IMDb > "Grimm" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Grimm"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Grimm" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

A Good Idea, Average Execution

Author: beppo_leitl from Austria
31 May 2012

In the beginning I watched it, the premise was creative and intriguing. Using the Grimm fairy tale world as a template for an alternate reality seemed interesting. Sadly the writers proved just to be producing another average American cliché TV series. The storyline is the same in every episode: there are "baddies", at some point the "hero" finds himself alone in danger for some reason (great police-work) and finally subdues the "baddy" using physical methods. Sorry, that is not creative and entertaining enough, and the connecting storyline of some major conspiracy including the Police Chief is not that interesting that you would not get bored by the single episodes. It's just kids' TV - not really suitable for kids, though. I also wondered where they got the strange names for the creatures from. They somehow seem German, but they are not. And the pronunciation just butchers the German language. All in all they could have done a fascinating, modern show, where you immerse yourself more and more in an alternate world and a series- spanning storyline. Sadly, what they did is an outdated concept of stereotypical episodes, which soon leaves you bored.

Not great but Easy to watch

Author: Jamie from United Kingdom
9 April 2014

Just finished watching season 2 of Grimm on Netflix, quite a feat since there's 20 odd 40 minute episodes in each season, But there was really nothing else on... Grimm is remarkably average, I'm only leaving a review since there's so many 8s 9s and 10s, inflating the score. The acting in Grimms really not that great, with Munroe being the only standout actor. Personally I think the writings probably the worst aspect of this show, it's so predictably cheesy including typical cheesy American lines, a kind of 'let's kick some butt!' Type cheese. If you like this though then go ahead! I'd say it's all round quality is fairly comparable to doctor who, but I think the real reason I'm disappointed in Grimm is because of it's missed potential. I mean I think the ideas great, the back stories of the Wesson can be cool even if they sometimes look really bad. Think Big Bird from Sesame Street. I just feel that maybe they could have casted the characters a little better and made them more relatable, I really lack any sort of feeling towards the Grimm, I'm always rooting for some dirty angry looking creature to pull his legs off, but instead episode after episode it's just run of mill, hero always wins bad guy loses. There's no real drama or suspense, the guys invincibly boring. But yeah I've given it a 6, which I think is fair, it's definitely not the worst thing on TV but far from being a standout, easy to watch with cheap thrills. I'd have to say its ideal target audience has gotta be kids, I've thought this from the get-go, it's the kind of show that kids would love, good mix of action & fantasy, it's today's Hercules or Xena warrior princess.

Less single-episode creatures, more creature/story development

Author: Mike-DD from Singapore
22 March 2014

This show started really well for me - almost a 10/10 in the beginning. It has a good main plot - a detective with special skills unmasking the various criminal Wesen in his hometown, who is also the target of several factions with their own agenda.

In the beginning, there are lots of single episodes which deal with only a single kind of criminal Wesen. This is good as it gives us a feel of the different creatures, as well as help slowly develop the characters of the main recurring Wesen cast. But now that there are other story lines developing from the main one: the Royal Family, the baby, the Resistance, the treasure map, his mother's activities, etc, I felt the show should now spend less, if any, time on single-episode creatures that have no bearing on the future of the show. It's a distraction from developing the main and other story lines.

But the show still manages to maintain my interest because it continues, albeit slower than I like, to develop the subplots into something potentially good. And the new creatures that are sometimes introduced are interesting, though I hope any new ones from now on actually have an impact on the current developing story lines.

I am confused

Author: ninokaric from Serbia
1 September 2013

I expected much better show. First episode was, I can say OK, they introduced us with the story. I liked the concept of the story, heir of the Grimm brothers, fighting with fairy tail creatures, I loved the idea. But then I realized almost every episode is the same, I mean wolf-Man, pig-Man, rat-Man or whatever, in first five minutes it's some mysterious killing going on, then he starts to solve it blah blah blah, happy ending for all.

I mean it's not complete failure, but they could make this much much much better, more seriously, more mysteriously, just more 18+. OK, I am not expecting here another game of thrones, but I already watch Supernatural and I don't like Buffy. I am kinda bored, it's too predictable ( I read some reviews about mystery and how you can not expect what will happen next, em Are we watching the same Grimm????, How I met your mother is more enigma than this). And I don't want to start with the looks of creatures, seriously? But, OK, I am still forcing myself to watch this ( because idea is brilliant) and hoping for better, i just hope I am not wasting my time.

Great Fun, Awesome Production Values, Casting, Pedigree

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
8 November 2013

Not a well-known fact, but although the inimitable Joss Whedon is generally given all the credit for the Buffy/Angel phenom, in fact Joss had a partner who, while given proper billing in the opening marquee, did not often step into the limelight. That would be none other than Mr. David Greenwalt, who was kind enough to use the many skills he picked up therefrom to bring us this wonderful riff on the Grimm fairy tales. It's clever, and other reviewers here have spent a lot of time on the plot, so there is no need to go there. But as Buffy/Angel alumni know, the trick to these things is not merely story but top actors, highly developed relationships between the characters, and sharp dialogue. This show delivers. Almost from the first episode, viewers could not help but admire the oddball "Lone Ranger/Tonto" relationship between David Giuntoli and Silas Weir Mitchell. Bitsie Tulloch is a major find, she can not only sell her part but her eyes should be insured by Lloyds and trademarked. The supporting cast is universally good. The cliffhanger plots tend to invite a little peckishness on the part of reviewers, but, to be fair, all the new action shows are doing this, so to poke at one is to poke at them all. Greenwalt has learnt well, and knows the importance of keeping the viewer on his or her toes -- as for example in the episode when Giuntoli's character wrestles a very dangerous stranger to the ground only to find out .... it's his mother. These are the sort of treats we have come to expect from this series and if the writers don't hoist themselves on their own petards (over-write the plot arcs to death) it should remain good fun for some time.

Not grim at all, but delightful

Author: Eternalkid from Spain
13 February 2013

Rarely does a series move me to review it. But this one is quite special. The premise is almost like Monsters Inc where the little girl scares the monsters under the bed - just made for adults. And what a lot of monsters there are here! The possibilities are almost endless...

Vaguely based on the Grimm tales, this series transports those tales into the 21st century far better than any other recent attempt at it. Each episode is a surprise, some have major frights in them, though the one criticism I have is that the main character isn't "grim" enough.

But to me the revelation - and half the fun of this show - is the character Monroe, played masterfully by Silas Weir Mitchell - truly funny, bringing a human touch to the monsters on display... he truly deserves an award for his role in this.

Awesome first season. Then too cliché.

Author: Jade Saelee from United States
18 March 2013

The first season was very promising. The special effects was terribly lacking and the make-up was cheesy, but that was acceptable. I loved how it didn't get too into the gore and had a focus on the fairytale concept being injected into modern times. It was exciting and though not completely new concept, it was well executed. I think the bit of originality it possessed surpassed the other fairytale show "Once Upon a Time."

Second season however...The whole amnesia thing was...palatable...until they introduced the love triangle. This isn't daytime television. If they had, instead, made Juliette Silverton a more intelligent character (she had the potential), a more powerful character and backing up Nick (as Monroe has), it would have been an incredible (but rewarding) endeavor. Instead, they chose to make her fall too far into the trap of the cliché damsel in distress. Nick had already saved her from the dragon's lair and that was done well, but the amnesia bit coupled with a love triangle was a little too much. I understand the reasoning behind it, but it was poorly executed. I stopped watching it since. I just couldn't stomach it.

Interesting mythology, well-developed characters.

Author: abbadon-hades
31 August 2012

The protagonist is a detective with Portland PD, who inherits an ability to recognize fairytale creatures, that hide behind a human appearance. His entry into this hidden world means that he has to lead a double life,pretending that everything is normal when around his girlfriend and his colleagues,while in secret attempting to bring the supernatural culprit(always the case) to justice.He gradually finds friends also among the mythological creatures,and one in particular becomes his sidekick.

I like this series for several reasons. First off because it presents an immersive universe,that has certain similarities with True Blood, but still feels unique.The series is also constructed in a way that builds tension gradually,and that lets us get to know the characters well.In addition this series allows for grey areas. The hero's actions are sometimes driven purely by selfish motives,and the villains are not always as bad as they seem at first glance.But the best thing about this show is that it doesn't allow the story to fall into a pit of despair, which in my opinion is the biggest flaw with a show like Supernatural. Instead, in Grimm the protagonist has a sidekick that infuses it all with a healthy dose of humor and lightness.Something that is important to balance out all the darkness.

Great show

Author: dcroft04 from United States
19 May 2012

There aren't many shows on TV that I bother to watch any more, but this is one. It has great characters, the plot has interesting takes on classic fairy tales,and there is just the right amount of mystery and hidden back story.

There is some awkwardness in the first few episodes of the season as the actors find their characters and the show starts to hit its stride. But Giuntoli's character is also being thrown into situations that he isn't prepared to deal with.

However, Monroe (Silas Weir Mitchell) does an excellent job evening out the show and forming a kind of odd couple bond with Nick (Giuntoli). They have great chemistry on screen and it really adds a lot to the show.

And as you move through the season, more of the back story involving Nick's family and Renard (Roiz) is revealed in a slow burn. And the season then finishes on a few very big question marks.

Disappointing

Author: aav-223-829992 from Denmark
30 January 2012

I had high expectations for the show. The first couple of episodes met these expectations. Afterwards it's all been downhill.

There is so much potential in the fairy tales of brothers Grimm, but everything is so poorly executed. The SFX are quite poor, the scripts are bad, the tension non-existent. The acting is OK though, and deserves some praise, especially because the actors have so little to work with.

For instance, the episode about the Pied Piper. Seriously, that was terrible in so many ways, not scary at all, very uninspired.

It's like the people behind the show had a good idea, but don't know how to actually make it work.

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]