IMDb > "Grimm" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Grimm"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Grimm" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

A long way to go

Author: hhdfgb
20 November 2013

1. Story: Interesting, innovative, new, certainly something that is different, but is it good enough? The concept employed is appealing and has a certain charm but the story should have more shocking spoilers. The show seems to be missing a certain element of randomness. The employment of fairy tales in interesting, however except for explaining the concept in the first few episodes this serves no purpose. This should be worked upon.

2. Acting: The lead and the supports are doing a decent job. They are good, but at places it seems like there is scope for improvement. The guest actors vary, some a cool, composed and fit right in, others are forced and unimpressive.

3. Effects: The show does not rely too heavily on effects, yet those that it uses are well placed and balanced. The new opening theme of season 2 onwards, however, does not seem polished.

Verdict

A show which appeals to only a certain viewing audience. For some it will be exactly what they were looking for, but the lack of world class acting and a story line which is weak at points makes this show being far from a must see.

Not grim at all, but delightful

Author: Eternalkid from Spain
13 February 2013

Rarely does a series move me to review it. But this one is quite special. The premise is almost like Monsters Inc where the little girl scares the monsters under the bed - just made for adults. And what a lot of monsters there are here! The possibilities are almost endless...

Vaguely based on the Grimm tales, this series transports those tales into the 21st century far better than any other recent attempt at it. Each episode is a surprise, some have major frights in them, though the one criticism I have is that the main character isn't "grim" enough.

But to me the revelation - and half the fun of this show - is the character Monroe, played masterfully by Silas Weir Mitchell - truly funny, bringing a human touch to the monsters on display... he truly deserves an award for his role in this.

A Good Idea, Average Execution

Author: beppo_leitl from Austria
31 May 2012

In the beginning I watched it, the premise was creative and intriguing. Using the Grimm fairy tale world as a template for an alternate reality seemed interesting. Sadly the writers proved just to be producing another average American cliché TV series. The storyline is the same in every episode: there are "baddies", at some point the "hero" finds himself alone in danger for some reason (great police-work) and finally subdues the "baddy" using physical methods. Sorry, that is not creative and entertaining enough, and the connecting storyline of some major conspiracy including the Police Chief is not that interesting that you would not get bored by the single episodes. It's just kids' TV - not really suitable for kids, though. I also wondered where they got the strange names for the creatures from. They somehow seem German, but they are not. And the pronunciation just butchers the German language. All in all they could have done a fascinating, modern show, where you immerse yourself more and more in an alternate world and a series- spanning storyline. Sadly, what they did is an outdated concept of stereotypical episodes, which soon leaves you bored.

OK time the move the story along now

Author: angil_x from United States
17 February 2012

The premise is interesting. Detective suddenly inexplicably finds out he is a Grimm with the inherent power to see supernatural beings out of fairytale lore. Grimms because of their reputation as killers of such beings are feared. Unlike other Grimms our hero is a 'good' Grimm and uses his powers only to solve crimes. Curiously, it seems all the cases he happens to be involved in has a fairytale component. Now, this reputation that Grims have is being used by our hero to intimidate fairytale suspects and witnesses, but one has to wonder how long this will last when the creatures realize he is all bark and no bite? They are beginning to drag this series out as they are already into 11 episodes and no resolution of the subplots i.e. the police captain who is a creature, why is this Grimm untrained, does he have any powers aside from the ability to see creatures? If not what's to fear? I for one am beginning to get bored of the monster of the week storyline and wants this story to move forward or they will have lost me as viewer.

Great Movie

Author: lobjanidze from Tbilisi, Georgia
20 May 2014

this is a great TV-show so why is rating so low? critics don't like it? can any one tell me? a think it's cool TV show, very interesting and some kind of fantastic. i think there is not too much people, who rated this TV-show, so lets wait maybe it will grow up for about 8 or more. thanks a lot to creators. Detective Nick Burkhardt (David Giuntoli) learns he descends from an ancient family who is in charge of keeping humans safe from creatures that were described in the Grimm's fairy tales. Grimm is as much a mystery/crime drama as it is fantasy and supernatural and more of an adventure as well. I've been enjoying this new TV Show this last month. Conclusion: Although is different from the real story, it's being interesting.

Not great but Easy to watch

Author: Jamie from United Kingdom
9 April 2014

Just finished watching season 2 of Grimm on Netflix, quite a feat since there's 20 odd 40 minute episodes in each season, But there was really nothing else on... Grimm is remarkably average, I'm only leaving a review since there's so many 8s 9s and 10s, inflating the score. The acting in Grimms really not that great, with Munroe being the only standout actor. Personally I think the writings probably the worst aspect of this show, it's so predictably cheesy including typical cheesy American lines, a kind of 'let's kick some butt!' Type cheese. If you like this though then go ahead! I'd say it's all round quality is fairly comparable to doctor who, but I think the real reason I'm disappointed in Grimm is because of it's missed potential. I mean I think the ideas great, the back stories of the Wesson can be cool even if they sometimes look really bad. Think Big Bird from Sesame Street. I just feel that maybe they could have casted the characters a little better and made them more relatable, I really lack any sort of feeling towards the Grimm, I'm always rooting for some dirty angry looking creature to pull his legs off, but instead episode after episode it's just run of mill, hero always wins bad guy loses. There's no real drama or suspense, the guys invincibly boring. But yeah I've given it a 6, which I think is fair, it's definitely not the worst thing on TV but far from being a standout, easy to watch with cheap thrills. I'd have to say its ideal target audience has gotta be kids, I've thought this from the get-go, it's the kind of show that kids would love, good mix of action & fantasy, it's today's Hercules or Xena warrior princess.

I am confused

Author: ninokaric from Serbia
1 September 2013

I expected much better show. First episode was, I can say OK, they introduced us with the story. I liked the concept of the story, heir of the Grimm brothers, fighting with fairy tail creatures, I loved the idea. But then I realized almost every episode is the same, I mean wolf-Man, pig-Man, rat-Man or whatever, in first five minutes it's some mysterious killing going on, then he starts to solve it blah blah blah, happy ending for all.

I mean it's not complete failure, but they could make this much much much better, more seriously, more mysteriously, just more 18+. OK, I am not expecting here another game of thrones, but I already watch Supernatural and I don't like Buffy. I am kinda bored, it's too predictable ( I read some reviews about mystery and how you can not expect what will happen next, em Are we watching the same Grimm????, How I met your mother is more enigma than this). And I don't want to start with the looks of creatures, seriously? But, OK, I am still forcing myself to watch this ( because idea is brilliant) and hoping for better, i just hope I am not wasting my time.

Awesome Show but Juliette ruins it all

Author: paigehullchoxie
25 October 2013

Juliette is an annoyance in mostly every scene she appears in. She detracts from the program and could be completely written out. The show is great and I enjoy the unique story lines for each episode. The special effects are good for a made for television show and each character depicted from Grimm's Fairy tales seems to follow the baseline of the original stories. As the story line progresses, there is a departure from original Grimm's tales, but it is probably because the writers are running out of material to base the program story line on. The ten line minimum post seems like a stretch for this website, because my main point was about how the show is great but Juliette ruined tonight's episode as well as many others, she just doesn't quite fit in. Time to write her out!

Awesome first season. Then too cliché.

Author: Jade Saelee from United States
18 March 2013

The first season was very promising. The special effects was terribly lacking and the make-up was cheesy, but that was acceptable. I loved how it didn't get too into the gore and had a focus on the fairytale concept being injected into modern times. It was exciting and though not completely new concept, it was well executed. I think the bit of originality it possessed surpassed the other fairytale show "Once Upon a Time."

Second season however...The whole amnesia thing was...palatable...until they introduced the love triangle. This isn't daytime television. If they had, instead, made Juliette Silverton a more intelligent character (she had the potential), a more powerful character and backing up Nick (as Monroe has), it would have been an incredible (but rewarding) endeavor. Instead, they chose to make her fall too far into the trap of the cliché damsel in distress. Nick had already saved her from the dragon's lair and that was done well, but the amnesia bit coupled with a love triangle was a little too much. I understand the reasoning behind it, but it was poorly executed. I stopped watching it since. I just couldn't stomach it.

Interesting mythology, well-developed characters.

Author: abbadon-hades
31 August 2012

The protagonist is a detective with Portland PD, who inherits an ability to recognize fairytale creatures, that hide behind a human appearance. His entry into this hidden world means that he has to lead a double life,pretending that everything is normal when around his girlfriend and his colleagues,while in secret attempting to bring the supernatural culprit(always the case) to justice.He gradually finds friends also among the mythological creatures,and one in particular becomes his sidekick.

I like this series for several reasons. First off because it presents an immersive universe,that has certain similarities with True Blood, but still feels unique.The series is also constructed in a way that builds tension gradually,and that lets us get to know the characters well.In addition this series allows for grey areas. The hero's actions are sometimes driven purely by selfish motives,and the villains are not always as bad as they seem at first glance.But the best thing about this show is that it doesn't allow the story to fall into a pit of despair, which in my opinion is the biggest flaw with a show like Supernatural. Instead, in Grimm the protagonist has a sidekick that infuses it all with a healthy dose of humor and lightness.Something that is important to balance out all the darkness.

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]