IMDb > "Against the Wall" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Against the Wall" More at IMDbPro »

Keeps me coming back each week

Author: sad-eyed-angel from United States
26 August 2011

I've read a lot of bad reviews and honestly, I don't understand where the hostility is coming from. From what I've seen of this show, I like it and it keeps me coming back each week. Being someone who watches Lifetime semi regularly, my curiosity was piqued when I kept seeing promos for their new show and I watched the pilot and was impressed. The premise is a Chicago woman takes an opening in Internal Affairs when her father and three older brothers are all blue-collar cops and are upset with her when they find about her new job. I found this show interesting and this is from someone who doesn't watch a lot of crime TV. What makes it interesting isn't necessarily the crime aspect or prominent eye candy (although there are some cuties to be seen) but because of the story and the characters themselves. It is believable that they are a real family rather than just actors and the way they relate to each other makes their family dynamic believable. So far the stories have been interesting enough to keep me coming back and I hope this stays around for a while.

Fresh and Interesting...great potential.

Author: ms_sp from Greece
28 October 2011

Another reviewer has panned this show purely because the backgrounds aren't Chicago. Whilst any person proud of their city may be remotely offended...it isn't a valid reason to pan the show. Also the premise of a heavily pregnant woman on the streets wielding her weapon is probably a little hard to believe...at the same time it was probably done as an experiment to do something different and create interest.

The pilot was a bit rocky and occasionally so was the scripting here and there. But that is usually true for the first seasons of most shows and the characters and acting really stands out in this show. Racheal Carpani does really well to charm the viewers and as a young almost newcomer she holds the show together really well with the help of a very charming and talented ensemble cast. The choice of Kathy Baker and Treat Williams for her parents was a good one to back the show up so to speak with some star value....but I agree with other reviewers that Papadol could be either strengthened or lost completely.

So far I am entirely charmed and think this show is certainly worth seeing how season 2 fairs. It is a step apart from the regular action packed hard-ass cop dramas which is why it has a freshness to it. Racheal Carpani is absolutely one to watch which being a fan of hers from McLeod's Daughters is the only reason I set out to watch this show in the first place.

good performances

Author: roelin from Netherlands
3 September 2011

I like the way of acting. I also like the story line with the i.a. cases but also with the family matters. I disagree with another reviewer: sex is part of life and in this series it is good, beautiful and it belongs to the age and way of life of the main character. Especially the end of part 5 when mother and daughter are chatting to each other touches my heart. Good acting, good story lines, go on!!! The main character does a good job, but also her colleague who is pregnant, is a very good character. The role of the father is a special one. With such a daughter, who chooses her own path he has his problems, but I see he starts to understand and accept the way of life of his daughter. I hope this series will go on on the same level. Often this series become quickly mechanical. I hope that will not happen here.

Superb

Author: nowego from Australia
26 September 2011

I have been watching this since the beginning, coming from Australia I have to download this show and I look forward to it each week.

I have been a big fan of Treat Williams since he starred in DB Cooper many years ago, so seeing a show with him in is a bonus for me even if he is just a bit part.

The show revolves around a family of cops, similar to Blue Bloods, but only in that regard. Abby is the only daughter of the family and she joins Internal Affairs because that is the only detective posting available. This is much to the disgust of her brothers and father, but they get over it as they love their sibling more than they hate IA.

While some of the scraps she and her partner, a pregnant Lina get into are a bit over the top, it is still mostly believable and very entertaining. The show is a police show that adds a lot of family drama and I enjoy watching it very much and recommend it. I look forward to this being on air for a long time to come.

8 out of 10 for me.

Breath of fresh air from typical cop dramas

Author: (togood4you2008@aol.com) from ohio, United States
23 October 2011

When I first saw the previews for this show, I thought it was going to be another cheesy cop drama. Boy was I wrong! It's not like another cop drama with cheesy one liners or music that doesn't fit just to add suspense. It's about Abby Kowalski, the youngest of four cops and the only daughter of the chief of police. She wants so badly to become a detective but the only opening is in IA (Internal Affairs). When she tells her family her job choice, they are upset and her mother is the only one that will talk to her but wants nothing to do with argument. Her dad and her brother Donnie think that she is betraying the family because they believe IA is just out to get cops in trouble. Her brothers, Richie and Steve, are a little mad but are more worried about Abby and don't want her to get hurt. Because she has been surrounded by the police force all her life, a lot of her investigations involve people she has known her whole life and it makes it harder for her to keep emotions out of the investigations. Her pregnant IA partner keeps her grounded and her mind on the cases. On top of everything else, she is caught in a love triangle between Richie's partner, Brody, and a District Attorney named Danny. She has told them both that she doesn't want a relationship, because of her own insecurities, but continually runs into both of them. I find myself rooting for her because she's a woman in a man's world and it's entertaining because she puts doubters in there place. And even with all her relationship insecurities and the fact she's claustrophobic and refuses to take elevators, she very empowering and is a change from the man-dominating cop dramas.

Love Love Love this show

Author: calgalntn from United States
11 September 2011

This show is great. I love it for the characters and the interaction between them. Rachael Carpani is outstanding as she is able to bring a softness (clumsiness, singing little songs to herself) to Annie at the same time that she makes it clear that Annie is tough as nails (like during the "touch" football game). I also like the Lina/Annie relationship as they go about their investigations. Thank goodness their partnership is professional and genial. So many times women are portrayed as backbiting and bitchy toward each other. But the meat of the show is the relationship of Annie and her family. The family dynamics are wonderful. Her relationship with her police officer father and brothers, who detest IA, do not deter from performing her IA duties. It's easy to understand how she was able to work her way up the career ladder and apparent that she is capable of going farther. Great show!

ATW is excellent

Author: sallympg from San Diego, CA
27 February 2012

This show was a breath of fresh air in the midst of pointless and scripted "reality" shows as well as the numerous male dominated cop shows. It had a great cast, many of which were newcomers and a great storyline that always left you waiting for more. Abby goes into internal affairs a temporary position as she awaits a detective spot to open and ends up really finding her place in IA. Her family is a close knit family in Chicago and makes you feel like you are one of them while watching. Plus, the love triangle that Abby gets herself into is a fun side plot to watch. All the characters are interesting and all the stories leave you wanting more. It is a great show and great job to Lifetime for airing such a great story.

Lifetime tries scripted cop show

Author: SnoopyStyle
19 August 2013

Lifetime attempts do something here. Maybe the problem is that they didn't take on more risk. Or else they could have more than 13 episodes. Rachael Carpani is Abby Kowalski who comes from a police family headed by Kathy Baker and Treat Williams. She is frustrated with her opportunities and decide to defy everybody by joining Internal Affairs. She is paired with Marisa Ramirez and investigates police misconduct.

There is some good family drama along with the standard police procedural. Other than with 2 women leads, there isn't anything that is out of the ordinary here. And that was already done 30 years ago. Maybe that's the problem.

Awesome show

Author: lazyladyj2007
7 August 2013

I absolutely loved this show. It felt so real to me and I absolutely loved all of the cast, I loved Abby the most because she is such a strong woman and wont let anything stand in the way of what she wants, and the family was a wonderful match up they were all fit the parts perfectly, I was amazed at how good the show was and was very sad to see that they've decided not to air it again. I just wanted to let someone know how I felt about it and hope there are more people out there who would love to see this show again, even if some of the cast had to be changed but I don't think anyone could fit the part of Abby as well as Rachael Carpani. I also think she would be great in other shows and movies! Thank You.

A close family show and cop show all in one.

Author: rhiog from United States
26 March 2012

I loved this show and have been waiting to see the continuation of it. I hope it will be on again as my husband and I DVR'ed it and watched it religiously. The combination of a family story and police show and all the stories that go on around the lives of each makes it interesting and compelling. This is one of those rare shows that you don't want to fade away. Everyone in the show is well cast and I want to know which guy the daughter will pick. The main character has left the family route of police work and chosen Internal Affairs to the chagrin of her father and brothers. There is a great deal of tension between her and the rest of the family in her attempt to be herself, make her own choices and still belong to the family. Her father and brothers have turned their back on her for her choice but she stands her ground. I sure hope there is more to come because I would be sorely disappointed if it isn't slated for a new season.