IMDb > "Grimm" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Grimm"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Grimm" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Supernatural cop romp that is not at all Grimm

Author: Rob Taylor (Rob_Taylor) from London
6 March 2012

I really don't know whether to love or hate this show. It is smack bang in the middle of no-man's land as far as I am concerned.

In fact, the only thing that keeps me watching week after week is the comedy side-kick werewolf played by Silas David Weir. But even his character is rather hit and miss.

And that's the problem. I prefer watching the show for the antics of a supporting character. The supposed main character is rather bland and two-dimensional.

Overall its Cops meets Buffy with neither the campiness of the latter or the Grimmness (yeah, I know, I couldn't resist!) of the former.

It's just... meh! Either play it entirely for laughs, or make it much more serious because, as it stands, it's too middle-of-the-road to make much of an impact.

EDIT (SEASON 2): Well, it's grown on me! I'm still watching it and I'm pleased to see they did something interesting with Nick's wife. Her character was dull in the first season. Nice to see they switched it up a little. I've even upped my rating by two stars! I must be getting soft in my old age...

OK time the move the story along now

Author: angil_x from United States
17 February 2012

The premise is interesting. Detective suddenly inexplicably finds out he is a Grimm with the inherent power to see supernatural beings out of fairytale lore. Grimms because of their reputation as killers of such beings are feared. Unlike other Grimms our hero is a 'good' Grimm and uses his powers only to solve crimes. Curiously, it seems all the cases he happens to be involved in has a fairytale component. Now, this reputation that Grims have is being used by our hero to intimidate fairytale suspects and witnesses, but one has to wonder how long this will last when the creatures realize he is all bark and no bite? They are beginning to drag this series out as they are already into 11 episodes and no resolution of the subplots i.e. the police captain who is a creature, why is this Grimm untrained, does he have any powers aside from the ability to see creatures? If not what's to fear? I for one am beginning to get bored of the monster of the week storyline and wants this story to move forward or they will have lost me as viewer.

Love this show!

Author: blissfulxlife from United States
11 November 2011

So far, so good! With the pilot episode, I was pretty much instantly hooked. It was one of the best pilots for a show that I've seen in a while. It truly gave you an in-depth look at what the show will be about and so far, it's quite entertaining. As the episode progressed, it had me wanting more and more. If it keeps this up, It'll be truly sad if it's ever taken off the air. Love the characters and great choice of main characters, the acting is good, love the set and the overall plot is very different which makes it well worth the watch. Need I say more? If you're reading this, you should try to give it a watch. I can't wait for more!

Less single-episode creatures, more creature/story development

Author: Mike-DD from Singapore
22 March 2014

This show started really well for me - almost a 10/10 in the beginning. It has a good main plot - a detective with special skills unmasking the various criminal Wesen in his hometown, who is also the target of several factions with their own agenda.

In the beginning, there are lots of single episodes which deal with only a single kind of criminal Wesen. This is good as it gives us a feel of the different creatures, as well as help slowly develop the characters of the main recurring Wesen cast. But now that there are other story lines developing from the main one: the Royal Family, the baby, the Resistance, the treasure map, his mother's activities, etc, I felt the show should now spend less, if any, time on single-episode creatures that have no bearing on the future of the show. It's a distraction from developing the main and other story lines.

But the show still manages to maintain my interest because it continues, albeit slower than I like, to develop the subplots into something potentially good. And the new creatures that are sometimes introduced are interesting, though I hope any new ones from now on actually have an impact on the current developing story lines.

A long way to go

Author: hhdfgb
20 November 2013

1. Story: Interesting, innovative, new, certainly something that is different, but is it good enough? The concept employed is appealing and has a certain charm but the story should have more shocking spoilers. The show seems to be missing a certain element of randomness. The employment of fairy tales in interesting, however except for explaining the concept in the first few episodes this serves no purpose. This should be worked upon.

2. Acting: The lead and the supports are doing a decent job. They are good, but at places it seems like there is scope for improvement. The guest actors vary, some a cool, composed and fit right in, others are forced and unimpressive.

3. Effects: The show does not rely too heavily on effects, yet those that it uses are well placed and balanced. The new opening theme of season 2 onwards, however, does not seem polished.

Verdict

A show which appeals to only a certain viewing audience. For some it will be exactly what they were looking for, but the lack of world class acting and a story line which is weak at points makes this show being far from a must see.

Not grim at all, but delightful

Author: Eternalkid from Spain
13 February 2013

Rarely does a series move me to review it. But this one is quite special. The premise is almost like Monsters Inc where the little girl scares the monsters under the bed - just made for adults. And what a lot of monsters there are here! The possibilities are almost endless...

Vaguely based on the Grimm tales, this series transports those tales into the 21st century far better than any other recent attempt at it. Each episode is a surprise, some have major frights in them, though the one criticism I have is that the main character isn't "grim" enough.

But to me the revelation - and half the fun of this show - is the character Monroe, played masterfully by Silas Weir Mitchell - truly funny, bringing a human touch to the monsters on display... he truly deserves an award for his role in this.

A Good Idea, Average Execution

Author: beppo_leitl from Austria
31 May 2012

In the beginning I watched it, the premise was creative and intriguing. Using the Grimm fairy tale world as a template for an alternate reality seemed interesting. Sadly the writers proved just to be producing another average American cliché TV series. The storyline is the same in every episode: there are "baddies", at some point the "hero" finds himself alone in danger for some reason (great police-work) and finally subdues the "baddy" using physical methods. Sorry, that is not creative and entertaining enough, and the connecting storyline of some major conspiracy including the Police Chief is not that interesting that you would not get bored by the single episodes. It's just kids' TV - not really suitable for kids, though. I also wondered where they got the strange names for the creatures from. They somehow seem German, but they are not. And the pronunciation just butchers the German language. All in all they could have done a fascinating, modern show, where you immerse yourself more and more in an alternate world and a series- spanning storyline. Sadly, what they did is an outdated concept of stereotypical episodes, which soon leaves you bored.

Why

Author: alfred-150-959351
3 November 2014

Why do the writers turn every show that I love into a soap opera? Is this type of writing really that popular? I cannot imagine how this writing is liked. I must be different from other viewers.

Another thing I do not like that seems to be popular with other viewers and television script writers is to make the characters in the show periodically so stupid that you sit in your chair and say, "can't they see that?" over and over again. I do not consider this process enjoyable.

Eventually, I am forced to stop watching a show that started out really well but descends into cliff hangers and main characters who seem to suddenly turn stupid for no reason at all. The writers then draw out the time that it takes for the actors to figure out the problem until the end of the show, arc or season or until you have a coronary.

I do not enjoy watching main characters who are suddenly stupid and then turn smart only at the end of the show, season or arc. I like my main characters to be smart like Sherlock Holmes. When the main characters I like get fooled or out thought, I like it to make sense, not just periodic episodes of mental deficiency.

I do not see this type of writing in Harry Potter, Star Wars, The Hobbit, Castle, NCIS, Lee Child, the late great Michael Crichton, etc. I enjoy reading and watching stories written cleverly and not dependent on cheap devices like periodically stupid characters or suspense that is drawn out just to fill up the time required for the episode and does not enhance the story. This type of story just costs the viewer their health and does not entertain.

Perhaps I just misunderstand the genre. Maybe the show is a comedy and not a drama.

Dissatisfied and upset by the current story-writing and general direction of the story.

Author: Zaron DarkStar
1 November 2014

When this show started out, I loved it. I thought it was very worthy addition to the lexicon of all that is Grimm. Also, I don't like spoilers if I can avoid them, but this is a review about specific, recent story elements, so spoilers are unavoidable. So, WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD! So, I think that in season 3, episode 18, the story took a major turn for the worse. It was so stupid I almost stopped watching it altogether. I am of course referring to the elaborate convoluted unnecessary plan to separate Adalind from her baby. Why? What does it accomplish exactly? The Resistance promised to protect her and the baby, and they proved to be as untrustworthy as the Royals. Nick's mom has been saying that this child needs a "normal" childhood. What exactly is "normal" about being raised by a foster mom always on the move and on the run? I understand that they had to put the baby beyond the Royal's reach, but why not make Adalind part of the plan? Why not do everything they did to make the Royals think that the Resistance had the baby, and then just give it back to Adalind and have her go disappear somewhere to raise her baby? Why not make Adalind an affiliate of the Resistance? Why create a desperate mother? They should have known that taking her baby and then leaving her to her own devices would just be major trouble for everyone. They already committed the monstrous act of taking her baby, so why not just finish the job and kill her to avoid loose ends? What I am saying is that it is not believable. It is unrealistic that the characters would make such stupid decisions and deliberately create a ticking time bomb. But I know why the writers did it; Adalind was too interesting as a villain, so they had to come up with some way to keep her from becoming too friendly and force her back in the villain role. But the way they did it was stupid, unrealistic, not believable, forced and unnatural. Now Nick has lost his Grimm power because of that stupidity? Really? Nick being a Grimm is the bread and butter of the story. Nick not being a Grimm anymore is boring.

Attractive, neat, and addictive

Author: Michael OldTestament Bonner from D.C.
18 August 2014

So here is a real review without spoilers. This show is amazing. I was recently bedridden for a month due to a neck surgery and needed to stream some shows to pass the time. Episode one season one I admit, seemed hokey. In all honesty I didn't realize this show was for me until midway through the first season, but as I got deeper in, I realized the first few episodes were created for clarity and allowing you to fall in love with the characters. This is a show you must commit to, but you will not be disappointed. It holds far more mystery than supernatural, Sam and Dean are two of my favorites, but supernatural only allows for you to fall in love with those two (and maybe Casteal). I digress, in Grimm the show doesn't only focus on the main character, the show allow you to fall in love with and be intrigued by the story lines of literally 10 other co stars. Really it is 10 different shows in one, but not at all confusing. It includes mysticism by including royal families controlling secret orders, the tween love story is kept to an acceptable minimum, and though it is based on old fairy tales, the show is oddly easy to relate to. Beware though, this show doesn't close out its seasons, every season finale is a huge cliffhanger, which I love and hate at the same time. I have watched this show evolve into one of the best and am eagerly awaiting the next season, the good news is you can currently stream the first two seasons for free, so trying it out will cost you only time and popcorn. I dare you, watch the first two seasons and you will be hooked. The show will pluck each one of your emotions, which is what makes it great.

Page 2 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]