Longmire (TV Series 2012–2017) Poster

(2012–2017)

I love this show!
mduva1 July 2012
Having been raised in New Mexico, I love seeing a cop show set in the West...... It reminds me of seeing the Sheriff Department's deputies driving out in the desert when I had the opportunity to go target shooting out in the "boondocks" with my brothers. These deputies would be out on the job making sure everything was cool; Longmire reminds me of these guys: good people, down to earth, wise in their ways, and knowing how to do their jobs. I love this show; and Robert Taylor, to me, is the Matt Dillon of the 21st century. I didn't realize Mr. Taylor was Australian until I read his bio. This guy passes the test with flying colors! He acts and sounds like he is from the old American West. It doesn't get much better than this.
92 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
More proof TV is now better than the movies..
A_Different_Drummer10 July 2013
We're not in Kansas anymore both literally and figuratively. Literally Longmire takes place in Wyoming. Figuratively it represents yet another persuasive piece of evidence for the view that higher quality product is coming out of TV than the studios these days. Whoda thunk it? Following JUSTIFIED and HATFIELDS/MCCOYS, we have this new entry and it is prime Grade A Entertainment. Arguably a little less showy than JUSTIFIED, it serves up each week a visceral portrait of an old-time lawman in the modern world -- Taylor is brilliant -- along with some intellectual thrills as well. In the first episode, Longmire justifies (pardon the pun) the fact that he was seen "reading on the job" by revealing the book he was reading -- and it's Sherlock Holmes. Recommended to keep your skills sharp, he explains. Also a nice blending of testosterone and estrogen, with Katee Sackhoff and Cassaday Freeman there to remind viewers that the Wild West was not merely a bunch of cranky old guys so macho they could jog home from their own vasectomies. Lou Diamond Phillips, a bit older now, is excellent in a supporting role. If all TV was this good, Hollywood would be out of a job..

ADDENDUM; I just upgraded my rating from a 9 to a 10 as I finished season 1. This show is a jewel. No wasted dialogue, no wasted camera angles, no wasted cuts. Easily one of the leanest productions in recent memory, and possibly should come with a warning that it is addictive. Sackoff's voice contains so many tones and nuances that I Google'd her, turns out she is not only a superb actress but a tier-1 animation voice too. Wow.
69 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Robert Taylor--Best Actor Emmy Award...just sayin'.
beckr125 June 2012
I can understand some of the negative reviews. Some of it I agree with. On shows like this, if it is in your wheelhouse, you buy in completely, and I'm there. Some of the supporting characters are over the top, but one thing is for sure, Robert Taylor is amazing. I wish there was someway to get a buzz going on the Internet about a Best Actor nomination for an Emmy.

It's a good procedural and plenty of dramatic elements. I'm never bored and it's quite different from previous attempts at Western cop dramas. I'm glad it's not another fish out of water story like Coogan's Bluff or McCloud. Robert Taylor's screen presence is the glue that holds it all together.
87 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Looks promising
bobbyxie198410 June 2012
I'll admit I only gave this show a chance because it premiered at a time when a lot of shows are on break. I'm glad that I did because this might just turn out to be the next great law show (Justified being the most recent). Have to wait and see how the season turns out.

After watching the first episode, you can immediately tell the producers and writers are keen on character development. With the only about half the episode devoted to the first case itself, you'll learn a lot about Sheriff Longmire quickly. That's not to say you won't enjoy it though. This show is VERY watchable. I actually went back and watched it again the next day. A&E hasn't produced a lot of shows I've enjoyed but I'm looking forward to the episode.

Set in Wyoming, viewers can expect to see beautiful scenery and the pilot certainly did not disappoint in that sense. Native Americans play a major roll in this show and it seems the hostilities will progress throughout the season. The show focuses on old school methods of law enforcement rather than the recent trend of C.S.I. semen under the fridge kinds that have been dominating in recent years.

Give this the show a chance.
99 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great new show
max84310 June 2012
Watched Longmire four times in the past 24 hours - stood up to my personal test! No wasted dialogue, all conversation is relevant to the story line, no unnecessary "action," great scenery, interesting character development....

I think the sheriff may be the Australian actor Robert Taylor - with a terrific American accent. I've seen him in Ballykissangel on PBS and in a couple of UK mystery series but didn't realise he was the same person until I read his credits.

As to the portrayal of Native Americans, I have been privileged to have had a few American Indians as good friends over the past decades. As stated by a previous poster, we all come in all types and varieties. I found the depictions to be realistic.
91 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Loved it
Leigh Mitchell4 June 2012
I really enjoyed the show. It reminded me of a Louis L'Amour novel. I haven't read the books this show is based on, but I plan to soon. I appreciated the pace, and overall feel of it. I felt completely absorbed in the realness of the characters, and really felt like I was in Wyoming. No glitzy computerized special effects, and no unrealistically fast crime scene analysis. I am looking forward to "getting to know" the characters. I loved the little town square, the Wranglers, and the scenery is breathtaking. I also enjoyed the music. Very happy the show includes one of my favorite actresses, Katee Sackhoff.
52 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
great crime drama with a western setting
karen-387-9098593 June 2012
Crime, drama, good vs bad, characters and great actors all make for a good story line. There is enough subtle humor to keep it interesting, and the action is fast moving, so that it doesn't get boring. Conflict among the characters make it more real life. There is potential for the development of romance as the storyline unfolds. Some of the characters are recognizable from other major shows, which makes the show even more appealing. The characters display the true western tough-guy, no-nonsense approach to dealing with wild-west crime. The tough-girl on the show makes it even better. I look forward to seeing where the writers will take the various characters in future episodes.
62 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great characters.....great story-telling
anurri3 June 2012
I don't know what everyone else watched, but what I watched tonight was great! I loved the main character from the first scene. The other characters are strong and well portrayed. The scenery captures the wonderful open sky in Wyoming with beautiful shots. Plot development moves well and the characters you meet throughout are full and rich. They are real people,with the flaws and strengths that make for dense characterization. If you are looking for a character to pull for - tune in. There is humor and pathos. If you have ever experienced deep grief, then you will most likely 'get' Longmire. I hope you watch it. Great story.
37 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent character development. Very entertaining!
Brynnmitchell25 May 2013
I had not planned to watch this series, but luckily caught the Pilot. The characters are multi faceted, deep and interesting. The scenery is beautiful. It is wonderful to watch a program that doesn't depend on special effects and empty chatter. Granted there have been a couple of scenes I would have left on the editing floor, but overall, great. I love the Wyoming and Indian Reservation setting. Be careful, you might actually learn something. Robert Taylor is well cast as the sheriff. Personally, I would have loved John Corbett as the Sheriff. I love "Ruby". Is she an actress or a real sheriff office employee? The actors are that good. Louie Diamond Phillips is always excellent. I'm looking forward to the new season.
39 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent Show
PartialMovieViewer5 July 2013
Normally, I will ignore most new shows for a complete season. No real reason other than most should be canceled before the pilot gets filmed. I did the same for, "Longmire", until I heard from people I work with say this show was worth a look. I sat down and turned on Netflix and watched the pilot. Needless to say, I was impressed. To ensure that the pilot was not some weird fluke I watched a couple more episode – again – I was impressed - well - more like hooked. Most summer programs are garbage and should be left to fester, but "Longmire" is well worth the time to turn on the TV and munch on a snack or two. Oddly, I do agree this is probably 'some tired', 'rehashed', 'hackneyed' rip-off of 'some crime story', and doesn't have anything really 'new' or 'fresh.' Well more often than not 'new' and/or 'fresh' usually means the main character has some 'super-duper-mystical-mysterious-phenomenal talent' – so what actually is 'new' or 'fresh' about that kind of garbage? I just want a show with good stories, good scripts and good acting – you can save fancy-pants CGI for 'Cops Of Steal.' For me, this show is gritty, fast paced and enjoyable (better than many of the over-budgeted movies I have had to suffer through.) No sanctimonious hidden meaning, just a sheriff who has no cape or 'cerebral insight', he just has a 1911 .45cal; an old Ford Bronco he can't keep on the road, a painfully honest bartender/friend and some snarky deputies. All of whom are well cast. This show is beyond the great potential stage and is well on its way to be my favorite (so long 'Mentalist', 'Bones' and - yes - even 'NCIS')
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best new show of the summer, "Longmire"
Longmire is an interesting character driven show. With some unique situations and breathtaking scenery, this series deserves a long run. Let's give this show time to develop. The relationships between Longmires daughter and the deputy sets the stage for a possible rocky three way feud. Lou Diamond Phillips, as the bar owner part time tracker, does some of the best acting that he has done in years. The supporting cast is believable and the guest roles have been filled with creditable and sometimes quirky characters that give a different sense of style to each episode. AMC has served up several excellent series and this may just be one of the best yet.
30 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I'm a Fan and here's why.....
lydiafutral25 June 2013
So I watched the pilot and fell in love with the show for many different reasons; the beautiful countryside, the cleverly written mysteries, the sly Indian friend, the spunky deputy..... But above all, I fell in love with Walt Longmire played brilliantly by Robert Taylor. (Who I was slightly crushed to find out was Australian, not American.)

I loved his Character, a strong, silent, funny-in-a-wry-deadpan-kind-of-way, all around good man.

Then I found out that there where books, and my heart sank. No way was I not going to read them, but I was afraid that the book Walt Longmire would be different from the show Walt Longmire, who I really liked.

I stand by the view that the book is always better that the movie or TV show, because let's face it, things suffer when you transfer to the screen, usually the characters. That is why when a character is done well, the success is all the sweeter.

You can sacrifice a lot, in the form of story line, if the characters are acted and written well. (Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings, or Colin Firths Mr.Darcy in Pride and Prejudice)

I read the books and found that I had nothing to be afraid of! If at all possible I got more excited about the show because I read the TV Walt in the pages of the book, and the book gave me more depth and back story to this man's character that I now saw played out in the show. That's how good a job Robert Taylor does.

Read the books! Watch the show! And enjoy them both for that are just extensions of each other!

And that is why I am a fan!
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Much better than it sounds.
Lee Lewin21 July 2013
Don't be put off by your first impressions... judging by the poster, title and description, I was expecting this to be dreary and dull. It wasn't! If you like 'Justified' then you will really like this.

Like most detective shows, 'Longmire' is a 'crime-of-the-week' - 'who-done-it', but unlike a lot of those types of shows, the acting is first class and so too is the writing. It isn't written to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

It is not full of gun fights and car chases. It does not try to be sexy or glossy. This is not CSI Montana - it is something a bit new and a bit different, and it is very refreshing. Give it a go.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Its the Contemporary Marshall Dillon
dlynn9071517 July 2012
i watch a lot of old westerns and western TV reruns. Longmire reminds me of the Marshal Dillion TV show. Excellent! My favorite episode so far, The Dog Soldier. Am sitting here with Marshall Dillon on at present. He tall, a gentleman and will kick your ass when necessary. They are one and the same. Hope it doesn't go the way of the good TV shows and TV has the intelligence to order more seasons. There's already too much that isn't watchable these days. As a N. American i like the fact that the series shows the difficulities N. American STILL face. With all the stupid reality TV shows this one with is simply reality stands out. And thats a good thing. As my mothers people would say Nuwedi! (Thank you)
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Please have a Season 5 ,I Can't Wait for Season 5 to Premiere
akwien17 October 2015
I am so excited to get the date for season 5 that I have already put it on my calendar! There are only about 4 decent shows on TV and Longmire on Netflix is right up at the top of the list. THANK YOU Netflix for bringing the show back. I will not miss an episode!

This is one of the best TV series out there ! It is well written, well acted and deserves to be continued for another season. The cast fits and works well together, it and the main characters should win Emmy's. The storyline, scenery, cast all make it an excellent show. The mix of the Native Americans and lives of the main characters is also very well done and adds to the show. There are many good shows with mysteries, NCIS, Criminal Minds, Law & Order SVU but it is refreshing to have a series with a western theme as well as the investigations by Sheriff Longmire and staff. We have watched the seasons in order and the continuity that is kept makes you anticipating the next episode. I was delighted when Netflix picked up the show and am anxiously waiting for the next episode.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent show read the books for more background
lyntim-401-76462319 June 2012
The Longmire TV show is based upon a series of books written by Craig Johnson (his latest just released being "As the Crow Flies". The books contain a lot more rich background and details about the various characters than is possible to depict in the TV show. The TV show is filmed in New Mexico but if you notice in some scenes they have changed the license plates to Wyoming where the books are based. All in all I have really enjoyed watching the TV shows especially after having read all of the Longmire books. The writers and producers of the show have changed some of the characters. Deputy Ferg in the books is a "semi-retired" older deputy who always seems to be out fly fishing. The upcoming election for sheriff pits Longmire against a person who is not working within the sheriff's department. Vic is pretty true to the book story line however she uses a lot more colorful language in the books. Henry Standing Bear has a pony tail is tall and well built and is a hit with all of the women. Well enjoy the series and pick up some of the books to read they are a hoot.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great cast, great writing, great production values - winner
addled17 July 2012
Love this show because of its balance. Acting, writing, production values are all top quality. No whiny shrieking reality show/cheapie comedy crap. Real stories beautifully presented. Looking forward to a greater Indian presence in the scripts.I went out and read all the books because the show hooked me so drastically. Glad to say that the bones are in the books but the show is taking its own direction. I do wonder sometimes how, since this is such a small town, how it can have quite so many murders but so far there are "reasonable" explanations for the deaths. There do seem to be a great many really expensive looking homes and very little seems to be happening "in town." Hopefully season 2 will expand the horizon a bit.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
As a loving fan of the Walt Longmire mystery novels
gypzdan13 August 2012
First, I must say this TV series is amazing and I trust it will have a multi-season run and wind up in syndication.

That said, I must confess some of the characterizations are breaking my heart, almost to the point where I have to consider the TV series as a completely separate creature from the novels or it would make me crazy.

Fortunately, the depiction of Walt is the most on target of any of the characters, but so much is still lacking after having seen all ten episodes. I know TV can't satisfactorily afford the viewer Walt's mind's eye perspective, but without that inner dialog his stoicism comes off so one dimensional it hurts. How to convey his lingering trauma as a Viet-Nam vet? What about his spiritual experiences that make him a wonder amongst the Indians? And why are all his relationships being cast as so confrontational? In the pilot he practically accuses Henry of running a brothel, whereas in the books the trust between them is beyond implicit, beyond brotherhood. Why does his daughter, Cady, seem to question his professionalism? Why must he have an adversarial relationship with the Indians on the Res, whereas in the books he enjoys a status of respect and deep significance? Why is his relationship with Lucian, his predecessor as Sheriff, mentor, and continuing friend and confidant in the books, depicted as him enduring the meddling of a cantankerous and resentful retiree? The writers seem to be going out of their way to create plot tensions at the expense of sacrificing relationship intricacies that make Walt's world so endearing in the books.

Lou Diamond Phillips, cast as Henry Standing Bear, will disappoint me as long as he continues slipping contractions into his lines, and as long as he keeps grinning and chatting like some glib casino host. Henry is supposed to be stoic, stone-faced even, and Lou isn't making me a believer... yet.

Regarding Victoria, I understand the network lacks the balls to allow her the same sort of foul language as in the books, but did they have to dial back her brazenness to the point where she comes off more like a sorority girl with a 'tude instead of a gritty, veteran Philly homicide detective? Not all the lines that give The Terror her perverse charm in the books require expletives. So far I get no sense of the edginess that makes the character so daunting and compelling in the novels.

The gripes I have with some of the other characters, like Omar and The Ferg, are trivial in comparison, so I'll spare everyone. All gripes aside, I will be a faithful viewer. I won't be able to stop myself because I love Walt Longmire's world so much.
27 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a series!
David Hauser12 September 2015
I watched this show from the beginning, and so far it was great (seasons 1-3). But not because there was more action than anywhere else or more mystery or something like that. No it was different, Longmire is a character driven story, that relies on the interpersonal connections and conflicts, while offering an at least decent story which was always framed by a bigger one (The murder of Sheriff Longmires wife and so on). Added to that the scenery is simply stunningly beautiful. It makes you feel like you are in the wide open with nothing but nature around you. AMAZING! Now I want to get to the 4th season.

After the end of season 3 I was so thrilled and couldn't wait for season 4 to be released. But then it was canceled and I almost died of a heart attack. But then Netflix picked it up - luckily! With this there is a change in the pacing of this series which parallels the story. While the Casino is finally built and opens and therefore brings a lot of people to the former quiet rural area, it brings the present to this little town where everything used to be a little bit slower and living in the past (in the best possible way). The same thing happens to the pacing: It often gets faster, looks more modern. Now, I don't mean to say, that I didn't like the "old" Longmire, but the "new" achieves what rarely can be achieved. It is the same series with all the charm it had but is brought up to "modernity" at the right places - simply put, I like it a lot! I think the new characters are a very good addition to the cast, although I didn't enjoy the "casting show" of the new deputy very much. The "old" characters and their relations are evolving in a good way, not too foreseeable but nothing too fancy - just the right balance. As for the story: it is simply great. It's isn't the good old "one episode, one case" format but rather a series of more or less related crimes - also new but really enjoyable. The ending: Absolutely perfect. the whole last episode is a piece of art! It just brings everything so perfectly together - no old loose ends, nothing too kitschy or fancy, just the right amount of satisfaction. Plus, while there are three major cliffhangers (one concerning Henry, two concerning Walt), it feels much more satisfying than the finale of season three. Although I cannot wait for season 5, I don't feel like they cheated me into wanting to watch the next season.

Overall, marvelous job, special thanks go out to Netflix for saving this gem! Worth a watch!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Seriously the best TV show I've seen in a LONG TIME!
abigroman30 June 2014
It was difficult for me to pull this out of Netflixs to watch: First, I'm not a cowboy type of guy. Secondly, something about the middle of Wyoming doesn't sound too interesting. Well I was completely wrong! I only watched this because I was a big fan of BSG (Battle Star Galatica) and Katie. Anyway, the writing, lead acting, and many story arcs have you on your seat waiting for you next scene!

I really have to give it to the creators of this show. You really outdid yourselves with genre that was dead some time ago. If anybody liked Tom Seleck in "Jesse Stone" you will like this exponentially more. Mr. Taylor (Longmire) really was casted well for this show and he has done a masterful job! His daughter also gives a great performance and expect to see more of her everywhere!
Love this show!
kelliealise-b20 June 2014
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it or not but the music is very cool in this series. Nice selection. And then there is Lou Diamond Phillips who brings an air of authenticity . I like living in the open new west without living in the new west and with a soundtrack. Just to cool! It is a tad of a stretch that the murder rate per capita is far fetched but maybe it's those wide open spaces and too much time on their hands huh? It's a show and if it were too believable it would not hit the mark for me. The acting is tight, the scenery of Northern New Mexico is beautiful and it is something totally different in terms of western fare. I find it relaxing.
Entertaining
marina_7079 September 2013
I liked the plots of the shows, the acting, as well as the characters.

My mom complained about Lou Diamond Phillips's acting (being stiff, unbelievable) but I didn't mind it. Robert Taylor in my opinion is excellent.

I did notice a few slip ups. Like when the show says a couple has been married 11 years but their biological son looks 15. I also am a pretty good predictor of the plots of shows. . but with this show I don't mind saying that I wasn't right all the time. It is like Law and Order but with Western Style and funnier/interesting characters.

I am looking forward to watching more shows and see the character development, which takes it time.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
refreshingly intelligent, highly entertaining, well-acted
murraygermaine27 August 2013
The Season 2 finale, "Bad Medicine," was a nail-biter. Well written, well acted especially by Taylor who has found his signature role. The fans of this show are awaiting news of the renewal of this innovative crime drama. Most of the minor roles are well-acted as well. The relationship between Henry and Walt is an unusual one for television--a much better 21st rendition of a the "Lone Ranger and Tonto" characterizations than the film released this summer with Johnny Depp, playing Tonto. The production values on Longmire are as good as most feature films. The stories are compelling and the characters are memorable. AMC needs to renew ASAP!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best new crime drama in ages!
Kathy Klitzing3 August 2013
Love this show! I just finished the 1st season & ready to get caught up on season 2. I put this show right up there with the best (i.e. NCIS & Bones). Great characters/casting, good story-lines, beautiful scenery, and some really good soundtrack music! How can you NOT love a show that has the first episode opening up with Steve Earle's "Transcendental Blues"? Robert Taylor totally looks & sounds the part of a western wilderness sheriff. Katie Sackhoff in her best role since Starbuck! And Lou Diamond Phillips...stellar! Great supporting cast too...I love Zahn McClarnon as Mathias. The 'story behind the story' is also intriguing. I hope this show goes on for a long time!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An excellent series with really good acting
cool21716 July 2013
This is one of the best series I've had the pleasure to watch in a long time. Great interplay between the main characters and set in the great outdoors. I've only seen three episodes but all very, very good indeed. By the way,If you're a fan of the C.J Box Joe Pickett books you'll love this series. Robert Taylor's depiction of a taciturn almost grumpy sheriff is top notch and so is Lou Diamond Phillips' character plus a great supporting cast. I have not read the books but they must be an excellent read if they can come up with this. Brings back memories of the great long running western series of years back.PLEASE KEEP THIS SERIES GOING!!! Just great!