"Game of Thrones: The Wolf and the Lion (#1.5)"

"Game of Thrones" The Wolf and the Lion (2011)

« Prev | 5 of 73 Episodes | Next »

Wow...now that's a payoff

Author: tad-32 from Canada
16 May 2011

After what I considered to be a ponderous episode 4, I find that it was all a build up to an incredible payoff in an amazing episode 5. Incredible performances, showdowns, and cliffhangers are everywhere.

Sean Bean and Mark Addy require special mention for their scenes together in this episode, their first together since episode 2 (and one realizes that episode 3 and 4 were weaker for the lack of them). Excellent performers on their own, together they achieve an incredible dramatic synergy.

Lena Headey and Mark Addy also require special mention for their scene together in this episode. Very telling and frank.

Last but not least, if you are squeamish about sex, nudity, violence, or blood...this is not the series for you, and definitely not this episode. :)

An Episode Full of Action and Intrigues

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
16 April 2014

Tyrion discovers that Catelyn is actually bringing him to the Vale of Arryn, and not to Winterfell as she said, to mislead the Lannister and to meet her sister Lysa. However the group is attacked by a hill tribe and Tyrion protects Catelyn. Meanwhile Ned discovers dangerous secrets in King's Landing and Arya overhears two men in the dungeons plotting a war and the assassination of her father. There is a meeting of King Robert and the small council and the king orders Ned to kill Daenerys, her unborn son and Viserys, but he replies that this would be a dishonorable assignment and resigns to his position of King's Hand. He goes to a Littlefinger's brothel and finds a bastard son of Robert. When he leaves the place, Jaime is waiting for him with a little army because he heard about the imprisonment of Tyrion. They slaughter Ned's guards and Ned is stabbed on the back on his leg.

"The Wolf and the Lion" is an episode full of action and intrigues in King's Landing. Ned learns how dangerous is the King's Hand position and for the first time he confronts the Machiavellian Robert. The cunning Tyrion will certainly find a way to revert his situation. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "The Wolf and the Lion"

Etheric violence and exciting character development

Author: igoatabase from France
20 May 2011

Anyone for a 100% Stark versus Lannister ? Spartacus : Blood and Sand had its The Thing in the Pit, now Game of Thrones has The Wolf and the Lion ! So much violence was almost refreshing and the swordfights were brutal, specially the one with the wicked brothers, and well choreographed. The end was specially shocking considering how much Ned had grown on us in the past episodes. One minute you're the hand of the king, the next you're left for dead in a dark alley. I can't wait to see how they'll respond even if Lady Stark definitely made the wrong move by kidnapping the dwarf ! However it allowed us to discover a whole new side of her life… her mentally disturbed sister ! From the disturbing milking session to the vertiginous dungeon it was reminiscent of epic fantasy productions like Willow and Conan of course ! Let's hope the prisoner isn't a snack for some creepy flying creature ! In general I really enjoyed the confusing way relationships are developed. They're all wicked and I have no idea who are the true friends and who are the evil foes. My only disappointment was that I missed Daenerys but at least the two gay men reminded me of Viserys because of one's resemblance with him. In fact it's interesting that so many sexual aspects are covered : Raw and wild ride with a hot female slave, androgynous characters… There're so many elements to blur the lines and that definitely makes the show even deeper !

Great episode

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
4 September 2014

With this episode, we hit the halfway point of the first season. We get more new characters and a new location. As a result, we do not see either the Dothraki or the Wall in this episode.

We get a good scene between Ned and Ser Barrister Selmy (Ian McElhinney) Tyrion and a nameless character played by Jerome Flynn (yes him from Robson & Jerome) enjoy some post battle banter, the high point of the episode is a spectacular confrontation between The Hound and his brother The Mountain. There is a brilliant exchange between Varys and Littlefinger too, an then of course we have the ending. Another great ending.

This is an episode that really shows Sean Bean's gift both for the physical side of acting and the emotional side. His Eddard carrying the weight of his disappointments and his honour to do his duty on his shoulders.

Then there is his fight against Jaime Lannister. I need to praise Bean and Coaster-Waldau for their performance here; Coaster-Waldau especially carries off Jaime's cockiness… and his rage when a fair single combat is disrupted.

But Mark Addy? I've not been a fan of him in this show, however there is Brilliant acting on his part. Especially his rage at Ned.

The Lion Is About to Strike!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
9 June 2015

This is the fifth episode of the first season of Game of Thrones. It is a rage-filled, emotional-heavy episode that features fine acting and a great ending. I was slightly disappointed we do not see Daenerys or the Dothrackis in this episode, although they are used in context. I liked this episode because you can see the rivalry between the Stark and the Lannister family as they are always in each others throat as they try to be the number one family in the kingdom.

In this episode, "The Wolf and the Lion," King Robert learns that the Dothrakis are going to bring war to the kingdom, so he plans to murder Vaenerys. Ned Stark brings the anger out of the king when he refuses. Arya overhears of a plot against her father. As Ned leaves Kings Landing, he runs into some trouble. Meanwhile, Catelyn Stark brings her prisoner, Tyrion to her sister's keep, where she happens to be the widow of Jon Arryn.

Overall, this is another solid early entry in the Game of Thrones catalog. I really enjoyed the episode, particularly the rivalry between the Lannisters and the Starks which culminates in an epic sword battle towards the end. I did find the little kid who played the son of Catelyn's sister quite annoying, but other than that the acting was really good.

My Grade: A-

A perfect improvement over episode 3 and 4

Author: gavin-thelordofthefu-48-460297 from United States
13 April 2016

The Wolf and the Lion is perfect episode and improves over episode 3 and 4. It brings some more character development to not only the Stark family, but the other characters as well while having some very neat action sequences. And that's a good thing since it has a nice balance between character study and action. My only quibble is that it left me wanting to see more of how Tyrion will handle his predicament when he got arrested for his rumored crimes against Bran Stark.

Everything else is done well. The acting continues to shine from all of the actors' performances especially Eddard who has a sense of humanity to him under his smug face when he chose not to kill Daenerys. The story is well-written, the script is smart, the dialog is excellent, the music score is still amazing, and it has a much fine pacing this time around.

Overall, great episode and a great improvement.

The Starks and Lannisters look set for war

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
10 August 2015

Things are looking dangerous for Ned Stark and his daughters as news that his wife has taken Tyrion Lannister prisoner reach King's Landing. If that weren't bad enough Arya overhears two men plotting against her father then Ned loses his most important ally, the King, when he refuses to back the king's plan to have Daenerys Targaryen murdered before she gives birth. Away from the capital Catelyn Stark takes Tyrion to her sister's castle; the Eyrie.

We may not visit The Wall or travel over the Narrow Sea in this episode but that doesn't matter as there is so much going on in King's Landing; everybody seems to be scheming and trying to determine who their allies will be… not easy when alliances are based on picking who you think will come out on top rather than trust or friendship. The episode is top and tailed by some fine action sequences; both of which include shocking moments; including the decapitation of a horse and a man getting a sword thrust through his head! The cast continues to excel; here Sean Bean does particularly well demonstrating he can do action as well as subtle emotion. He has a couple of great scenes with Mark Addy's King Robert; firstly a humorous one where he mocks his friends inability to fit into his armour then the more serious one where we see that friendship has its limits and the King is furious that The Hand won't back his murderous plan. This episode proved to be an interesting introduction to Catelyn's sister; she is clearly one of the maddest characters yet; she is still breast feeding her son who appears to be eight or nine! Other scenes worthy of not include a frank talk between the king and his wife, an talk between Lords Baelish and Varys and an amusing scene between Arya and a couple of guards. Overall a top notch episode that hints at things to come; there is a fair amount of violence, swearing, sex and nudity but I suspect anybody put off by that would have dropped the series by now!

This is no longer a game for two players

Author: petra_ste
6 April 2014

A compelling mid-season climax, The Wolf and The Lion is also the point where the series took flight for me, with sharp dialogue and an impending sense of menace looming over Ned Stark (Sean Bean), saddled with the task of unravelling a mystery in the vipers' nest of King's Landing. When his daughter Arya (Maisie Williams) glimpses at a disguised Varys (Conleth Hill) plotting with the same man who interacted with the Targaryens a few episodes ago, we start to genuinely appreciate the scale of the series and the intrigues between the surface, with dark machinations ticking like the gears of the superb title sequence.

Both spymaster Varys and social climber Littlefinger (Aidan Gillen) take shape as fearsomely skilled players. Other notable scenes are a bitter heart-to-heart conversation between King Robert (Mark Addy) and Queen Cersei (Lena Headey), providing nuance to a relationship made of mutual loathing, and the confrontation between Ned and Jaime Lannister (Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau), the latter beginning to show glimpses of humanity under his smug facade.

Wow

Author: AffeL
4 April 2017

This one was really good, i mean really good. It had everything you want from an episode and then some. What more could you ask for.

The cast is so talented. Every single one. Also the people who work behind the spotlight. The writers and directors and make up artists and so on.

10 out of 10. Fantastic episode, this show just gets better after each episode. It really does. HBO is the best.

GOT Binge...

Author: jcbsn from Utah
18 June 2016

One of the more exciting episodes so far. Tyrion gets some battle action and is also informed first hand about what happened to Bran. Arya keeps herself in the running as Ned's best son, while Ned is trying to figure out what is going on with the king and his throne. Although he and his wife don't know how things are slowly starting to fall apart back at home. I'm getting more and more ready for winter by the minute.

Massive dragon skull, hope we see some dragon fights, although I've never been a fan of conveniently learning major plot points by simply eavesdropping and not being noticed.

The two guys running the underground mafia seem to be trying to out mafia each other. Turns out Arya is better at being in the mafia than both of them, which makes me roll my eyes, but it looks like everyone else is starting to acknowledge how good of a son she is turning out to be. And we're introducing a new kingdom, I was starting to wonder where these seven kingdoms were going to come from.

King finally gets it together just in time to declare war on the dude's who are clearly way more hardcore than his people. Although riding The Mountain into battle against Drogo would be pretty epic. Stark calls him on it and rolls out, but woah, 10 year old still sucking the boob...

King apparently fully realizes his kingdom is crap, but is too heartbroken to care at all. The queen has known all along and he has never felt anything for her (still doesn't give her a pass for banging her brother on the regular). Speaking of her brother, he sucks.