IMDb > "How the Universe Works" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"How the Universe Works" More at IMDbPro »

Absolutely Incredible

Author: freddielburrow from Murfreesboro, Tn
24 July 2012

Simply said, this is the best astronomical documentary that I've seen since Carl Sagan's "Cosmos". And believe me, that is saying a lot considering that I own every astronomy/Cosmos documentary I can find on DVD and/or Blu-ray, including all six seasons of "The Universe" which was my favorite (excluding "The Cosmos") until I saw this. If you are in to watching these type of documentaries and haven't seen this, then I can only say, you are missing at least a year worth of education. The only negative thing I have to say is that season two already isn't as good due to Mike Row not being the Narrator, but that is purely my own opinion and does not reflect the quality or quantity of information given in this season.

Amazing! Must watch

Author: Athungo Odyuo from India
14 February 2012

I tried to watch this documentary to see how educative it is and I ended up watching the whole eight episodes (Season 1) right away till I finished it all. It was simply amazing and very educative. Everything is so well explained and shown vividly using simulation visual where things needs to be explained for absolute lucidity.

This documentary does not just merely explain the factual things that are present and happening in the universe. What is even more about this documentary is that it keeps the mind engaged in inquisition about the whole universe and its system. The eight episodes that is Big Bang, Black Holes, Galaxies, Stars, Supernovas, Planets, Solar Systems and Moon are all interlinked so attentive view is required if one has to obtain maximum clarity. Inspite of the limitations as it requires high end technology for getting deep insights into the working of the universe, yet the documentary used sufficient evidences and experiments it can gather to make even the layman understand.

I highly recommend all those who are into academics and who have inquisitive mind on gaining more knowledge on the working of the universe to watch this. Thanks a lot to those who made this amazing documentary, the narrator and the various scientist of astronomy for their vivid explanation.

Best Documentary..!! Must watch ... A whole new world out there!!

Author: navneetsteotia
10 March 2013

Firstly, I would like to tell you that if you are going to watch this documentary (which you definitely must) then you should watch it in HD. This whole documentary has very beautiful graphics and great interpretation of universe.

Now, I have always been interested in astrology since it the the most curious area of science and the strangest too with the most potential. I have also casually studied a lot of various space phenomenon on the internet. But there is always been a lack of clarity and various questions that have been left out in the mind.(Like when stars are destroyed there is supernova or hyper-nova! but how is black-hole created if the energy is pushed out from the star during that time?). This series is an answer to all such mini-questions in our mind related to universe that are left unclear. This series provides a great educational value too.

One thing this series will do is make you a fan of our universe and science. Giving you a way way way broader horizon in mind which will help you get a neutral perspective towards a certain things.

Once again don't miss this series and do watch it in HD!!

Our Universe is Truly Amazing

Author: Jeff Johnson from Australia
22 February 2014

Incredibly awe inspiring, jaw dropping, heart striking documentary & all the Scientists as well as Mike Rowe are FANTASTIC at explaining our Universe & making an emotional connection, certainly to me. Our Universe is incredibly complex and other programs I have watched have really struggled to get the information across in a way that truly sinks in & fires the imagination. That is not the case with this AMAZING documentary, this is an absolutely must watch for everyone. To think that WE ARE the Universe looking back at itself and asking "Who am I & where do I come from?" I find that an incredible thought. We truly are one people on one tiny marble planet we ALL call home, it's time for humanity to wake up! Alas it seems it really is in our nature to destroy ourselves.

One of the Best on Stellar Mechanics

Author: John Willis
24 March 2014

I've seen a lot of shows about "The Cosmos" and "The Universe" but this one was both brief and simple and I appreciated that. It started at the beginning and got right to the point. The Background Music was original, orchestral and enveloping, it set just the right mood. The Narrator "Mike Rowe" is a convincing "everyday man" who makes you believe there really isn't anything a person can't comprehend with a little effort. And none of the Scientific terms or words ever seem to baffle him. Lending an air of confidence to this journey.. your in good hands with a guy who really knows what he's talking about.

I came away learning a few things I didn't know before. Like "Iron" serves a unique purpose in the Universe and is responsible for all the Super Nova we see out there.

The show didn't really steer too far into the implausible or "fringe" type speculation that SciFi tends to do. It stayed close to the hard science and vividly depicted things like particle physics in a convincing manner. And genuinely? They really did logically connect everything up from the super infinitesimally small to the largest and deepest things in the Universe. Its quite comprehensive and well worth watching.

Simply amazing.

Author: nimrodtangi from Israel
26 February 2014

When I saw the lack of reviews of this magnificent documentary show I had to write something down. In my opinion this is the best show about the the universe and space to date and its taught me a lot of things I always wanted to know about our universe (and I've seen a tons of similar shows before),

Lets begin with the great scientists and theoretical physicists such as Michio Kaku that explaining things we "normal" people wont usually understand in such a nice ways, and the visual effects by LOLA are great too. The show is written very well and the Narrators does a great job (personally I liked Mike Rowe better in the first season). Even the soundtrack fits perfect and I love it. Every time I watch the show its like going to a trip in a bizarre place we humans are just beginning to understand, even in the second and third time you watch it. In conclusion, I recommend this show to everyone not just space enthusiasts. Sometimes its even better or the same as watching a great drama such as Breaking Bad, True Detective etc. you should try it!