IMDb > The Baytown Outlaws (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Baytown Outlaws

The Baytown Outlaws More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

'Smokey And The Bandit' Meets 'From Dusk Til Dawn'

Author: Muhammad Mouse from Saudi Arabia
4 December 2012

I really didn't expect much of this going in, the poster looked cheap, & the two biggest names on it (Billy Bob Thornton & Eva Longoria) turn out to have two of the weakest roles in it, the story mainly being concerned with the Oodie brothers, three lovable outlaw rednecks who make what living they can shooting people in the face. It's very, very funny, & occasionally oddly moving, with gleefully over-the-top cartoon violence aplenty.

It would be hard to sum up the delightful chemistry the three brothers & the film itself manage to get going but I can't help think this is the kind of thing Tarantino would have come up with had he been put in charge of 'The Dukes Of Hazzard'. The film most like it I've seen lately is the woefully undervalued 'Machete', & if you like that charmingly absurd phantasmagoria, you'll almost certainly like this.

The best way to describe it would maybe be 'Smokey & The Bandit' meets 'From Dusk Til Dawn'. Or perhaps 'Way Of The Gun' meets 'The Beverly Hillbillies'? I don't know, but either way, this movie is one hell of a ride & a whole lot of fun.

Enjoyable Stylized carnage

Author: Francis Craven from Ireland
3 December 2012

A film based on a thin story with lots of funny violence and it gets it right. Just the right amount of character development, not to overbearing/tear filled/long like say Expendables. Just enough to care a little about the characters. Does not take itself seriously at all or try and tackle any issues like race or religion. Good quirky interesting characters on both sides. Just enough plot, character development and side story's to keep you interested but not make you feel like you wish they would just get on with it. On the down side nothing really original here either but whats their is well put together.

This is no masterpiece or anything subtle but it's a very enjoyable way to kill an hour and half.

original, humorous, and action packed!

Author: agridomes from United States
3 December 2012

First off, it is great to watch a film that is not a rewrite. The first 10 minutes will hook you, and the movie continues to deliver until the end. I for one find that movies rated lower than seven tend to be better than what people rate them. Maybe it is just me, but I can only stand so many movies about car chases, super heroes, and vampires lol. As for the cast, there are quite a few faces that keep this movie out of "B" rated waters. The three brothers blend perfectly, and their acting does not feel forced. One could argue a few parts of the movie, in regards to realism, but it is a movie. A film of this caliber does not need a sophisticated back story, as I perceive that the intent was to thrust the viewers into the day in the life of some good old boys doing what they do. With that said, I challenge folks to give this movie 10 minutes of your time and believe that you will not be disappointed.

Side note: try to view the movie for what it is; entertainment. If you you are the type to nitpick something to death, stick with csi lol.

Overall.. LOVED IT!

Author: kanelsu
10 December 2012

I thought this movie was GREAT! From the very beginning of the film, it gets right into action and it stays fast paced the entire way through. The only negative that I got from this movie was the non-realism in some parts. It just seems to go way overboard on some scenes, but overall it really wasn't too too bad. I really loved the cast and what each one of them brought to the table. Billy Bob Thorton's role was right up his alley. And he nails the part. I will say that being from the south, (North Louisiana) you could tell that some of the accents were put on and a little overboard at times.. But anyone from Pittsburgh wouldn't even notice probably. If you have the time, GO RENT/BUY THIS MOVIE!!

Excellent action packed movie

Author: contactwilliamjones from USA
27 February 2013

I loved this movie. It is an escapist movie you can watch and just relax while watching it. It is definitely worth the watch if you want a good action movie. It has plenty of gratuitous violence. Thumbs up from me. The lead actor did a wonderful job. Billy Bob Thorton is always good. Check it out. You will not be disappointed. No real brain power needed. For an action movie this is a plus. I am not a movie buff, but I do enjoy a good mentally relaxing movie and this one fits the bill. The acting is good and the action is definitely not true to life, but what action movie is. If you enjoy Quentin Tarentino movies then you will like this film. I would say it is a cross between a Kill Bill and Deliverence, but with out the hard core southern stereotyping. No "squel like a pig" or racist behavior. Just some classic shoot em up action.

Southern insult

Author: glennrockconner from United States
4 December 2012

Greed! Guns! Professional wrestling! Domestic violence! An arrogant yankee! Corrupt politicians! Misogyny! Lingerie biker babe assassins! Fishin'! Hard drink in' & hard drivin'! Sibling rivalry! Big-hearted killers! Family tragedy! Racial violence! Lynard Skynard! Road rage! Stereotypical rednecks, African-Americans, & Native Americans! Illegal aliens (actually, the only demographic represented favorably)! Spanish moss! Theological musing! An arrow through the knee (okay, not specifically Southern, but a nice touch)! If the goal was to jam as many slams on the South as a small-budget movie could handle, then writer/director Barry Battles' "The Baytown Outlaws" is a great success.

Yet in spite of all the negativity directed toward my fellow Southerners & our homeland, there is some good work in this film. The story is implausible, but stimulating. Clayne Crawford & Travis Fimmel as bad boy brothers bring unexpected depth to their characters, as does Andre Braugher as a powerful Southern Sheriff. Nice work, Barry Battles. Next time how about pickin' on some yankee bastards.

If you're a film nut you have to see it!

Author: Hellmant from United States
4 April 2013

'THE BAYTOWN OUTLAWS': Four and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

This is one of those movies that really caught me by surprise. I had heard a little about it upon it's limited release (in theaters) but it of course wasn't playing anywhere around me and the synopsis (and lack of hype) didn't peak my curiosity in the film. It's about three vigilante redneck brothers 'for hire' who agree to help a woman get her godson back from her asshole ex. They find an assortment of crazy mercenaries after them when they rescue the boy and try to bring him back to his godmother. It stars three mostly unknown actors in the leads (Clayne Crawford, Travis Fimmel and Daniel Cudmore) and was directed and co-written (with Griffin Hood) by an actor turned director making his feature film directorial debut (Barry Battles). The film also features some bigger stars in supporting roles like Billy Bob Thornton, Eva Langoria, Andre Braugher, Zoe Bell and Michael Rapaport but it was made on a budget of just $4 million and not given much publicity or attention at all. I loved it and think it's sure to be a cult favorite for many years to come. If you're a film nut you have to see it.

The film is set in Alabama where brothers Brick (Crawford), McQueen (Fimmel) and Lincoln Oodie (Cudmore, who you might recognize as Colossus from the 'X-MEN' movies) work for the local Sheriff (Braugher) murdering criminals, vigilante style, in order to help keep the crime rate there the lowest in the state. After botching one job and not getting paid they find a woman at their door, named Celeste (Langoria), offering the boys $25,000 to rescue her godson Rob (Thomas Brodie-Sangster) from her asshole crime boss ex, Carlos (Thornton). The brothers take the job and retrieve the kid but fail to kill Carlos as Celeste instructed them to. They then find all kinds of assassins 'for hire' after them as they try to get Rob safely home to Celeste. They oddly bond with the boy at the same time.

The movie really struck me as effective in the way it introduces it's three lead characters as disgusting villains and then instead makes you care for them, more and more, throughout the film. Their relationship with the boy was really well done and all four lead actors are really good in the film. If this movie had better backing it could easily make Crawford, Fimmel and Cudmore stars but with their charisma and talent I'm sure they can find other work to help them do that. The rest of the cast is all exceptional as well and Barry Battles really makes a name for himself with this film. For a debut effort it really is an exceptional production all around and I can't wait to see what he does next. It's got a lot of heart, it's funny, tons of excessively violent action, lots of sex appeal (including a gang of hot female biker assassins) and is just a really fun time at the movies! A lot of people will label it a cliché driven Tarantino-esque B action film but it's much more well done and creative than that gives it credit for.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHU1MR5VpzY

Pedal to the Metal

Author: kosmasp
3 January 2013

This is action packed and funny at the same time. The actors are great (Billy Bob having as much fun as he possibly can) and the movie is just great fun. If you'd compare it to a recent movie it'd be "Savages" I guess (though that goes a bit more style and a little bit less fun). On the other hand, it delivers the fun a movie like "Iron Fists" promised but never fully delivered (through the teen fantasy filter this might look a bit different I guess).

There is blood and action and the movie also has some nice bit players (be it Michael Rappaport back from the 90s) or Zoe Bell and her Crew (including one very mesmerizing Serinda Swan!). This is so much fun, I gave it an extra point/star for sheer adrenalin rush! The ending could be considered a bit of a downfall, but I wouldn't call it that

Awesome ! Well done!

Author: Rscaughman from United States
17 March 2013

I didn't think it was going to be a good movie. I love those 3 guys and I want to own this movie after seeing it. I was hooked from the first scene. It had humor and action in a unique storyline. I was sorry to see it end. I hope the same guys make another movie. Some people may not care for it but others will love it. Think I will buy it to have and watch again and again. It was a wild ride and fun . The cast was great The story was great The best movie I have seen in a while! The movie was fast paced and left me wanting more and not wanting it to end. It was just blended perfectly with action and humor. It was not what I expected. I wasn't even going to watch it because of the cover showed Billy Bob and Eva from desperate housewives but their roles were important but small and better than I could have hoped. I love the movie

Has it's downfalls, but gets the job done.

Author: (originalchoice@safe-mail.net) from Latvia
2 December 2012

I have to say that when I looked at the user rating and was immediately put down by the score and lack of reviews, but the reality was far from it. This one is in the same category as "The Devil's rejects" in my opinion.

The whole flick was pretty well edited, with interesting characters and didn't concentrate too much on any one of them. What was disconcerting was the story of these guys (lack of) and the eventuality that they will get caught. Some might think that that's fine, but really it's the product of irrational (emotional) thinking which gets the "bad guys" in the end. I would rather see another type of ending where intelligence, despite the aggression, might prevail because, contrary to popular belief, not everyone involved in crime always ends up behind bars (or worse). So there's room for improvement but I definitely enjoyed the movie and recommend it.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]