"Game of Thrones: Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things (#1.4)"
« Prev | 4 of 73 Episodes | Next »

Two Great Women

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
14 April 2014

Daenerys and Viserys Targaryen have an argument and Viserys hits his sister. However she reacts and tells him that he will lose his hands if he strikes her again. Tyrion Lannister visits Bran at Winterfell and has a cold reception by Robb Stark. The cynical dwarf gives the design of a special saddle for Bran so that he can ride again. The fat and coward Samwell Tarly joins the Night's Watch and is bullied by the other recruits, but Jon Snow protects him. In King's Landing, Ned investigates the death of Jon Arryn and discovers that he was reading a book. Littlefinger sits side by side with Sansa in the tournament and tells the story of two brothers to her. Catelyn and Rodrik Cassel are having lunch in a inn and they have an unexpected encounter with Tyrion.

"Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things" has two great moments promoted by two women: the first when Daenerys unexpectedly reacts to her brother's aggression and imposes her position of queen; the second, in the very end, when Catelyn summons her acquaintances in the inn to arrest Tyrion. The rest of the episode is development of characters and situations. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things"

Agile writing, energetic acting and unbreakable immersion

Author: igoatabase from France
10 May 2011

Once the ending credits roll you'll realize you're shaking. Fear ? Admiration ? Anger ? The wicked emotions this fourth episode should make you feel could be a first for your televisual experience. With the characters gradually growing on us their every scenes seem more authentic and pivotal. Since the pilot we know that everything can change in a few split seconds. One minute the little boy was climbing, the next he is a cripple. So Game of the Thrones play in the same league of masterpieces like Dexter and Lost, shows that have pushed the quality barrier far beyond its audience expectations. I'm talking about these memorable moments when you forget it's actually TV. And when it comes to convey such extreme after effects no one can deny that talents like Michael C. Hall, Jennifer Carpenter, Terry O'Quinn and Matthew Fox of course are the first names that pop up in your head as best examples. I should also mention Spartacus : Blood and Sand considering how much I praised the show and Andy Whitfield's performance but it wouldn't be reasonable. At least it's the trembling resonance the acting had on me this time.

The first impact came from Emilia Clarke as Daenerys and Harry Lloyd as Viserys. The last bathtub sequence was surprising, sensual and more important very enlightening. Indeed it allowed us to learn more about the fantasy elements that populate the kingdoms, specially the legendary dragons, and unveiled the evil brother backstory. But it's really when he tried to dominate his sister again that you should feel the ground quaking beneath your seat. And don't get wrong, it's really happening. In your stars or in your skull, don't pretend you can resist her. The second impact would be what happened in the cold winter arc. Jon Snow's story is so dark and disturbing ! It's the perfect counter poison to the others even if I also expect storm and other destructive elements to unleash their fury on our friends and foes. The speech Snow and his new chubby buddy were given was horrific and even more frightening than the dark fairytale the creepy grandma told little Bran. Winter is Coming ? It seems even Ned could be underestimating what it really means. Last but not least the third impact, that also served as a cliffhanger, was definitely Catelyn Stark's escape at the inn. They couldn't have made a better choice than casting Michelle Fairley as Ned's wife. Like Sean Bean she had already impressed us but this installment you'll learn why people call her Lady Stark. It was pure grace and strength put into motion. It also revealed what really separates some Starks from some Lannisters, because they aren't all just black or white.

Between two shakes there was still plenty of room for entertaining and interesting stuff. Arya's role was minor this time but her little chat with her father was refreshing and definitely intriguing. What a cute and fierce portrayal of the inevitable Joan of Arc she should become ! I don't know about her destiny considering I haven't read the novel yet but I can't see how she could restrain herself to just become a pretty queen. Once all grown up she could be to the show who Deedlit is to Record of Lodoss War, a beautiful and inspiring female warrior. An other element I quite enjoyed was Ned's lecture in the park about trust and issues. As for his dangerous mind game with Cersei Lannister, played by the delicate Lena Headey, my only complain would be about the lighting. In fact it's not the first time I have noticed the issue, that its whiteness is far too artificial. It's slightly disappointing because other than that the production is an immersion model and surely a delight for graphics whores and other amateurs of fine arts. And should I even mention the dreamy title sequence ? To conclude a mandatory sequence, when it comes to medieval fiction, was also featured and even if I found it a little rushed it was definitely exciting and was also the perfect occasion to learn more about an enigmatic character we knew nothing about until now.

The writing, so good

Author: AffeL
4 April 2017

Fantastic episode. Amazing acting from Dinklage and the rest of the cast. Great pacing like always.

The episode was well put together, from the composer, writers, director, crew and cast. You can see that every single one gave their all.

The show only gets better and better after each episode.

Little happens in an interesting way

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
3 August 2015

Having settled in at King's Landing Ned Stark is starting to look into what his predecessor was doing shortly before his death; a search that takes him to the king's illegitimate son and to a book listing the high-born of Westeros, their children and what they look like. While there are no revelations it is clear that if the wrongs truths are exposed his life will be in danger. At The Wall Jon Snow is settling into his training and stands up for new recruit Samwell Tarly; a fat lad who is frightened of everything… this leads to a speech Ser Alliser Thorne about what they can expect north of the wall went winter comes. Over the sea Viserys Targaryen makes the mistake of striking his sister and learns she will not be dominated by him anymore.

In many ways this is an episode where not much really happens; it is however a series of interesting scenes that hint at things to come or tell us more about the characters. We learn why Theon Greyjoy lives with the Starks in a brief but interesting scene and Alliser Thorne's speech to Jon and Sam tells us just how bad winter can be… something we will no doubt see at some point in the series. We see that there are strong women in the story in a couple of great scenes; first when Daenerys stands up to her brother and tells Jorah Mormont that her brother will never sit on the Iron Throne and then when Catelyn Stark has Tyrion Lannister arrested; Emilia Clarke and Michelle Fairley are great in these roles. This is counterbalanced by a delightful scene between Ned and his daughter Arya where he makes it clear what is expected of her as a young woman… things that are of no interest to her. There isn't much in the way of action but as the tournament gets underway a jousting accident leads to one of the series most disturbing deaths to date as a knight gurgles blood after taking a lance to the throat. Overall yet another solid episode.

Very Interesting Episode!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
30 May 2015

This is the fourth episode of the first season of Game of Thrones. It is another great episode and it has a spectacular ending involving Tyrion Lannister and Lady Catelyn. The show moves along at its own pace and it can drag at times, but this episode is mainly politics and an investigation of some sort. We need to understand the background story before we can delve deep into the action.

In this episode, "Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things," Ned begins his investigation of Jon Arryn's death and he learns some interesting things about Jon. Jon Snow befriends a bumbling man named Sam who is forced to join the Night Watch. Sansa refuses to speak to her father and Arya begins her sword lessons. Overseas, Daenarys shows her brother she can also exercise some authority.

Overall, this is a really good episode. It may be light on the action, but the tension and intrigue remains very high. I loved the ending and I wonder how they will move forward from here on out.

My Grade: A

Tyrion Time

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
17 April 2015

These little reviews are hard because of the number of characters that are wending their way to the unknown. The plotting is superb. We have strong women, strong men, powerless women, and powerless men. We start with Bran having a dream that he is following a raven which has three eyes. When he awakens, he goes to court and finds that Tyrion has figured a way to get him on a horse, using the proper prosthetics. We return to John, who is fighting every day, teaching a group of ineffectual men to be soldiers (or should we say, cannon fodder). We meet a new character, Samwell Tarley, who has been disowned by his father who hopes he will die in battle. John sees in him a brother in arms (he is actually the opposite, a coward, afraid of heights, and so on). We are introduced to the joust where a knight is horribly killed. There is more intrigue involving Stark and the King. There is an exchange of war stories that shows what a lesser creature the king is. The scene ends as Tyrion and his mouth seem to be heading into another realm.

GOT Binge...

Author: jcbsn from Utah
18 June 2016

I figured an episode of story line and plot development was needed. Arya, the greatest son Ned never had, although Jon Snow is definitely up there as well. I haven't seen much out of his heir sons up to this point. Speaking of Jon Snow, this Sam guy is pretty heartbreaking. At least Jon Snow come into his life. Snow is becoming my favorite character, which hopefully means he doesn't die soon.

Another weird bro and sister fight.

Apparently Jon Snow is gay. Nope not gay, just sees things in the bigger picture. Maybe just a little gay and a lot of awesome.

It seems like seasons don't rotate like they normally do. Summer and winters don't have a specific timeline they keep too. I'm guessing the hardcore dudes from episode 1 are the white walkers who are going to mess shiz up in the winter time, which at this point I'm fine with because some of these people after the throne are really starting to bug me.

Ah, The Mountain makes his first appearance. I also have a strong dislike for Cristiano Ronaldo. And knights who are full of themselves.

A bit better than episodes 2 and 3, but it only uses about 60% of the show's potential.

Author: axel-koch from Austria
25 May 2013

This is again an episode that doesn't include big stuff (well, we've got a joust, that's something) or surprises in the plot, however, I still liked it more than the two before because there's not much that seems unnecessary in this episode. John Bradley, who plays the new guy at the Night's Watch, really exaggerated his role as this useless coward that gets bullied there and I thought they focused on this story too much. Therefore I'm glad that Jon Snow and the Night's Watch are completely absent in the next episode. But since they used the lots of scenes there to get the audience acquainted with the heavy life that lies ahead of Jon and his colleagues and they also portrayed his kindness very well, it was nothing that bored or actually annoyed me. Another character that gets way too much attention is Littlefinger, but that didn't bother me since Aidan Gillen plays him very interestingly. The other flaw of this episode would be some writing weaknesses since there are also a lot of changes to the novel in this episode.

Lena Headey and Mark Addy really got too little screen time in this episode with the latter only having about two sentences in the whole 55 minutes, but I understand that it's not at all easy to include so many characters in every episode. The crew created a stunning visual style as always and I thought they did really well with exposing things and developing characters. The fight scene of Daenerys and Viserys would be the best example for this, though Harry Lloyd overacts his part just as in the episode before this one. I mean, we get that his character is both a jerk and a coward, he doesn't have to illustrate that in every single scene he's in.

The outstanding scenes in this episode were Cersei and Ned's little conversation and Bran getting to do something again, while the outstanding cast members are rather hard to name. I would say that the women are more interesting in this episode, notably Michelle Fairley (who has a really great final scene with Peter Dinklage) and Emilia Clarke who both can really exhibit self-confidence.

A brilliant and prefectly thought episode.

Author: timothymcveigh from United Kingdom
11 April 2016

So the episode starts with one of Bran's dreams and then shows Tyrion as he is making his way back to Kings Landing but stops at Winter fell. He then gives Bran a gift he then leaves to spend at night in a brothel and one of my favorite characters on the show arrives Samuel at the wall and becomes good friends with Jon. The handmaiden then baths with Viserys who tells her a story about dragons and then starts being a awful person to the handmaiden which shows how he is angry about everything that is going on with Khal Drogo not giving him his army to take the iron throne.

So the episode ends with Tyrion being arrested by Catelyn Stark for the attempted assassination of Bran. Ned was mainly finding out more about Jon Arryn's death.

So overall the episode is another great episode to Game of Thrones so it has had a fantastic start so far.

First weak episode

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
3 September 2014

In the fourth (and for me weakest) episode so far, we are introduced to the self confessed coward Samwell Tarly (John Bradley) when he joins the wall.

This is the first time we get any good scenes with Robb Stark (Richard Madden) and Theon Greyjoy (Alfie Allen). Both share good scenes with Tyrion.

Tyrion Lannister is a great character and Peter Dinklage is truly a great actor who seems to being the best out in everyone.

I'm glad Jamie Sives is given more to do as Jory in this episode and he shares a good scene with Jamie Lannister (Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau). We get another nice scene with Arya and Ned. Maisie Williams is simply stunning in her portrayal so far. Everything comes together perfectly in that scene. Not that Arya is the only one who has a moment to shine, Sophie Turner shared a good scene with Littlefinger (Aidan Gillen) at Tournament and there are several good scenes with Jon and Sam.

Harry Lloyd remains in top form as the arrogant Viserys, who is quickly put in his place by his sister Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) the lovely Roxanne McKee who plays Dorea looks good and I hope to see more of her, and I'm really starting to warm to Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont

Overall this episode wasn't as good as the precious three, but thanks to Tyrion finding himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm still intrigued as to what will follow.