IMDb > "Grimm" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Grimm"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Grimm" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Okay for a rainy Sunday

Author: JazzyJay from Denmark
31 March 2013

As the first season started off really promising and exciting, it gets more mediocre in the second Season. As I started watching Grimm, I was really looking forward to it and I really was astonished about the good characters and the storyline. I really was hooked by this new series. Well, then the second season started and what can I say. The storyline just gets weirder and weirder. The character of Juliette is so annoying I hardly can watch her. There is just no way I believe her acting! Also I often wish for the character of Nick or Hank to be more "Badass". I mean, Nick has a whole trailer full of weapons and hardly never uses them. The only thing he uses is his book! Also... I never can take any of the "Wesen" (= Grimm-Monsters) serious. They look like a combination of funny and stupid... kind of like the old Buffy-monsters.

As this is said... Grimm is still worth to give a try. It has some pretty nice characters like Monroe and Rosalee, and as the second season may ruin the series for you, the first one is pretty good!

My result: If you have about forty to fifty minutes and want to watch a new series of this genre... definitely go for Supernatural!

Mediocre and unoriginal

Author: ratatatuff from Austria
11 April 2014

Another one of these shows about monsters and fairies. At least there are no vampires... But it's always the same, at the beginning of the show there is some "hunter" who discovers that he has some hidden destiny and then he tries to fulfill it. Here it is a police-officer who discovers that he is a "Grimm" and his destiny is to hunt down monsters. Oh yeah, like we haven't seen stuff like this in hundred other shows... So, what makes this show different?

First it's the language. They decided to let the characters talk in German and in French in certain situations. Actually that's not a bad idea and I give kudos to Sasha Roiz (Captain Sean Renard) for his French. It sounded really okay to me. But the German!!! Who translated or invented these names??? My native tongue is German and although I had no problems to understand the English I needed subtitles to understand the "German" words!!!

But, no wonder... They are not German. They are just stupid. For example, they introduced some goat-people and called them "Ziegevolk". And the actors pronounced it like no German would ever pronounce it. Okay, maybe they weren't eager to play their role properly. Some of the actors made really bad performances anyway... But who came up with the name "Ziegevolk"??? This is ridiculous. You can't just take goat = Ziege and people = Volk and combine it into "Ziegevolk". We have cases in German and it should be "Ziegenvolk". If you think I'm nit-picking, no, I'm not. Because this is not the only mistake they made. How could anyone pronounce "Wesen" the way the actors do in that show??? Names like "Hexenbiest" are just dumb and what the hell is a "Blutbaden"??? And really, why should the resistance call itself "Verrat" (deceit)... These names are just gibberish and sound like a four year old child invented them. Sorry, but I expect a certain amount of professionality from a TV show, even from a low-budget show like this. So, if you watch this show and think that they talk German: No, they do not! (there is one exception: one guy is actually German, so his pronounciation is good, but the others all suck)

And, btw, if these "Grimms" and these "Wesen" came from Germany long time ago, they would either know how to pronounce the words correctly or would have changed them into the language they use in everyday speech. In this case, as the show plays in Portland, English. So, these dumb names are just an attempt to gather some exotic flair. But it's so poorly done that it's just an epic fail.

Okay, the next thing is the storyline. Nothing extraordinary. Same storyline in every episode, just the name of the monster changes. And why does every case have to involve a supernatural being? It seems like there are no normal humans in Portland anymore. Don't get me wrong, it IS possible to constantly thematize the supernatural beings. After all, it's part of the premise of the show. But in that case they should not interfere with the normal world the way they do and the show would have to come up with a believable concept for a parallel society. "Monster kills human, Grimm kills monster" gets really boring after a few episodes. And they produced three seasons like this... And there are other things which I don't like. Like all the events around the Royal Families, the "Wesen" council and things like this. To me it is just too obviously plagiarized. Things like that already appeared in too many bad novels and series. Seen it all and seen it done much better.

Cast: uh, don't get me started... Nick, the Grimm, is mediocre at best. His acting is shallow and boring. His girlfriend Bitchy...oh uh, I mean Bitsie... I wonder what her purpose in this show is, because she's completely useless. And IF she is acting then she is overacting in some weird way. And she is highly unsympathetic. The better ones are Silas Weir Mitchell as Monroe, the werewolf, and Bree Turner as his girlfriend Rosalee. And, of course, Danny Bruno as Bud (the beaver) is really good. It's a shame that he only got a minor role.

Script: Even worse than the overall story is the scriptwriting. The dialogues are boring and sometimes I found myself thinking: "How could you talk like this? No normal person in the world would ever talk like this!"

I don't expect much from TV-shows. I don't care for effects or big- budget productions. But I want to see good actors, a good script and good dialogues. Grimm is a mediocre series which shamelessly steals ideas from every other series and book in the genre. If you like this show I suggest you try and watch "Buffy" or read the "Dresden Files". You will see how this genre is done properly. With good character arcs and good dialogues.

A solid title with a few highlights

Author: Charles Hamilton from United States
7 January 2014

First off, I want to say I really enjoyed watching the series, because of some good acting and a great implementation of the traditional fairy tales. Not so closely following fairy tales as in Once upon a time, but merely putting 'beings' from them in the normal world works surprisingly well and this makes for some great episodes. However the series is certainly not perfect, especially in the details. I found a lot of times in the series people are forcefully explaining too much about what they are doing, while a lot of gray areas are left open. With this I mean things like:

- How does Nick fight like such a ridiculous bad ass? He doesn't seem to take any fighting lessons.. Is it then because he's a Grimm, so wouldn't that mean that he started developing these skills after he became one? Why is nobody finding it strange he can do that stuff?

- Why doesn't he ask one of the Wesen he knows how they can recognize him? I haven't completely caught up yet but a little ways in season 2 he reveals that he still doesn't know how most Wesen know he's a Grimm.

There are more weird inconsistencies like this and I find the contrast with the forceful explaining quite annoying at times.

Besides that I find that season 2 is moving pretty slow. In season 1 this didn't matter because there used to be a case in every episode so each episode was a story of it's own, but later on I find that the cases are pushed to the background in favor of a main storyline in which stuff develops ridiculously slow at times.

The main reason I enjoy the show so much however is because of all the loose ends left open. A lot of Wesen Nick confronts are revealed to get away, even some whom he thinks he has captured. I have the impression this is getting a bit less in the later episodes but I hope this doesn't mean they are forgotten. Instead I really hope this will come back to bite him somehow, how this should happen I leave in great anticipation to the writers.

All in all I find it a solid series and I enjoy watching it despite it's flaws, especially because of some great characters like Monroe and Juliet. If you like Grimm's fairy tales in it's original form be prepared for a real treat!

Grimm Puts a New Spin on Crime Dramas

Author: Colleen V from United States
1 December 2013

Although starting out slow in season one, Grimm has become an absolute favorite of mine. Each episode boasts a new crime that needs solving, and it is made better by the fact that we know something supernatural is at work. The writers of the show have the ability to create an entire plot line in one episode that will captivate, while still managing to keep the larger plots of the show moving forward. The main characters of the show have evolved over the seasons we have seen so far, and with the great writing of this show I'm eager to see how their character development progresses. As far as being a crime drama goes, the interest is kept by the plot of each episode, and the villains we meet. We are introduced to new kinds of bad guys in almost every episode; the fact that they're supernatural beings serves to make it more interesting than your normal crime show.

season 1

Author: Bob Doerner
29 October 2013

what's taking so long for season 2 to start, it feels like i've been waiting forever. oh, and NBC, you don't have the best shows in the world to start with, so why are you assassinating one of the best shows you've got and one of the best shows on t.v. for that matter. so what are you waiting for, an invitation? this 1st season was such a delight to look forward to every week not only for the excitement but in looking forward to see what other kind of monsters nick would be hunting and fighting with. my absolute favorite character is the one played by Silas weir Mitchell and i hope to see more of him in season 2. so come on, let's get it going

Awesome Show but Juliette ruins it all

Author: paigehullchoxie
25 October 2013

Juliette is an annoyance in mostly every scene she appears in. She detracts from the program and could be completely written out. The show is great and I enjoy the unique story lines for each episode. The special effects are good for a made for television show and each character depicted from Grimm's Fairy tales seems to follow the baseline of the original stories. As the story line progresses, there is a departure from original Grimm's tales, but it is probably because the writers are running out of material to base the program story line on. The ten line minimum post seems like a stretch for this website, because my main point was about how the show is great but Juliette ruined tonight's episode as well as many others, she just doesn't quite fit in. Time to write her out!

My whole family loves Grimm!!

Author: sisterlirp from Canada
26 September 2013

What an enjoyable hour of television. I love the quirkiness of it. It is definitely not suitable for young children to watch. The show follows a weekly "formula" but that hasn't hindered the story development one bit. Each week the story is continually expanding. I love the characters,(especially Monroe). There have been some awesome villains on the show! Great dark "vibe" to the story and the settings. One of the of the highlights of this program is the special affects makeup team. It is much appreciated the amount of time the actors have to sit in the makeup chair each week to undergo their Wessen transformation. Looking forward to season three and possibly learning more about the Royals. Keep pumping out the great episodes!

You Thought You Would Read This In Fairy Tales!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
15 September 2013

Sure it is a Science Fiction show. But it is like fairy tales that pop up and come out for real, literally. As Detective Nick Burkhardt is a homicide cop who finds out he is a hunter called a "Grimm" who fights supernatural forces, one of the last of them in line.

He fights down creatures that are usually called Wesens. Despite being friends with Monroe, played by the great Silas Weir Mitchell who is one of them.

In addition to his great job, and a great partner in Hank Mitchell, played by Russell Hornsby. And an understanding captain, Sasha Rotz also a Wesen. He has a lovely fiancée named Juilette played by Bitsie Tulloch. All three did not know about his real nature of a Grim until later in the second season.

He had his mom fight with him, an original Grimm played by movie actress Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio.

It is like fairy tales that are coming to life there.

Good first season, bring on season 2!

Author: jeromeconnolly from United Kingdom
10 April 2013

GRIMM – Season 1

'Grimm' follows the life of homicide detective Nicholas Burkhardt (David Giuntoli) as he investigates crimes in and around Portland, Oregon. However, Nick is not your normal run-of-the-mill detective, he is a Grimm descended from an ancient line of guardians. As a Grimm, Nick is charged with maintaining balance in the world, between the humans and mythological creatures known as 'Wesen'.

Throughout the first season Nick not only has to solve crimes and face off against dangerous Wesen but simultaneously keep his Grimm identity hidden from his homicide partner Hank Griffin (Russell Hornsby) and his girlfriend Juliette (Bitsie Tulloch). The latter becomes increasingly difficult as his Grimm life threatens to spill into his personal one.

The show follows a standard 'crime of the week' format with each episode dealing with a crime (usually Wesen related) that Nick must solve. He is aided heavily in this by his Wesen friend Monroe (Silas Weir Mitchell) who is well versed in Wesen lore and knowledge of the supernatural, making Nick and he strike up an unlikely friendship.

Grimm boasts a good array of acting talent right across its main and supporting cast but it is the magnetic Silas Weir Mitchell who steals the show. Mitchell is in inspired form and provides some much needed comic relief to offset the serious nature of the show. Grimm also benefits from some spectacular special effects that would not look out of place in Hollywood! In addition the direction is also very good, whether it is creating a sense of suspense or a fast moving action sequence.

However, Grimm suffers from being too serialized with story arcs being spread over too many episodes. So although the show feels fresh and inventive to begin with, towards the last 6 episodes the novelty has worn off as there are too many stand-alone episodes that feel the same as they do not move the main story along.

As the title suggests the show is heavily influenced by the German folktales written by the Brothers Grimm, with many Wesen sharing a similarity with creatures described in the stories. This makes Grimm become far more than just another police procedural rather it would be described as a blend of cop drama and dark fantasy. Though the writing falls short this is made up by great production acting and directing, all of which remain high throughout the season.

Ultimately this is an entertaining and 'different' cop drama, which provides a welcome alternative to the now stale 'CSI' and 'Law & Order' dramas. Though this season could have been better there is enough here to convince that this show could go somewhere. In addition Season 2 promises to be much more story driven with more emphasis on developing characters as well as increasing the detail and depth of its story arcs. So though it is not an outstanding show for now, it is still a good one and well worth buying.

Ridiculous premise, good acting and ultimately fun story.

Author: tafusoy from states
7 April 2013

I was a bit turned off by the premise of this series initially, but I've grown to love it because the actors and producers handle the material thoughtfully.

It's the whole idea of Grimm fairy tales being based in reality that makes it hard to take the show seriously. People running around with magical powers and animal-like affinities that only others like them and a handful of normal people can see. It really is ridiculous, but, if you can look past that bit the show and the episodic story is quite fun--largely due to the part of the actors and producers.

The background story is not as mysterious as the show seems to imply it is, but it's just enough to keep viewers intrigued. Maybe they'll make it a bit more interesting down the road. One of the better shows on network television at the moment, don't be quick to write it off.

Page 5 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]