IMDb > A Separation (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jodaeiye Nader az Simin

A Separation More at IMDbPro »Jodaeiye Nader az Simin (original title)

Page 18 of 28: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

Perspective of east side of the world

Author: etkinbyogun from Turkey
5 September 2015

First of all; I have to qualify the director who is Asghar Farhadi. He has a brilliant point of view and approach to facts.. He was observing very well the classical and general problems of east side of the world..And I think, he achieved to reflect to the screen successfully..

If I have to summarize this movie briefly ,it would be that: Fathers have most important role to keep family all together.. Because whole problem derive to father's contradiction between his wife and father.. I think, that's the one of the biggest problem modern era..And then, story is going on..

I strongly recommend this movie because of deeply touched to the human soul..I strongly recommend this movie because of people have to understand that, a separation between parents is mostly hurting the children..

moving and brutally frank

Author: dervish-sedi from Germany
21 February 2015

Something peculiar made me deeply drawn to this film. It was very raw and simple and oh so real I was so indulged in it I almost forgot it was just a movie... apart from the great yet very simple plot it was also the actors with their outstanding performance that charged the movie with this flow of deep genuine emotions and made it roughly analogous to all the absurdity and pain we experience in our lives. One clear example is how we're forced in some way to sympathize with almost each character and not having the ability to judge or categorize any of them under some label.i think delivering this idea with this raw genuine attitude is what makes this film a mind blowing one.

Cinema doesn't get more realistic than this !!!!!

Author: avik-basu1889
30 January 2015

I think it will be slightly unfair to call A Separation just a film. This for me was more than a film, it was an experience. The film is littered with moments where the line dividing fiction and reality in the minds of the viewers get completely dissolved. Any one of us can be involved in the situations that the characters in the movie have to deal with. Any one of us can picture ourselves in the shoes of any of the characters. The director Asghar Farhadi excels in making us a part of their lives and putting us firmly in the middle of the struggles and dilemmas that the characters go through and compels us to mentally imagine what we would have done in a similar situation.

The film at the basic level is a family drama about a husband and wife going through tough times in their marriage with their young teenage daughter caught in the middle. Both the parties have arguments which are completely understandable. Every character is real and the points of views can be easily felt by the viewers due to the masterful storytelling. However Farhadi elevates the film from being just a drama to a subtle social commentary of life in Iranian society in the 21st century which is still tightly enveloped by religious practices and beliefs. Farhadi subtly shows the status and the position of women in his country's society. He shows how even progressive thinkers are bound to feel suffocated at times due to the boundaries and barriers that they are subjected to. What is a sin and what is not in the eyes of God, is a question that looms large in the conscience of the general mass. What he shows is how people can hold assumptions about certain people because of the class of society that they belong to.The brilliant screenplay puts characters in positions where class and background get distorted and they engage in conversations and quarrels by bringing all the issues at the forefront. Farhadi asks us to make up our mind without giving answers himself, and he does so without making any character tough to sympathise with.

A Separation boasts of one of the most masterful performances that I have ever seen from an entire cast. Everyone is brilliant , but for me this film belongs to Payman Maadi and Sarina Farhadi. Both of them convey everything that they have to with their eyes and gestures and when they have to speak, their vocal delivery is perfect.

The film is an absolute treat with masterful directing, masterful acting and an absolutely amazing script. I generally don't use this word very loosely, but for A Separation, I think the word 'masterpeice' can be justifiably used.

That's definitely a separation!

Author: Amir ElShennawi from Egypt
23 December 2014

This movie is just so real. Almost every scene is perfectly made. The movie is full of social issues most of them happen in different societies like getting a divorce and it discusses the reasons that lead to it and, of course, the consequences that follow such decisions. The movie also mentions the problems that happen to the children under these circumstances and the relations between them and both parents. It also contains the relationship between a son and his old sick father. As we know him, Asghar Farhadi made every single moment in this movie thrillingly filled. The movie won an Oscar for best foreign language film and it completely deserves it. And Asghar Farhadi got a nomination for best writing, original screenplay.

This movie is definitely his best so far.

Average movie like many in Slavic countries

Author: peter-laganis from Slovenia
27 March 2017

I've hesitated for a long time, but yesterday I "finally" watched this movie with my wife.

We were both very disappointed and surprised at the same time. It is hard to understand how a movie with such a high rating and positive reviews, could be just (below) average level: - the story is flat and far away of being unique - the acting is good but clearly not to be remembered - the atmosphere... I never felt so uninvolved in a movie like in this one

Even the (praised) parts related to the Iranian culture and religion weren't something illuminating.

Interesting but true... it was like watching some Slavic (ex Yugoslavia, Russia etc) movies from the 80's with a strong emphasis on socialist regime.

In conclusion - a movie I would not recommend to any of my friends.

Painfully realistic

Author: Pancho Diaz
26 September 2014

After one day of watching this movie, its characters and plot are still with me somehow. I haven't been able of getting rid of them, I still think about this movie at randome times of the day. It is such a good movie, the acting is so good and the characters so real! The plot, above all, is breathtaking. It just get getting more complicated, and you never know whose side to be with, and somehow you feel pity for every single one of its character! This is a very sad movie; but realistically sad. It's not sad in the way movies like Life is Beautiful or 12 Years a Slave are sad; the pain that the characters of those movies go through is somewhat spectacular. But the pain of this movie's characters is much more easy to relate with; is as painful as life itself. Because the problems they face are not Hollywood-esque; they are real-life problems. I guess that, being myself a child of divorced parents, I could really relate to the problems involved in the characters' separation.

Another thing that stood out; though I'm not sure if it was the director's intention or the mere consequence of being watched from a Western perspective, is the theme of religion. Though not the main topic of the movie, it is always there. It affects' the character's behavior tremendously, but I guess that's just the way it happens in real life. The theme of social inequity is also present, with the family that sues the main character being considerable poorer, which makes their behaviour much more justifiable.

This is one of the best non-American movies I've ever watched, and it rightfully deserved its Oscar. Highly recommendable!

Beyond the borders of art.

Author: mohsen moradi from Iran
18 May 2014

First of all , i am Iranian and i have to admit that Farhadi made a perfect picture of current iranian society.It is a great achievement for any film to present a fine and honest view of a society.

Asghar Farhadi(the director)is one of the best iranian film makers , perhaps the best in his race and this film is his masterpiece.the story is solid and perfect , acting is good and directing is magnificent.there is no sign of stupid reactions and meaningless behaviors.Farhadi made his story very dynamic and audience never get tired because there is always progress in every single scene.

FOR THE END:MAKE SURE YOU Don't MISS IT.

Simply Fantastic

Author: jackasstrange from United States
25 April 2014

Wow, oh ho. That's how it's done, boys. Simply breath taking. Is easily one of the best films I've seen in the last 6 months or so.

There are many layers in it, is indeed a complex story. But is all told with cleverness. Also, the twists were very awesome. And what is more interesting, perhaps, is the fact that most of the film is left to the viewer's interpretation(since we don't have the facts per see), so therefore you have to ask yourself "who is wrong" and "what really happened?" All in vain, since in the reality what will count is in what you believe and what are your beliefs.

I regret the fact I didn't watch this film earlier. Is certainly the best film of 2011, and now one of my favorites.

An easy 9.8/10.

A must-watch

Author: Bernardo Rapazote Flores
29 September 2013

Little sins that change a life. Who wants to have all the reason will suffer and cause suffering. A fantastic movie with immaculate direction and sublime acting, the tics of elderly well caught (the trembling hands, etc..) and the curiosity and innocence of children, but with attention to every detail equally amazing. Using arguing as an art and as a subject which few filmmakers successfully did and after all, this is a film where tension comes from personality conflict, dialog and body language, not action. And it is not worth it asking how is the end. The answer is irrelevant. The tragedy happened long before you reach the end and there is no happy solution.

A Masterpiece

Author: navid_kia94 from United Kingdom
17 July 2013

What I love about this movie is the fact we all have genres that we are not a big fan of , some of us like the movie to be as complex and as dark as it gets and some of us want the movie to be plain and simple however as I left the theatre and talked to the people who saw the movie with me I was baffled to find out that it didn't matter if you are a movie buff or rarely watch movies . A Separation has this magnet-like quality to it,that makes you so connected to all the characters as they all are standing up for something that you could sympathies with . Nothing is black and white as there is no such a thing as pure evil or pure good and this masterpiece directed and written by Asghar Farhadi couldn't have shown and proved this point more elegantly. In words of the late Roger Ebert A Separation " will become one of those enduring masterpieces watched decades from now."