IMDb > "Grimm" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Grimm"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Grimm" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Never Knew Portland was so Dangerous

Author: view_and_review from California
12 March 2015

So far I've seen two full seasons so I have a large sample size for my review. Grimm immediately reminded me of Supernatural. For those who haven't seen that show, it is about two brothers that chase down ghosts, demons and monsters from legends and otherwise. I liked Supernatural for a few seasons then the characters kept coming back to life too much for me and they started introducing angels and other religious esoteric stuff.

Grimm has the same feel. Obviously loosely based upon the Grimm brothers' fairy tales, we are led to believe that the fairy tales are depictions of real creatures. Most people cannot see these creatures, known as wessons, but the Grimms can. The main character, Detective Burkhart, is a descendant of the Grimms hence he has the uncanny ability to see the wessons that hide amongst us.

The show offers some excitement and tension. With each witnessed wesson we find out more about them and about the Grimms. Now that I've completed two seasons and started season three the show has reached a saturation point for me. Now they've had a ghost, a "god", a fairy and other creatures. Furthermore, everyone in detective Burkhart's inner circle knows about wessons, Grimms, the trailer and just about everything. So, essentially there is a wesson-busters/savers team that has been formed. Not what I care to see. It was good when it was just he and Monroe solving these wesson related crimes. It actually added some intrigue that he had to lead a double life and keep his true identity secret from everyone, even his fiancée. That intrigue is gone so now the show has just taken on a regular crime drama feel with wessons being the criminals and victims.

So far all of the events have taken place in Portland. This is where Supernatural was so much better. Portland has had dozens of murders and unexplained events that are all wesson related. Spread that over and entire country, as was done in Supernatural, and it can be overlooked or ignored... put that all in one relatively big city and you should have a LOT of unwanted attention in that city. I mean, we're talking about Portland not Detroit. I just think it's absurd that just about every type of wesson, even the rare ones, have made their way to Portland. If there are that many in Portland wreaking havoc how many are in New York, L.A. or Chicago??? Somehow the writers have to come up with a way to expand the area of activity. Either that or move it from Portland to a more believable area for crazy and savage murders.

The show was entertaining for the first two seasons but now it has lost its appeal. Every week is a similar situation with different wessons. I can see that the show is going toward an ever expanding universe of wessons just to maintain some type of freshness. They've been in water, on land and underground. They need only take to the sky to have all terrain covered.

Fairy tales for grown-ups

Author: The Couchpotatoes from Belgium
16 February 2015

I am divided in two for this series. It's not exceptionally good neither really bad. The first season was a little bland and then I kind of enjoyed it a bit more. But there are still things that bugs me in this show like is half of the city of Portland a Wesen or what? Every time there is a killing it's a Wesen, and every time it's a different one, and if you have to believe Monroe every time this one is the most dangerous one. It's kind of repetitive and after a while it starts bugging you. But the worst part for me is Juliette, Nicks wife, played by Bitsie Tulloch. Is it just me or is she a really bad actress? I can't stand her, every episode I hope she dies. The rest of the actors are okay but nothing more. I just continue watching it because I like the transformations and the storyline is okay. It got a little better the last seasons apart of Bitsie Tulloch then... And again, this is not horror but fantasy. Don't get it why they categorize it in the horror section...

An entertaining take on fairytale monsters

Author: s3276169
31 January 2015

Grimm as the name implies is a fairy tale take on the monster hunter genre.

Cast in a similar vein to Supernatural, Grimm focuses on a monster hunter called a"Grimm" who is able to see beyond our world into another world populated by magical and mystical creatures. The interesting twist in Grimm is not all of the so called "monsters" turn out to be bad. Indeed, they are not really monsters at all but a secretive sub culture of human hybrid creatures known as "Vessen".

Grimm is an enjoyably creepy series that does not take itself too seriously.The development of storyline is cleverly managed, there is the real sense that the world we see is only superficial and there is another world waiting to be discovered.

The acting too is good. There is real chemistry between the cast members and its nice to see the lead happily share the spotlight.

Eight out of ten from me.

A slower fantasy drama that is pretty good most of the time.

Author: Shopaholic35 from Australia
8 March 2014

I do like this show. If you are into the supernatural then this is a good one for you. I love the fact that they don't rely on your typical fantasy creatures like vampires and werewolves but instead delve into the entire supernatural creature gene pool. Nearly each week a new creature is introduced and weaves it's way into it's place within the fantasy community.

As this show is a little slow it is more suited to a fantasy drama category then action. But it does have a horror element that makes the show darker and creepier. If you are looking for something with guts and 100% fierceness then you may not like this show. That is the reason I only rated it 7/10. Most episodes are great but occasionally you get a really boring one that drags down the show. I would suggest you stick with it though as it remains fairly strong and entertaining.

....booring!

Author: kikkapi20 from usa
20 May 2016

When the previews first aired for Grimm on NBC, I thought this would be my kind of show - Dark, Supernatural, Fairy Tales. Sounded good. However, during the first episode spending a lot of time yawning. I was bored. The idea is great - Nick discovers that he comes from a long line of "grimms" that police the supernatural creatures of the world. And the show imploys that the Brothers Grimm where such hunters, and that is how they gained material for their much-loved fairy tales. So, yeah, cool idea. The problem is the execution. The acting is wooden - especially from David Giuntoli, the actor who plays "Nick." Giuntoli is one of the most boring leading men - I have no idea why anyone would cast someone with so little charisma. The production value is low, as most of the monsters look ridiculously fake, but worst of all the show lacks any real wit or charm. For "hunters"-of-evil type shows, stick with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Supernatural and The X-Files. Grimm offers nothing new or fresh. Truly disappointing.

Weirdly Good

Author: katiefrerichs from United States
15 November 2015

I'm not going to lie but it took me a few episodes to really get interested in this show and once I started to get use the characters and the unique storyline it actually started to get better. Originally when I started watching this show, I thought was going to be similar to ONCE but I was totally wrong. It is more darker and deals more with crime. I thought it was an interesting twist that it incorporated German culture and language and also using a lot of the terms for the classifications of "Wesen" are also mainly in German. It took me a while to get use to the characters for in the beginning they seem kind of flat but the more you get use to them you start to empathize with them or at least most of them. For the most part, I think it is an interesting show with a unique plot line and characters although I will say it takes some getting use to but overall I am starting to enjoy it.

Attractive, neat, and addictive

Author: Michael OldTestament Bonner from D.C.
18 August 2014

So here is a real review without spoilers. This show is amazing. I was recently bedridden for a month due to a neck surgery and needed to stream some shows to pass the time. Episode one season one I admit, seemed hokey. In all honesty I didn't realize this show was for me until midway through the first season, but as I got deeper in, I realized the first few episodes were created for clarity and allowing you to fall in love with the characters. This is a show you must commit to, but you will not be disappointed. It holds far more mystery than supernatural, Sam and Dean are two of my favorites, but supernatural only allows for you to fall in love with those two (and maybe Casteal). I digress, in Grimm the show doesn't only focus on the main character, the show allow you to fall in love with and be intrigued by the story lines of literally 10 other co stars. Really it is 10 different shows in one, but not at all confusing. It includes mysticism by including royal families controlling secret orders, the tween love story is kept to an acceptable minimum, and though it is based on old fairy tales, the show is oddly easy to relate to. Beware though, this show doesn't close out its seasons, every season finale is a huge cliffhanger, which I love and hate at the same time. I have watched this show evolve into one of the best and am eagerly awaiting the next season, the good news is you can currently stream the first two seasons for free, so trying it out will cost you only time and popcorn. I dare you, watch the first two seasons and you will be hooked. The show will pluck each one of your emotions, which is what makes it great.

Its a grower and not a shower

Author: Pixie Darby from Bristol
17 July 2014

**** Unsure what constitutes as a spoiler – I wont be talking about individual plots or anything that happens to the characters ****

When I watched the first couple of episodes I wasn't sure if I liked it. I generally like this kind of genre but the way the 'demons type characters' show their true identity I found a bit cheesy at first.

I think this series is made good by the character of Munroe, as I fell more in love with the characters I fell more in love with the series. The main character is a bit too stereotypical for my liking so I'm glad Munro is in all of the episodes.

I don't feel the NEED to get home and watch this and crave more when a episode is over, which is a sign to me that I'm obsessed with a show. However, it is what it is, entertaining but don't expect to be hooked on it.

=)

Awesome Show but Juliette ruins it all

Author: paigehullchoxie
25 October 2013

Juliette is an annoyance in mostly every scene she appears in. She detracts from the program and could be completely written out. The show is great and I enjoy the unique story lines for each episode. The special effects are good for a made for television show and each character depicted from Grimm's Fairy tales seems to follow the baseline of the original stories. As the story line progresses, there is a departure from original Grimm's tales, but it is probably because the writers are running out of material to base the program story line on. The ten line minimum post seems like a stretch for this website, because my main point was about how the show is great but Juliette ruined tonight's episode as well as many others, she just doesn't quite fit in. Time to write her out!

Interesting mythology, well-developed characters.

Author: abbadon-hades
31 August 2012

The protagonist is a detective with Portland PD, who inherits an ability to recognize fairytale creatures, that hide behind a human appearance. His entry into this hidden world means that he has to lead a double life,pretending that everything is normal when around his girlfriend and his colleagues,while in secret attempting to bring the supernatural culprit(always the case) to justice.He gradually finds friends also among the mythological creatures,and one in particular becomes his sidekick.

I like this series for several reasons. First off because it presents an immersive universe,that has certain similarities with True Blood, but still feels unique.The series is also constructed in a way that builds tension gradually,and that lets us get to know the characters well.In addition this series allows for grey areas. The hero's actions are sometimes driven purely by selfish motives,and the villains are not always as bad as they seem at first glance.But the best thing about this show is that it doesn't allow the story to fall into a pit of despair, which in my opinion is the biggest flaw with a show like Supernatural. Instead, in Grimm the protagonist has a sidekick that infuses it all with a healthy dose of humor and lightness.Something that is important to balance out all the darkness.