IMDb > "NYC 22" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"NYC 22"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"NYC 22" More at IMDbPro »

Good job, keep going!

Author: kis-aleksandar from Serbia
23 April 2012

For years I have not seen on TV and a real good series about cops on the street. When I saw the pilot episode, I fell in love in the series. In this series there is no political correctness that has ruined many a series of police. The series follows a group of young officers who were suddenly thrown into the real world. Colleagues who do not like them, rough areas, each of the young police officers has a story that appears in the series. Although there are a couple of clichés, the series was really great refreshment on television.

Message for writers and producers: - Proceed as in the first episode. - Do not turn this into a series of quasi-drama for the housewives - I do not want to go deeper into the love stories of police officers - We want to see their lives and work on the street - Display their private lives just to have as much to do with their work in the police.

Good job, keep going!

Not quite what you would expect

Author: terry-351-45582 from United States
23 April 2012

I just finished watching the first episode and was pretty disappointed with what I saw. It's definitely not a Third Watch or Southland. Anyone who has spent any time working in law enforcement on either coast would likely agree that many of the situations just aren't very realistic. We all have to give television some liberties in order to tell their stories but the story line from episode one of NYC 22 was a little tough to swallow.

The show follows six rookie cops fresh out of the academy who are all assigned to the same field training officer (FTO.) They are dropped on a street corner to patrol a foot beat while completely unsupervised. Unlike what would happen in real life, each rookie is partnered with another rookie rather than an FTO and instructed "don't get yourself hurt and don't hurt anyone else." Then the rookies are responsible for figuring out the rest of the job on their own. You can only imagine what kind of disasters these officers find themselves in as they manage to even get themselves kidnapped, surrender their weapons to the bad guys, and never once check in with dispatch to announce their location or call for back up.

Rather than being radio dispatched to calls, they seem to chauffeured by their supervisor around mid town to handle certain tasks, such as detaining gang members to prevent those gangs from participating in a good old fashioned 1960's style rumble with chains, bottles, and knives. I'm really not making that up. (Sarcasm Alert!) Anyone who has spent any time working working anti-crime or gang enforcement in large cities such as NYC or LA knows that its chains and bottles that make these gangs so scary and not drive-by's with Uzies. Let us not forget either, it's always best to throw your rookies into gang detail on their first day to deal with these problems rather than waste their time teaching them how to fill out a speeding ticket.

It's difficult to buy into the premise that rookies are assigned to assist elderly widows of NYPD officers with unclogging their toilets at home, yet you will see that in NYC 22. In fact, the writers would like us to believe that the rookie assigned to unclog the toilet was a former NBA superstar who blew out his knee while playing and now wears an NYPD shield. Apparently this seasons NBA lock out was much more difficult on the players than any of us even knew! Not only can these athletes not support themselves after their career is over, disability coverage to care for you after being injured in a game also doesn't pay squat. The good news for former NBA players, if you are on disability with a bad knee and can run anymore, the NYPD will take you!! Police crime dramas are different than other types of shows. With most shows when you depict a police officer the details are not important, but with crime dramas the viewers are trying emerge themselves in that life. Most of us want to see and feel what a cop sees and feels himself when he goes to work everyday. This makes the attention to detail extremely important not just for each and every character but for wardrobe and props as well. Even the most finite details such as bullet proof vests or the way an officer handles their weapon shouldn't be overlooked in a show like this. Third Watch and Southland have both been meticulous about this and I would really like to see NYC 22 make the same move.

I'm not completely writing this show off just yet. Many shows have a rough start just like I believe that NYC 22 has had. I believe Robert De Nero is just an absolutely incredibly talented individual. I have a lot of faith in his ability as a producer to turn this show into something amazing. Hopefully, I'll be able to write a followup to this sometime in the short future to offer my praise. In the mean time, I still plan to watch a few more episodes to see where it goes.

Good luck to NYC 22. I hope you make it because I do like a good old fashioned cops and robbers TV Show.

At last, a real NY eye candy

Author: omricn from Israel
16 April 2012

The only reason I am not voting 10 for this masterpiece is because I don't want this review to seem too rash, but believe me, this one is the new, if not a better - third watch. For those of you who enjoy the fast pacing, fresh, almost intoxicating feeling of the New York jungle style police\action drama shows, and miss the writing and acting style forgotten in the scripts of "third watch", "ER" (though set in Chicago) and a likes - you are going to feel that "thing" again.. I almost fear of liking this show too much as unfortunately the TV crowd these days have succumbed to the vampire\zombie trash (no offense)and cannot take in the amazing atmosphere this great show has to offer. Atmosphere, that's what it's all about, and it's back!

story wise - I can say for sure it's started out quite good, giving the viewer the usual point of view of the inner works of the police precinct, the usual good and bad guys, which will soon surprise us (or not..) as being the opposite, but that's a good thing, that's what we are missing today, something old and comforting, almost womb like, but still fresh and new.

Actors - I had good hopes for this show solely after looking at the casting, and they delivered; Adam Goldberg, with his Jeff Goldblumish feel is amazing as always, Leelee Sobieski we all know and love is a bit slow at the beginning but catching on, the new skin's are quite good as well, especially Harold House Moore which shines and promises a good, stable and confident acting role.

watch this one, you'll see what I mean, this one should be with us for a long time.

Good series despite some issues

Author: joed1667 from charlotte nc
31 July 2012

This is the only show I watch on network TV, which isn't saying much. It has that Jack Webb sense about it in which they show a more polished department and officers, which are always so helpful and has the time to dedicate to the little stuff and solves every crime. These officers are not rookies, they're supercops, able to solve every crime in a single bound or should I say....60 minutes! It does give you a slight insight of the people real police officers have to deal with on a daily basis and the emotions they must feel, now only if they could develop sensorsmell for the TV. It'll have you fleeing your homes.

I was disappointed with one episode in which it looked like the series was heading for most of the officers to start having relations with their partners or other officers in the same precinct. This is why I only watched NYPD Blue for a couple of seasons, it was turning into a soap opera just as ER did and all these other drama's. Why the writers in Hollywood have to ruin these shows is beyond me but if they continue down that path with NYC 22, it'll last as long as Brooklyn South. And for us old fogies, can you lose the opening theme song?

Knockoff of Rookie Blue

Author: dajuka from United States
22 April 2012

At first watch, NYC 22 is knockoff of ABC's Rookie Blue. Perhaps Blue set the bar too high for this type of crime/drama/police show. Instead of finding 22 complementary to Rookie Blue, I found it inferior and difficult to watch without making comparisons.

Both cop shows with rookie officers, the plot line of the first NYC 22 episode was interesting, but again, I kept seeing where they'd spun off of or would do something very similar in Rookie Blue. Maybe because the shows are on a different network, but it's going to be difficult to make these two shows work in tandem like the CSI's. Unless you just really love rookie cop shows, go with Rookie Blue and don't waste your time with NYC 22.

While 22's cast is more established ((total aside, watching Lazarus (Adam Goldburg, sp?), I kept thinking, that's Joey's weird roommate!)) overall, Rookie Blue has a less well known but more cohesive and enjoyable cast.

Wasted opportunity

Author: andylewis10
11 May 2012

I really wanted to like this show - Bob De Niro and the NYPD - what could go wrong (yeah, OK, I'm not counting Righteous Kill here). Also a good 'patrol-cop' show has been needed since the departure of Third Watch (which went off-street to a degree in later shows) with only Southland (which is part detective driven) filling the void.

The first 10 minutes or so of the pilot are very good. Camera work is nothing special but they catch the first day of work nerves well, along with the edgy aggression which greets newcomers in para-military environments.

After that things go downhill.

terry-351-45582's review sums up the faults of plot logic and realism (even by TV standards) better than I could - but in summary the whole thing feels over-dramatized and exaggerated - particularly with regard to character back-story. For example, I get the feeling that Toney was originally written as a failed high-school athlete, which at some point warped into him being a former NBA star who somehow needs a city wage(say what?).

Some are comparing this unfavorably to Rookie Blue, which it certainly resembles in many ways. However it really starts to suffer when compared to Southland, which is arguably the same genre but which has managed to avoid too many clichés (and had some interesting camera work). I'll stick with it, but I'm not hopeful. Fingers crossed.

Worth watching

Author: jpmist
8 May 2012

I haven't watched a TV cop series since Hill Street Blues, but I made a point of watching the premier of NYC 22 when I saw that Richard Price was writer/producer. I think highly of his writing and have enjoyed his novels very much.

The series has a wide variety of rookie cops which keeps the pace of action interesting. I appreciate the lack of shaky cam and the fact that every street they show in the series hasn't been recently wet down. (Not a cloud in the sky and it just rained? A pet peeve of mine.)

Yes, there were a few scenes that were groaners. Plus some obvious paint by numbers plot points and character choices that must have looked good on paper, but you do what you have to to get a series on the air I guess.

There's some good humor in the writing and the show has a good balance between character and action which is why I went on to watch the second episode and will keep watching the remaining 10 and hope it gets renewed. So far I think it's definitely worth a look.

Just another cop show

Author: SnoopyStyle
8 September 2013

It's a cop show that's reminiscent of countless other cop shows. It follows the story of six rookie cops which is so similar to Rookie Blue. The difference being Rookie Blue is probably much cheaper to produce filming in Toronto and not having big stars.

The show is led by movie veterans Adam Goldberg and Leelee Sobieski. Both of whom just don't fit the traditional cop character. Leelee looks like a girlie girl, and wouldn't have a chance against most criminals. Adam is way too old. Although they explain it away that he was a former reporter on the police beat, it's still hard to accept.

If they wanted to do a show centering on Adam Goldberg's character, they may have something original. But being just one of many, it just seem too gimmicky. It's as if they were trying to figure out what special weird thing can each character get. If they centered it on him, they would have more time to expand on his character.

Ambitious, but lacking

Author: maverick494 from United Kingdom
27 April 2012

I heard many say this is a rip-off from Rookie Blue. While I love that show, I am not as territorial as others and wanted to give this a fair chance.

The premise is the same, a bunch of fresh rookies finally get confronted with with the real world, and we see them struggle in their new role. It's a tried and true formula, which has been used in different ways and can result in compelling television. The Pilot is supposed to engage us, get us interested in the characters and kick off to a healthy start that sets the tone for the season. Did it do so successfully? To be honest with you: no.

There are some nice things. The shots of New York aren't the flashy overused ones you see in most films and TV series. Here you get to see the city without its makeup and it reflects on everything. The police station is worn and stuffy, colleagues are gruff and etiquette is non existent. It's not a welcoming environment and it builds tension, because all the rookies stick out like a sore thumb. They are out of their comfort zone, even if they grew up in this city. Then, their journey begins. And this is where the show loses it's stride, in my opinion.

The acting, for one, is a problem. LeeLee Sobieski for example, has terrible line delivery. There's a scene...

------------------ *SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER* ...where a boy on the street calls her a 'fine looking bitch' and she returns, twists his hands and threatens to make his life hell if he doesn't respect her. The scene is obviously set up to show she's tough even though she's a thin blonde girl. The idea itself is pretty weak, but a strong actress could have pulled it off. LeeLee didn't. For one, the way she twists his hand is so amateur looking, you don't even have to be a martial artist to spot the difference. Secondly, the way she says it is cringe worthy and immediately put me off. I'm all for strong female characters, but not in this way. *END SPOILER* --------------------

I know this seems like a small detail to fuss over, but things like this take me out of the experience, like spotting a microphone hanging in the air does. There are more instances like this, where mediocre writing becomes actrocious because an actor simply can't sell it. Judy Marte (Tonya Sanchez) sometimes comes across as too cold, with an expressionless face that wouldn't do bad on a mannequin in a clothing store.

Then of course, there are the clichés. The black guy boasting he'd "hit it before the end of the day", the Afghan guy getting pestered with Kite Runner references, etc. It's annoying because it's stereotypical (and no I'm not going to use the racist card, as it's overused already). If they wanted to create friction in the group or set a tone, there are more subtle and more effective ways of doing it.

The characters seem still too much of a cardboard to be real, and this feeling keeps nagging in the second episode. They don't seem like real people. That said, there are some good performances there, though most don't come from the main cast. Maybe this is the kind of show that needs to find it's footing first before it hits its stride, but for now it's lackluster. It seriously needs to up its game if it wants to make it beyond season 1.

This ain't Hill Street Blues.

Author: jhillegass-297-639457
29 April 2012

Although there may be some interest in this program for its subject matter I don't think anyone will view this as an accurate portrayal of the life (at work) of a couple of rookies and their Training Officer. There are some production values that have promise but the cast of characters (not the protagonists) are so clichéd that the presentation quickly becomes "boring". I love it when rookies solve the major crime at issue with a display of Sherlock Holmesian insight and street wise experience of Serpico!

There seems little depth to most of the characters and the story line seems like it was developed to compress the 1990s into Tuesday night.

There have been too many NYPD programs for anyone to suffer the illusion that the Gotham police work is anything but tedium mostly.

Sorry this one needs help.