IMDb > "New Girl" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"New Girl"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"New Girl" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

This show deserves a better review and a lot of love!

Author: ohkcomputer from Netherlands
5 October 2011

The 1 star review that shows up when I looked this up on IMDb is ridiculous! I watch quite a few shows (way too many) and this one genuinely gets a smile on my face without cheap tricks, fake laughter, annoying punchline tunes trying to convince me what just happened was funny.

The main characters in this show are already memorable in the pilot, they just have chemistry straight away. A lot of shows that I really love now didn't start off as well as 'New Girl' has for me.

The 'formula' feels fresh to me, I haven't seen this show before in another form and I absolutely love Zoey in this. Her personality in this show is exactly why I fall in love in real life. Just watched the third episode and I'll be sure to tune in next week!

Probably one of the funniest series

Author: crknt from Switzerland
10 March 2012

I think it is a very good show. It's been a while since I laughed that hard. I'd like to address a lot of the other reviews saying that it is not funny and unrealistic.

I feel that people rating this show badly have just been formatted by all the other series and movies. They are expecting a deep story and realism... I think they may have been mislead by Zooey Deschanel thinking it was going to be a lot more mature. It doesn't differ much from the big bang theory or How I Met your Mother in term of style. If anything it is better. But I don't see how you can not appreciate these characters. Saying they are unrealistic is like saying the ocean is full of water... It's a comedy TV show, not real life. So it's not a valid point in my opinion.

You should take it for what it is. They are very caricatured characters but it doesn't stop you from getting attached to their unique personality. I hope people don't get discouraged from giving it a chance because of the low reviews.

Great Show!!!

Author: macful from Birmingham, AL
5 October 2011

I really enjoy this show so far, only 3 episodes in, I can't believe the bad reviews people are giving it. Jess(Zooey) is so endearing and funny, some people are saying it's same show different actors, but really what show is this like? It's similar to three's company from 30 years ago. I really hope this show makes it, Zooey Deschanel is perfect for this character. This is the first review I've written, I check out a lot of shows but I really only enjoy a few and this is one. I was just appalled at what people were saying about this show. Sure I could take or leave the other guys in the show but maybe with time they will grow on you. Nick isn't so bad.

Light, refreshing comedy

Author: Poudie from Canada
26 April 2012

From the first episode, I found New Girl to be my favourite new series. The premise of the show, a girl living with 3 guys and hilarity ensues, is not the most original, nor the most realistic. But I find the characters to be intriguing, so that I keep wanting to return to see what happens next.

After a few episodes, the characters become more relatable than in the pilot. Jess is totally awkward, and it seems half the time her head is in the clouds, and half the time she's the most down to earth character. Her extroverted nature becomes more manageable as the series develops, so don't let it put you off initially.

Nick is a 30-something drop out that still lives with a student mindset. He comes up with some creative ways to not spend money. He's portrayed as not living up to his potential, yet his manner draws you in, kind of like a helpless puppy that you find adorable and pitiful at the same time.

Other reviews are fairly down on Schmidt. Yes, initially, he reeks of douche bag. But he's an ex-fat-kid that now overcompensates for his lack of self esteem with douchey mannerisms. Given that, he's a fairly realistic character with a well developed history. His arrogance is always portrayed in a humorous way, and has become my favourite part of the show.

Winston had his 15 minutes of fame and now is dealing with just being a nobody in a big city again. Fair enough, token black guy.

There is a lot of awkward humour in this show - the kind of moments that make you cringe, yet you can't look away, and feel guilty about wanting to laugh. But every episode does make me laugh out loud. There's a touch of light drama, for those that just want a light hearted show that won't make you think too much.

Overall, I think this is a show about nothing. Every episode seems to be a bunch of intertwining events that happen, like in most sitcoms, but this reminds me most of Seinfeld (the ultimate show about nothing), in that there is no ultimate destination that the storyline needs to arrive at - no huge expectations or conclusions being hung on the season finale. It's just humorous interactions, some fairly plain and everyday events, and some totally wacky events. Just a bright, light hearted show, to be enjoyed for what it is.

Surprisingly Great

Author: rubenvanbergen from Nijmegen, The Netherlands
23 February 2013

Contrary to my expectations, this is not the Zooey Deschanel show. Because that is what I thought it would be when my friend told me about it. I mean, the premise of this show is that she - Zooey Deschanel - plays a bubbly, quirky-but-cute girl who moves into an all-guys apartment. Now, that's the same character she plays in every film and every series she's ever been in. It's also the same persona she uses when she sings in her band, or gives interviews, or (I imagine) blogs about baking Dr. Seuss-themed cupcakes for a company of lumberjacks.

Don't get me wrong - it works. For me. On so many levels. But the problem is that she is just so aware of it. She's a dazzling indie girl with a brain and a body, and my god does she know it. So a show completely focusing on that would be unbearable.

But surprisingly, this show isn't about that at all. It isn't even really about her character that much. Most of the comedy comes from the male characters, who are played by non-famous and extremely talented actors, and who find themselves in situations which as funny as they are fresh and relatable.

So, to reiterate, this is not a show about Zooey Deschanel. This is a show about life as a twenty-something in the twenty-first century. It's Friends except not set or made in the nineties. It's great and it makes me laugh a lot. And I highly recommend it.

what the..??

Author: hallveig-1 from Iceland
1 April 2012

what is going on in the heads of the people writing such bad reviews of this lovely little show?

I have to say as many of the others, this show is like a breath of fresh air, there are some great comedies out there these days like Modern family and HIMYM, but this one is a bit different.. it's sweet and endearing, a bit like Friends. And I'm laughing my ass of over every episode. Zooey does a great job here like usually, and I like the rest of the cast as well. The first couple of episodes were a little slow to start but the show has really found it's footing now. I really recommend it!

Addicting Show!

Author: Sd2338 from United States
30 March 2013

I saw a trailer for this show when it first aired and I thought it looked "cute" but not super interesting. I WAS SO WRONG. This show is spectacular. The humor is unbelievable. I really hate stupid awkward moments that make people uncomfortable, but the awkward moments in this show are so laughable it makes it so funny to watch. Each character has their own crazy personality. The characters remind me of The Big Bang Theory characters, each one is super important, has their own humor, and the chemistry is fantastic. I like how they make it OK to be adults in their 30s and not have their entire lives figured out and it's really relatable to a wide category of viewers. the main character Jess is adorable, hilarious, and so likable. Its great fun and super entertaining and you'll surely laugh out loud.

Funny, intelligent, amazing.

Author: maria joao from Portugal
1 April 2013

New Girl is the type of series that you won't want to stop watching. IT will certainly put you in a good mood and you'll find yourself laughing while watching it.

The characters are incredibly well-written, each one of them having a back story that is easy to keep up with and very believable. It doesn't take long for us to feel like we're also living in this apartment where Jess moves in after being cheated on by her boyfriend. Soon enough, you'll be feeling like these characters are your friends too and you know them well. Each one of them has their particularities; they all have different personalities and obsessions that make them unique and set them apart from each other.

The fact that there's some plot development throughout the series makes it an interesting show to actually follow and not just watch once in a while. We also see some character development, changes in the characters' personalities that make us either proud or disappointed.

Truth is, there's no chance this show won't leave a mark on you. It's funny, but still intelligent. It's not some dumb show that simply aims at making the viewer laugh. The jokes are not corny and the events are not random. This is one comedy show like no other: The characters are not stereotyped, and the storyline is not typical and easily foreseeable.

Give this show a chance. You won't regret it.

Finally a Series with some intelligent jokes

Author: per-nykvist from Sweden
2 September 2012

Now most of todays TV-shows are sitcoms, where the jokes 99 of a 100 times are cheap, cheap as ****.

The show is about 3 guys who let a girl move in and live them, which probably warns a lot of people that i think would like this show to not see this show.

But what it is about and what they do is far from anything important in a Comedy TV-Series.

The bottom line is, that this show has intelligent humor and another important ingredient is that the creators are spot on which characters that should have the most airtime.

New Girl......refreshing at some times...desperate at others.

Author: Dhruv Maniar from India
22 July 2012

okay...another sitcom.....let's try I thought.23 minutes doesn't hurt...and after watching a full season...my impression of the show changed!! So this is the story abt a girl who lives on rainbows and rides unicorns,story of Jessica Day.The central character of the show has to be a fabulous actor,and the creators got that right...Zooey Deschanel does full justice to her role and is nothing the TV world has ever seen before,she comes like a breath of fresh air that passes after a few episodes,she herself does fine buy the world around her crumbles!! We have supporting actors as Schmidt,Nick,Winston and Cece....

I have seen many sitcom like two and a half men and FRIENDS....and after watching a whole season you are left with iron clad impressions about the characters like Charlie is a drunk sex-addict,Alan is a gold digger Chandler is funny and phoebe is weird.Well Except for Zooey,i don't have any such impressions about any of the characters after watching 20-odd episodes.

SCHMIDT-After Jess, Schmidt is the only decently thought out character,i say decent not good,good enough that you can write 5 lines for your homework.He has acted well throughout,and has been given enough scope for the same.

NICK-He seems to be the troubled one of the group and the underdog ,law school dropout and a pathetic bartender.He has been shown crying and drinking a lot while talking to his ex girlfriend,but in normal life he has been shown as most emotionally stunted and sober....clearly his personality is hazy as there is no link between drunk and non-drunk state.Alcohol heightens normal tendencies,it doesn't change ur DNA and make you a mutant.He doesn't have much scope of acting and hasn't made full use of whatever given to him.Seems un-natural and not at ease at times.I still cant make a STATEMENT about nick.

WINSTON-minimum scope of acting among guys,does a decent job but still isn't memorable.Just a normal guy,nothing special.

Cece-She is HOTT!!!....and soon after u think that,you don't see her in rest of the episode.She has done a decent job acting and successfully poses as a strong ally and the only girlfriend for Jess but as her character started to take shape towards the end of the season,and Schmidt realizes there is more to her than a 'hot girl i'm having sex with',when she meets her old relative and shows a family oriented side of her character,after some episodes Schmidt reads a message on her cell indicating her sexual involvement with another man.So the creators ruined her image as well,and left people thinking what her true nature is!!

FACTUAL ERROR....in 4th or 5th episode Jess has trouble saying the word pen*s,due to her immature and childish character.Creators probably forgot that she said the same word sitting by a bar in the 1st episode itself. ...also it has been showed that she used to live with her boyfriend Spencer before she moved in with the guys in 2nd episode,but in another episode its said that she used to live with Cece and she got bored of living with models that's why she moved....maybe we have twins....that would spice up the plot :P

As it is clear most characters lack a good personality because of which i don't see this show making a lasting impression on the TV world,nor do i expect this to go on for more than 3-4 seasons.It gets pretty clear that the writers are struggling and picking up random stuff to make episodes,they will run out of ideas pretty soon.This show despite of Zooey's charm and few thing's here and there about additional characters,does need something dramatic to survive.First 3-4 episodes are magical....straight downhill from there.!!

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]