IMDb > "Grimm" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Grimm"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Grimm" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Watch Grimm! You won't regret

Author: Level4 from South Africa
19 August 2014

When I stumbled upon this show I was immediately attracted to the premise: mythology and folktales from the pens of the Grimm brothers tweaked to modern television cop drama with dark undertones. I almost gave up after only watching the first four episodes. Grimm came across as a cheap 80s horror flick with the poor CGI "creatures" and slow story line. Hence my surprise when I saw the high rating and positive reviews on IMDb. I decided to do a detailed perusal of the user reviews and message board discussion with the hope of reading something that will convince me to continue with the series. One reviewer mentioned something about the series getting really interesting from episode 10, so I decided to keep on watching. I've not regretted it! Grimm indeed becomes an addictive and captivating watch. Moreover, there must have been a budget increase because the CGI quality looks much better then in the earlier episodes.

At first I didn't care much about Nick the main character, but he truly becomes a multilayered character that the viewer roots for, sympatize with, finds annoying, upsetting, et cetera. Like many other series, the writers creates space to focus on the supporting characters. In most series they just skim over individual story lines of the supporting cast that leaves one thinking why they even wasted the air time. In Grimm, the secondary plot directions that center around the supporting cast (especially Monroe and Juliette) makes for satisfactory and emotional viewing.

I personally became appreciative of the carefully placed social commentary about self-acceptance and ethnocentrism that underline the plot of some episodes. I think lots of viewers can relate to the messages. Anyway, enjoy!

Less single-episode creatures, more creature/story development

Author: Mike-DD from Singapore
22 March 2014

This show started really well for me - almost a 10/10 in the beginning. It has a good main plot - a detective with special skills unmasking the various criminal Wesen in his hometown, who is also the target of several factions with their own agenda.

In the beginning, there are lots of single episodes which deal with only a single kind of criminal Wesen. This is good as it gives us a feel of the different creatures, as well as help slowly develop the characters of the main recurring Wesen cast. But now that there are other story lines developing from the main one: the Royal Family, the baby, the Resistance, the treasure map, his mother's activities, etc, I felt the show should now spend less, if any, time on single-episode creatures that have no bearing on the future of the show. It's a distraction from developing the main and other story lines.

But the show still manages to maintain my interest because it continues, albeit slower than I like, to develop the subplots into something potentially good. And the new creatures that are sometimes introduced are interesting, though I hope any new ones from now on actually have an impact on the current developing story lines.

Dissatisfied and upset by the current story-writing and general direction of the story.

Author: Zaron DarkStar
1 November 2014

When this show started out, I loved it. I thought it was very worthy addition to the lexicon of all that is Grimm. Also, I don't like spoilers if I can avoid them, but this is a review about specific, recent story elements, so spoilers are unavoidable. So, WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD! So, I think that in season 3, episode 18, the story took a major turn for the worse. It was so stupid I almost stopped watching it altogether. I am of course referring to the elaborate convoluted unnecessary plan to separate Adalind from her baby. Why? What does it accomplish exactly? The Resistance promised to protect her and the baby, and they proved to be as untrustworthy as the Royals. Nick's mom has been saying that this child needs a "normal" childhood. What exactly is "normal" about being raised by a foster mom always on the move and on the run? I understand that they had to put the baby beyond the Royal's reach, but why not make Adalind part of the plan? Why not do everything they did to make the Royals think that the Resistance had the baby, and then just give it back to Adalind and have her go disappear somewhere to raise her baby? Why not make Adalind an affiliate of the Resistance? Why create a desperate mother? They should have known that taking her baby and then leaving her to her own devices would just be major trouble for everyone. They already committed the monstrous act of taking her baby, so why not just finish the job and kill her to avoid loose ends? What I am saying is that it is not believable. It is unrealistic that the characters would make such stupid decisions and deliberately create a ticking time bomb. But I know why the writers did it; Adalind was too interesting as a villain, so they had to come up with some way to keep her from becoming too friendly and force her back in the villain role. But the way they did it was stupid, unrealistic, not believable, forced and unnatural. Now Nick has lost his Grimm power because of that stupidity? Really? Nick being a Grimm is the bread and butter of the story. Nick not being a Grimm anymore is boring.

Not grim at all, but delightful

Author: Eternalkid from Spain
13 February 2013

Rarely does a series move me to review it. But this one is quite special. The premise is almost like Monsters Inc where the little girl scares the monsters under the bed - just made for adults. And what a lot of monsters there are here! The possibilities are almost endless...

Vaguely based on the Grimm tales, this series transports those tales into the 21st century far better than any other recent attempt at it. Each episode is a surprise, some have major frights in them, though the one criticism I have is that the main character isn't "grim" enough.

But to me the revelation - and half the fun of this show - is the character Monroe, played masterfully by Silas Weir Mitchell - truly funny, bringing a human touch to the monsters on display... he truly deserves an award for his role in this.

A long way to go

Author: hhdfgb
20 November 2013

1. Story: Interesting, innovative, new, certainly something that is different, but is it good enough? The concept employed is appealing and has a certain charm but the story should have more shocking spoilers. The show seems to be missing a certain element of randomness. The employment of fairy tales in interesting, however except for explaining the concept in the first few episodes this serves no purpose. This should be worked upon.

2. Acting: The lead and the supports are doing a decent job. They are good, but at places it seems like there is scope for improvement. The guest actors vary, some a cool, composed and fit right in, others are forced and unimpressive.

3. Effects: The show does not rely too heavily on effects, yet those that it uses are well placed and balanced. The new opening theme of season 2 onwards, however, does not seem polished.

Verdict

A show which appeals to only a certain viewing audience. For some it will be exactly what they were looking for, but the lack of world class acting and a story line which is weak at points makes this show being far from a must see.

Unique idea, ordinary presentation

Author: itt-eler from United Kingdom
9 November 2014

So, where do I start? Grimm is one of the very few ongoing shows that I'm following. Though I was thinking about giving up on it several times now, I am still waiting for the new episode week after week. I wouldn't say it's addictive, but it's watchable if you don't have a better option. I don't like plain detective/police/CSI shows much, but with mixing in some humor or fantasy or adding some strange, new characters and focusing less on the scientific crime-solving, I am ready to give anything a try. I have to admit that Grimm has a pretty unique twist to the CSI-like story and if you're into that, you'll probably enjoy it. But here are some reasons why you might not.

First of all, I have to warn you, the CGI is plain horrible. I can't even imagine how low their budget must've been for the quality to be so poor. I think the monsters' appearance has improved some since the beginning but not the other bits. The most recent scene where I couldn't decide whether to laugh or to cry was the two-headed snake.

Then there is the general problem with nowadays' TV shows: too much drama on the expense of character- and plot development and/or deviating from the original "feeling" of the show. (Obviously, there are exceptions such as Game of Thrones or Hannibal - so far.) My problem with this phenomenon is that it's creating (or trying to create) a lot of tension, but I know all along that this is just a rather cheap attempt to make me stick with the show - and that's why I'm still relaxed about all of it. To clarify what I'm talking about: I knew Juliette would get her memories back. I know that Nick will get his "Grimmhood" back, simply because too many viewers would turn away from the show if he didn't. I didn't believe for a second that Sean would die for real - honestly, we've all seen this scene so many times before in so many other shows/movies that it has completely lost its power. A (new) character conveniently appears out of thin air just in time to save the other's life. That sounds familiar, doesn't it? To me, this kind of solution is not satisfying at all, and I can't help but wonder why there aren't more people demanding more innovative ways of resolving such situations. It's a shame that the makers of this show are limiting it to be yet another conventional fantasy series where, I boldly presume, the "good" will defeat "evil" without much collateral and in the end, Nick and Juliette will live happily ever after (and so will Monroe and Rosalee).

And yet, for some mysterious reason, I'm still watching it. Probably because it's still a notch better than the rest: even though I have problems with the presentation, at least I haven't seen the basic concept so many times. I will just stick with my previous statement - if you are in need of a new show to watch and you have finished the better ones, Grimm is fine.

Great show

Author: dcroft04 from United States
19 May 2012

There aren't many shows on TV that I bother to watch any more, but this is one. It has great characters, the plot has interesting takes on classic fairy tales,and there is just the right amount of mystery and hidden back story.

There is some awkwardness in the first few episodes of the season as the actors find their characters and the show starts to hit its stride. But Giuntoli's character is also being thrown into situations that he isn't prepared to deal with.

However, Monroe (Silas Weir Mitchell) does an excellent job evening out the show and forming a kind of odd couple bond with Nick (Giuntoli). They have great chemistry on screen and it really adds a lot to the show.

And as you move through the season, more of the back story involving Nick's family and Renard (Roiz) is revealed in a slow burn. And the season then finishes on a few very big question marks.

Love this show!

Author: blissfulxlife from United States
11 November 2011

So far, so good! With the pilot episode, I was pretty much instantly hooked. It was one of the best pilots for a show that I've seen in a while. It truly gave you an in-depth look at what the show will be about and so far, it's quite entertaining. As the episode progressed, it had me wanting more and more. If it keeps this up, It'll be truly sad if it's ever taken off the air. Love the characters and great choice of main characters, the acting is good, love the set and the overall plot is very different which makes it well worth the watch. Need I say more? If you're reading this, you should try to give it a watch. I can't wait for more!

Well....not too bad, BUT...

Author: Katherine Byers from California, USA
16 April 2017

...I think the writers either got VERY lazy towards the end of season 3 or there was a case of mass insanity among them. I would tend to believe it was more of the former and they got LAZY! The stories became predictable, totally ridiculous stories ranging from super zombie grimm to goth girl grimm, with overly gooey, lubby dubby, couple smooch face, middle of the season stories. They should have canned the writers and brought some in that would delve into the separate character's backgrounds and story lines and histories. Too bad, this series had some possibilities and could have ran longer and the actors would still have work. Hope the writers suffered the same fate, employment-wise...In the future, remember Lazy=Unemployed.

Too quick of an end to an epic show!!

Author: Steven Fischer from Ontario, Canada
5 April 2017

We need a better mechanism for being able to pass on feedback to the cast of our favourite shows! :)

The cast for this show has been phenomenal! Great chemistry across the board. The writing has been great as well. Always twists and turns, keeping you wondering where they're going with this. And, to be honest, I'm a hard sell. Most times I'm guessing the correct ending after the first chapter in a detective story.

I was surprised that the ratings for this show weren't higher, that it got cut short - but glad NBC at least let them end it properly. And what an ending!!! :)

I really hope that NBC (or another production house) realizes what a missed opportunity this is and picks up the story with the kids (Kelly, Diana & the triplets) - and hope they integrate some (well, all would be amazing) of the original cast :)

Fantastic show!! Wish we had a few more seasons of it at least!