IMDb > "Game of Thrones" Lord Snow (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Game of Thrones: Lord Snow (#1.3)"

"Game of Thrones" Lord Snow (2011)

« Prev | 3 of 60 Episodes | Next »

Intrigues and Discoveries

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
7 April 2014

Ned Stark arrives at the King's Landing and is summoned to attend a meeting of the small council and he learns that King Robert is bankrupted. The he meets Arya and explains the attitude of her sister that will marry Joffrey. Bran does not remember what happened to him and will never walk again. Catelyn travels to King's landing with Rodrik Cassel to show the dagger to her husband and she is protected by her old friend Petyr 'Littlefinger' Baelish that hides her in her brothel. Jon Snow uses his skills to train the Night's Watch. Daenerys uses sex to control and impose on Khal Drogo and his warriors. Catelyn and Ned Stark discover the name of the owner of the dagger used by the assassin.

"Lord Snow" shows Catelyn and Ned Stark discovering the owner of the dagger. Ned also finds the economic situation of the realm. Arya now is learning how to fight sword and her bastard brother is finding leadership among the Night's Watch. But the best part is Daenerys finally acting like a queen. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Lord Snow"

Fantastic ambivalent dance

Author: igoatabase from France
2 May 2011

From beginning to end the experience was even more immersive than in the previous installments. The last sequence with Arya brought me back to the time I was dreaming about Willow. What a refreshing ending ! And how worrying to turn her cute and joyful sword dance into a battle Ned remembered ! Is she destined to become a Joan of Arc ? Will she have to disguise as a man to fight beside her father and brothers ? Daenerys, Jon Snow… There're so many characters to care about and others like Jaime Lannister to hate ! In fact I wonder why her evil brother is still alive. A king ? He seems all alone and powerless so I really hope we'll learn more about him in the upcoming episodes. But around them we really assisted to a ballet of wonders. From the exotic environments to the artifacts TV has never felt so fantastic. Comparing it to The Lord of the Rings trilogy is nearly an insult considering that show has already grown on us and imposed its own unique identity. Moreover once the episode was over I couldn't help imagining what would happen next and it's definitely the mark of greatness. The little boy in his bed who just woke up and wants to get scared because his reality couldn't be more frightening. The old lady did a vicious job at telling the story ! And what was happening on Jon's side perfectly matched her words. But in the end beside the majestic castles and bamboos in the wind the one scene I have decided to keep gently in a corner of my mind is the heartwarming passage between Ned and Arya in her bedroom. The most inspiring father and daughter relationship ! Last but not least I already want to learn Dothraki ! The unique language definitely contributes to the authenticity of the show.

A good introduction to Littlefinger, Varys and Syrio Forrell

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
3 September 2014

In the third episode, Ned and his daughters finally reach the capital of King's Landing. Where we meet a host of new characters. We are introduced to Petyr Baelish (Aidan Gillen), aka "Littlefinger," and Coneth Hill is perfect as Varys, the King's Master of Whisperers.

The scenes at the Wall give us plenty of Tyrion, (which in my opinion is a good thing) There are a lot of fine moments in this episode, in particular a couple of scenes with Arya. The high point is the final scene which features Arya as she studies swordsmanship.

Jaime's more fleshed out here. One of my favourite scenes was where Eddard enters the throne room (the first time we see both the throne room and the Iron Throne). It's another great tension filled scene between the two and I enjoyed it. Another great scene is the farewell between Jon and Tyrion. The scenes between the two of them have been some of my favourites so far, as I'm a bit sad that there may not be any more.

But a key scene for this episode is between Ned and Arya, and how they spend their time together. Maisie Williams is showcased, and is predictably fantastic, it's a well done scene and Maisie seems capable of great chemistry with Sean Bean and, indeed, everyone else she acts with so far.

Maisie Williams simply steals this episode for me. She had some good scenes including a rather hilarious line. Her scene with Ned (Sean Bean) was a touching one, and her scene with dancing master Syrio Forell is one of my favourites of the season so far.

As for the rest of the cast Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau proves to be a fine pantomime villain as Jaime Lannister and Harry Lloyd is terrific as Viserys.

I love Syrio

Author: ROUS Reviews from Maine
15 May 2011

Reviews Of Unusual Size! Re: Jon tries to adjust to life on the wall, Tyrion Pees, Arya practices, Richard drinks, the Lannister's scheme and Ned tries to adjust to life in the King's court.

Outstanding: This was a pretty enjoyable episode, considering it was mostly about people wandering around and getting used to the new status quo. Then Syrio, Arya's "Dancing" instructor showed up and it became the best thing ever.

Unacceptable: There might have been something I disliked, but the last scene wiped it away.

Summary: Seriously, Syrio is so awesome, I can't stand it. He was in it for like.... 5 minutes, tops and he's my favorite character. The scenes on the wall were really great too, the way Tyrion subtly helps Jon. Man, I love the casting in this show.

Arrival in King's Landing

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
2 August 2015

Ned and his daughters Arya and Sansa have arrived in the capital and Ned immediately finds himself at work as he meets the King's counsellors; these include Petyr Baelish, an old friend of Ned's wife who still carries a torch for her and Lord Varys, a man who seems to know everything that is happening in the kingdom. It isn't long before Catelyn Stark is also in the capital; she is trying to find out who provided the dagger that was to be used to kill Bran and soon the finger is pointing at Tyrion Lannister. Meanwhile Tyrion is at The Wall with Jon Snow; here we learn more about the Night Watch; they aren't the great army of legend, rather they are undermanned and unprepared for the long winter that is to come. Elsewhere we learn that Bran has no memory of how he came to fall from the wall and over the sea Daenerys learns that she is pregnant and Viserys learns that the Dothraki will side with his sister over him.

While this episode lacked real action it more than made up for it with intrigue and the introduction to soon interesting new characters. Aidan Gillen is suitably slippery as Baelish a character who manages to be friendly yet potentially dangerous, Conleth Hill is also great as Lord Varys; a mercurial character who seems to know everything he needs to survive in the dangerous city of King's Landing. The final introduction of the episode was Arya's 'dance' instructor Syrio Forel; he was only in it for a few minutes but I have a feeling he will be a great character; Miltos Yerolemou was great in the role. Here we also see Arya developing nicely as a character; Maisie Williams has a couple of great scenes; first with Sean Bean, playing her father, then when Syrio starts teaching her how to use a sword.

Other highlights of the episode included an interesting conversation between Queen Cersei and her son Joffrey; Lena Headey and Jack Gleeson are great in these roles… clearly the two characters are as bad as each other. The scene where Viserys makes the mistake of confronting his sister was rewarding as it showed that power is slipping from this vile character and his sister now has it; again Harry Lloyd and Emilia Clarke are great.

Overall another fine episode that shows you don't need lots of action in every episode to keep the audience gripped.

Full of Intrigue!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
24 May 2015

This is the third episode of the first season of Game of Thrones. There is nothing much in the way of action, but it does deliver on terms of political intrigue and rapid characterization. Everyone's character is developed even more in this episode. So far, my favorite scenes are the ones involving Ned Stark as the chief adviser to the king and Jon Snow in his training up north.

In this episode, "Lord Snow," Ned Stark and his daughters arrive in King's Landing and Ned is put to work right away. His wife comes to visit him to tell him about Bran's attempted murder. Jon Snow trains up north to much scorn but he may have found a Lannister friend. Meanwhile across the seas, Daenerys refuse to take orders from her brother.

Overall, this is a rather great episode. It's light on the episode, but the political side of the show is prevalent and interesting. I also liked how Arya is training with the sword, despite going against the rules of society.

My Grade: A

An Episode of Setups

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
17 April 2015

There is potential betrayal everywhere. The incestuous queen has a vision and it doesn't include her fat husband. She dotes on her son who is a frightened little ass who plans to run his kingdom on the backs of the northerners. His mother tells him to ignore what happens and he can make up his own stories later. Bran wakes but has no memory of things, but he knows he has permanently lost the use of his legs. There are so many pretenders now and how things shake out is what this show is about. What all would see as a little girl is beginning to show herself as the true warrior, but we will have to wait for that. Meanwhile, a winter like no one has seen seems to be entering. Winters here, like summers, can last for years.

Keeps going the same way. I think it's time for a more concrete plot soon...

Author: ipoweri
1 February 2015

The dialogue between queen Cersei and prince Joffrey Baratheon is interesting. It reveals that they are both horrible persons corrupted by their inherited power.

This is followed by the Stark family dinner which is a big contrast as they seem to be acting like rather normal humans. Arya Stark continues her great acting and turns out to be a character that has morale and will.

Commander Mormont tries to build up an army from more or less peasant, which is a slow struggle. Jon Snow teaches the peasants the way of the sword. Finally some sort of evolving plot and not just confusing deceit, nudity and violence without it being put into proper context.

The relationship between Jon Snow and the dwarf (Tyrion Lannister) is evolving into something interesting.

Then there seem to be some sibling trouble between the Targaryens, but I cannot understand what it is about and the logic behind the actions. Maybe it's because I have not read the books or paid enough attention, but this is the risk this shows carries by introducing so many characters so quick without properly giving the audience time to consume it...