"Game of Thrones: Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things (#1.4)"
« Prev | 4 of 60 Episodes | Next »

Agile writing, energetic acting and unbreakable immersion

Author: igoatabase from France
10 May 2011

Once the ending credits roll you'll realize you're shaking. Fear ? Admiration ? Anger ? The wicked emotions this fourth episode should make you feel could be a first for your televisual experience. With the characters gradually growing on us their every scenes seem more authentic and pivotal. Since the pilot we know that everything can change in a few split seconds. One minute the little boy was climbing, the next he is a cripple. So Game of the Thrones play in the same league of masterpieces like Dexter and Lost, shows that have pushed the quality barrier far beyond its audience expectations. I'm talking about these memorable moments when you forget it's actually TV. And when it comes to convey such extreme after effects no one can deny that talents like Michael C. Hall, Jennifer Carpenter, Terry O'Quinn and Matthew Fox of course are the first names that pop up in your head as best examples. I should also mention Spartacus : Blood and Sand considering how much I praised the show and Andy Whitfield's performance but it wouldn't be reasonable. At least it's the trembling resonance the acting had on me this time.

The first impact came from Emilia Clarke as Daenerys and Harry Lloyd as Viserys. The last bathtub sequence was surprising, sensual and more important very enlightening. Indeed it allowed us to learn more about the fantasy elements that populate the kingdoms, specially the legendary dragons, and unveiled the evil brother backstory. But it's really when he tried to dominate his sister again that you should feel the ground quaking beneath your seat. And don't get wrong, it's really happening. In your stars or in your skull, don't pretend you can resist her. The second impact would be what happened in the cold winter arc. Jon Snow's story is so dark and disturbing ! It's the perfect counter poison to the others even if I also expect storm and other destructive elements to unleash their fury on our friends and foes. The speech Snow and his new chubby buddy were given was horrific and even more frightening than the dark fairytale the creepy grandma told little Bran. Winter is Coming ? It seems even Ned could be underestimating what it really means. Last but not least the third impact, that also served as a cliffhanger, was definitely Catelyn Stark's escape at the inn. They couldn't have made a better choice than casting Michelle Fairley as Ned's wife. Like Sean Bean she had already impressed us but this installment you'll learn why people call her Lady Stark. It was pure grace and strength put into motion. It also revealed what really separates some Starks from some Lannisters, because they aren't all just black or white.

Between two shakes there was still plenty of room for entertaining and interesting stuff. Arya's role was minor this time but her little chat with her father was refreshing and definitely intriguing. What a cute and fierce portrayal of the inevitable Joan of Arc she should become ! I don't know about her destiny considering I haven't read the novel yet but I can't see how she could restrain herself to just become a pretty queen. Once all grown up she could be to the show who Deedlit is to Record of Lodoss War, a beautiful and inspiring female warrior. An other element I quite enjoyed was Ned's lecture in the park about trust and issues. As for his dangerous mind game with Cersei Lannister, played by the delicate Lena Headey, my only complain would be about the lighting. In fact it's not the first time I have noticed the issue, that its whiteness is far too artificial. It's slightly disappointing because other than that the production is an immersion model and surely a delight for graphics whores and other amateurs of fine arts. And should I even mention the dreamy title sequence ? To conclude a mandatory sequence, when it comes to medieval fiction, was also featured and even if I found it a little rushed it was definitely exciting and was also the perfect occasion to learn more about an enigmatic character we knew nothing about until now.

Two Great Women

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
14 April 2014

Daenerys and Viserys Targaryen have an argument and Viserys hits his sister. However she reacts and tells him that he will lose his hands if he strikes her again. Tyrion Lannister visits Bran at Winterfell and has a cold reception by Robb Stark. The cynical dwarf gives the design of a special saddle for Bran so that he can ride again. The fat and coward Samwell Tarly joins the Night's Watch and is bullied by the other recruits, but Jon Snow protects him. In King's Landing, Ned investigates the death of Jon Arryn and discovers that he was reading a book. Littlefinger sits side by side with Sansa in the tournament and tells the story of two brothers to her. Catelyn and Rodrik Cassel are having lunch in a inn and they have an unexpected encounter with Tyrion.

"Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things" has two great moments promoted by two women: the first when Daenerys unexpectedly reacts to her brother's aggression and imposes her position of queen; the second, in the very end, when Catelyn summons her acquaintances in the inn to arrest Tyrion. The rest of the episode is development of characters and situations. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things"

A bit better than episodes 2 and 3, but it only uses about 60% of the show's potential.

Author: axel-koch from Austria
25 May 2013

This is again an episode that doesn't include big stuff (well, we've got a joust, that's something) or surprises in the plot, however, I still liked it more than the two before because there's not much that seems unnecessary in this episode. John Bradley, who plays the new guy at the Night's Watch, really exaggerated his role as this useless coward that gets bullied there and I thought they focused on this story too much. Therefore I'm glad that Jon Snow and the Night's Watch are completely absent in the next episode. But since they used the lots of scenes there to get the audience acquainted with the heavy life that lies ahead of Jon and his colleagues and they also portrayed his kindness very well, it was nothing that bored or actually annoyed me. Another character that gets way too much attention is Littlefinger, but that didn't bother me since Aidan Gillen plays him very interestingly. The other flaw of this episode would be some writing weaknesses since there are also a lot of changes to the novel in this episode.

Lena Headey and Mark Addy really got too little screen time in this episode with the latter only having about two sentences in the whole 55 minutes, but I understand that it's not at all easy to include so many characters in every episode. The crew created a stunning visual style as always and I thought they did really well with exposing things and developing characters. The fight scene of Daenerys and Viserys would be the best example for this, though Harry Lloyd overacts his part just as in the episode before this one. I mean, we get that his character is both a jerk and a coward, he doesn't have to illustrate that in every single scene he's in.

The outstanding scenes in this episode were Cersei and Ned's little conversation and Bran getting to do something again, while the outstanding cast members are rather hard to name. I would say that the women are more interesting in this episode, notably Michelle Fairley (who has a really great final scene with Peter Dinklage) and Emilia Clarke who both can really exhibit self-confidence.

Still confusing, but at least some interesting development is starting...

Author: ipoweri
1 February 2015

We get introduced to a new character, Samwell Tarly, that seems completely useless, but Jon Snow protects him again showing what a great character Jon Snow is and it turns out Tarly has a horrible background as his father left him, which makes Jon feel connected to him as he has a similar background. This is one of the few developing stories that is interesting to be honest.

The sibling relationship between Daenerys and Viserys continues to be not good, but there is way to little backstory to really tell the audience why they are acting the way they are. Oh and Daenerys is pregnant.

The dwarf are being accused of a murder attempt he did not commit, that will be interesting to see the conclusion of.

Slightly better episode than number2&3, but this show needs to be more comprehensible soon, or the only audience it will have is die hard fan of the books or people that just like to see a combination of medieval, violence, deceit and sex without any proper plot. And that would exclude me from the intended audience... We'll see...

First weak episode

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
3 September 2014

In the fourth (and for me weakest) episode so far, we are introduced to the self confessed coward Samwell Tarly (John Bradley) when he joins the wall.

This is the first time we get any good scenes with Robb Stark (Richard Madden) and Theon Greyjoy (Alfie Allen). Both share good scenes with Tyrion.

Tyrion Lannister is a great character and Peter Dinklage is truly a great actor who seems to being the best out in everyone.

I'm glad Jamie Sives is given more to do as Jory in this episode and he shares a good scene with Jamie Lannister (Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau). We get another nice scene with Arya and Ned. Maisie Williams is simply stunning in her portrayal so far. Everything comes together perfectly in that scene. Not that Arya is the only one who has a moment to shine, Sophie Turner shared a good scene with Littlefinger (Aidan Gillen) at Tournament and there are several good scenes with Jon and Sam.

Harry Lloyd remains in top form as the arrogant Viserys, who is quickly put in his place by his sister Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) the lovely Roxanne McKee who plays Dorea looks good and I hope to see more of her, and I'm really starting to warm to Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont

Overall this episode wasn't as good as the precious three, but thanks to Tyrion finding himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm still intrigued as to what will follow.

A Misstep In The Kingdom

Author: ROUS Reviews from Maine
15 May 2011

Reviews Of Unusual Size!

Re: There's a joust, some detective work, brother and sister bickering and a dwarf in a tight spot.

Outstanding: Like the previous episodes, number five has some great acting and sets. I'm consistently impressed with the King's Landing location, the grandeur with just the right amount of lived in feeling.

Unacceptable: This episode felt pretty light on plot and I think part of that was the direction. The joust was woefully short and severely lacked the grandeur and spectacle it needed.

Summary: A lot happened, but it felt like the whole episode was a waste of time. It was odd that as I watched it, I was enjoying everything but as the credits rolled, I felt like I hadn't watched anything worth remembering. The strains of a TV budget are showing a bit here and there, with the small, straggling Horde of Dothraki and the abbreviated joust.