IMDb > "Longmire" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Longmire"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Longmire" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Looks promising

Author: bobbyxie1984 from Canada
10 June 2012

I'll admit I only gave this show a chance because it premiered at a time when a lot of shows are on break. I'm glad that I did because this might just turn out to be the next great law show (Justified being the most recent). Have to wait and see how the season turns out.

After watching the first episode, you can immediately tell the producers and writers are keen on character development. With the only about half the episode devoted to the first case itself, you'll learn a lot about Sheriff Longmire quickly. That's not to say you won't enjoy it though. This show is VERY watchable. I actually went back and watched it again the next day. A&E hasn't produced a lot of shows I've enjoyed but I'm looking forward to the episode.

Set in Wyoming, viewers can expect to see beautiful scenery and the pilot certainly did not disappoint in that sense. Native Americans play a major roll in this show and it seems the hostilities will progress throughout the season. The show focuses on old school methods of law enforcement rather than the recent trend of C.S.I. semen under the fridge kinds that have been dominating in recent years.

Give this the show a chance.

Great new show

Author: max843 from United States
10 June 2012

Watched Longmire four times in the past 24 hours - stood up to my personal test! No wasted dialogue, all conversation is relevant to the story line, no unnecessary "action," great scenery, interesting character development....

I think the sheriff may be the Australian actor Robert Taylor - with a terrific American accent. I've seen him in Ballykissangel on PBS and in a couple of UK mystery series but didn't realise he was the same person until I read his credits.

As to the portrayal of Native Americans, I have been privileged to have had a few American Indians as good friends over the past decades. As stated by a previous poster, we all come in all types and varieties. I found the depictions to be realistic.

I love this show!

Author: mduva from United States
1 July 2012

Having been raised in New Mexico, I love seeing a cop show set in the West...... It reminds me of seeing the Sheriff Department's deputies driving out in the desert when I had the opportunity to go target shooting out in the "boondocks" with my brothers. These deputies would be out on the job making sure everything was cool; Longmire reminds me of these guys: good people, down to earth, wise in their ways, and knowing how to do their jobs. I love this show; and Robert Taylor, to me, is the Matt Dillon of the 21st century. I didn't realize Mr. Taylor was Australian until I read his bio. This guy passes the test with flying colors! He acts and sounds like he is from the old American West. It doesn't get much better than this.

great crime drama with a western setting

Author: karen-387-909859 from Louisiana
3 June 2012

Crime, drama, good vs bad, characters and great actors all make for a good story line. There is enough subtle humor to keep it interesting, and the action is fast moving, so that it doesn't get boring. Conflict among the characters make it more real life. There is potential for the development of romance as the storyline unfolds. Some of the characters are recognizable from other major shows, which makes the show even more appealing. The characters display the true western tough-guy, no-nonsense approach to dealing with wild-west crime. The tough-girl on the show makes it even better. I look forward to seeing where the writers will take the various characters in future episodes.

Loved it

Author: Leigh Mitchell from United States
4 June 2012

I really enjoyed the show. It reminded me of a Louis L'Amour novel. I haven't read the books this show is based on, but I plan to soon. I appreciated the pace, and overall feel of it. I felt completely absorbed in the realness of the characters, and really felt like I was in Wyoming. No glitzy computerized special effects, and no unrealistically fast crime scene analysis. I am looking forward to "getting to know" the characters. I loved the little town square, the Wranglers, and the scenery is breathtaking. I also enjoyed the music. Very happy the show includes one of my favorite actresses, Katee Sackhoff.

Robert Taylor--Best Actor Emmy Award...just sayin'.

Author: beckr1 from United States
25 June 2012

I can understand some of the negative reviews. Some of it I agree with. On shows like this, if it is in your wheelhouse, you buy in completely, and I'm there. Some of the supporting characters are over the top, but one thing is for sure, Robert Taylor is amazing. I wish there was someway to get a buzz going on the Internet about a Best Actor nomination for an Emmy.

It's a good procedural and plenty of dramatic elements. I'm never bored and it's quite different from previous attempts at Western cop dramas. I'm glad it's not another fish out of water story like Coogan's Bluff or McCloud. Robert Taylor's screen presence is the glue that holds it all together.

More proof TV is now better than the movies..

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
10 July 2013

We're not in Kansas anymore both literally and figuratively. Literally Longmire takes place in Wyoming. Figuratively it represents yet another persuasive piece of evidence for the view that higher quality product is coming out of TV than the studios these days. Whoda thunk it? Following JUSTIFIED and HATFIELDS/MCCOYS, we have this new entry and it is prime Grade A Entertainment. Arguably a little less showy than JUSTIFIED, it serves up each week a visceral portrait of an old-time lawman in the modern world -- Taylor is brilliant -- along with some intellectual thrills as well. In the first episode, Longmire justifies (pardon the pun) the fact that he was seen "reading on the job" by revealing the book he was reading -- and it's Sherlock Holmes. Recommended to keep your skills sharp, he explains. Also a nice blending of testosterone and estrogen, with Katee Sackhoff and Cassaday Freeman there to remind viewers that the Wild West was not merely a bunch of cranky old guys so macho they could jog home from their own vasectomies. Lou Diamond Phillips, a bit older now, is excellent in a supporting role. If all TV was this good, Hollywood would be out of a job..

ADDENDUM; I just upgraded my rating from a 9 to a 10 as I finished season 1. This show is a jewel. No wasted dialogue, no wasted camera angles, no wasted cuts. Easily one of the leanest productions in recent memory, and possibly should come with a warning that it is addictive. Sackoff's voice contains so many tones and nuances that I Google'd her, turns out she is not only a superb actress but a tier-1 animation voice too. Wow.

Great characters.....great story-telling

Author: anurri from Canada
3 June 2012

I don't know what everyone else watched, but what I watched tonight was great! I loved the main character from the first scene. The other characters are strong and well portrayed. The scenery captures the wonderful open sky in Wyoming with beautiful shots. Plot development moves well and the characters you meet throughout are full and rich. They are real people,with the flaws and strengths that make for dense characterization. If you are looking for a character to pull for - tune in. There is humor and pathos. If you have ever experienced deep grief, then you will most likely 'get' Longmire. I hope you watch it. Great story.

Best new show of the summer, "Longmire"

Author: denisgallagher-430-649241 from Chattanooga tn
22 July 2012

Longmire is an interesting character driven show. With some unique situations and breathtaking scenery, this series deserves a long run. Let's give this show time to develop. The relationships between Longmires daughter and the deputy sets the stage for a possible rocky three way feud. Lou Diamond Phillips, as the bar owner part time tracker, does some of the best acting that he has done in years. The supporting cast is believable and the guest roles have been filled with creditable and sometimes quirky characters that give a different sense of style to each episode. AMC has served up several excellent series and this may just be one of the best yet.

Excellent character development. Very entertaining!

Author: Brynnmitchell from United States
25 May 2013

I had not planned to watch this series, but luckily caught the Pilot. The characters are multi faceted, deep and interesting. The scenery is beautiful. It is wonderful to watch a program that doesn't depend on special effects and empty chatter. Granted there have been a couple of scenes I would have left on the editing floor, but overall, great. I love the Wyoming and Indian Reservation setting. Be careful, you might actually learn something. Robert Taylor is well cast as the sheriff. Personally, I would have loved John Corbett as the Sheriff. I love "Ruby". Is she an actress or a real sheriff office employee? The actors are that good. Louie Diamond Phillips is always excellent. I'm looking forward to the new season.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]