IMDb > "Grimm" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Grimm"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Grimm" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Mediocre and unoriginal

Author: ratatatuff from Austria
11 April 2014

Another one of these shows about monsters and fairies. At least there are no vampires... But it's always the same, at the beginning of the show there is some "hunter" who discovers that he has some hidden destiny and then he tries to fulfill it. Here it is a police-officer who discovers that he is a "Grimm" and his destiny is to hunt down monsters. Oh yeah, like we haven't seen stuff like this in hundred other shows... So, what makes this show different?

First it's the language. They decided to let the characters talk in German and in French in certain situations. Actually that's not a bad idea and I give kudos to Sasha Roiz (Captain Sean Renard) for his French. It sounded really okay to me. But the German!!! Who translated or invented these names??? My native tongue is German and although I had no problems to understand the English I needed subtitles to understand the "German" words!!!

But, no wonder... They are not German. They are just stupid. For example, they introduced some goat-people and called them "Ziegevolk". And the actors pronounced it like no German would ever pronounce it. Okay, maybe they weren't eager to play their role properly. Some of the actors made really bad performances anyway... But who came up with the name "Ziegevolk"??? This is ridiculous. You can't just take goat = Ziege and people = Volk and combine it into "Ziegevolk". We have cases in German and it should be "Ziegenvolk". If you think I'm nit-picking, no, I'm not. Because this is not the only mistake they made. How could anyone pronounce "Wesen" the way the actors do in that show??? Names like "Hexenbiest" are just dumb and what the hell is a "Blutbaden"??? And really, why should the resistance call itself "Verrat" (deceit)... These names are just gibberish and sound like a four year old child invented them. Sorry, but I expect a certain amount of professionality from a TV show, even from a low-budget show like this. So, if you watch this show and think that they talk German: No, they do not! (there is one exception: one guy is actually German, so his pronounciation is good, but the others all suck)

And, btw, if these "Grimms" and these "Wesen" came from Germany long time ago, they would either know how to pronounce the words correctly or would have changed them into the language they use in everyday speech. In this case, as the show plays in Portland, English. So, these dumb names are just an attempt to gather some exotic flair. But it's so poorly done that it's just an epic fail.

Okay, the next thing is the storyline. Nothing extraordinary. Same storyline in every episode, just the name of the monster changes. And why does every case have to involve a supernatural being? It seems like there are no normal humans in Portland anymore. Don't get me wrong, it IS possible to constantly thematize the supernatural beings. After all, it's part of the premise of the show. But in that case they should not interfere with the normal world the way they do and the show would have to come up with a believable concept for a parallel society. "Monster kills human, Grimm kills monster" gets really boring after a few episodes. And they produced three seasons like this... And there are other things which I don't like. Like all the events around the Royal Families, the "Wesen" council and things like this. To me it is just too obviously plagiarized. Things like that already appeared in too many bad novels and series. Seen it all and seen it done much better.

Cast: uh, don't get me started... Nick, the Grimm, is mediocre at best. His acting is shallow and boring. His girlfriend Bitchy...oh uh, I mean Bitsie... I wonder what her purpose in this show is, because she's completely useless. And IF she is acting then she is overacting in some weird way. And she is highly unsympathetic. The better ones are Silas Weir Mitchell as Monroe, the werewolf, and Bree Turner as his girlfriend Rosalee. And, of course, Danny Bruno as Bud (the beaver) is really good. It's a shame that he only got a minor role.

Script: Even worse than the overall story is the scriptwriting. The dialogues are boring and sometimes I found myself thinking: "How could you talk like this? No normal person in the world would ever talk like this!"

I don't expect much from TV-shows. I don't care for effects or big- budget productions. But I want to see good actors, a good script and good dialogues. Grimm is a mediocre series which shamelessly steals ideas from every other series and book in the genre. If you like this show I suggest you try and watch "Buffy" or read the "Dresden Files". You will see how this genre is done properly. With good character arcs and good dialogues.

Not grim at all, but delightful

Author: Eternalkid from Spain
13 February 2013

Rarely does a series move me to review it. But this one is quite special. The premise is almost like Monsters Inc where the little girl scares the monsters under the bed - just made for adults. And what a lot of monsters there are here! The possibilities are almost endless...

Vaguely based on the Grimm tales, this series transports those tales into the 21st century far better than any other recent attempt at it. Each episode is a surprise, some have major frights in them, though the one criticism I have is that the main character isn't "grim" enough.

But to me the revelation - and half the fun of this show - is the character Monroe, played masterfully by Silas Weir Mitchell - truly funny, bringing a human touch to the monsters on display... he truly deserves an award for his role in this.

appalling rubbish avoid at all costs

Author: macdougall_andy from australia
31 March 2013

If I could give it 0 stars I would.

Badly acted, poorly written, the only plus being Monroe as he seems to be the only person in the show who can act.

As others have said, you want fairy stories / demons etc ? There is a show that is a million times better, it's called Supernatural - and I don't even watch that but have seen a few of them.

Like your police procedurals but with a twist, humour, chemistry, great acting, great writing - Elementary.

How people can come on here and rave about this show and give it 8, 9 or 10 stars beggars belief. I can only assume that they are 8 years old.

garbage

Author: Zaphod from United States
29 August 2012

Well...Grimm is another one of those lame TV shows which are boring ,predictable ,and uninspired -you've all seen it before: but this time it's way more ridiculous.

The problem with it is simply everything: writing (story ,script ,characters...) ,direction (terrible) and acting (bad cast). The whole is just a big mess without any character developments nor plots -I mean a detective who has seen some gruesome crime scenes,but nothing prepares him for the strange regular people momentarily transforming into hideous monsters...? that's already a stuck story ,uninspired and boring not mentioning how limited and stupid it is...the whole attempt of it is pathetic due to the ridiculous sequence of events in every episode too.

Don't even bother watching it.

Monster Squad

Author: hellraiser7 from United States
29 January 2015

Fairy Tales have always been my favorite stories since I was a kid, but they were also the darkest stories. Despite the fun fantasy it might sometimes display there was a flip side to the coin of those stories because by their nature most of them were horror stories. Those stories scared me but at the same time fascinated me because I was just as interested in the creatures as much as the adventure.

This is one of my favorite TV shows of all time, I really love the idea, it's a wild but cool and creative idea. What if all of the stories from fantasy are based/inspired by reality. And the authors of the famous Brothers Grimm were really monster slayers and one person was a descendant of them. In a way you can say this is a bit of a wishforfillment fantasy (ok, for some) the brother Grimms being your ancestors and being part of a bloodline of warriors that have the ability to slay creatures that go bump in the night, is cool and really comes in handy. This show is a combo of both the detective and fantasy genre which I think is a beautiful combination and makes sense since fantasy stories at heart are mysteries, whenever we first we never really know what land their in or what is there.

I really love the dark noir atmosphere the show has, from the use of the darkness and shadows it really has creates a feeling of a foreboding, mysterious and dangerous world where anything could be hiding withing the next shadow. It perfectly fits since the Grimm fantasy tales were always dark. On a side note the fact their their using the location Portland, Origon I think is really cool since my aunt, uncle and cousin live there, so it sort of gives it a sense of home and familiarity for me.

I like the design of the vessen monsters, there is a variety of them and each have different features so they'll never be in short supply. The makeup work on them I think is great, they look practical and real. The premise of them is a bit similar to the movie John Carpenter's "They Live" where these monsters hide in plain sight and walk among us.

The plots in each of the episodes are always different and colorful but most importantly intriguing and involving; you in the same boat as the protagonists as you are constantly trying to figure out what is going on and how their going to deal with it. There is a revolving plot going on which is intriguing in itself involving seven keys to open up and find a lost artifact which will give power to the one that finds it to rule or destroy the world. Though this revolving plot kinda takes a back seat and is more the subplot let alone maguffin device; because this is a show that is focused on the case at hand which to me I think is great because there is variety and each is always a new adventure. But also each of the plots and the vessen they deal with aren't just based on fairy tales but also myth and folklore from around the world which makes the show slightly educational.

The action is solid, it's well choreographed, it's not exactly wall to wall but this show is more of a mystery show than an actioneer. However one highlight of the battles are that Nick sometimes uses different med evil weapons which is cool because it shows he has a various arsenal and we see certain vessen dispatched in different ways which keeps things fresh.

The characters are also great, each of them are three dimensional, have dynamics, they develop and are involving.

Trubel/Theresa Rubel is great and is no doubt true to her nick name let alone last name. I really like that despite having the sight ability at an early age she is a rookie. She is always going into trouble let alone causing it intentionally or unintentionally. She is tough, capable of kicking some ass and she's cute and kinda hot, what can I say I'm attracted to bad girls.

But two of my favorite characters are Monroe and Rosalee both are vessen but good people. Monroe is sort of a humble guy and isn't looking for trouble but isn't afraid to confront it when need be. I like that he's a bit childlike from his great enthusiasm of the holidays, this guy knows how to decorate. And he's sort of a history buff as he's not just has a lot of antiquities but is knowledgeable about folklore, which makes him really useful.

Rosalee whom I think is cute and true to her vessen identity foxy. I really like that she is sweet and she is also useful as she is knowledgeable about special remedies, medicines, and magic potions which in a way makes he an alchemist, well sort of. I really like the chemistry between both Monroe and her both play off each other well and we see it develop into something more, let alone the fact both are a different vessen species which in a way makes them a bi racial couple which is cool. Even like it whenever both Juliettte and Rosalee both interact and work together which is always fun and evens things out since most of the show we see the guys have their own dynamics.

Grimm is not you usual fairy tale.

Rating: 4 stars

Great Mash of Supernatural Beings & Murder/Mystery

Author: LeDentalPlaque from Canada
27 December 2014

I started watching this show with my boyfriend a couple years back and really got into it. The CGI isn't top-notch, but if you can get through that, Grimm is actually not that bad. In fact, it's quite good because it presents viewers with a completely different world full of imagination and creativity.

A "grimm" is someone who can see the "hidden side" of certain humans, which may possess supernatural abilities or be monsters themselves. The main character, Nick, is a grimm and works as a detective to solve crimes committed by these people. Throughout these crimes, in each season there is a main plot or storyline that carries through each episode that keeps you watching so that you can find out more about what's going to happen next.

Over the past few seasons, a lot of new creatures have been introduced, and the creativity of the writers is great. I'm enjoying the ride with the world of Grimm, and I hope they continue to up their game and come up with more stories and subplots that can keep viewers entertained.

Great show with entertaining supernatural action scenes and strong musical score, so I give it a 10.

Excellent show that provokes the imagination

Author: ltkochera
23 December 2014

This show tells great stories and shows what a great imagination can put on screen. from episode one I have been binge watching to catch up and after every episode I say WOW. The backstory of the Grimm and the different aspects that come out keep you at the edge of your seat. The character development is very deliberate and measured, while each draws you into their past. Hank and Pete are the lead but Monroe is pivotal to the story line. You must watch to understand, to feel the excitement and be at the nail biting edge to see what happens next. Let it be said that Portland is not the normal place to shoot a TV show, but this is not a normal show....it keeps it strange. Vessen, grimms, and all of the other strange characters will keep you coming back for more. Trust me.

Grimm latest episode

Author: willygigantes from Spain
13 December 2014

hi, it is really great to see more of Grimm , please keep to the good work . looking forward , looking for more episodes with more historic like wise from the pacific coast they are more mysteries then u can imagine . more towards history of Christopher Columbus , Marco polo , Buddha , the Indian god monkey , Haman, the Indian god , Shiva , the destroyer , the more legend from Greek myth,the more we look the more we see untold legend the Grimm is the only door where v can see the world of myths n legends. i gave my full support , it is nice to work with such great and good actors. the more i see the series the more i enjoy the hard work , as we say in Spanish '' burn tanbark'' hope u can find my ideas helping n assist u to make more good episodes.

A refreshing Supernatural Series

Author: reinhardtw-794-126700 from South Africa
25 November 2014

I have always been a fan of the Show Supernatural. Interesting story line, great characters. I started watching Grimm with a bit of skepticism. After all the Winchester brothers are legends in the supernatural story community and who can really compete with then in fighting the "bad" supernatural beings?

What Grimm has done is give a fresh perspective on the supernatural. Grimm is in no way a copy and doesn't try to imitate the Winchesters. It gives us a new view on the subject in a very interesting way.

The Grimm has a bit of an advantage in that they can see the monsters for what they are. Nick Burkhardt is a normal detective with the Grimm gift. But what makes it good is that he doesn't take everything at face value. He sees the good in some of the creatures and kills the bad.

I am not going to divulge into all the characters in Grimm as this is not the object of this review. But I like the friendship that Nick has with Monroe. Showing that working with the "Supernatural Creatures" can be beneficial and entertaining.

I enjoy both shows and it is great to wait for new episodes of two great supernatural shows. Grimm has interesting characters with depth and a great story line leaving you wanting more.

I feel spoiled with two great unique supernatural shows to look forward to week in and week out!

I recommend Grimm as it is both entertaining and gripping, if you like series about the supernatural and things unknown.

Attractive, neat, and addictive

Author: Michael OldTestament Bonner from D.C.
18 August 2014

So here is a real review without spoilers. This show is amazing. I was recently bedridden for a month due to a neck surgery and needed to stream some shows to pass the time. Episode one season one I admit, seemed hokey. In all honesty I didn't realize this show was for me until midway through the first season, but as I got deeper in, I realized the first few episodes were created for clarity and allowing you to fall in love with the characters. This is a show you must commit to, but you will not be disappointed. It holds far more mystery than supernatural, Sam and Dean are two of my favorites, but supernatural only allows for you to fall in love with those two (and maybe Casteal). I digress, in Grimm the show doesn't only focus on the main character, the show allow you to fall in love with and be intrigued by the story lines of literally 10 other co stars. Really it is 10 different shows in one, but not at all confusing. It includes mysticism by including royal families controlling secret orders, the tween love story is kept to an acceptable minimum, and though it is based on old fairy tales, the show is oddly easy to relate to. Beware though, this show doesn't close out its seasons, every season finale is a huge cliffhanger, which I love and hate at the same time. I have watched this show evolve into one of the best and am eagerly awaiting the next season, the good news is you can currently stream the first two seasons for free, so trying it out will cost you only time and popcorn. I dare you, watch the first two seasons and you will be hooked. The show will pluck each one of your emotions, which is what makes it great.