IMDb > "Happily Divorced" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Happily Divorced"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Happily Divorced" More at IMDbPro »

Good, fresh, funny show

Author: bamalover2005 from United States
9 July 2011

The show is about Fran who is married to Peter. The couple were married for 18 years when suddenly one night after making love, he turns to Fran and says "I think I'm gay." So the pair remain in the same house and began to sort it all out. Once Fran begins to tell her parents, and friends, they all have the same reaction..You couldn't tell? The show jumps ahead six months now, and the two still live together. The challenge is getting on with their lives. Fran begins to date and meets Elliot. The 2 seem to be doing well until one night a drunken Peter slips into bed with Elliot and Fran. This is enough for Elliot and he breaks up with Fran. Frans best friend, Judy, is also great friends with Peter. The 2 often hang out at a gay club. Bottom line, the 2 live together and carry on much like an old married couple still, besides sleeping in different beds. Thats the funny part about the show. They both have a lot of love for each other still. Peter looks out for Fran and Fran does the same. The show stars Fran Drescher, Tichina Arnold, and John Michael Higgins with supporting actors Rita Moreno and Robert Walden as Frans 70+ year old parents with whom she and Peter have a great relationship with. The show is funny, down to earth and simple. It mirror Frans real life ordeal with her long-time husband coming out in recent years. I hope you enjoyed my review and enjoy the show!

I should hate this - but yet...

Author: Parks from United Kingdom
24 September 2011

Other reviewers mention how clichéd the show is. Let me reiterate that point. I just watched an episode in which Fran loses her best friend after the best friend's sleazy new boyfriend comes on to Fran. That exact plot was episode 2 of The Golden Girls 30 years ago.

And it doesn't stop there, the staging, the acting, the timing, the whole thing could have been made in the 80's. But yet the show makes me laugh.

Perhaps what makes it stand out from its peers - those hip sitcoms that are too cool for a laugh track - is that the actors seem to be having fun and seem to like the characters they are playing. Compare this with "Up All Night" in which gifted actors are given characters to play that they clearly don't give a damn about - and neither do we.

"Happily Divorced" is no classic but it's fun for 20 minutes, which is all a sitcom needs to be. Good on ya, Fran.

If you like Fran Drescher, you'll like the show. If you don't....don't bother

Author: gee-15 from United States
24 July 2011

I like Fran Drescher. I like her comic timing. I like her schmaltzy sense of humor. I like her willingness to mock herself in order to get a laugh. I even like her oh so nasally voice. So I like Happily Divorced. The show succeeds or fails based on whether you like Fran Drescher. Lots of people do and lots of people don't. What the show is about is really almost superfluous because no matter what the premise, if you like Fran Drescher, you'll watch it. If you don't, you won't. I like Fran Drescher and I like her new show.

But for those who may not know Fran Drescher the show revolves around a woman and her recently out of the closet gay ex-husband living together, getting on each other's nerves and even sharing a few tender moments. The supporting cast is all good. I like the performances of Robert Walden and Rita Moreno as Fran's supportive but laid-back parents. (When Fran finds out that her parents always believed he was gay and thought that she knew all the time, she yells "Why would I marry a gay man?" Their response?...a shrug.)

So Fran Drescher fans, give it a try. The rest of you, tune in to something else.

love the show, love Fran of course, and look forward to every new episode!

Author: rdwill1 from United States
10 May 2012

The only reason I don't give it a 10 is because sometimes, the writing falls falls short of really being funny, and borders on silly, BUT -- I adore Fran Drescher, and she could read the phone book and I would be entertained, so I hope the show has a long run, so I can get my Fran-fix on a regular basis! As a woman with a "happily divorced" type of scenario myself (not a gay ex, but I think of my "ex" as an EX-tra husband since I am remarried), I appreciate the concept of the show -- and that even though divorced, there are still references to Peter being her husband.

All the cast are great -- perfect comedic timing! I'm happy that Fran and her ex created HAPPILY DIVORCED!

This is the BEST Show Ever!

Author: sunnysmom_1 from Shelby Township, MI
3 July 2013

I love this show! All of the ladies in our Ladies Baking Club just adore Fran and the entire cast. The story lines are excellent, I just can hardly wait til this show comes back on. And if they don't renew it which is a rumor I heard I will NEVER watch TV Land again! Fran and her TV mom and dad are just too delightfully funny! Side splitting humor! I/we give this show a 10/10! Whoever doesn't think this show is hilarious and just an excellent show is an old dried up prude! I truly enjoy the storyline each week, I/we can't get enough of this show. Peter is so cute and adorable and Tichina makes us laugh! But the centerpiece of this story is Fran Drescher! Wish this show came on everyday, but of course I know this isn't possible!

fabulous fun

Author: smiles-618-33195 from australia
25 February 2013

I am not sure if this show is in Australia yet but I have been able to watch it and love it. I am a senior citizen yet still work so coming home and being able to drift off and watch a fun show is invaluable. There are not enough fun shows on TV, ones that you can just watch and enjoy after a busy day. I sincerely hope this show continues as I love to watch Fran and her Lucille Ball like situations. Maybe they are old hat but a good joke, even if old, is far preferable to a new one that is lousy. The actors surrounding Fran are very good and help to make the show very watchable. I love that people from her other show are on this one now and again and it is great to see (Sylvia) Marilyn making a few appearances. Please keep the show going as it is great to have a smile and a laugh after a busy day.

Decent enough

Author: SanteeFats from United States
14 June 2013

This series is on TVLand. This channel now has several comedic shows that are original to them. Happily Divorced is not as funny as their best one, Hot in Cleveland, but it is funny enough for me. Fran Drescher is the main character and this show is based on her unfortunate marriage that lasted eighteen years before hubby figured out he was homosexual. The relationship as shown in the show is a fairly amicable one which I don't necessarily believe happened in real life. Her parents are a very nice surprise with Rita Moreno playing her Jewish mother. There are several friends and neighbors that appear that add some funny moments. All in all I think this a good series and I hope it airs for a few more years.

I know they using the same joke as nanny, but the level up

Author: onatsuki from Hong Kong
28 August 2011

who care they recycle the tacky joke again and again?

but I like Fran so much,

especially she still lovely at her fifty , can't stop repeat watching the joke they create at episode 4.spousal support, the wedding planner helper is your fiancé!

that new joke for me, sorry I am Chinese, please make me something easy listening!

as this situation , Fran and Marc Jacob was the ace level to make you happy and gay! you can still laugh a lot for this, the truth was I can't laugh if I spend $20 to watch a movie such as Pirates of Caribbean this summer and they try to make you laugh but you just feel like a fool and nothing to laugh about in theater! this one...LOL

Breaks my heart

Author: ween-3
3 February 2012

I adore Fran Drescher. She kept me in stitches for years on "The Nanny", she's stone-cold beautiful, she can channel Lucille Ball at will, and she uses her star status to create a terrific platform for cancer survivors like herself. So what's not to love, huh? This show. Pains me to say it, but no amount of talent can save this cast from these scripts.

Fran's been mired in one turkey after another since "The Nanny". It's time for someone to find this woman a serious project, comedy or drama, that showcases what she can do. She's better than this and she deserves better than this.

Who Watches this Show?

Author: steve9964 from Boston, MA
15 November 2012

I found this show reaching to be a comedy when in fact it is far from it. Not funny and even though I have close friends and family members who are gay, I found the show trying too hard with the gay theme. The whole show makes one feel kind of creepy. Who are the people watching this show anyway? And why does my review have to contain a minimum of 10 lines of text? I have never heard of such a requirement. Think I will just cut and paste.

I found this show reaching to be a comedy when in fact it is far from it. Not funny and even though I have close friends and family members who are gay, I found the show trying too hard with the gay theme. The whole show makes one feel kind of creepy. I found this show reaching to be a comedy when in fact it is far from it. Not funny and even though I have close friends and family members who are gay, I found the show trying too hard with the gay theme. The whole show makes one feel kind of creepy.