IMDb > "Grimm" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Grimm"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Grimm" More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 17: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Ridiculous premise, good acting and ultimately fun story.

Author: tafusoy from states
7 April 2013

I was a bit turned off by the premise of this series initially, but I've grown to love it because the actors and producers handle the material thoughtfully.

It's the whole idea of Grimm fairy tales being based in reality that makes it hard to take the show seriously. People running around with magical powers and animal-like affinities that only others like them and a handful of normal people can see. It really is ridiculous, but, if you can look past that bit the show and the episodic story is quite fun--largely due to the part of the actors and producers.

The background story is not as mysterious as the show seems to imply it is, but it's just enough to keep viewers intrigued. Maybe they'll make it a bit more interesting down the road. One of the better shows on network television at the moment, don't be quick to write it off.

Okay for a rainy Sunday

Author: JazzyJay from Denmark
31 March 2013

As the first season started off really promising and exciting, it gets more mediocre in the second Season. As I started watching Grimm, I was really looking forward to it and I really was astonished about the good characters and the storyline. I really was hooked by this new series. Well, then the second season started and what can I say. The storyline just gets weirder and weirder. The character of Juliette is so annoying I hardly can watch her. There is just no way I believe her acting! Also I often wish for the character of Nick or Hank to be more "Badass". I mean, Nick has a whole trailer full of weapons and hardly never uses them. The only thing he uses is his book! Also... I never can take any of the "Wesen" (= Grimm-Monsters) serious. They look like a combination of funny and stupid... kind of like the old Buffy-monsters.

As this is said... Grimm is still worth to give a try. It has some pretty nice characters like Monroe and Rosalee, and as the second season may ruin the series for you, the first one is pretty good!

My result: If you have about forty to fifty minutes and want to watch a new series of this genre... definitely go for Supernatural!

Me love Grimm

Author: chester-30 from United States
20 March 2013

It took watching four or 5 shows to really start enjoying this show. But then it felt like I'd been watching it for several enjoyable years--it seemed like a classic. I'm not a fan of some of the cheesiness of the show, (i.e., monster make-up/cgi) but the artistry and well written (usually not trite) stories are really what I tune in for. It's one of those shows where you really feel like you're a part of the setting--you get enveloped in the stories. There's always a good part of tension to story ratio, and the arcs in the show are reminiscent of some of the good TV shows of the late eighties or early nineties. In a time with unoriginal and bland network television, it's good to be able to tune in to Grimm for something new.

Intriguing, colorful, exciting and sometimes scary!

Author: tais_super from Kazakhstan, Almaty
4 December 2012

What I really like in Grimm is endless fantasy and interesting plot. I admire the courage of these two detectives. The beauty of Portland's nature is spellbinding... Also what I can admit that I fall in love with the main actor - David (Nick), he is so handsome. Most of the series are exciting but sometimes a little overextended, but it's the only one negative thing which I can say. In general once you watch it...you can't get off the screen. But in the beginning I thought that special effects were so poor and even funny, but later I got used to it and now I can say that the quality of this film is rather good and some of the monsters are very scary. Also what I like that there are many different characters and each spectator can find for himself his own favorite hero... For me it's Monroe (the funniest person there)and Prince (very elegant, sexual and mysterious)

Hope this TV show/story will be successful!

Season 2 gets better

Author: Desmond Hume from Australia
4 December 2012

Season 1 was a build up, was OK.. The show is similar in story line to say Xfiles or Sanctuary, but season 2 has moved away from monsters per episode to a more intriguing story. I hope the network keeps going with this show as the plot is wide open and pretty cool

Initially it was like "this really cant go too far" but with the twist, involvement from other characters, it really has become a must watch show. I tend to watch movies on the train heading into work (iPad) but Grimm is worth watching at home.

Great series and cast of relative newcomers/unknowns works well. There are moment of comedy from Munroe, tongue in cheek stuff

Started Out Great But Went Bad

Author: crys vio from Dreamland
18 March 2016

I really loved this show, up until the point where Adalind sleeps with nick as Juliet, what was that, and the outcome of this ,so unnecessary addition, was horrible, it felt like a teenager is taking over the writing. season 4 started good, but there was the loss of chemistry between David Giuntoli and Bitsie Tulloch, which could be fixed by killing off Juliet and replace her with anyone, anyone but Adalind, that is. I really wanted to continue watching this show ,but i had to stop at the ridiculous discovery of Adalind new pregnancy. Monroe, Rosalee and the AWESOME Jacqueline Toboni (AKA Trubel) and last but not least Damien Puckler (Meisner) are my favorite characters, they were all great in every episode.

Trubel spoils the show!!

Author: maxamum from Australia
23 May 2014

Grimm has been one of my favorite shows until the producers decided to add a new character that is so annoying to the point of being unwatchable! I have always thought that the casting director did a great job until Munroes parents who were over the top and opposite to how they should have been! Munroes parents should have been highly educated and multilingual like Munroe and not a pair of red neck bigots who overacted!! Now the show has Trubel, a girl who doesn't know how to eat properly, doesn't listen to anyone and rides along with Nick and Hank while they do their police work.

The actress that they got to play Trubel is painful to watch and its obvious that David, who plays Nick, has to over act his part to make her look better! After 2 episodes, Trubel now knows more than Nick because she read the Vessen books which Nick has been studying for years! I understand that the producers are trying to appeal to the younger audience by adding a young character but although the story line is suppose to be fantasy, it is now idiotic and annoying! Nick tells Trubel to "stay in the car" but before he gets to "the car" she is out and chasing someone! I wont be watching Grimm anymore until the get rid of Trubel!

A solid title with a few highlights

Author: Charles Hamilton from United States
7 January 2014

First off, I want to say I really enjoyed watching the series, because of some good acting and a great implementation of the traditional fairy tales. Not so closely following fairy tales as in Once upon a time, but merely putting 'beings' from them in the normal world works surprisingly well and this makes for some great episodes. However the series is certainly not perfect, especially in the details. I found a lot of times in the series people are forcefully explaining too much about what they are doing, while a lot of gray areas are left open. With this I mean things like:

- How does Nick fight like such a ridiculous bad ass? He doesn't seem to take any fighting lessons.. Is it then because he's a Grimm, so wouldn't that mean that he started developing these skills after he became one? Why is nobody finding it strange he can do that stuff?

- Why doesn't he ask one of the Wesen he knows how they can recognize him? I haven't completely caught up yet but a little ways in season 2 he reveals that he still doesn't know how most Wesen know he's a Grimm.

There are more weird inconsistencies like this and I find the contrast with the forceful explaining quite annoying at times.

Besides that I find that season 2 is moving pretty slow. In season 1 this didn't matter because there used to be a case in every episode so each episode was a story of it's own, but later on I find that the cases are pushed to the background in favor of a main storyline in which stuff develops ridiculously slow at times.

The main reason I enjoy the show so much however is because of all the loose ends left open. A lot of Wesen Nick confronts are revealed to get away, even some whom he thinks he has captured. I have the impression this is getting a bit less in the later episodes but I hope this doesn't mean they are forgotten. Instead I really hope this will come back to bite him somehow, how this should happen I leave in great anticipation to the writers.

All in all I find it a solid series and I enjoy watching it despite it's flaws, especially because of some great characters like Monroe and Juliet. If you like Grimm's fairy tales in it's original form be prepared for a real treat!

You Thought You Would Read This In Fairy Tales!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
15 September 2013

Sure it is a Science Fiction show. But it is like fairy tales that pop up and come out for real, literally. As Detective Nick Burkhardt is a homicide cop who finds out he is a hunter called a "Grimm" who fights supernatural forces, one of the last of them in line.

He fights down creatures that are usually called Wesens. Despite being friends with Monroe, played by the great Silas Weir Mitchell who is one of them.

In addition to his great job, and a great partner in Hank Mitchell, played by Russell Hornsby. And an understanding captain, Sasha Rotz also a Wesen. He has a lovely fiancée named Juilette played by Bitsie Tulloch. All three did not know about his real nature of a Grim until later in the second season.

He had his mom fight with him, an original Grimm played by movie actress Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio.

It is like fairy tales that are coming to life there.

Good first season, bring on season 2!

Author: jeromeconnolly from United Kingdom
10 April 2013

GRIMM – Season 1

'Grimm' follows the life of homicide detective Nicholas Burkhardt (David Giuntoli) as he investigates crimes in and around Portland, Oregon. However, Nick is not your normal run-of-the-mill detective, he is a Grimm descended from an ancient line of guardians. As a Grimm, Nick is charged with maintaining balance in the world, between the humans and mythological creatures known as 'Wesen'.

Throughout the first season Nick not only has to solve crimes and face off against dangerous Wesen but simultaneously keep his Grimm identity hidden from his homicide partner Hank Griffin (Russell Hornsby) and his girlfriend Juliette (Bitsie Tulloch). The latter becomes increasingly difficult as his Grimm life threatens to spill into his personal one.

The show follows a standard 'crime of the week' format with each episode dealing with a crime (usually Wesen related) that Nick must solve. He is aided heavily in this by his Wesen friend Monroe (Silas Weir Mitchell) who is well versed in Wesen lore and knowledge of the supernatural, making Nick and he strike up an unlikely friendship.

Grimm boasts a good array of acting talent right across its main and supporting cast but it is the magnetic Silas Weir Mitchell who steals the show. Mitchell is in inspired form and provides some much needed comic relief to offset the serious nature of the show. Grimm also benefits from some spectacular special effects that would not look out of place in Hollywood! In addition the direction is also very good, whether it is creating a sense of suspense or a fast moving action sequence.

However, Grimm suffers from being too serialized with story arcs being spread over too many episodes. So although the show feels fresh and inventive to begin with, towards the last 6 episodes the novelty has worn off as there are too many stand-alone episodes that feel the same as they do not move the main story along.

As the title suggests the show is heavily influenced by the German folktales written by the Brothers Grimm, with many Wesen sharing a similarity with creatures described in the stories. This makes Grimm become far more than just another police procedural rather it would be described as a blend of cop drama and dark fantasy. Though the writing falls short this is made up by great production acting and directing, all of which remain high throughout the season.

Ultimately this is an entertaining and 'different' cop drama, which provides a welcome alternative to the now stale 'CSI' and 'Law & Order' dramas. Though this season could have been better there is enough here to convince that this show could go somewhere. In addition Season 2 promises to be much more story driven with more emphasis on developing characters as well as increasing the detail and depth of its story arcs. So though it is not an outstanding show for now, it is still a good one and well worth buying.