Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension

This should have been released in theaters

Author: ItsACaptainDan from United States
6 August 2011

I absolutely love this movie. Phineas and Ferb always reminded me of the Saturday morning cartoons of childhood past. The regular episodes are somewhat silly and hilarious, but this movie is a true summer blockbuster. It's full of well-done action sequences mixed with doses of good humor. The songs are great, ranging from hard rock to disco, compared to some of the ones in regular episodes, which seem forced at times. Plus, the plot isn't too complicated but not your average children's made-for-TV movie plot line. The pacing is a bit fast though, and comedic timing is lost through hurried lines and lack of pauses. The animation, although much better than normal TV episodes, is a bit sloppy at times, is at times sloppy. If you're a long-time or even a short-time fan of this series, the movie will make you laugh at references to previous episodes. In short, I absolutely love this movie. If it was released in theaters, with crisper animation and better comedic timing, it might be one of the best things Disney has released this decade.

Phineas and Ferb Strike Again

Author: Nicole Gius from Dallas, Texas
6 August 2011

Going into it, I figured this movie would be pretty decent, seeing as it's Phineas and Ferb. But alas, I was wrong. It was GREAT. 'Across the 2nd Dimension' stayed extremely true to the show. It has the same fun, wild, free spirit and takes you for one heck of a ride. You get to experience an entirely new dimension of the Phineas and Ferb world, one where Doofenshmirtz isn't so doofy. At first it seems cool, but the gang later realizes how grateful they are for their own dimension-and their platypus.

Spoil anything I will not, so give this one a watch. Trust me, you won't regret it. It will have been well worth your time.

A must see for die-hard fans and casual fans alike. A solid 10/10.

Phineas and Ferb have done it again!

Author: Spritedude23 from United States
10 August 2011

Step-brothers Phineas and Ferb have had a lot of great adventures over the course of their summer (ex. Traveling through time (twice) Building a Roller Coaster and going around the world in a single day) but this one seems to take the cake. There's a good helping of action, and enough jokes to keep viewers young and old laughing. I was very impressed by this Disney Channel production, because, not only was it so much better than any of the other original movies but it was even better than a lot of the actual episodes of it's own TV series. Which is saying a lot because the TV series is groundbreaking entertainment with phenomenal writing and animation. I never thought I'd say this but: Bravo Disney Channel!

Fast-paced, intelligently written

Author: vchimpanzee
23 August 2011

At age 50, and too cheap for cable, I have almost no knowledge of today's animated kids' shows. It wasn't all that long ago, though, that I was still watching cartoons on network TV on Saturday morning (of course, I watch cartoons on Sunday evenings on Fox, but that's a totally different matter since those should not be seen by children). Still, I had never seen "Phineas and Ferb" before this movie and knew next to nothing about them.

Still, this movie has enough intelligent writing to make it tolerable for adults, enjoyable characters, and a fun plot involving an alternate dimension. The main villain is enough of a bumbling idiot to be appealing, though his alternate-universe counterpart was plenty scary.

The music was certainly not my taste for the most part, but I don't think it was supposed to be. Actually, like many of the cartoons of my childhood, this movie's music doesn't seem particularly contemporary (Slash was popular 20 years ago, for example), but it's plenty loud.

The kids from our universe are geniuses, and we can be sure that no matter how bad things get, they'll figure out a solution. This sis good for kids to see because maybe it will make them want to study.

I do question the TV-G rating, given the amount of violence. ABC has a tendency to put a TV-PG on squeaky-clean content, so it's nice that they're recognizing this is a clean movie. But this movie has only the cartoon kind of violence, though, and most of it is against robots, and not really enough to justify a TV-PG rating when TV-PG can be given to content that is much worse.

I especially liked the nonsensical but humorous lines given to one of the robots. I don't recall him being given a name, but Irving's voice was Jack McBrayer of "30 Rock", so that was probably him.

It's certainly worth seeing if you're a kid.

Amazing, fantastic movie!

Author: xxkovu-jonasxx from New York
4 August 2011

Now I know why this movie was and is nominated as "Best Animated TV Film of All Time"! This movie was so, so good! I love the series, and the movie gave me a whole new perspective. There were very few flaws in this movie. This movie is charming, funny, surprising and chock full of action! I recommend this to anyone and everyone who enjoys a good animated film, or any of the Disney movies. This truly compliments the series and the ending is a shocker!

SPOILERS: The whole movie is based upon Doctor Doofenshmirtz new "Inator" and how Phineas and Ferb come to be in the opposite dimension of their own. The movie is very edgy and very entertaining, especially the whole twist they put onto the plot (Phineas and Ferb finding out Perry leads a double life, Isabella kissing Phineas as their minds are about to be wiped, etc.)

Overall I give this film a 10/10. See this on TV, buy it on DVD, view it on Netflix- I don't care! See this film, especially if you have a child.

A Disney Channel Original Movie which is actually pretty good

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
6 September 2011

To be honest, I dislike most of the modern Disney Channel's shows. Especially the live-action shows. I never liked shows as "Hannah Montana", "The Suite Life of Zack & Cody" or "Wizards of Waverly Place".

However, "Phineas and Ferb" was an honorable exception to this, being one of the very few modern cartoons that I actually like. While at first "Phineas and Ferb" seemed like a predictable show (Having the same basic premise played in most of the episodes) I was surprised of how good that show turned out to be, being witty and clever, with lots of likable characters and catchy songs.

So, when this movie was announced, I had very big expectations about it. And I wasn't disappointed. In some ways, "Across the 2nd Dimension" it's like a extended episode of the series, but that's a good thing: Despite the fact that the story is somewhat darker than the original show, this movie still has all the charm and fun of the original series, something that (Just to give an example) "The Simpsons" movie lacked, managing to keep the best elements from "Phineas and Ferb" (The humor, the good music, the interesting and hilarious relationships of the characters) "Across the 2nd Dimension" is a solid TV film, that delivers exactly what it promised and it never disappoints, being quite enjoyable without having to see the original series first. But I would recommend to watch the series too, because it is quite good.

Surprisingly well made kids-movie

Author: Zach Weandesh
5 August 2013

Albeit not being a real fan of the TV-Show, I must admit that I watch it (like many other adults, I presume) occasionally for the sole reason of Heinz Doofenshmirtz, who is targeted to older audiences and always manages to get a chuckle out of me.

Keeping in mind, that it is the film-feature based on a kids TV-show (with your mandatory song per episode), I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. The animation is slightly above that of the show, it is cleverly written and the tone more 'serious' than that of the show itself. Because of that it is enjoyable for children as well as their parents.

I can recommend this movie for all fans of the show and assure any parent, that it is a much better rental/buy than many Direct-To-DVD Disney movies.

Addendum: Watching the show prior to the movie is not required, but being familiar with some of the shows themes, might improve your experience of the movie. Due to the nature of the show it is not necessary to watch more than one or two episodes, since the plot is always roughly the same.

What I Think About This Amazing Movie

Author: valerita-bella from El Salvador
9 October 2011

I qualify this movie a 10 because I think that is just what you deserve, do not think it's a excessive rating because I love it! In the series, Phineas and Ferb are creative and funny inventions and his sister Candace is accused with his mother, but always fails. Meanwhile, his pet, Perry fights vs the evil Dr. Doof. In the film, Perry recommends the worst comes true when in the second dimension, Phineas and Ferb know his secret, besides they are now trapped in the second dimension, which governs the evil by Doof. Now they have to find ways to prevent back and dominate your dimension Doof too. The movie seemed to me very creative and fun, in my opinion is the best "disney channel original movie" yet. Now it's my movie favorite. Just in case they had curiosity, My favorite character is Perry

How can this be any good?!

Author: Daniel Dell from Houston, Texas
12 July 2015

It's literally the worst Disney animated film ever!! OH MY GOD!!! The animation is so awful, the songs are really painful to listen to, the humor is completely dry, the writing makes no sense, the characters are really forgettable, the premise is just awful, and the ACTING??!! Holy Jesus, it's awful!! They did the film a lot worse than the TV Show or its spin-off. CURSE YOU FOR RUINING Disney, DAN AND SWAMPY!!!! If you like this movie, shame on you. So, NO!! DO NOT EVER WATCH THIS!! STAY AWAY FROM IT!!!! I say just stick with the much BETTER Disney films than this, like Big Hero 6, Wreck-it Ralph, Tangled, Frozen, or ANY Disney FILM OTHER THAN THIS!!! I will never forgive Dan and Swampy for making this AWFUL DISGRACE TO Disney FILM!!!! WORST Disney MOVIE EVER!!!

Somewhat Darker and More Serious

Author: Athanatos from San Diego, CA
6 September 2011

This 77-minute adventure is more like an animated action film with jokes and songs than like a longer episode of the television series.

A typical episode to P&F entails a three-way collision of the child-like genius of Phineas and Ferb, of the childish genius of Heinz Dofenschmirtz, and of the just-plain childishness of Candace Flynn. Phineas and Ferb have great fun, Doofenschmirtz is hoisted on his own petard, Candace is thwarted, and the only one who has any clue as to what has really happened is, well, a platypus.

But this time there's a different three-way collision, and the result is that Phineas and Ferb, oblivious to the sort of fellow that Doofenschmirtz is, help him to create a portal into a parallel universe. Not that big of a deal, perhaps, except that in that next universe, there is a Doofenschmirtz who is more genuinely evil, and with greater practical sense than the familiar Doof. This Doofenschmirtz has conquered his Tri-State Area, and imposed a totalitarian regime, with violent robotic enforcers. This alternate Tri-State Area has its comedic touches; but, for the most part, it isn't written for laughs.

Ultimately, an alliance is formed that draws together Perry, children of two worlds, and finally even the familiar Heinz Doofenschmirtz, to stop a man who has crushed one land and seeks to crush another. In the course of things, various people and at least one aquatic mammal learn what they have really meant one to another.

(And the viewer might also see what some of the characters have come to mean to the writers.)

As an action film for kids, this is pretty well written, Whoever did the story-boards had a very solid understanding of the What, Where, and When of an action film. Even when one knows what is about to be delivered, the delivery is usually very satisfying. There are some coherence issues here and there, but nothing really dreadful; and they would have been hard to resolve without making this film far too strong for some of its intended audience.