IMDb > "Grimm" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Grimm"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Grimm" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Waiting for my gals Snow White and Goldilocks to make anappearance!

Author: Andrew Biz from Right Here
30 October 2011

—– 'Grimm' shares the same premise as 'Once' – fairy tales are not just fantasies your learn as a child but real stories about a supernatural world blended into our own.

'Grimm,' is the darker and more dramatic of the two, while 'Once' plays on the twisted Disney take on the stories. The show's hero is Oregon homicide detective Nick Burkhardt (David Giuntoli) who is new to the force and fears he could be suffering from a mental breakdown. Nick starts to see creepy hallucinations of random people whose faces morph into demons, goblins, wolves and worse. At least I think they were some sort of demon.

Nick's aunt (Kate Burton), whom he loves like a mother, arrives for what seems like a normal visit. Instead, she's come to tell him he's about to inherit the family curse. The good news is that Nick isn't crazy; the bad news is now he has the ability to see evil in true form.

Nick is a descendant of the Grimms, who are demon slayers fated to battle with werewolves, demons and witches, oh my! Now it makes sense why the producers of 'Buffy' and 'Angel' would get involved with a show like this. So far, the choreographed fights and demon make-up are reminiscent of 'Buffy.' Nick's aunt ends up in the hospital after battling a demon, who tries to kill her and Nick with a scythe bearing the inscription 'Reapers of the Grimms.' "We have the ability to see what no one else can," Nick's aunt says. "When they lose control they can't hide, and we see them for what they really are." The nurse in the hospital later says to Nick, "What kind of work was your aunt in? She has knife scars all over her body." Nick's response, "She's a librarian." Well, time to wake up Nick and face the demons of the world! (Also sounds similar to Buffy?) Nick pairs up with reformed Blutbad (in our words, a wolf) named Monroe (Silas Weir Mitchell, the best character in the pilot) and the two venture off to find the bad guy of the moment.

Russell Hornsby is cast as Nick's partner Hank, who hasn't been given much to do yet save some slight comic relief. Bitsie Tulloch plays his soon to be fiancée Juliette, who hopefully will be given more than just staring out the window looking worried.

Grimm's first episode played with the tale of 'Red Riding Hood' and had certain scenes that made you cringe and gasp. As the show progresses, I hope we see more underlying Grimm tales like 'Goldilocks,' 'Hansel and Gretel' and 'Snow White' come out to play.

....booring!

Author: kikkapi20 from usa
20 May 2016

When the previews first aired for Grimm on NBC, I thought this would be my kind of show - Dark, Supernatural, Fairy Tales. Sounded good. However, during the first episode spending a lot of time yawning. I was bored. The idea is great - Nick discovers that he comes from a long line of "grimms" that police the supernatural creatures of the world. And the show imploys that the Brothers Grimm where such hunters, and that is how they gained material for their much-loved fairy tales. So, yeah, cool idea. The problem is the execution. The acting is wooden - especially from David Giuntoli, the actor who plays "Nick." Giuntoli is one of the most boring leading men - I have no idea why anyone would cast someone with so little charisma. The production value is low, as most of the monsters look ridiculously fake, but worst of all the show lacks any real wit or charm. For "hunters"-of-evil type shows, stick with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Supernatural and The X-Files. Grimm offers nothing new or fresh. Truly disappointing.

Mediocre and unoriginal

Author: ratatatuff from Austria
11 April 2014

Another one of these shows about monsters and fairies. At least there are no vampires... But it's always the same, at the beginning of the show there is some "hunter" who discovers that he has some hidden destiny and then he tries to fulfill it. Here it is a police-officer who discovers that he is a "Grimm" and his destiny is to hunt down monsters. Oh yeah, like we haven't seen stuff like this in hundred other shows... So, what makes this show different?

First it's the language. They decided to let the characters talk in German and in French in certain situations. Actually that's not a bad idea and I give kudos to Sasha Roiz (Captain Sean Renard) for his French. It sounded really okay to me. But the German!!! Who translated or invented these names??? My native tongue is German and although I had no problems to understand the English I needed subtitles to understand the "German" words!!!

But, no wonder... They are not German. They are just stupid. For example, they introduced some goat-people and called them "Ziegevolk". And the actors pronounced it like no German would ever pronounce it. Okay, maybe they weren't eager to play their role properly. Some of the actors made really bad performances anyway... But who came up with the name "Ziegevolk"??? This is ridiculous. You can't just take goat = Ziege and people = Volk and combine it into "Ziegevolk". We have cases in German and it should be "Ziegenvolk". If you think I'm nit-picking, no, I'm not. Because this is not the only mistake they made. How could anyone pronounce "Wesen" the way the actors do in that show??? Names like "Hexenbiest" are just dumb and what the hell is a "Blutbaden"??? And really, why should the resistance call itself "Verrat" (deceit)... These names are just gibberish and sound like a four year old child invented them. Sorry, but I expect a certain amount of professionality from a TV show, even from a low-budget show like this. So, if you watch this show and think that they talk German: No, they do not! (there is one exception: one guy is actually German, so his pronounciation is good, but the others all suck)

And, btw, if these "Grimms" and these "Wesen" came from Germany long time ago, they would either know how to pronounce the words correctly or would have changed them into the language they use in everyday speech. In this case, as the show plays in Portland, English. So, these dumb names are just an attempt to gather some exotic flair. But it's so poorly done that it's just an epic fail.

Okay, the next thing is the storyline. Nothing extraordinary. Same storyline in every episode, just the name of the monster changes. And why does every case have to involve a supernatural being? It seems like there are no normal humans in Portland anymore. Don't get me wrong, it IS possible to constantly thematize the supernatural beings. After all, it's part of the premise of the show. But in that case they should not interfere with the normal world the way they do and the show would have to come up with a believable concept for a parallel society. "Monster kills human, Grimm kills monster" gets really boring after a few episodes. And they produced three seasons like this... And there are other things which I don't like. Like all the events around the Royal Families, the "Wesen" council and things like this. To me it is just too obviously plagiarized. Things like that already appeared in too many bad novels and series. Seen it all and seen it done much better.

Cast: uh, don't get me started... Nick, the Grimm, is mediocre at best. His acting is shallow and boring. His girlfriend Bitchy...oh uh, I mean Bitsie... I wonder what her purpose in this show is, because she's completely useless. And IF she is acting then she is overacting in some weird way. And she is highly unsympathetic. The better ones are Silas Weir Mitchell as Monroe, the werewolf, and Bree Turner as his girlfriend Rosalee. And, of course, Danny Bruno as Bud (the beaver) is really good. It's a shame that he only got a minor role.

Script: Even worse than the overall story is the scriptwriting. The dialogues are boring and sometimes I found myself thinking: "How could you talk like this? No normal person in the world would ever talk like this!"

I don't expect much from TV-shows. I don't care for effects or big- budget productions. But I want to see good actors, a good script and good dialogues. Grimm is a mediocre series which shamelessly steals ideas from every other series and book in the genre. If you like this show I suggest you try and watch "Buffy" or read the "Dresden Files". You will see how this genre is done properly. With good character arcs and good dialogues.

Great concept, lousy storyline

Author: absolutelycritical from Canada
8 December 2011

I love the idea of fairy tales gone awry. Research shows that most of the fairy tales written in the last couple of centuries weren't so "fairy" to begin with. The Brothers Grimm stories are amazing, I have the complete collection. So when I heard they were making a show based on this, I was excited. But then after watching I was disappointed. I've really tried but I can't get through the second episode. It is so bad I feel sorry for the poor cast! The plot is terribly weak. This show definitely needs better writers. I was actually going to rate this as one, but out of loyalty to Grimm stories, it has earned an extra point.

You can tell the show has a big budget so invest in some worthwhile writers goddammit. What makes a successful show? It should be obvious. Witty banter (no. 1 in my book), brilliant rapport and at least some chemistry among the characters. Skip this catastrophe. It's almost as bad as ABC's "Once Upon a Time". Stop with the crappy shows already.

Not great but Easy to watch

Author: Jamie from United Kingdom
9 April 2014

Just finished watching season 2 of Grimm on Netflix, quite a feat since there's 20 odd 40 minute episodes in each season, But there was really nothing else on... Grimm is remarkably average, I'm only leaving a review since there's so many 8s 9s and 10s, inflating the score. The acting in Grimms really not that great, with Munroe being the only standout actor. Personally I think the writings probably the worst aspect of this show, it's so predictably cheesy including typical cheesy American lines, a kind of 'let's kick some butt!' Type cheese. If you like this though then go ahead! I'd say it's all round quality is fairly comparable to doctor who, but I think the real reason I'm disappointed in Grimm is because of it's missed potential. I mean I think the ideas great, the back stories of the Wesson can be cool even if they sometimes look really bad. Think Big Bird from Sesame Street. I just feel that maybe they could have casted the characters a little better and made them more relatable, I really lack any sort of feeling towards the Grimm, I'm always rooting for some dirty angry looking creature to pull his legs off, but instead episode after episode it's just run of mill, hero always wins bad guy loses. There's no real drama or suspense, the guys invincibly boring. But yeah I've given it a 6, which I think is fair, it's definitely not the worst thing on TV but far from being a standout, easy to watch with cheap thrills. I'd have to say its ideal target audience has gotta be kids, I've thought this from the get-go, it's the kind of show that kids would love, good mix of action & fantasy, it's today's Hercules or Xena warrior princess.

So much stupidity

Author: ThirdLife from Switzerland
6 January 2015

Its sad to see a series with a huge potential in terms of storyline and flair all go to sh** just because the script is plain stupid.

Its horrific how stupid each character is and doesn't get the slightest hints. Presentation is at times equally stupid always repeating stuff that has been shown over and over again so even the most dumb audience can understand it obviously.

If you want people acting just the slightest like an average intelligent human being - this is not your show. I am just hoping they're bending the plot so overly much to fit the script in future.

At times you just want to punch almost each character just in the face because of their unbelievable stupidity. The phenomenon is very common with a lot of series, i call it "tension by stupidity".

Having a script to become utterly stupid as soon as the writers feel that one party is getting too strong and them apparently being devoid of ideas.

So lets just make the characters do more mistakes and bend, bend, bend around the plot...hoping this makes it more exciting.

It doesn't. Its idiotic.

Another wasted opportunity!

Author: cherocha from Australia
29 November 2012

Gave it a chance with three episodes, found myself wishing I hadn't bothered.

Uninteresting characters that you have no reason to care about, clichéd dialogue, and fairly lame CGI by today's standards. Nothing about the show appeals or grabs your attention. The protagonist is two-dimensional and boring, there's no reason to care about him, or any other characters for that matter.

I think it was the first episode, and he's engaging the help of some sort of reformed but still clearly unstable werewolf guy, who casually remarks to a police officer that he "hasn't killed in years", but also explains how the Grimms are basically mortal enemies of his family and kin. Then the next episode he has this werewolf guarding his dying grandmother? And we're supposed to buy this assault on our intelligence, suspend disbelief, and throw all logic out the window for the sake of some cheap, shock-tactic scares? No. Just no. With the quality of so many other great shows out there - hell even True Blood with it's hammy and over the top lore and plot lines - I can't see any reason to invest any more time in the dish of utter mediocrity that is this show.

Unique idea, ordinary presentation

Author: itt-eler from United Kingdom
9 November 2014

So, where do I start? Grimm is one of the very few ongoing shows that I'm following. Though I was thinking about giving up on it several times now, I am still waiting for the new episode week after week. I wouldn't say it's addictive, but it's watchable if you don't have a better option. I don't like plain detective/police/CSI shows much, but with mixing in some humor or fantasy or adding some strange, new characters and focusing less on the scientific crime-solving, I am ready to give anything a try. I have to admit that Grimm has a pretty unique twist to the CSI-like story and if you're into that, you'll probably enjoy it. But here are some reasons why you might not.

First of all, I have to warn you, the CGI is plain horrible. I can't even imagine how low their budget must've been for the quality to be so poor. I think the monsters' appearance has improved some since the beginning but not the other bits. The most recent scene where I couldn't decide whether to laugh or to cry was the two-headed snake.

Then there is the general problem with nowadays' TV shows: too much drama on the expense of character- and plot development and/or deviating from the original "feeling" of the show. (Obviously, there are exceptions such as Game of Thrones or Hannibal - so far.) My problem with this phenomenon is that it's creating (or trying to create) a lot of tension, but I know all along that this is just a rather cheap attempt to make me stick with the show - and that's why I'm still relaxed about all of it. To clarify what I'm talking about: I knew Juliette would get her memories back. I know that Nick will get his "Grimmhood" back, simply because too many viewers would turn away from the show if he didn't. I didn't believe for a second that Sean would die for real - honestly, we've all seen this scene so many times before in so many other shows/movies that it has completely lost its power. A (new) character conveniently appears out of thin air just in time to save the other's life. That sounds familiar, doesn't it? To me, this kind of solution is not satisfying at all, and I can't help but wonder why there aren't more people demanding more innovative ways of resolving such situations. It's a shame that the makers of this show are limiting it to be yet another conventional fantasy series where, I boldly presume, the "good" will defeat "evil" without much collateral and in the end, Nick and Juliette will live happily ever after (and so will Monroe and Rosalee).

And yet, for some mysterious reason, I'm still watching it. Probably because it's still a notch better than the rest: even though I have problems with the presentation, at least I haven't seen the basic concept so many times. I will just stick with my previous statement - if you are in need of a new show to watch and you have finished the better ones, Grimm is fine.

Great Fun, Awesome Production Values, Casting, Pedigree

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
8 November 2013

Not a well-known fact, but although the inimitable Joss Whedon is generally given all the credit for the Buffy/Angel phenom, in fact Joss had a partner who, while given proper billing in the opening marquee, did not often step into the limelight. That would be none other than Mr. David Greenwalt, who was kind enough to use the many skills he picked up therefrom to bring us this wonderful riff on the Grimm fairy tales. It's clever, and other reviewers here have spent a lot of time on the plot, so there is no need to go there. But as Buffy/Angel alumni know, the trick to these things is not merely story but top actors, highly developed relationships between the characters, and sharp dialogue. This show delivers. Almost from the first episode, viewers could not help but admire the oddball "Lone Ranger/Tonto" relationship between David Giuntoli and Silas Weir Mitchell. Bitsie Tulloch is a major find, she can not only sell her part but her eyes should be insured by Lloyds and trademarked. The supporting cast is universally good. The cliffhanger plots tend to invite a little peckishness on the part of reviewers, but, to be fair, all the new action shows are doing this, so to poke at one is to poke at them all. Greenwalt has learnt well, and knows the importance of keeping the viewer on his or her toes -- as for example in the episode when Giuntoli's character wrestles a very dangerous stranger to the ground only to find out .... it's his mother. These are the sort of treats we have come to expect from this series and if the writers don't hoist themselves on their own petards (over-write the plot arcs to death) it should remain good fun for some time.

something addictive about this. (spoilers)

Author: audrey-sondheimer
30 October 2011

I watched this show out of pure boredom with nothing else to do. But I ended up enjoying it. The first 20 minutes were quite boring. spoilers: It didn't even get interesting until the cop and the wolf first went to the mans house. but after that is what drew me in. Too be honest I am not quite sure of what to make of the show just yet, but I am hoping something amazing does come of it. It has some weird seductiveness about it, that makes you think: whats a grimm, what type of show will this be, what the hell happened in the end of the first episode. I will definitely keep watching just to see what will happen later in the season. The main problem they have is the dull boring moments, I just wish they would explain more what kind of show this is going to be. Is it going to be a cop show, with criminals and solving crimes every episode, or understanding this guys special power and into his world of "magic".

Page 2 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]