IMDb > A Separation (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jodaeiye Nader az Simin

A Separation More at IMDbPro »Jodaeiye Nader az Simin (original title)

Page 5 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Insightful and challenging - a brilliant movie!

Author: Amir Modarres from London Ontario
29 December 2011

At a time of great ignorance in the west of life in modern Iran this film provides some useful insights. I was struck by how similar the issues are in some ways to those of a British couple facing separation, yet also by the extent of the cultural differences. The wife wants to leave the country with her daughter, but her husband has the power to forbid it. The perceptive teenage daughter is caught between her parents, and chooses at first to stay with her father in a desperate attempt to keep her parents together. The wife goes off to live with her own parents, leaving her estranged husband with the problem of how to obtain day care for his father, who suffers from dementia. The woman who is hired for this task through a casual arrangement proves unable to cope. There is a fascinating scene in which, concerned for the old man who is incontinent, she phones an imam for advice as to whether it is permissible for her to help her charge to clean himself. The husband returns home to find the flat empty and his father in a state, and matters turn violent when the carer comes back without a good explanation. In the ongoing dispute, the complexity of the issues is clearly shown, with right on both sides, and one's sympathies are divided.

This is a tightly plotted and entertaining drama, despite the at times grim theme - a kind of middle eastern update of Kramer versus Kramer (American film about a divorced couple with Meryl Streep and Dustin Hoffman) and in my view much deeper. We are thrust into the midst of some very convincing dramatic exchanges. The Iranian justice system is intriguing as we see the various protagonists crammed into an office, arguing loudly with each other and with the official whose task it is to decide on what seems an arbitrary basis who should be charged and who should be held in jail pending trial. Although harsh, Iranian society seems in some ways more deeply moral and concerned with fairness and right versus wrong than our own. Ironically, as in Britain, the better educated and wealthier couple's rights win out over those of the poorer family.

"Separation" is not just a drama with an appeal which crosses cultural boundaries. It also increased my understanding of Iranian culture and deserves to be more widely viewed to break down our ill-founded prejudices.

So far the best foreign movie in 2011

Author: sahlawi from United Arab Emirates
30 December 2011

I just saw this movie and I highly recommend it. The way the story was going totally unexpected and many surprises occur throughout the movie. There is a lot of dialogue and over talking, which makes it a bit hard to read the subtitles, but you will manage to understand regardless. The story of the movie is a one that everyone, no matter what the background is, will relate it. The acting in the movie was extraordinary, all the women and girls did a great job, both young and old were superb.

The movie is also educational, since you will get a glimpse of how Iranians are living their lives in Iran. The religious, societal, and family issues that they go through. Also, what I liked in the movie is that it had nothing to do with the Iranian politics, but of course you will be able to see how the regime affects the people.

A Complex Masterpiece.

Author: BertMacklin_9 from United States
14 March 2012

'A Separation' is quite simply one of the best films I think I've ever seen. Its a film you can't think stop thinking about, and it seems to live with you afterwards.

The film opens with a married couple filing for divorce. Their names are Nader and Simin. Simin, the wife, wants to leave Iran to go to American with their daughter Termeh. She states that she doesn't want her daughter growing up in "the circumstances" of Iran. Nader, the husband, says he can't leave because his ill-father still lives with them in Iran. Right in the opening scene, we as the audience are already forced into a challenging moral dilemma. This is the one of many moral questions we are asked during 'A Separation.'

Soon Simin goes to live with her mother, and Nader and Termeh stay in their house. To look out for his father, Nader hires Razieh, a devout follower of Islam who belongs to a lower class. One day when Nader and Termeh come home, they find Nader's father on the ground tied to the bed. Soon Razieh returns to the house. Nader forces Razieh and her daughter out of his house.

Now it may clearly seem that Razieh is in the wrong. But there is still so much to learn about the characters and the mysteries revolving around this simple event. We learn that Razieh had a miscarriage, and Nader is accused of murdering her unborn child when he forced her out of the house. She claims Nader pushed her and she fell down the steps.

'A Separation' is a very character-driven film, but one thing special about it is its original narrative. We don't see all of what happens, and new pieces of information pop up organically and in inventive ways. 'A Separation' almost plays out as some sort of murder-mystery.

In this film, there are no heroes or villains. These are just flawed everyday people. Asghar Farhadi does a great job of bouncing sympathy between his characters. At one point in the film, you may feel strongly about one character, but when you learn something important about them, you feel a different way. Everything is grey. There's no simplicity. And that is why 'A Separation' is a complex masterpiece. Its a film that forces you to determine what you think what is right, and what is wrong.

Splendid, Extraordinary, Wonderful... you name it!

Author: goran-saravanja from BiH/Croatia
8 March 2012

One of the best movies I've seen in the last couple of years. It just shows you that life is not only black and white. Great characterization, one of those movies where you don't have good and evil characters. It is so deep and well developed, simply filled with greatness and if there was more justice in this world this movie should have won more than "only" one Oscar. Every character is well implemented in the story and it just keeps you in front of the screen until the end. Please see this movie, you won't regret it :) Iran seems to have very talented actors and directors. I'd give 10 to the acting, especially to the young girl Somayah and Peyman Moadi as well. I'm glad I discovered this actor and I hope so to see him in more movies. Really really talented. I promise you, you'll enjoy it. Prepare for the greatness and please see it in the cinema because you'll enjoy it more.

A brilliant movie!

Author: costicosti from Switzerland
2 March 2012

This is one of the very rare movies that manages not to paint the world in black and white. It shows how the personal situations of different individuals as well as their emotions can lead to actions that they later regret. There is no good or bad, the characters are just human, and in their way they are all right and wrong at the same time.

I very much appreciated the complete lack of stereotypes. The story is a very contemporary one about a divorce, like it could have happened anywhere in the world. Being set in Iran the movie gives an insight into everyday life there, but lets the viewer absorb the impressions without pointing finger. To me it corresponded very well to the Iran I have seen.

Strong Iranian film

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
17 January 2012

¨What is wrong is wrong, no matter who said it or where it's written.¨ Critics have been raving about this Iranian film and after finally getting the chance to see it I can see why they were so pleased with this social drama. It is a very well told story with great performances. Filmed mostly with a hand-held camera, the movie feels very authentic and real. At moments you forget you are seeing a movie, and feel like you are watching a real family with real problems. Iranian director, Asghar Farhadi, knows what he is doing and delivers a near perfect film. He captures a glimpse of an Iranian family and lets the camera tell the story. What at first seems like a movie that's going to focus on the separation between the husband and wife later becomes more complicated and interesting when the main character is charged for murder and we see the way the Iranian law system works. We also experience how the entire situation affects the different members of the family. I also liked the final reveal near the ending as I wasn't sure how the story was going to pay out, and it worked really well. Most foreign films tend to deal with social issues since these movies are cheaper to make and they don't count with the costly productions that Hollywood films have to create spectacular visual effects and action scenes. That is why more emphasize is put on the storytelling in order to capture the viewer's attention. The storytelling here is the center of the movie and we truly care for what the characters are going through. We can relate to these people despite their different culture and beliefs. They have to deal with similar issues that most families need to deal with, and that is what makes A Separation a universal movie.

Nader (Peyman Moadi) and Simin (Leila Hatami) are getting a divorce because Simin wants to leave Iran and find better job opportunities in another country. They have been waiting over a year for their Visa to go through and once they finally get it Nader decides he doesn't want to leave the country because he has to take care of his father (Ali Asghar Shahbazi) who has Alzheimer. Simin won't leave without her daughter, Termeh (Sarina Farhadi), but she wants to stay with her father since she knows that if she stays her mother won't leave. Simin ends up moving to her mother's home and since she's gone Nader has to find someone that can take care of his father while he is at work. He hires a pregnant lady named Razieh (Sareh Bayat) who stays at the house while he's off to work. Razieh is very religious and she doesn't feel like she should be working at an adult male's home, but she has to take the job since her husband, Hodjat (Shahab Hosseini), is in debt and without work. One day Nader arrives home only to find the door locked and no one answering. He finds a spare key and enters his home only to find his father lying on the floor tied to the bed. Nader unties his father and gives him respiration and fortunately he survives. In the middle of the chaos, Razieh returns to the house and Nader is so furious that he pushes her out of the door. The next day Nader is called to court since Razieh loses her baby and wants to charge him for murder. This is where the mystery of what really happened begins as both sides try to prove their point.

A Separation recently won the Golden Globe for Best Foreign film and rightfully so because it's a powerful film. It will probably be one of the nominated films for the Oscars, and as much as I liked this movie I still didn't find it as powerful as other foreign films I've seen such as City of God, The Prophet, and The Secret in Their Eyes. This Iranian film is still great, but I don't think it would be on my top 5 list of the year. It's still a strong and memorable movie and probably the best foreign film of the year. The performances are also really great, I really loved these characters and they had real good material to work with. For those people who think everything in Iran has to do with terrorism, then they should definitely see this movie and realize that most Iranians are just normal citizens like everyone else. The one thing that director Farhadi does seem to criticize about his country is the way that the law system works. There aren't any lawyers involved, every man has to defend himself in front of a judge like if they were having a normal conversation. A Separation is a great film and no wonder it became the first ever film to win three Bears from the Berlin International Film Festival. This film is worth checking out, and I would really like to see Farhadi's previous work since I wasn't familiar with him before this.

The best product of Recent Cinema

Author: Farhang Bayat from United States
28 April 2011

Asghar Farhadi amazes me. When I first heard about "About Elly" I wasn't sure what it was going to be like but when I sat down to watch the movie I was literally blown away by the writing, acting and the direction of course. Still, I wasn't sure if he could repeat the same success with "Nader and Simin" and yet again I was blown away.

"Nader and Simin" is more than anything an experience, pretty much like 10 by Abbas Kiarostami was but with acting taking the place of realism and striking even more powerful. The plot for me didn't matter, what did, was the settings, the court scenes and how fluent and realistic every character's actions or dialogs were.

You feel for every character, you laugh and cry with all of them and still you may just as well hate them for no reason at all.

There's also the often presented questions with no answers: Who's the girl going to choose? Who took the money? Who's to blame? and ... and the answer is clear as hell, who cares? As long as there's a great story to tell and an amazing two hours to spend on a splendid product, who really cares?

All in all, I have to admit that this is cinema at its best and this movie isn't at least nominated for an Oscar for foreign language film then I'm definitely losing my whole faith in the Academy Awards for ignoring such a wonderful installment only because of political beliefs.

A powerful realistic drama about arguments and pride and how they can easily get the best of us.

Author: Hellmant from United States
26 February 2012

'A SEPARATION': Four and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

This year's likely winner for Best Foreign-Language film at the Academy Awards (in which it's also nominated for best original screenplay) is this Iranian drama about a couple living in Iran who separate and the complicated problems that arise because of it. It was written, produced and directed by Asghar Farhadi. The movie stars Peyman Maadi and Leila Hatami as the couple and Sareh Bayat and Sarina Farhadi in key supporting roles. The movie is an all around grade A production and a powerful realistic drama about arguments and pride and how they can easily get the best of us.

The movie revolves around Nader (Maadi) and Simin (Hatami) and their 11-year-old daughter Termeh (Farhadi). The three live in Tehran with Nader's father who has Alzheimer's disease. Simin wants to travel abroad in order to provide better opportunities for Termeh but Nader feels obligated to stay in Iran and take care of his father. So when Simin leaves home Nader is forced to hire a caregiver named Razieh (Bayat) to take care of his dad while he's at work. Many more complications and arguments arise when Razieh is hurt on the job.

The movie is said to be an honest and accurate depiction of life in Iran but I found it to be a very honest and accurate depiction of people and life in general, showing how similar we all really are. The disagreements that so easily get out of control in this movie are ones I think we can all relate to. The characters in this movie represent so many in many ways. That's where I think the movie's biggest strength is. The acting, writing and directing are all top notch and combine together to give a very real portrayal of human life and how we all interact with each other.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj0JA1sJBzw

A Judgmental Challenge

Author: shahab_phoenix from Iran
31 March 2011

1.The movie Challenges viewers by making lots of questions about "Law" , "Judgment" ,... in their minds which can obsess one's mind for quite a long time . These questions are formed in viewers' minds and it's remarkable that The answers are not direct and fulsome , in other words you can see a gray layer over the whole movie(There's no pure right and wrong)

2.The actors are completely into their roles and they represent classic roles so that they take viewers in the movie with themselves . "Asghar Farhadi" has been really cautious about all the roles and he's been able to depict the scenes very naturally and believably .

3.The pace is normal , the scenes don't bore you or flash too quickly , and it should be considered as one of it's many good points that make it a brilliant movie .

Iranian Rashomon, so packed with issues that you can discuss it for days

Author: Harry T. Yung (harry_tk_yung@yahoo.com) from Hong Kong
9 March 2012

The proliferation of major and minor awards is no result of chance, but well earned. Almost as real-life as a documentary, "A separation" deals out more issues than you can think of – family relationship across three generations, social class separation, religion, politics, human frailty, selfishness and forgiving, tolerance and intolerance, rigid stubbornness and insecurity….the list goes on – through efficiently constructed scenes and clear, effective dialogue. The performance of the cast is uniformly excellent.

The outwardly somewhat complicated plot and proliferation of characters can be deconstructed first into two core families of three. Middle-class Nader (Peyman Moadi) and Simin (Leila Hatami), husband and wife, plus 11-year-old daughter Termeh (Sarina Farhadi) comprise one. Working-class Hodjat (Shahab Hosseini) and Razieh (Sareh Bayat) with a 4-year-old daughter is the other. The link is through Razieh being employed as a domestic assistant to look after Nader's dementia-inflicted father when Simin moves out to her parent's in protest of Nader's refusal to emigrate, placing the aged father's welfare before the daughter's future. A seasoned moviegoer would immediately see the vast dramatic potentials in this family for the script-writer and director.

With the other family, the predicaments are familiar: a husband who cannot control his temper fails repeatedly to hold on to a job (remember "Airport"?) and turns anti-society, debtors constantly on their back, and a long suffering wife who is pregnant. The key plot element, the conflict between these two families, starts with Razieh's negligence on the job and escalates to her losing the baby and charging Nader with murder, as the foetus is more than a certain number of days old.

While I mentioned Rashomon in my summary line, there is no contrived, convoluted plot. The gradual revelation of what really happened is matter-of-fact. The plot line is not the end, but only the means to anchor all the various human issues I mentioned. Throughout the movie, you'll be completely absorbed in the hopes and fears, aspirations and woes of these people, not because they are melodramatic but because they are convincing. And you'll talk about it long after the movie ends.

This latest Oscar Best Foreign Film is a must-see.