IMDb > "Grimm" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Grimm"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Grimm" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Do not understand why it doesn't appeal the audience

Author: Shakeela Khan from Karachi
31 December 2013

Supernatural, Once upon a time, The vampire diaries, beauty and the beast etc etc. All of these are superb fantasy/horror TV shows. When I read the description on IMDb, I was attracted towards the show. The story and the way the show is, literally caught my attention.

A homicide detective finding out that he is a Grimm, and creatures in the dark do really exists, and he has to fight them.

In Supernatural, we find two brothers hunting things in the dark, carrying on with the family business. Why? Because they know that jinns, demons, vampires, leviathans do really exist. But here in Grimm, the detective finds out the unknown. Something he was unaware of and scared the crap out of him when he started seeing the true faces. He worried for the girl he loves. He patched up and became friends with a "Blutbad", creatures that are hunted down by Grimm's.

For me, Grimm is a good fantasy/horror show. And the show must go on! TWO BIG THUMBS UP!

'Grimm' Season Two

Author: PrivateBozz from Germany
16 June 2013

'Grimm' is a good show, solid and with heart, its major asset being the numerous likable and interesting characters and the diverse dynamics of their interactions. 'Grimm' is one of few shows that treats its own creations, be it characters or the world it establishes, with respect. And Season 2 does well in expanding the show's mytharc, which has been dormant for the most part of S1, and enhances the show by adding a fascinating background with a nice adventurous vibe to it. All this plus the high-quality acting and the well written dialogue that always rings natural, make this a show that is entertaining, yet can be taken seriously.

There's one big issue I have, though: I believe this show would benefit a lot from interspersing it with episodes that don't feature a case but take the time to focus on the mytharc and the characters. A lot of episodes feel rushed and crammed, many interesting interactions get interrupted by an incident (most often by a phone call), scenes are cut short when imo it would be more effective to linger on a certain topic. This is a feeling I had a lot while watching S2, and in the end it was hard for me to enjoy either MOTW or mytharc, because each took away time and focus from the other. The cases themselves are smart and original, and they are an important element of 'Grimm', but not every episode needs a new case to solve, especially not in S2 where the mytharc becomes more important.

Some other opinions about S2:

I liked Monroe more in S1, and I found the dynamic of the Nick/Monroe relationship much more entertaining when it was this secret liaison, but I know of course that things have to evolve and can't stay the same forever. So in some way I feel it's good where they are now.

Hank is a great character, but sadly most of the credit for that belongs to the actor who plays him. Apart from the story arc where he's struggling with his sanity this character has been completely underused, even more so since he's been briefed in S2. Before he'd been a part of the unaware world that most 'normal' people in 'Grimm' live in, a world that though not showing the complete picture, is the reality for a large part of 'Grimm's society. That's important, and bringing Hank over to the 'other side' has screwed with the show's balance in some way. I only need to look at the police station to see that something's off now, with Sgt. Wu being the only regular there who doesn't have a clue and Nick, Hank and Renard having their secret circle chats. It's not really a complaint, though, because when I ignore the big picture and look at the character of Hank himself I see that it had to happen sooner or later. It's the journey that makes sense for him, and he's also an important part of Nick's life, so it wouldn't be right to exclude him forever.

The same goes for Juliette. There were moments when I thought it was ridiculous how long they dragged out the 'not-telling-her', and I'm really glad it's done now, even though that too influences the show's balance in an unfavorable way. But I loved how she got back her memories, all those Nicks in and around the house was a funny, original and yet totally plausible way of portraying this.

A third revelation in S2 - this time one that has done 'Grimm' overall good - is Nick finding out about who Captain Renard is. Developing the relationship between Nick and Renard is one of the aspects that I'm most curious about at the moment, and I hope that S3 will focus a little on this constellation. Renard has become a fascinating character in S2, and right now he's probably the one I'm most interested in.

I love Nick. Every scene, no matter how insignificant, is fun for me to watch because D. Giuntoli nails it each time with his natural approach, never overdoing it, and by now I see Nick almost as a real being. But Nick in S2 was a mixed experience for me, especially in the second half, because this character, like the show itself, seemed to suffer a little from the lack of attention. It really is my main complaint: please ease it up, writers, let the dogs from the leash so they can run and sniffle around a bit. You created these amazing characters and this appealing world they live in, and I want to explore this for a while and delve deeper into it.

All in all I'm really glad that I gave this show a chance (especially since I thought the pilot was extremely weak), and I can't wait for S3 to start.

A big heartfelt Thank You! to everyone involved.

Okay for a rainy Sunday

Author: JazzyJay from Denmark
31 March 2013

As the first season started off really promising and exciting, it gets more mediocre in the second Season. As I started watching Grimm, I was really looking forward to it and I really was astonished about the good characters and the storyline. I really was hooked by this new series. Well, then the second season started and what can I say. The storyline just gets weirder and weirder. The character of Juliette is so annoying I hardly can watch her. There is just no way I believe her acting! Also I often wish for the character of Nick or Hank to be more "Badass". I mean, Nick has a whole trailer full of weapons and hardly never uses them. The only thing he uses is his book! Also... I never can take any of the "Wesen" (= Grimm-Monsters) serious. They look like a combination of funny and stupid... kind of like the old Buffy-monsters.

As this is said... Grimm is still worth to give a try. It has some pretty nice characters like Monroe and Rosalee, and as the second season may ruin the series for you, the first one is pretty good!

My result: If you have about forty to fifty minutes and want to watch a new series of this genre... definitely go for Supernatural!

Mediocre and unoriginal

Author: ratatatuff from Austria
11 April 2014

Another one of these shows about monsters and fairies. At least there are no vampires... But it's always the same, at the beginning of the show there is some "hunter" who discovers that he has some hidden destiny and then he tries to fulfill it. Here it is a police-officer who discovers that he is a "Grimm" and his destiny is to hunt down monsters. Oh yeah, like we haven't seen stuff like this in hundred other shows... So, what makes this show different?

First it's the language. They decided to let the characters talk in German and in French in certain situations. Actually that's not a bad idea and I give kudos to Sasha Roiz (Captain Sean Renard) for his French. It sounded really okay to me. But the German!!! Who translated or invented these names??? My native tongue is German and although I had no problems to understand the English I needed subtitles to understand the "German" words!!!

But, no wonder... They are not German. They are just stupid. For example, they introduced some goat-people and called them "Ziegevolk". And the actors pronounced it like no German would ever pronounce it. Okay, maybe they weren't eager to play their role properly. Some of the actors made really bad performances anyway... But who came up with the name "Ziegevolk"??? This is ridiculous. You can't just take goat = Ziege and people = Volk and combine it into "Ziegevolk". We have cases in German and it should be "Ziegenvolk". If you think I'm nit-picking, no, I'm not. Because this is not the only mistake they made. How could anyone pronounce "Wesen" the way the actors do in that show??? Names like "Hexenbiest" are just dumb and what the hell is a "Blutbaden"??? And really, why should the resistance call itself "Verrat" (deceit)... These names are just gibberish and sound like a four year old child invented them. Sorry, but I expect a certain amount of professionality from a TV show, even from a low-budget show like this. So, if you watch this show and think that they talk German: No, they do not! (there is one exception: one guy is actually German, so his pronounciation is good, but the others all suck)

And, btw, if these "Grimms" and these "Wesen" came from Germany long time ago, they would either know how to pronounce the words correctly or would have changed them into the language they use in everyday speech. In this case, as the show plays in Portland, English. So, these dumb names are just an attempt to gather some exotic flair. But it's so poorly done that it's just an epic fail.

Okay, the next thing is the storyline. Nothing extraordinary. Same storyline in every episode, just the name of the monster changes. And why does every case have to involve a supernatural being? It seems like there are no normal humans in Portland anymore. Don't get me wrong, it IS possible to constantly thematize the supernatural beings. After all, it's part of the premise of the show. But in that case they should not interfere with the normal world the way they do and the show would have to come up with a believable concept for a parallel society. "Monster kills human, Grimm kills monster" gets really boring after a few episodes. And they produced three seasons like this... And there are other things which I don't like. Like all the events around the Royal Families, the "Wesen" council and things like this. To me it is just too obviously plagiarized. Things like that already appeared in too many bad novels and series. Seen it all and seen it done much better.

Cast: uh, don't get me started... Nick, the Grimm, is mediocre at best. His acting is shallow and boring. His girlfriend Bitchy...oh uh, I mean Bitsie... I wonder what her purpose in this show is, because she's completely useless. And IF she is acting then she is overacting in some weird way. And she is highly unsympathetic. The better ones are Silas Weir Mitchell as Monroe, the werewolf, and Bree Turner as his girlfriend Rosalee. And, of course, Danny Bruno as Bud (the beaver) is really good. It's a shame that he only got a minor role.

Script: Even worse than the overall story is the scriptwriting. The dialogues are boring and sometimes I found myself thinking: "How could you talk like this? No normal person in the world would ever talk like this!"

I don't expect much from TV-shows. I don't care for effects or big- budget productions. But I want to see good actors, a good script and good dialogues. Grimm is a mediocre series which shamelessly steals ideas from every other series and book in the genre. If you like this show I suggest you try and watch "Buffy" or read the "Dresden Files". You will see how this genre is done properly. With good character arcs and good dialogues.

Grimm Puts a New Spin on Crime Dramas

Author: Colleen V from United States
1 December 2013

Although starting out slow in season one, Grimm has become an absolute favorite of mine. Each episode boasts a new crime that needs solving, and it is made better by the fact that we know something supernatural is at work. The writers of the show have the ability to create an entire plot line in one episode that will captivate, while still managing to keep the larger plots of the show moving forward. The main characters of the show have evolved over the seasons we have seen so far, and with the great writing of this show I'm eager to see how their character development progresses. As far as being a crime drama goes, the interest is kept by the plot of each episode, and the villains we meet. We are introduced to new kinds of bad guys in almost every episode; the fact that they're supernatural beings serves to make it more interesting than your normal crime show.

season 1

Author: Bob Doerner
29 October 2013

what's taking so long for season 2 to start, it feels like i've been waiting forever. oh, and NBC, you don't have the best shows in the world to start with, so why are you assassinating one of the best shows you've got and one of the best shows on t.v. for that matter. so what are you waiting for, an invitation? this 1st season was such a delight to look forward to every week not only for the excitement but in looking forward to see what other kind of monsters nick would be hunting and fighting with. my absolute favorite character is the one played by Silas weir Mitchell and i hope to see more of him in season 2. so come on, let's get it going

My whole family loves Grimm!!

Author: sisterlirp from Canada
26 September 2013

What an enjoyable hour of television. I love the quirkiness of it. It is definitely not suitable for young children to watch. The show follows a weekly "formula" but that hasn't hindered the story development one bit. Each week the story is continually expanding. I love the characters,(especially Monroe). There have been some awesome villains on the show! Great dark "vibe" to the story and the settings. One of the of the highlights of this program is the special affects makeup team. It is much appreciated the amount of time the actors have to sit in the makeup chair each week to undergo their Wessen transformation. Looking forward to season three and possibly learning more about the Royals. Keep pumping out the great episodes!

Ridiculous premise, good acting and ultimately fun story.

Author: tafusoy from states
7 April 2013

I was a bit turned off by the premise of this series initially, but I've grown to love it because the actors and producers handle the material thoughtfully.

It's the whole idea of Grimm fairy tales being based in reality that makes it hard to take the show seriously. People running around with magical powers and animal-like affinities that only others like them and a handful of normal people can see. It really is ridiculous, but, if you can look past that bit the show and the episodic story is quite fun--largely due to the part of the actors and producers.

The background story is not as mysterious as the show seems to imply it is, but it's just enough to keep viewers intrigued. Maybe they'll make it a bit more interesting down the road. One of the better shows on network television at the moment, don't be quick to write it off.

Me love Grimm

Author: chester-30 from United States
20 March 2013

It took watching four or 5 shows to really start enjoying this show. But then it felt like I'd been watching it for several enjoyable years--it seemed like a classic. I'm not a fan of some of the cheesiness of the show, (i.e., monster make-up/cgi) but the artistry and well written (usually not trite) stories are really what I tune in for. It's one of those shows where you really feel like you're a part of the setting--you get enveloped in the stories. There's always a good part of tension to story ratio, and the arcs in the show are reminiscent of some of the good TV shows of the late eighties or early nineties. In a time with unoriginal and bland network television, it's good to be able to tune in to Grimm for something new.

Intriguing, colorful, exciting and sometimes scary!

Author: tais_super from Kazakhstan, Almaty
4 December 2012

What I really like in Grimm is endless fantasy and interesting plot. I admire the courage of these two detectives. The beauty of Portland's nature is spellbinding... Also what I can admit that I fall in love with the main actor - David (Nick), he is so handsome. Most of the series are exciting but sometimes a little overextended, but it's the only one negative thing which I can say. In general once you watch it...you can't get off the screen. But in the beginning I thought that special effects were so poor and even funny, but later I got used to it and now I can say that the quality of this film is rather good and some of the monsters are very scary. Also what I like that there are many different characters and each spectator can find for himself his own favorite hero... For me it's Monroe (the funniest person there)and Prince (very elegant, sexual and mysterious)

Hope this TV show/story will be successful!