IMDb > "Game of Thrones" Lord Snow (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Game of Thrones: Lord Snow (#1.3)"

"Game of Thrones" Lord Snow (2011)

« Prev | 3 of 60 Episodes | Next »

Intrigues and Discoveries

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
7 April 2014

Ned Stark arrives at the King's Landing and is summoned to attend a meeting of the small council and he learns that King Robert is bankrupted. The he meets Arya and explains the attitude of her sister that will marry Joffrey. Bran does not remember what happened to him and will never walk again. Catelyn travels to King's landing with Rodrik Cassel to show the dagger to her husband and she is protected by her old friend Petyr 'Littlefinger' Baelish that hides her in her brothel. Jon Snow uses his skills to train the Night's Watch. Daenerys uses sex to control and impose on Khal Drogo and his warriors. Catelyn and Ned Stark discover the name of the owner of the dagger used by the assassin.

"Lord Snow" shows Catelyn and Ned Stark discovering the owner of the dagger. Ned also finds the economic situation of the realm. Arya now is learning how to fight sword and her bastard brother is finding leadership among the Night's Watch. But the best part is Daenerys finally acting like a queen. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Lord Snow"

Fantastic ambivalent dance

Author: igoatabase from France
2 May 2011

From beginning to end the experience was even more immersive than in the previous installments. The last sequence with Arya brought me back to the time I was dreaming about Willow. What a refreshing ending ! And how worrying to turn her cute and joyful sword dance into a battle Ned remembered ! Is she destined to become a Joan of Arc ? Will she have to disguise as a man to fight beside her father and brothers ? Daenerys, Jon Snow… There're so many characters to care about and others like Jaime Lannister to hate ! In fact I wonder why her evil brother is still alive. A king ? He seems all alone and powerless so I really hope we'll learn more about him in the upcoming episodes. But around them we really assisted to a ballet of wonders. From the exotic environments to the artifacts TV has never felt so fantastic. Comparing it to The Lord of the Rings trilogy is nearly an insult considering that show has already grown on us and imposed its own unique identity. Moreover once the episode was over I couldn't help imagining what would happen next and it's definitely the mark of greatness. The little boy in his bed who just woke up and wants to get scared because his reality couldn't be more frightening. The old lady did a vicious job at telling the story ! And what was happening on Jon's side perfectly matched her words. But in the end beside the majestic castles and bamboos in the wind the one scene I have decided to keep gently in a corner of my mind is the heartwarming passage between Ned and Arya in her bedroom. The most inspiring father and daughter relationship ! Last but not least I already want to learn Dothraki ! The unique language definitely contributes to the authenticity of the show.

I love Syrio

Author: ROUS Reviews from Maine
15 May 2011

Reviews Of Unusual Size! Re: Jon tries to adjust to life on the wall, Tyrion Pees, Arya practices, Richard drinks, the Lannister's scheme and Ned tries to adjust to life in the King's court.

Outstanding: This was a pretty enjoyable episode, considering it was mostly about people wandering around and getting used to the new status quo. Then Syrio, Arya's "Dancing" instructor showed up and it became the best thing ever.

Unacceptable: There might have been something I disliked, but the last scene wiped it away.

Summary: Seriously, Syrio is so awesome, I can't stand it. He was in it for like.... 5 minutes, tops and he's my favorite character. The scenes on the wall were really great too, the way Tyrion subtly helps Jon. Man, I love the casting in this show.

A good introduction to Littlefinger, Varys and Syrio Forrell

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
3 September 2014

In the third episode, Ned and his daughters finally reach the capital of King's Landing. Where we meet a host of new characters. We are introduced to Petyr Baelish (Aidan Gillen), aka "Littlefinger," and Coneth Hill is perfect as Varys, the King's Master of Whisperers.

The scenes at the Wall give us plenty of Tyrion, (which in my opinion is a good thing) There are a lot of fine moments in this episode, in particular a couple of scenes with Arya. The high point is the final scene which features Arya as she studies swordsmanship.

Jaime's more fleshed out here. One of my favourite scenes was where Eddard enters the throne room (the first time we see both the throne room and the Iron Throne). It's another great tension filled scene between the two and I enjoyed it. Another great scene is the farewell between Jon and Tyrion. The scenes between the two of them have been some of my favourites so far, as I'm a bit sad that there may not be any more.

But a key scene for this episode is between Ned and Arya, and how they spend their time together. Maisie Williams is showcased, and is predictably fantastic, it's a well done scene and Maisie seems capable of great chemistry with Sean Bean and, indeed, everyone else she acts with so far.

Maisie Williams simply steals this episode for me. She had some good scenes including a rather hilarious line. Her scene with Ned (Sean Bean) was a touching one, and her scene with dancing master Syrio Forell is one of my favourites of the season so far.

As for the rest of the cast Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau proves to be a fine pantomime villain as Jaime Lannister and Harry Lloyd is terrific as Viserys.