IMDb > "Grimm" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Grimm"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Grimm" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Interesting mythology, well-developed characters.

Author: abbadon-hades
31 August 2012

The protagonist is a detective with Portland PD, who inherits an ability to recognize fairytale creatures, that hide behind a human appearance. His entry into this hidden world means that he has to lead a double life,pretending that everything is normal when around his girlfriend and his colleagues,while in secret attempting to bring the supernatural culprit(always the case) to justice.He gradually finds friends also among the mythological creatures,and one in particular becomes his sidekick.

I like this series for several reasons. First off because it presents an immersive universe,that has certain similarities with True Blood, but still feels unique.The series is also constructed in a way that builds tension gradually,and that lets us get to know the characters well.In addition this series allows for grey areas. The hero's actions are sometimes driven purely by selfish motives,and the villains are not always as bad as they seem at first glance.But the best thing about this show is that it doesn't allow the story to fall into a pit of despair, which in my opinion is the biggest flaw with a show like Supernatural. Instead, in Grimm the protagonist has a sidekick that infuses it all with a healthy dose of humor and lightness.Something that is important to balance out all the darkness.

WAS a good show (Spoilers)

Author: bsmyth-64829
19 January 2016

This was a pretty good show until they ran out of things to do and had Adelind sleep with Nick while looking like Juliette. I was prepared to let the non-fairy tale monsters and random super hero powers go but when they did that it destroyed the show for me. I mean seriously? They couldn't have this show just be about him and his friends taking out the bad monsters, finding out what was at the end of the map, and keeping the royals from taking over. No, they had to make you hate it. The first three seasons were good for the most part. Good twists to the story, small surprises you weren't expecting but for me they destroyed this show at the end of season three.

Awesome first season. Then too cliché.

Author: Jade Saelee from United States
18 March 2013

The first season was very promising. The special effects was terribly lacking and the make-up was cheesy, but that was acceptable. I loved how it didn't get too into the gore and had a focus on the fairytale concept being injected into modern times. It was exciting and though not completely new concept, it was well executed. I think the bit of originality it possessed surpassed the other fairytale show "Once Upon a Time."

Second season however...The whole amnesia thing was...palatable...until they introduced the love triangle. This isn't daytime television. If they had, instead, made Juliette Silverton a more intelligent character (she had the potential), a more powerful character and backing up Nick (as Monroe has), it would have been an incredible (but rewarding) endeavor. Instead, they chose to make her fall too far into the trap of the cliché damsel in distress. Nick had already saved her from the dragon's lair and that was done well, but the amnesia bit coupled with a love triangle was a little too much. I understand the reasoning behind it, but it was poorly executed. I stopped watching it since. I just couldn't stomach it.

Lots of Fun (Mostly), But...

Author: Mynameisroman from Germany
8 August 2016

Its hard to explain Grimm. Its not like Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Supernatural. Its different somehow. Maybe more silly than most shows. Especially when you are from Germany its sounds silly when hearing the cast speak all those German words like Blutbad or Fuchsbau. Also they could put more Effort in it when they are speaking German in some scenes. you really hear it if they don't know what they are saying and just act like they do. Also the CGI Effects do sometimes look cheap. Apart from those things if they don'b bother you too much the show is actually really nice. Of course not as good a Supernatural or Buffy but still interesting enough. Each week there is another "Wesen" (a German would say "Thing" or "Creature" in English) they hunt. You get the typical plot lines you expect from such a show but the writing is always very predictable. Like most shows when you started watching it you keep going and want to know how the story continues. for me personally its always a small line between "why am i watching this" and "i want to see more". So it you like shows like Buffy and Supernatural and don't mind it to be very silly at time you might try out this one. If not then better stay away

Please do your homework before insulting someones culture

Author: Simona Moon
7 June 2016

In season 2 episode 18, the gypsies are speaking the wrong language! The gypsies around Europe speak their own language that descended from India, every group has a dialect, it has nothing in common with the Romanian language. It is an insult to every gypsy to be mistaken like that. Hollywood, please do your homework and stop insulting such a vast culture and limiting it to a territory that has nothing to do with the language! How can a show be so documented about the German folklore and so less about other European cultures? This is very insulting on so many levels! It is not the only American show that makes this huge mistake and I know that there are people very upset about this situation!

Season Finale

Author: trajan96 from New York
22 May 2016

Grimm is a fascinating series. The cast is first rate and the Portland setting perfect. I think the show could ascend to even greater heights if it stays on the air. Nick could stand to become a bit more powerful, Hexanbeast like, to really be worthy of the fear the Grimm name allegedly strikes in to the hearts of Vessen. The fight scenes could be improved technically and accelerated as well. Also I think Sean Renard is much more appealing as Nick's ally than his enemy. There is something innately noble about him if he can overcome his demons. The Black Claw world domination arc has a ton of possibilities, as does the entire nether world of mystical forces. Here's hoping Grimm gets a chance to broaden its horizons.

'Grimm' Season Two

Author: PrivateBozz from Germany
16 June 2013

'Grimm' is a good show, solid and with heart, its major asset being the numerous likable and interesting characters and the diverse dynamics of their interactions. 'Grimm' is one of few shows that treats its own creations, be it characters or the world it establishes, with respect. And Season 2 does well in expanding the show's mytharc, which has been dormant for the most part of S1, and enhances the show by adding a fascinating background with a nice adventurous vibe to it. All this plus the high-quality acting and the well written dialogue that always rings natural, make this a show that is entertaining, yet can be taken seriously.

There's one big issue I have, though: I believe this show would benefit a lot from interspersing it with episodes that don't feature a case but take the time to focus on the mytharc and the characters. A lot of episodes feel rushed and crammed, many interesting interactions get interrupted by an incident (most often by a phone call), scenes are cut short when imo it would be more effective to linger on a certain topic. This is a feeling I had a lot while watching S2, and in the end it was hard for me to enjoy either MOTW or mytharc, because each took away time and focus from the other. The cases themselves are smart and original, and they are an important element of 'Grimm', but not every episode needs a new case to solve, especially not in S2 where the mytharc becomes more important.

Some other opinions about S2:

I liked Monroe more in S1, and I found the dynamic of the Nick/Monroe relationship much more entertaining when it was this secret liaison, but I know of course that things have to evolve and can't stay the same forever. So in some way I feel it's good where they are now.

Hank is a great character, but sadly most of the credit for that belongs to the actor who plays him. Apart from the story arc where he's struggling with his sanity this character has been completely underused, even more so since he's been briefed in S2. Before he'd been a part of the unaware world that most 'normal' people in 'Grimm' live in, a world that though not showing the complete picture, is the reality for a large part of 'Grimm's society. That's important, and bringing Hank over to the 'other side' has screwed with the show's balance in some way. I only need to look at the police station to see that something's off now, with Sgt. Wu being the only regular there who doesn't have a clue and Nick, Hank and Renard having their secret circle chats. It's not really a complaint, though, because when I ignore the big picture and look at the character of Hank himself I see that it had to happen sooner or later. It's the journey that makes sense for him, and he's also an important part of Nick's life, so it wouldn't be right to exclude him forever.

The same goes for Juliette. There were moments when I thought it was ridiculous how long they dragged out the 'not-telling-her', and I'm really glad it's done now, even though that too influences the show's balance in an unfavorable way. But I loved how she got back her memories, all those Nicks in and around the house was a funny, original and yet totally plausible way of portraying this.

A third revelation in S2 - this time one that has done 'Grimm' overall good - is Nick finding out about who Captain Renard is. Developing the relationship between Nick and Renard is one of the aspects that I'm most curious about at the moment, and I hope that S3 will focus a little on this constellation. Renard has become a fascinating character in S2, and right now he's probably the one I'm most interested in.

I love Nick. Every scene, no matter how insignificant, is fun for me to watch because D. Giuntoli nails it each time with his natural approach, never overdoing it, and by now I see Nick almost as a real being. But Nick in S2 was a mixed experience for me, especially in the second half, because this character, like the show itself, seemed to suffer a little from the lack of attention. It really is my main complaint: please ease it up, writers, let the dogs from the leash so they can run and sniffle around a bit. You created these amazing characters and this appealing world they live in, and I want to explore this for a while and delve deeper into it.

All in all I'm really glad that I gave this show a chance (especially since I thought the pilot was extremely weak), and I can't wait for S3 to start.

A big heartfelt Thank You! to everyone involved.

Grimmy tales

Author: esteband-96438 from Argentina
30 December 2015

Grimm is the kind of series that you can watch overnight without sleep. Its interest rate generated in the viewer something that few series generated. With original stories and mediocre effects , it earns a place within best fantastic series I've ever seen . Performances are very well both major and second actors. Seasonal closures leave you hungry for more something that i hate not to pass on another show. It has its well deserved score and I recommend it as fundamental to the series fan. Why not a 10 score? Its main objective was to achieve a series related to the stories of the Brothers Grimm , this idea She scrubbed by passing the series. Sometimes their effects Special leave much to be desired.

baby is already 2 months old or older

Author: Zelda Link from usa
8 November 2015

Adelind just had a baby 2 days ago and the baby already his umbilical cord is healed. It takes longer than a week for this to happen, they should have the baby wear something to wear covering his tummy, oops, someone did not think of this, makes the episode hard to believe that the baby was just born. sometimes they need to proof view prior airing the episode. the director should have caught this when scene was done. I still love the show, is different. I can only imaging how horrifying can be if these monsters were really true. I never care for Juliette, I like adelind better for nick if she truly becomes a good person. I can only hope.

The trailer

Author: rumexking from London
29 July 2015

Very good in the level of progression of the knowledge of the crew but the only issue or strange thing is the trailer because looks like a "doctor who" again with the expanding size maybe a change of the size to make it look more realistic. The integration of a variety of languages are also very properly done so as to convey a good amount of semantics through the languages with a multinational approach, however, the focus is too much to Austria. It is evident that viewers appreciate relative Geo-locational representation so if the series would like to improve on client base although it would be insane to represent every country in this world continental representation might be also a good development.