold-hearted, calculated pursuit of vengeance. But in doing so, will she sacrifice her very soul?

It is fitting then that one would find an infatuation with a show such as this as it plays on one of the most demure and unfathomable aspects of human nature and the conflicts and consequences it brings to social inner-circles of family and friends so much so that one becomes blinded by arrogance, self-destruction, and wanton contempt towards those that have wronged the individual. As the story unfolds, secrets are unveiled for all to witness this dark and deadly tragedy that will inevitably lead to an even greater and terrible conclusion.

Intricately, it appears that all the pieces of the puzzle have yet to fall in place and this show is that one such puzzle. But the more things fit into place, the darker and disturbing it becomes. But the question remains: How far is one willing to descend into the depths of Hell without ever realizing there's no turning back? To find out, you have to watch "Revenge" for yourself.

It gets worse from episode to episode...

Author: hoboss-511-909039 from Hamburg
18 March 2013

At first, I was THE biggest fan and would have rated that show almost 100 out of ten. So, I was totally into that series... Since Season two has begun it's gradually getting worse... If I had known that in before, I would have stopped watching it after season 1 and thought of an end on my own. The whole story is so artificially constructed that's almost an ordeal to watch it (referring to THE INITIATIVE)... The Initiative did that, the Initiative is scary, the Initiative will kill you... For my ears it's like a writer's block and the staff didn't know what to construct next. BTW: will there be aliens soon? I am so disappointed and still hope that Revenge gets it together and make a sharp turn into "WOW, EXCITING!!!" (like Season 1)

There's one good thing: the actors are all doing a very good job. Still, if the content gets worse, there's not much to rescue.

(Since I'm no native speaker, I am not perfect in grammar. Sorry for any mistakes.)

Another bomb

Author: jbrias-360-89168 from madrid, spain
27 March 2013

What is it with Hollywood drama series that don't know where they're going? This series started out great, it had a good premise and an interesting set of characters. Think of it as a modern day Dynasty.

Now on its second season, the show has stagnated. The writers don't know where the show is headed, don't know how to end it and just keep introducing new characters to stave off the inevitable - cancellation.

In the latest episode, Emily's long lost foster brother appears out of nowhere, I guess to make up for the fact that they killed off Amanda Clarke. To make matters worse, this brother from another mother is instantly made co-chair of a foundation Victoria sets up for the departed Amanda. No background checks, no experience, no nothing. Co-chair. That's really believable stuff.

This is another show like The Following only it's been on for much longer.

Great start, now disappointing

Author: l-bowes from United Kingdom
30 August 2013

Season One was great to start with: We had Emily VanCamp tackle a villain-type role as the main character, which for me, added originality in comparison to other lead roles we have seen. Having said that, the character lost it's touch when the first season ended, Emily's character became dull and soft-hearted, and the show in general just lost it's touch.

I hope the third season will fix these errors and bring back what made the show compelling. But if not, I guess the show will lose another viewer.

If you like dark and gritty story lines then you will love the first season, don't be put off by the second season. I can only recommend giving it a chance to see how the next series will play out! If you like soap opera's then the second season shouldn't be a problem!

Good but could have been better

Author: Raviv Granot from United States
14 January 2012

** spoilers **

I like the show, especially the first half of the season. Unfortunately, the producers ran out of ideas too quickly; the last two episodes I watched (8 & 9) were boring. The return of the fake Amanda Clarke to town is not that interesting, and so is the character of Tyler. The latter doesn't fit into the story. They should also try to build a more realistic story. -- there are too many James Bond characters in the show. But I will finish to watch the season, I want to know who killed Daniel -- I'm sure it has nothing to do with Emily, my bet is that the fake Amanda has something to do with it. Maybe season two will be a revenge of Emily against Amanda, the two seem to hate each other. Or maybe they will surprise us.

The good thing is that the two main characters, Emily and Victoria, are excellent. I like how the story evolves that Emily starting to really like Daniel and now also knows that Charlotte is her half sister. Her revenge plans will have to change.

Revenge: Watch Out for the Woman on Fire

Author: shatteredrifle from Philippines
4 October 2011

There's no need to beat around the bush about ABC's Revenge. If you're looking for a new TV show to watch this fall, then this should be one of the top candidates.

Revenge tells the story of Amanda, a young woman hell bent on bringing down everyone in the Hamptons who took his father away from her when she was just a little girl. Now calling herself Emily, she picks them off one by one, and will not rest until everyone gets what they deserve.

I like how this show is self-aware that revenge is something so messy it is hard to know what's right or wrong in the process. It puts a Confucius teaching at the start of the episode which goes like "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves." Narration is also used, which helps develop the ominous mood in the air.

Great shows come from good casting choices. Emily Van Camp is perfect as Emily. She blends seamlessly with the rich crowd and yet stands out with her pretty face and dark intentions---the embodiment of innocence and deception. Although her methods are questionable, she is obviously the protagonist of the show. After all, we have enough straight arrows on television so it is wonderful to finally have someone complex like Emily. Madeleine Stowe plays her nemesis Victoria Grayson, also known as the Queen of the Hamptons. As shown in the first episode, she is a force to be reckoned with. With smiles as devious as they come, Emily will have a hard time if she is to dethrone Victoria.

Directed towards a young audience, the plot is very promising. A lot more needs to be fleshed out, which is something viewers want in a production. I am hoping that the "villains" of the show get more character development since we cannot have everything on black and white for a good story to exist. Given the premise, Emily can only exact revenge on a certain number of people before the show ends. This means that unless the conspiracy thickens even further and we find out that more are responsible for putting her father away, Revenge can only last for a short time (two seasons maybe, three seasons max) without it being overextended.

Which shows are like it? Revenge reminds me of Dexter with its morally-challenged title character, except this is with more scheming and less brutal murders (well, at least for now). It definitely has a touch of Gossip Girl (with the Hamptons and all, and Connor Paolo being it), but in this one, we know things are going to get ugly pretty fast, and it's not the oh-no-my-make-up-is-ruined kind of ugly. The first scene brings me back to the pilot episode of Damages where they give the audience a taste of the future without compromising suspense. This is a good tactic to shake things up. I just hope all questions raised will be answered in time.

Revenge is a fresh take on the high society life. The mixture of deadly betrayal and the elite lifestyle has got me looking forward to the rest of the season. No matter how hairy things are going to get, one thing is for sure, and that is the objective of the show: revenge. Wouldn't you want to watch something that still holds mystery even though you know perfectly well what you're getting yourself into?

Dallas and Dynasty reborn

Author: imdb-638-383492 from Denmark
28 May 2012

This series takes me back to my childhood when Dallas and Dynasty were running forever. The plot twists are exactly the same; lots of money and fancy houses, separation, bastard children, comas complete with amnesia following, devilish friends, trust funds, stock power battles, an abundance of mysterious strangers from the past etc. Only the family is called Greyson, not Ewing :-) The first few episodes were actually promising (if simplistic and cliché in other ways) but I guess the writers realized it would be a short show if they removed the main characters one by one and decided to go on a plot rampage I haven't seen since the eighties.

There are some pretty good actors involved, but the dialog is corny and the voice over laughable.

If you want to have some fun try listing the preparation and skills the main character has achieved in her short life. Or better yet the decisions her fiancé has taken and then reneged on during one summer. And how the devil did a Japanese sensei get into the plot? The continuity is also amusing; gaping wounds that disappear over night etc.

I stopped watching when yet another mysterious stranger from the past showed up. But it is still better than much of the crap out there.

Remake, Rehash, No Revenge

Author: Vincent Black from United States
28 March 2013

I found this show no different than any other night time soap opera. Very "run of the mill" and formulaic. From the first episode I felt I was just watching a "Dynasty" remake. To make matters worse the writer of this pathetic tripe is so heavy handed with the flash backs we start the season off with who shot J.R. Ewing and flashback 5 months. Now watching a flashback we flashback through Amanda's troubled and misspent youth. If the writers expected to hold my attention to watch more than just the pilot, they should have avoided the conflicted scenes with Gabriel Mann. Otherwise the character Amanda should have killed him in the very first encounter, leading the viewer to wonder if she shot the man on the beach or had him shot. Obviously the girl not capable of murder is not capable of revenge either. The story is a wash from the very beginning. If you think I am spoiling? No, you are told in the pilot episode in the first 15 minutes who lives and dies the first season.

A weak storyline, many loop holes, and a clone of the late 1970s soaps. If you love shows like "Desperate housewives", "Dallas", and your revenge a dish best served lukewarm, then maybe this is the show for you. If you are more of a "Dexter" fan and really love matured and well written shows then there is an ABC "Family" Production. They might as well show it on Netflix for kids.

It started off so well...

Author: alienbitch from Sweden
10 November 2012

It started off so well. I began watching this show with no expectations. The first few episodes blew me away and I enjoyed a smart show with a nice plot. Then came halftime and with every episode it just seems as a re-run of the previous. There are no new twists that you can't see around the corner, no believable plot and no sympathy for the characters. Frankly Iv'e given up on the show since I no longer care how their story turns out. The show has gone from something slick and smart to a half dead story that is just straight out ridiculous.

I would not recommend anyone to start watching the show since they will be disappointed how it turns out.

Page 2 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]